PDA

View Full Version : Ways to help the running game?

Todd4State
09-27-2015, 08:07 PM
One thing I would consider is maybe having a six man offensive line at times- Jenkins at LT and then our normal o-line with Warren used as a 300 pound blocking TE.

Of course, Shumpert to FB has been mentioned many times and I could harp on playing Lee and Williams more.

MSUDawg13
09-27-2015, 08:27 PM
All our running game needs is a new runner. Holloway and Lee need to get the majority of the carries. I'm not saying bench Shump entirely but he needs no more than a handful of touches a game. The stats tell you all you need to know:

Holloway: 18 carries for 134 yards 7.4 avg
Shump: 32 carries for 128 yards 4.0 avg

Holloway has simply been the better back thus far and our offense clicks when he is on the field. Time to make a change

bulldawg28
09-27-2015, 08:30 PM
Shumpert to FB play Holloway and Lee more. I honestly think Dan is saving this until later in the year.

IMissJack
09-27-2015, 08:32 PM
Shumpert to FB play Holloway and Lee more. I honestly think Dan is saving this until later in the year.

What is the benefit of saving it?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-27-2015, 08:38 PM
Chris jones needs to get goaline carries*********

messageboardsuperhero
09-27-2015, 08:41 PM

No, he's not saving anything. Mullen will play upperclassmen, come hell or high water- it's what he does.

Not saying it's always right (in this case I wish the other backs would get more carries), but it's what he does.

TXDawg
09-27-2015, 09:21 PM
Am I mistaken, or do Shump and Holloway not run different plays to different locations? Doesn't Shump run (mostly) between the tackles while Holloway runs (mostly) to the outside? I'll agree that Shump looks slow and indecisive, but I think the bigger issue with our running game is WHERE we run; not WHO we run. Our O-Line just doesn't seem to be able to open holes between the tackles.

I certainly could be wrong (and if I am, I hope someone can provide definitive evidence), but that's just what I've seen so far.

Todd4State
09-27-2015, 09:24 PM
Am I mistaken, or do Shump and Holloway not run different plays to different locations? Doesn't Shump run (mostly) between the tackles while Holloway runs (mostly) to the outside? I'll agree that Shump looks slow and indecisive, but I think the bigger issue with our running game is WHERE we run; not WHO we run. Our O-Line just doesn't seem to be able to open holes between the tackles.

I certainly could be wrong (and if I am, I hope someone can provide definitive evidence), but that's just what I've seen so far.

Gus Walley had to pancake block his guy twice before Shumpert even turned the corner. I would consider that definitive evidence.

GTHOM
09-27-2015, 09:24 PM
Its obvious lee and williams are not going to get many reps at all in big games so we can hang that up.

Our running game can be helped with getting Dear, Shump, Myles the ball more on the perimiter. Say what you want about Shump and I agree with most of it, but he can catch and can block. Dear and Myles are playmakers and are being underused. Donald Gray as well.

I agree that if Holloway gets more carries (never thought id want this but he has earned it) we will get a better running game. Hes come a long way. Add in his toughness with his speed and he is dangerous.

I think our offense is facing a problem of having too many playmakers. We can never get it to each one enough.