PDA

View Full Version : Grape Kool-Aid and Vanilla extract as a deer attractant? Anyone ever heard this?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-28-2015, 09:45 AM
nm

SapperDawg
09-28-2015, 02:08 PM
Big discussion on ALDeer recently about vanilla extract, and was the first time I have heard of it. I don't use many attractants, but I will give me experience: 1) I have witnessed deer play in human crap to see what it was after my buddy crapped in front of my stand. I would not recommend this technique. 2) I watched several deer come through the woods with their nose in the air following the scent of crushed persimmons we wiped on trees leading into the stand.

It may work, but my gut tells me it has to be something they would normally encounter in your area. The persimmons were used in an area where they grew, so it was a familiar food source. I guess if the vanilla works, there is something about the chemical structure of odor and how it reacts with the deer olfactory system that makes it a good attractant. Maybe it approximates honeysuckle?

99jc
09-28-2015, 06:39 PM
I don't know if grape kool aid works on deer but every kid in 4 miles might show up, I have used peanut butter and it works great.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-28-2015, 08:16 PM
... I guess if the vanilla works, there is something about the chemical structure of odor and how it reacts with the deer olfactory system that makes it a good attractant. Maybe it approximates honeysuckle?

I heard that it resembles (Grape = Vanilla)muscadines...who knows. But the guys who told me about swear by it. I was interested to get more opinions.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-30-2015, 08:58 AM
I've used grape kool-aid mixed with corn to draw in hogs, but they deer don't seem to like it as much. I've heard of the vanilla thing, but I'm susceptible of it along with the stuff Sapper mentioned. I think that's why stuff like ground beets don't work around here.

Treemydawg
09-30-2015, 08:31 PM
Persimmon flavored rice bran. You can thank me later.

godlluB
09-30-2015, 08:50 PM
I've used grape kool-aid mixed with corn to draw in hogs, but they deer don't seem to like it as much. I've heard of the vanilla thing, but I'm susceptible of it along with the stuff Sapper mentioned. I think that's why stuff like ground beets don't work around here.

If you change it to grape Kool-aid with vodka and corndogs, you'll attract coon asses.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-01-2015, 08:39 AM
Persimmon flavored rice bran. You can thank me later.

Not no, but hell no haha ...****ing possums won't even touch that stuff on my land.

Westdawg
10-01-2015, 11:37 PM
I was told about using vanilla extract as a cover scent and attractant years ago....guess it's been over 15 yrs now whe I was first in college. And I kid you not, I had deer that would always search it out when I sprayed it around my stand. I haven't used it in years. But I bought some of that "Nose Jammer" that supposed to block their olfactory from working roght, and it smells just like vanilla extract, maybe almost too strong of it but I had hogs and deer walk past and not spook downwind of me when I used it. Who knows