PDA

View Full Version : Auburn fires Sonny Galloway

bluelightstar
09-27-2015, 02:29 PM
Wonder what this is all about. Must be some "scandal" to fire him in September.

TUSK
09-27-2015, 02:35 PM
Wonder what this is all about. Must be some "scandal" to fire him in September.

Dayum, that's something Alabama would do... Football sucks, Fire the Baseball Coach...

MetEdDawg
09-27-2015, 02:44 PM
He's nuts. Has a handler that deals with his media correspondence, and I'm pretty sure he is steered clear from interacting with boosters. Just fires off obscenities at will. I know a couple of people that have been around him that say he's just crazy. Auburn people weren't happy with the hire either.

Todd4State
09-27-2015, 02:53 PM
He's nuts. Has a handler that deals with his media correspondence, and I'm pretty sure he is steered clear from interacting with boosters. Just fires off obscenities at will. I know a couple of people that have been around him that say he's just crazy. Auburn people weren't happy with the hire either.

Pretty much. No telling what he did this time- but apparently it was the straw that broke the camels back.

dawgoneyall
09-27-2015, 02:57 PM
Lose a football game....fire the baseball coach.

Pearl better watch out.

MsStateBaseball
09-27-2015, 03:16 PM
Mistreatment of players, but I don't know specifics. This is why we get players from south Alabama. Auburn is not real good.

Outside Dawg
09-27-2015, 03:19 PM
@KendallRogersD1: If I?m Jay Jacobs, I?m hiring @HailStateBB pitching coach Butch Thompson tomorrow. Perfect personality for what @Auburn_Baseball needs.

DCdawg
09-27-2015, 03:20 PM
Butch Thompson was considered last go around, wasn't he? Could get interesting the next few days or at the end of the season if they wait.

War Machine Dawg
09-27-2015, 03:23 PM
Damn, this is odd timing. As others have said, he must've done something to be fired now. Definitely time to start sweating with Butch, depending on Auburn's time frame. If Butch does go, I'd imagine it will suck trying to find a new pitching close at this time of year.

MsStateBaseball
09-27-2015, 03:24 PM
Butch not going anywhere. Kendall loves saying it BC he's an ole Miss fan.

War Machine Dawg
09-27-2015, 03:30 PM

Get the search committee together.

Todd4State
09-27-2015, 03:31 PM
I don't think Butch will leave for them.

sandjunky
09-27-2015, 03:35 PM

This is where you lose credibility....letting your fandom cloud your comments

DCdawg
09-27-2015, 03:44 PM
Kendall may like OM but I'm pretty sure I remember Butch being considered when Galloway was hired. Whether Butch would leave for that job or at this point in the year I don't know.

civildawg
09-27-2015, 03:44 PM
From reading auburn boards, rumor is he is psychotic. They warned him once and he agreed to chill out but apparently he didn't

Todd4State
09-27-2015, 03:48 PM
From reading auburn boards, rumor is he is psychotic. They warned him once and he agreed to chill out but apparently he didn't

That's no rumor. He IS psychotic.

I seen it dawg
09-27-2015, 04:24 PM
If Auburn doesn't have muu muus to wear he ain't leaving.

ScottH
09-27-2015, 04:48 PM
The one thing different is Butch is all but paid head coaching dollars as an assistant.

He would get a raise but not a life changing one like all assistants and most head coaches moving to an SEC job.

TUSK
09-27-2015, 05:13 PM
That's no rumor. He IS psychotic.

You got me interested, Todd... what's he done that's so "nutso"?

additionally, can he coach "ball security"?

MsStateBaseball
09-27-2015, 06:09 PM
We are about to be catapulted into big things with the new stadium, we have elite pitching recruits lined up. He would be going to a football school that doesn't care about baseball. He is from Ms, he wants MSU to be a powerhouse. He has said on record he is glad that Cohen does the "dirty work" of scholarships, discipline etc.

He would be a fool to go.

War Machine Dawg
09-27-2015, 07:28 PM
The one thing different is Butch is all but paid head coaching dollars as an assistant.

He would get a raise but not a life changing one like all assistants and most head coaches moving to an SEC job.

This is the one problem Auburn would have to figure out to get Butch. But considering how much money they have, they can "overpay" if he's who they want.

Kendall may like OM but I'm pretty sure I remember Butch being considered when Galloway was hired. Whether Butch would leave for that job or at this point in the year I don't know.

Yeah, Butch's name was tossed around last time. Who knows if Auburn still wants him, but they'd be crazy not to at least try. And some people want to be The Man who runs the program. Does Butch? I'd imagine it isn't easy to work for a notorious control freak like Cohen. He may be perfectly content to be Cohen's #2, but to just dismiss the idea of Butch not even considering it isn't rational. There are a ton of factors in a decision like that.

messageboardsuperhero
09-27-2015, 07:43 PM
Yeah, Butch's name was tossed around last time. Who knows if Auburn still wants him, but they'd be crazy not to at least try. And some people want to be The Man who runs the program. Does Butch? I'd imagine it isn't easy to work for a notorious control freak like Cohen. He may be perfectly content to be Cohen's #2, but to just dismiss the idea of Butch not even considering it isn't rational. There are a ton of factors in a decision like that.

Yes, Butch 100% wants to be a head coach when the appropriate opportunity presents itself. Does he view Auburn as that opportunity? I have some serious doubts. That baseball program is a hot mess and the fan support is shit- and these are things that Butch has seen firsthand when he was an assistant there. Never say never, but I just don't see him leaving us for AU in the middle of fall practice.

I'm pretty sure being the head man here is his dream job, but he's not going to try and force Cohen out or anything.

Todd4State
09-27-2015, 07:51 PM
You got me interested, Todd... what's he done that's so "nutso"?

additionally, can he coach "ball security"?

http://newsok.com/article/3853988

Todd4State
09-27-2015, 07:54 PM
Yes, Butch 100% wants to be a head coach when the appropriate opportunity presents itself. Does he view Auburn as that opportunity? I have some serious doubts. That baseball program is a hot mess and the fan support is shit- and these are things that Butch has seen firsthand when he was an assistant there. Never say never, but I just don't see him leaving us for AU in the middle of fall practice.

I'm pretty sure being the head man here is his dream job, but he's not going to try and force Cohen out or anything.

Butch also has family in Mississippi which is a big factor for him. For him to leave- it would have to be because of what you said about him being a head coach. And Auburn is going to have to pay a LOT to get him.

I'm not sure that they would do that when they could get Casey Dunn from Samford or Matt Heath.

MetEdDawg
09-27-2015, 08:41 PM
Butch also has family in Mississippi which is a big factor for him. For him to leave- it would have to be because of what you said about him being a head coach. And Auburn is going to have to pay a LOT to get him.

I'm not sure that they would do that when they could get Casey Dunn from Samford or Matt Heath.

I and a few others said they were stupid not to go get Dunn when they got Galloway. All they have to do is ask and he will come home to Auburn. He wants to be in Auburn. If they want to get someone to turn the program around, they need an Auburn guy who is qualified and wants to be there. That's Dunn all day. He could turn Auburn into a solid baseball program.

RAYn_Man
09-27-2015, 08:45 PM
He would be a fool to go.

I think it's a little extreme to say someone would be a "fool" for taking a head coaching job in the SEC.