PDA

View Full Version : Watching the replay....

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 04:12 PM
And we had 6 missed tackles on Auburn's opening drive, which included two big misses by Calhoun (Shoulder tackle), and Dale (shouldnt be on the field because he is horrible, and just missed the tackle). Both of those extended the drive. Then Redmond mistimed his jump and missed a pick.

Despite all of that, Redmond got the pick and AU didn't score.

So as many have said....we were in position on all of their plays, but just didn't make the tackle. Richie looked good on that drive though.

We may actually be a stout defense if we could learn to tackle. Ha. Hopefully we figure it out....it looks like Richie did this past week. Market wraps up. Benny does pretty good. Coman and Calhoun are awful tacklers, they just run into people with their shoulders. Manny needs to get after their asses for that crap.

Original48
09-27-2015, 04:14 PM
Calvin appears lost.

Todd4State
09-27-2015, 04:17 PM
Coman's best tackle of the year so far was when some guy for Auburn tripped on him and fell down.

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 04:20 PM
On our first offensive possession, I was stunned at how quick Holloway got through the middle on that handoff. He showed great burst and quickness. Then we hand it to Shumpert and he tries to bounce it outside when there was a huge hole on the right side between RG and RT! Damn he's a terrible running back. He's got tremendous hands in the pass game, but his running is just atrocious. I like how we went pass left, pass right, sweep right, Holloway up the gut. Really did a good job mixing it up on that drive

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 04:24 PM
Their second series, we tackled better. Jackson stopped the WR short of the marker by wrapping up. Good job by the D. Had some help with the AU fumble on 1st down.

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 04:29 PM
Desper got blown up on Dak's first run attempt. We had a huge hole for him, but the play was over when Desper got punked.

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 04:36 PM
Coleman played well early at DE (Calvin didn't. Was crashing down and blowing the edge), and would have had a TFL but he got held like crazy at the 13:30 mark in the 2nd quarter. No call on a clear hold...got tackled

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 04:39 PM
Cleveland made a great open field tackle when he got hurt. Did he come back in? I was so pumped to see somebody knock the shit out of somebody, I hated he got dinged up....was a great play

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 04:44 PM
That was bullshit on Holloway's long run on the left, when we got called for holding....Holloway got drilled late out of bounds, and it wasn't called. I ****ing hate Auburn and refs that let shit like that slide

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 04:44 PM
I'll stop now. I'm sure nobody cares. Ha

missouridawg
09-27-2015, 04:54 PM
V
That was bullshit on Holloway's long run on the left, when we got called for holding....Holloway got drilled late out of bounds, and it wasn't called. I ****ing hate Auburn and refs that let shit like that slide

I don't see how that late hit was missed either.

msstate7
09-27-2015, 04:57 PM
To my untrained eye, I thought auburn held a ton last night, but rarely got called.

I thought bear's right foot tapped before his hand on the overturned call. If anything, it wasn't clear and convincing.

Duke's catch that led to last fg was very close to being out of bounds, but no review.

Glad the game wasn't closer

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 05:04 PM
What a great timeout call right before the half when Auburn brought Johnson in on 3rd and goal. Wow, I remember that, but forgot how huge that timeout was. Kudos to Manny or Dan, whoever called it, because it made them rethink their call and personnel, and they fumbled the snap and came up empty on the next play. Excellent use of timeouts there when they lined up in a goofy trick formation.

PassInterference
09-27-2015, 05:14 PM
Lots of holding not called.

We got hit 2 yards out of bounds, no call.

Late in the game on curl or stop routes, Auburb DBs were running into and through the back of our WRs to break up passes. No call.

Duke's catch really close to the sideline didn't get reviewed.

We had a big play called back for holding. Announcers didn't even aknowledge the penalty. I'm sitting on the couch wondering why it's 1st & 20.

Officiating sucked. Announcers sucked. The broadcast sucked.

BeardoMSU
09-27-2015, 05:22 PM
Lots of holding not called.

We got hit 2 yards out of bounds, no call.

Late in the game on curl or stop routes, Auburb DBs were running into and through the back of our WRs to break up passes. No call.

Duke's catch really close to the sideline didn't get reviewed.

We had a big play called back for holding. Announcers didn't even aknowledge the penalty. I'm sitting on the couch wondering why it's 1st & 20.

Officiating sucked. Announcers sucked. The broadcast sucked.

Might as well make a documentary or write a book titled: "Oh, the shit that happens when you play at Auburn".

DownwardDawg
09-27-2015, 05:25 PM
What a great timeout call right before the half when Auburn brought Johnson in on 3rd and goal. Wow, I remember that, but forgot how huge that timeout was. Kudos to Manny or Dan, whoever called it, because it made them rethink their call and personnel, and they fumbled the snap and came up empty on the next play. Excellent use of timeouts there when they lined up in a goofy trick formation.

Your exactly right. I was telling my wife that that was a great call. I think ol Dan outcoached Gus right there. He made Gus over think the situation and the snapper was possibly confused as to which QB was back there. Great call.

DownwardDawg
09-27-2015, 05:25 PM
V

I don't see how that late hit was missed either.

I agree. It was clearly late.

Tbonewannabe
09-27-2015, 05:28 PM
Also on spotting the ball, I remember once an AU player lands back down ball away from the yellow line and they spotted it where his opposite elbow is touching the first down marker. Gave them almost a half yard. Then on the flip side, I think it was Dear that falls with the first down line around his waist and the ball over the line. The refs place the ball short of the first down around where his knees were.

I just always assume at AU, the first down marker is longer for us and shorter for them. Too many times it has happened that way.

Original48
09-27-2015, 05:44 PM
We were saying the same thing when he called it. GREAT timeout. And this from the Montgomery Advertiser today..

5. What if. Down 14-0 near halftime, Malzahn put in Johnson on the goal-line, but Mississippi State called timeout. Malzahn reinserted White, went shotgun and White couldn't handle Austin Golson's bad snap. Auburn lost yards and Daniel Carlson missed a 26-yard field goal. If Dan Mullen doesn't call timeout and Auburn goes with the power run, Johnson probably scores to give Auburn much-needed momentum. Should Auburn have stuck with the Johnson play anyway? Probably.

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 05:45 PM
Late 3rd quarter, AU brings pressure off the left side....Dak back pedals and side arms it incomplete at Shumpert. All he had to do was step to the right and he would have had nothing but green or 10 more seconds to find a WR....that's the kind of stuff that isn't making sense to me. Dak ain't Dak with his legs. It's frustrating

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 05:46 PM
We were saying the same thing when he called it. GREAT timeout. And this from the Montgomery Advertiser today..

5. What if. Down 14-0 near halftime, Malzahn put in Johnson on the goal-line, but Mississippi State called timeout. Malzahn reinserted White, went shotgun and White couldn't handle Austin Golson's bad snap. Auburn lost yards and Daniel Carlson missed a 26-yard field goal. If Dan Mullen doesn't call timeout and Auburn goes with the power run, Johnson probably scores to give Auburn much-needed momentum. Should Auburn have stuck with the Johnson play anyway? Probably.

+1

They definitely should have. Glad they didn't!

DownwardDawg
09-27-2015, 05:50 PM
Also on spotting the ball, I remember once an AU player lands back down ball away from the yellow line and they spotted it where his opposite elbow is touching the first down marker. Gave them almost a half yard. Then on the flip side, I think it was Dear that falls with the first down line around his waist and the ball over the line. The refs place the ball short of the first down around where his knees were.

I just always assume at AU, the first down marker is longer for us and shorter for them. Too many times it has happened that way.

I've done a 180. I'm to the point that I think they need an entirely separate crew in the booth and they need to review EVERY play, including penalties. The ref's have gotten that bad. That call against Vandy was unbelievable. Maybe the worst ever. That has to be reviewable. So the booth ref can call down to the field and ask, "what the **** was that?"

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 05:53 PM
I've done a 180. I'm to the point that I think they need an entirely separate crew in the booth and they need to review EVERY play, including penalties. The ref's have gotten that bad. That call against Vandy was unbelievable. Maybe the worst ever. That has to be reviewable. So the booth ref can call down to the field and ask, "what the **** was that?"

I agree. Lord knows they've got the money to support it.

Coursesuper
09-27-2015, 05:59 PM
Officiating was typical bs you get at auburn. Our guards got blown up a lot, missed a few blocks that if made we were off to the races. Shump has terrible vision, only runs were the play is called or try's to bounce outside misses every cut back lane and run strait up. Played two deep all night, and Gus took advantage to run the ball. He took what we gave him and it wasn't enough. Good game plan by the D. AU has a bunch of really good football players, they have zero chemistry, a bunch of individuals playing not much of a team. Overall good road win.

Jack Lambert
09-27-2015, 06:23 PM
To my untrained eye, I thought auburn held a ton last night, but rarely got called.

I thought bear's right foot tapped before his hand on the overturned call. If anything, it wasn't clear and convincing.

Duke's catch that led to last fg was very close to being out of bounds, but no review.

Glad the game wasn't closer

I noticed it as well. The officiating has gotten bad. I think the SEC office is letting stuff slide so that certain teams win. The SEC could very well be left out of the play off this season and the SEC home office knows it. Right now they view LSU and Ole Miss as their best shot from the West. Georgia from the East. Don't be surprise if the officiating is bad in all their games until they lose.

Todd4State
09-27-2015, 06:37 PM
I noticed it as well. The officiating has gotten bad. I think the SEC office is letting stuff slide so that certain teams win. The SEC could very well be left out of the play off this season and the SEC home office knows it. Right now they view LSU and Ole Miss as their best shot from the West. Georgia from the East. Don't be surprise if the officiating is bad in all their games until they lose.

Too soon to know but I could see LSU and Georgia being undefeated at the end of the regular season.

Mjoelner34
09-27-2015, 06:46 PM
That call against Vandy was unbelievable. Maybe the worst ever. That has to be reviewable. So the booth ref can call down to the field and ask, "what the **** was that?"

I thought it was a bad call too but I wanted to be sure before I bitched because I know there is a weird rule in baseball that if you don't cleanly catch a pop-up, the runner doesn't have to tag so I figured there may be something weird here too and there is. According to Rule 6, Section 5, Article 1, Subsection B, the fair catch protection is still in effect until the ball hits the ground. So, it was a good call.

Thick
09-27-2015, 06:54 PM
Calvin appears lost.

Yes he does, and he got sealed on one play and driven down the field at almost the same speed as the AU rb. It was amazing and terrible at the same time!!

Really Clark?
09-27-2015, 07:06 PM
I thought it was a bad call too but I wanted to be sure before I bitched because I know there is a weird rule in baseball that if you don't cleanly catch a pop-up, the runner doesn't have to tag so I figured there may be something weird here too and there is. According to Rule 6, Section 5, Article 1, Subsection B, the fair catch protection is still in effect until the ball hits the ground. So, it was a good call.

No that's not exactly correct. There is a statement about him muffing the kick and also having a clear opportunity to be able to complete catch the muff. He tipped it 2+ yards away from himself to the Vandy player and he would not have been able to catch the ball before it struck the ground. The Vandy player did not impede his ability to catch it and it is not a reasonable assumption that he could have caught the ball at that point. The two players were too far way with the ball dropping. Now if he had ran up and hindered the receiver from being able to retain the muff, I would agree.

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 07:24 PM
No that's not exactly correct. There is a statement about him muffing the kick and also having a clear opportunity to be able to complete catch the muff. He tipped it 2+ yards away from himself to the Vandy player and he would not have been able to catch the ball before it struck the ground. The Vandy player did not impede his ability to catch it and it is not a reasonable assumption that he could have caught the ball at that point. The two players were too far way with the ball dropping. Now if he had ran up and hindered the receiver from being able to retain the muff, I would agree.

This^

That call was horribly blown. Someone should be reprimanded for that garbage

Jack Lambert
09-27-2015, 07:29 PM
Too soon to know but I could see LSU and Georgia being undefeated at the end of the regular season.

I agree but I think Georgia has the best shot. Florida could be a road block. I don't think the Miss Bears have a chance. They have not impressed me. They beat up two below average team that every SEC school would beat. They lucky as hell with Bama and Vandy gave them all they could handle.

Todd4State
09-27-2015, 08:02 PM
I agree but I think Georgia has the best shot. Florida could be a road block. I don't think the Miss Bears have a chance. They have not impressed me. They beat up two below average team that every SEC school would beat. They lucky as hell with Bama and Vandy gave them all they could handle.

In their two 70+ wins they scored three times on defense. Fresno State has allowed at least 42 points to every opponent that they have played except for Abeline Christian, who is I-AA. That includes San Jose State. And then as you said they have had very good fortune with the officials thus far.

Mjoelner34
09-27-2015, 08:20 PM
The Vandy player did not impede his ability to catch it and it is not a reasonable assumption that he could have caught the ball at that point.

By the Vandy player catching the ball, it did impede his opportunity to catch the ball. It doesn't stipulate how far away the ball can bounce off of the return guy, it just says that the returner is allowed the opportunity to catch it still under the protection of the fair catch signal until the ball hits the ground. Its not a judgment call, it's black and white in the rules. I don't like it either and am fairly certain that if we muffed one like that it wouldn't have been called.

msstate7
09-27-2015, 08:31 PM
By the Vandy player catching the ball, it did impede his opportunity to catch the ball. It doesn't stipulate how far away the ball can bounce off of the return guy, it just says that the returner is allowed the opportunity to catch it still under the protection of the fair catch signal until the ball hits the ground. Its not a judgment call, it's black and white in the rules. I don't like it either and am fairly certain that if we muffed one like that it wouldn't have been called.

Every time we have a guy calling a fair catch and guys are right on him, we should just hit the ball at them with both hands. Get an extra 15 yards

Really Clark?
09-27-2015, 08:41 PM

When a Team B player makes a valid fair catch signal, the unimpeded opportunity to catch a free or scrimmage kick continues if this player muffs the kick and still has an opportunity to complete the catch. This protection terminates when the kick touches the ground. If the player subsequently catches the kick, the ball is placed where he first touched it (A.R. 6-5-1-I-II).

The Vandy player did not impede the opportunity to make the catch because the receiver wasn't able to catch the ball at that point. The defender stopped and made no move toward the receiver or the ball. The ball was just tipped his way and he reacted like he should have. Although a stupid idea to try because of the risk, but if you can muff and tip the ball into the defender you get the ball and penalty yardage. Why not do that when the defenders are closer? For obvious reasons you don't but if the defender is not making to move to impede the player or the ball they should not interpret the rule in that way. The "and still has an opportunity" portion is out when he is falling back and the ball has left his area of ability to catch. I think if this was played out multiple times most refs do not throw the flag in this situation because of how they would interpret an opportunity. He lost his chance at the ball when it away from him to what would have been a nearly immpossible chance to catch the ball at that point. That's just the way I interpret that part of the rule and applying it to the situation.

Really Clark?
09-27-2015, 08:46 PM
Every time we have a guy calling a fair catch and guys are right on him, we should just hit the ball at them with both hands. Get an extra 15 yards

Exactly. I think the rule is meant for bobbles at the receiver and giving him the chance to recover or lose the muff without getting hit while he is trying to get possession of the ball.

blacklistedbully
09-27-2015, 09:02 PM

Protection does not mean the defender had to not catch the ball if it bounces his way. The defender was not, "impeding" the player, he was merely taking possession of the batted/muffed ball. Had he run into the defender doing so, I think your point would be valid, but he did not. Badly blown call.

GTHOM
09-27-2015, 09:39 PM
Good stuff cadaver ive watched the replay and your hitting the stuff i bitched about. The holding call on the swing pass to malik dear was garbage too

Dawg61
09-28-2015, 12:54 AM
Late 3rd quarter, AU brings pressure off the left side....Dak back pedals and side arms it incomplete at Shumpert. All he had to do was step to the right and he would have had nothing but green or 10 more seconds to find a WR....that's the kind of stuff that isn't making sense to me. Dak ain't Dak with his legs. It's frustrating

Because Dak is being instructed to finish the play without running down field. He's already improved tremendously with his accuracy within this season. Look at the USM game where he's overthrowing easy passes and then look at last night where he's on target with every throw. That's why he's not reverting to old habit and tucking and running. That will always be an option for him but having the luxury of being pinpoint accurate won't always be there for him unless he forces himself to become that type of QB. Dak is growing by leaps and bounds this year. I think he's got a shot at being a 1st round draft pick. He looked great last night.