PDA

View Full Version : Reasons for Optimism About MSU's Offense, Shout Out to Beastman Steve

ShotgunDawg
09-27-2015, 09:01 PM
Was looking through my twitter timeline today, & saw that Beastman Steve was breaking down the game & he hit on some very good points that are reasons for optimism about this offense.

Some on hear, have feared that this offense resembles the Tyler Russell offense of 2012, &, while I get that comparison, there is a huge difference between the two, due to how defenses are defending that offense versus how they are defending this one.

Basically, what has happened is that we now consistently seeing the "Dak Prescott Defense"

Here is how Beastman describes it in his tweet:

SixPackSpeak ‏@sixpackspeak 3h3 hours ago
@BeastManSteve Our OL protected well but how many times did Auburn rush more than 4?

Beast Man ‏@BeastManSteve 3h3 hours ago
@sixpackspeak They rushed 4 a lot but thats b/c they spied Dak. It's a give or take. Can't spy & bring consistent blitzes unless you go 0man

SixPackSpeak ‏@sixpackspeak 3h3 hours ago
@BeastManSteve gotcha. I havent watched replay from last night and was shocked they didn't bring more pressure as Dak was picking them apart

Beast Man ‏@BeastManSteve 3h3 hours ago
@sixpackspeak Teams have decided spying him is the way to go. If MSU is going 4-5 wide & you respect the WRs, tough to bring more than 4.

Beast Man
‏@BeastManSteve
@sixpackspeak if we just do the math: 5 in coverage + 1 spy + 4 rushers= 1 (potentially) deep safety. You see the dilemma Dak gives w/5 wide

Ok, if you had trouble following that, here is basically what is happening: Teams have decided to put a spy on Dak, rush 4, 1 deep safety, & 5 defenders matching up on our 5 WRs.

This is why Dak is having trouble running the ball, but also why Dak has all day to throw & eat a few sandwiches back there before finding his receiver.

As for the running game, it looks pretty damn good when Holloway runs the ball. Unless our offensive line makes a conscience decision to block better for Holloway than Shumpert, I think it's pretty easy to see what the problem is.

Anyway, defenses are playing us differently than they did when Russell was our QB. With Russell at QB, teams didn't designate a defensive player as a spy & could thus rush another player or drop another player in coverage, thus making it tougher for us to move the ball. Not to mention our WRs are light years better now than then.

If Dak continues to sit by in the pocket all day with no pressure & our offensive line continues to improve, teams are going to be faced with a real decision defensively about either potentially rushing the spy & giving up a big play or dropping another guy into coverage & basically giving Dak & our running game free reign.

The key to beating our offense will be a defense keeping everything in front of them & getting pressure on Dak with 4 rushers. If that happens, we should be embarrassed.

I thought this was great insight by Beastman & something that needed to be shared.

Jack Lambert
09-27-2015, 09:11 PM
Hell at times Dak could have made and eaten a ham sandwich because he had so much time in the pocket.

Todd4State
09-27-2015, 09:21 PM
That's another reason why we need to get Myles, Gray, Dear, and even Morrow more involved as well.

When Myles got hurt, that was a bad injury for us. I suppose he is OK because I saw him returning kicks- but he was able to get behind the safeties and score a TD. Gray could be another deep threat for us as well.

HSVDawg
09-27-2015, 10:44 PM
None of this is new. Teams have been employing this strategy against Dak since after the UK game last year. The difference is Mullen finally started to take advantage of it starting with the 2nd half of the LSU game.

sbcmortgageman
09-28-2015, 04:51 AM
S[QUOTE=ShotgunDawg;419761]Was looking through my twitter timeline today, & saw that Beastman Steve was breaking down the game & he hit on some very good points that are reasons for optimism about this offense.

What is your Twitter handle?

Thick
09-28-2015, 06:57 AM
This thread is a "duh....no shit" thread!

ShotgunDawg
09-28-2015, 07:18 AM
This thread is a "duh....no shit" thread!

Maybe so, but no one has mentioned this and we still people comparing what's going on right now to the Tyler Russell offense. So it must not be that obvious to everyone.

On another note, Bo Bounds just said that Dak may have a sports hernia

ShotgunDawg
09-28-2015, 07:22 AM
S[QUOTE=ShotgunDawg;419761]Was looking through my twitter timeline today, & saw that Beastman Steve was breaking down the game & he hit on some very good points that are reasons for optimism about this offense.

What is your Twitter handle?

@potus

Original48
09-28-2015, 08:27 AM
On another note, Bo Bounds just said that Dak may have a sports hernia
Bo read that here.

FISHDAWG
09-28-2015, 09:26 AM
until we get a better effort at the RB position there is no room for optimism, for me anyway ... IMO we have peaked unless we get more production from that position