PDA

View Full Version : So, did Derek Mason slip his "bad football" chart to Butch Jones?

DancingRabbit
09-28-2015, 09:59 AM
When Tenn scored in the 4th qtr to go up 26-14, he elected to kick the PAT for a 13 point lead.

In his post-game presser he claimed his "pretty standard" chart said to kick the PAT at that point.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/butch-jones-needs-a-common-sense-coach-092715

Dawg61
09-28-2015, 10:42 AM
Every coach has the chart saying 1 or 2 on extra points. No egg on his face there and not going for two isn't what lost the game for Jones it was his and his team's cluelessness towards the running clock on the last drive. They had about 40 seconds run off the clock. It was brutal time management and the refs didn't help either.

thf24
09-28-2015, 11:19 AM
"Pretty standard" wasn't standard enough then. You'd have to reach real hard to come up with a scenario that could have occurred in the amount of time remaining where that one point would have meant anything.

jumbo
09-28-2015, 11:19 AM
Calling a timeout before UF was about to attempt a 50 yard FG with a true freshman kicker making his first career kick was a pretty dumb move too. After the TO they went for it and got it and then later scored a TD.

DancingRabbit
09-28-2015, 11:25 AM
Every coach has the chart saying 1 or 2 on extra points. No egg on his face there and not going for two isn't what lost the game for Jones it was his and his team's cluelessness towards the running clock on the last drive. They had about 40 seconds run off the clock. It was brutal time management and the refs didn't help either.

So leading by 12 with 10 minutes left in the 4th qtr, you would would kick the PAT? Well, at least Butch has you in his corner.

Find me a chart that agrees with you.

Political Hack
09-28-2015, 11:30 AM
So leading by 12 with 10 minutes left in the 4th qtr, you would would kick the PAT? Well, at least Butch has you in his corner.

You go for 2. They have to score TDs at that point. FGs are inconsequential.

However I agree that's not what lost them the game. Clock management and defense

Dawg61
09-28-2015, 11:31 AM

Yes and wouldn't even think twice about it because a missed 2pt conversion gives momentum to the other team not yours when you just scored and it's supposed to be all yours.

thf24
09-28-2015, 11:35 AM
Yes and wouldn't even think twice about it because a missed 2pt conversion gives momentum to the other team not yours when you just scored and it's supposed to be all yours.

Maybe, but that's trumped by the fact that kicking the extra point in that situation gives you exactly the same thing as a failed 2pt conversion, which is nothing.

Coach34
09-28-2015, 11:49 AM
Maybe, but that's trumped by the fact that kicking the extra point in that situation gives you exactly the same thing as a failed 2pt conversion, which is nothing.

This

not going for 2 was stupid

DancingRabbit
09-28-2015, 11:54 AM

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/11111/111119260/4241033-3886633-2559988948-37837.gif

Dawg61
09-28-2015, 11:55 AM

It makes it so a TD and two FGs can't beat you.

thf24
09-28-2015, 12:00 PM

It also makes it so that two touchdowns can beat you, which happened. UF wasn't likely going to get three more possessions at that point in the game, much less score on all of them.

DancingRabbit
09-28-2015, 12:00 PM

Just link us one chart that says kick the PAT, leading by 12 with 10 minutes left in the game. Just one.

You'll have to email Butch, because he's got the only one.

Dawg61
09-28-2015, 12:06 PM
It also makes it so that two touchdowns can beat you, which happened. UF wasn't likely going to get three more possessions at that point in the game, much less score on all of them.

Hindsight is 20/20 but I'm not risking deflating my team and giving momentum to the opponent and firing up the crowd by missing a 2pt try when my team has just scored.

HancockCountyDog
09-28-2015, 01:32 PM

There is only like 9:00 left in the game. You think FLorida is going to get 3 possessions? Why am I not surprised by this.

HancockCountyDog
09-28-2015, 01:36 PM
Hindsight is 20/20 but I'm not risking deflating my team and giving momentum to the opponent and firing up the crowd by missing a 2pt try when my team has just scored.

Yeah - when you miss a 2 point conversion, it really fires up the crowed.

Remember that time, we were playing (insert any team ever) and they missed that 2 point conversion in the 4th quarter and we were down at least two scores? Man, the MSU fan base was like:

http://p.fod4.com/p/media/b31e4bde65/Q6qTxi1hSzi8szbHQAmo_giphy.gif

Dawg61
09-28-2015, 05:25 PM
Yeah - when you miss a 2 point conversion, it really fires up the crowed.

Remember that time, we were playing (insert any team ever) and they missed that 2 point conversion in the 4th quarter and we were down at least two scores? Man, the MSU fan base was like:

When Tennessee misses the 2 point conversion you don't think the Florida fans will briefly cheer? Sure it's not like scoring a touchdown for them but it is a brief momentum drain for your team when it doesn't have to be. Blame the loss on how Butch handled the clock from 1:20 to :55 seconds and again from :30 to fg prayer. There's where he lost the game not at the 10 minute mark on wether he should go for two or not.

Your gif is funny though

archdog
09-28-2015, 05:43 PM
Well 7 safeties could come into play also.

Statefan
09-28-2015, 05:59 PM
Me reading this thread trying to figure out how this is actually got past 2 replies

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTl76n6lw0QJ97UevxGZsM_pZdZVwUSD BrzcTj6zpSv5coDA7GIWw

Dawg61
09-28-2015, 06:22 PM
Well 7 safeties could come into play also.

True and Florida can go for two after you failed yours thus taking a winning FG for you out of play.

Really Clark?
09-28-2015, 07:01 PM
Well going back to the original post, there is not a chart out there that would tell him that an extra point is the right play. With less than 12 min to go in the game it is actually one of the no brained times to go for 2. The only stat that the charts say is even more of a no brained at that time of the game is if he was down 2 after the TD. That's how bad his "chart" was off. It's also statistically the same if he was only up 5 at that time. The numbers say it will be 3 or less possessions for your opponent with that amount time left. Heck statistically, it actually the better play than if you are down 5. Now that changes with even less time in the game but at that point...his chart needs to be changed.