PDA

View Full Version : Ok. I give up. Why not some diamond formation?

thunderclap
09-28-2015, 10:58 AM
If Dak is gimp, get other options in there besides Shump in a one-back set. Three 200+ pound backs in there together. Something's gotta give.

Original48
09-28-2015, 11:03 AM
I like it.

DownwardDawg
09-28-2015, 11:05 AM
I would love a "package" for Fitz. He looks great running the ball and a lot of teams do this from time to time.

TrapGame
09-28-2015, 11:10 AM
I would love a "package" for Fitz. He looks great running the ball and a lot of teams do this from time to time.

Exactly! I'd like to see Fitz and Staley get some reps in big games. Plus, it would be something other teams would have to think about preparing for us.

Bubb Rubb
09-28-2015, 11:19 AM
If Dak is gimp, get other options in there besides Shump in a one-back set. Three 200+ pound backs in there together. Something's gotta give.

Which WRs are you going to take off the field to allow this?

For better or worse, our WR corps are the strength of the team. We will be doing a lot of pass to set up the run, and bubble screen type plays as extended running plays.

Irondawg
09-28-2015, 11:20 AM
I actually wondered if we should be using Fitz to run out the clock since he's faster and honestly looks better running the read option than Dak right now. Sure it comes down to trust on ball security though.

But yeah, why not some diamond to try and get the ground game going or heck just go back to our 2009 offense and move Shump to that FB role

thf24
09-28-2015, 11:21 AM

For better or worse, our WR corps are the strength of the team. We will be doing a lot of pass to set up the run, and bubble screen type plays as extended running plays.

That, and the diamond formation accomplishes the opposite of what our offensive philosophy is, which is to spread the field horizontally.

msstate7
09-28-2015, 11:21 AM

Exactly

FISHDAWG
09-28-2015, 11:31 AM
I actually wondered if we should be using Fitz to run out the clock since he's faster and honestly looks better running the read option than Dak right now. Sure it comes down to trust on ball security though.

But yeah, why not some diamond to try and get the ground game going or heck just go back to our 2009 offense and move Shump to that FB role

because our ground game is an abort... right now

DancingRabbit
09-28-2015, 11:46 AM

Plus Dak's arm (and brain). With 142 attempts and no picks, Dan trusts the passing game like he never has before.

GTHOM
09-28-2015, 12:10 PM
Mullen has something against the diamond. Weve used it at times slightly but not much. I dont think we really need it but it would be a good wrinkle

thunderclap
09-28-2015, 12:12 PM
I agree about our strengths. Ain't no doubt. But I remember mixing in a little diamond in the past and seemed to have some success. Anything to get us some yards on the ground now and then. I don't mean become a diamond formation offense.

Bubb Rubb
09-28-2015, 12:20 PM
I agree about our strengths. Ain't no doubt. But I remember mixing in a little diamond in the past and seemed to have some success. Anything to get us some yards on the ground now and then. I don't mean become a diamond formation offense.

We never had tons of success with it. I don't understand the clamoring for it. Oklahoma State ran all over us with it and all of the sudden we have fans that want to run it and keep bringing it up over and over. Bottom line is that we don't have the personnel to run it the way it's meant to be run, and it goes against our overall offensive philosophy this year, so I think it's about time to let the legend of the diamond formation die.

Johnson85
09-28-2015, 12:22 PM
The usual answer is that because every package you put in is time away from your primary offense, so just b/c there is a wrinkle that gives you something good doesn't mean you incorporate it.

But the answer this year is that our offense is struggling b/c Dan doesn't have one good running back that he's comfortable putting out there, so where is he going to get three of them?

Coach007
09-28-2015, 12:28 PM
Where is this talk of Dak being hurt coming from. I didn't hear cdm say it.... Not read it anywhere

thunderclap
09-28-2015, 12:29 PM
How about the wishbone then?

This is where I'm joking.

HoopsDawg
09-28-2015, 12:32 PM
Oklahoma State ran all over us with it and all of the sudden we have fans that want to run it and keep bringing it up over and over. Bottom line is that we don't have the personnel to run it the way it's meant to be run, and it goes against our overall offensive philosophy this year, so I think it's about time to let the legend of the diamond formation die.

That's a Bingo.

Johnson85
09-28-2015, 12:42 PM
Where is this talk of Dak being hurt coming from. I didn't hear cdm say it.... Not read it anywhere

Mullen doesn't talk about injuries period, but I don't think you'd hear any coach advertise a weakness of their starting QB. I think people are assuming that based on Dak's lack of running this year, that there must be an injury that's limiting him.

msstate7
09-28-2015, 12:44 PM
Mullen doesn't talk about injuries period, but I don't think you'd hear any coach advertise a weakness of their starting QB. I think people are assuming that based on Dak's lack of running this year, that there must be an injury that's limiting him.

Bo bounds mentioned it on radio this morning.

BrunswickDawg
09-28-2015, 12:48 PM
Bo bounds mentioned it on radio this morning.
Goes back to the rumored sports hernia surgery earlier in the summer that has popped up here and there.