PDA

View Full Version : Been doing a little thinking about our coaching staff......

War Machine Dawg
07-22-2013, 11:44 AM
In light of the news that we're bringing in Sleepy & Pork Chop in off-the-field roles, it got me thinking about how we can improve the rest of our staff. I think we all agree Les and Sallach are the weak links, particularly Sallach. Is there any way we could hire Zo Miller or Rod Gibson (both coaching JUCO) to allow us to move Sallach to an off-the-field role? It's been reported before that Gibson badly wants to be on staff here.

Unfortunately, I think we're stuck with Les, barring a miracle. I actually think he's a decent QB coach and a good "organizer." But C34 is right about no OC wanting to come in and be told what offense they're going to run. I'd love to see us go get Troy's OC to help with our passing game, but I don't know if he'd be willing to put his ego aside to work with Mullen. The big change that needs to happen there is for Mullen to relieve Les of all play calling duties and do that himself. It's what he loves to do, so just do it. Plus, it would hopefully allow someone else to coach STs, which I've been advocating for at least a year now.

Anyway, what say ye? I'd kill to get a good coach like Zo or Gibson on staff. Any chance we could make it happen?

Homedawg
07-22-2013, 11:49 AM
In light of the news that we're bringing in Sleepy & Pork Chop in off-the-field roles, it got me thinking about how we can improve the rest of our staff. I think we all agree Les and Sallach are the weak links, particularly Sallach. Is there any way we could hire Zo Miller or Rod Gibson (both coaching JUCO) to allow us to move Sallach to an off-the-field role? It's been reported before that Gibson badly wants to be on staff here.

Unfortunately, I think we're stuck with Les, barring a miracle. I actually think he's a decent QB coach and a good "organizer." But C34 is right about no OC wanting to come in and be told what offense they're going to run. I'd love to see us go get Troy's OC to help with our passing game, but I don't know if he'd be willing to put his ego aside to work with Mullen. The big change that needs to happen there is for Mullen to relieve Les of all play calling duties and do that himself. It's what he loves to do, so just do it. Plus, it would hopefully allow someone else to coach STs, which I've been advocating for at least a year now.

Anyway, what say ye? I'd kill to get a good coach like Zo or Gibson on staff. Any chance we could make it happen?

Just for clarification, Pork chop is here as an on the field ga.

War Machine Dawg
07-22-2013, 12:22 PM
Just for clarification, Pork chop is here as an on the field ga.

D'oh! Brain fart.

engie
07-22-2013, 12:24 PM
Pork Chop hiring is telling Hevesy to get his shit together without actually telling him IMO.

Coach34
07-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Dicenzo could be a distinct possibility. Never talked to him so no idea if he knows his shit or not- but what I do know based off of his career:

He was a guy that had a very good college career- and played beyond his talent level with hustle, intelligence, and hard work. Those guys are usually good coaches.

maroonmania
07-22-2013, 12:45 PM
Pork Chop hiring is telling Hevesy to get his shit together without actually telling him IMO.

I've always assumed that Mullen and Hevesy are tied at the hip sort of in the same way Croom and Woody were. Unless something has soured in the relationship I doubt Hevesy has any real concern relative to his job.

PMDawg
07-22-2013, 01:37 PM
Dicenzo could be a distinct possibility. Never talked to him so no idea if he knows his shit or not- but what I do know based off of his career:

He was a guy that had a very good college career- and played beyond his talent level with hustle, intelligence, and hard work. Those guys are usually good coaches.

I would hire him just so he could teach our RBs "the shake". Ha. That dude was so fun to watch...the way he slithered, spun, and jukes his way through the holes was awesome. He could turn a routine run into 20+ yards quicker than anyone.

Homedawg
07-22-2013, 01:44 PM

That's the funniest shit I've ever read.

Big4Dawg
07-22-2013, 01:49 PM
I really wish we would hire Ron Zook. He is working at a bank right now.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/ron-zook-goes-from-coaching-florida-and-illinois-to-working-for-a-bank-071713

CadaverDawg
07-22-2013, 02:06 PM
I really wish we would hire Ron Zook. He is working at a bank right now.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/ron-zook-goes-from-coaching-florida-and-illinois-to-working-for-a-bank-071713

Dude can croot. I'd be all for it.

Big4Dawg
07-22-2013, 02:17 PM
I just hate having coaches on the staff who bring nothing to the table. I would have had no complaints if we kept Brewster and picked up Gon. Would have been a solid staff for sure.

engie
07-22-2013, 02:55 PM
That's the funniest shit I've ever read.

One season of underperforming from the OL = one bad season for our team = Mullen on the hot seat himself. Do you think he's willing to let himself be fired over loyalty to Hevesy and Koenning? I don't. I think he sees the writing on the wall with Hev's recruiting and absolutely intends to take him off the trail. That's step 1. Having an MSU legend one step behind you from the same position group sends a clear message as well.

Don't get it twisted... Hev has been pretty good in player development for us thusfar, and I expect us to take 3 steps forward on the OL this year. This should be our best OL since 2010. Hev just got screwed by Croom's 07 and 08 OL recruiting(lack of warm bodies). That said, we can't afford any more Deon Mix screw ups in recruiting and if his coaching slacks off in any way, he could easily end up in trouble, especially with Pork Chop looking over his shoulder

War Machine Dawg
07-22-2013, 03:03 PM
One season of underperforming from the OL = one bad season for our team = Mullen on the hot seat himself. Do you think he's willing to let himself be fired over loyalty to Hevesy and Koenning? I don't. I think he sees the writing on the wall with Hev's recruiting and absolutely intends to take him off the trail. That's step 1. Having an MSU legend one step behind you from the same position group sends a clear message as well.

Don't get it twisted... Hev has been pretty good in player development for us thusfar, and I expect us to take 3 steps forward on the OL this year. This should be our best OL since 2010. Hev just got screwed by Croom's 07 and 08 OL recruiting(lack of warm bodies). That said, we can't afford any more Deon Mix screw ups in recruiting and if his coaching slacks off in any way, he could easily end up in trouble, especially with Pork Chop looking over his shoulder

I've said it before and I'll say it aGAIN: Deon Mix will be a massive bust. I've seen the guy play countless times. He's big, but that's all he is. He's soft and slow with little or no work ethic. I'm far from worried about losing him. We came out ahead on that deal.

War Machine Dawg
07-22-2013, 03:07 PM

No doubt, I suspect Dicenzo is a very good coach. No clue if he'd be interested in coaching at State, but my guess would be he is. Side note: Fairly certain I saw Dicenzo while I was at the Gator Bowl. I asked and dude said he wasn't, but he had the gold teeth and everything. Either it was Dicenzo trying to be low key or his twin. And he looked like he could still play with zero problem.

From all accounts, Gibson is a pretty good coach himself. And much like Zo in terms of a guy who played above his talent level with hustle & work. He just did it in an unglamorous position in the JWS smashmouth offense. I'd be willing to bet he could coach TEs as good or better than Sallach and be a much, much better recruiter.

SignalToNoise
07-22-2013, 03:13 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it aGAIN: Deon Mix will be a massive bust. I've seen the guy play countless times. He's big, but that's all he is. He's soft and slow with little or no work ethic. I'm far from worried about losing him. We came out ahead on that deal.

I think engie is commented on the way Hev handled the situation, not so much that we missed on Deon Mix.

Homedawg
07-22-2013, 03:40 PM

First, hell no Dan won't let them drag him down. He's going to cover his arrogant ass first. As he should. If they don't produce punt em. However, there are many flaws in what you said. While Hev might not be a great recruiter he has however reeled in several big fish. Dak, that's hev's guy. Chris jones, that's hevs guy. Chris found him and he stayed on him thought the process. Chris Wilson bolted and jones didn't blink. That's just a couple I've named but big ones. Now the mix situation, that one is on him. But I'm not sure we lost anything. Maybe we did. We shall see. He has done a good job developing players but I also realize we need to continue to get better up front. As for pork chop causing him to look over his shoulder, the guy has never coached. It's way different being a great player and a good coach. If you don't believe that try listening to Rafael palmeiro try to teach you to hit. You wife can explain it better. Maybe pork chip can coach, I hope so. But it's a big stretch to say he is even a lil concerned about a guy who has never been in that position.
ETA, there is a whole lot more to the Mix story than some of the bs that hit the net. Not trying to say hev handled it perfectly, he didn't. Just that there is a whole lot more to it.

engie
07-22-2013, 03:49 PM
I think engie is commented on the way Hev handled the situation, not so much that we missed on Deon Mix.

Exactly. It placed a public reason, rightly or wrongly, on our late season recruiting collapses that is easy to carry over to others that we've lost late or almost lost late...

Todd4State
07-22-2013, 03:52 PM
First, hell no Dan won't let them drag him down. He's going to cover his arrogant ass first. As he should. If they don't produce punt em. However, there are many flaws in what you said. While Hev might not be a great recruiter he has however reeled in several big fish. Dak, that's hev's guy. Chris jones, that's hevs guy. Chris found him and he stayed on him thought the process. Chris Wilson bolted and jones didn't blink. That's just a couple I've named but big ones. Now the mix situation, that one is on him. But I'm not sure we lost anything. Maybe we did. We shall see. He has done a good job developing players but I also realize we need to continue to get better up front. As for pork chop causing him to look over his shoulder, the guy has never coached. It's way different being a great player and a good coach. If you don't believe that try listening to Rafael palmeiro try to teach you to hit. You wife can explain it better. Maybe pork chip can coach, I hope so. But it's a big stretch to say he is even a lil concerned about a guy who has never been in that position.
ETA, there is a whole lot more to the Mix story than some of the bs that hit the net. Not trying to say hev handled it perfectly, he didn't. Just that there is a whole lot more to it.

Pork Chop coached at Hartfield Academy last year. If you are talking about coaching college, then yes- he has never coached at that level before.

Todd4State
07-22-2013, 03:54 PM
My All-Star recruiting staff for MSU:

QB- Sleepy
OL- Pork Chop or Tobias Smith
TE- Donald Lee
WR- Eric Moulds
RB- Jerious Norwood or Rod Gibson
DL- Deljuan Robinson
LB- Clarence McDougal
DB- Smooooootttt.
K- Be glad you're even getting a scholarship
Special ops- (Madison Central, South Panola)- Jackie Sherrill code name The Kang.

megadawgmaniac
07-23-2013, 12:29 PM
Just to add on Dicenzo, he has coached at a JUCO (I believe at Jones?) and high school (J.Z. George & Eupora) levels.

TentDawgs
07-23-2013, 06:13 PM
I think we all agree Les and Sallach are the weak links, particularly Sallach. The big change that needs to happen there is for Mullen to relieve Les of all play calling duties and do that himself. It's what he loves to do, so just do it.

Les is one of our best recruiters. The parents love Les.
Also I believe your wrong on the play calling. Might won't to check your sources. Les calls all plays but Mullen has final word on what play we run. Mullen calls 75% of the plays.

Todd4State
07-23-2013, 06:30 PM
Just to add on Dicenzo, he has coached at a JUCO (I believe at Jones?) and high school (J.Z. George & Eupora) levels.

Megadawgmaniac! In the house! Great to see you over here.

missouridawg
07-23-2013, 07:38 PM
I think you're right about the Sallach move... We tried to put him in an off-the-field role this off-season, but Brewsters departure brought him back on (if I remember correctly).

Will James
07-23-2013, 08:07 PM
Dicenzo is currently at 1A Noxapater according to a friend

Demdawgs
07-23-2013, 11:27 PM
My All-Star recruiting staff for MSU:

QB- Sleepy
OL- Pork Chop or Tobias Smith
TE- Donald Lee
WR- Eric Moulds
RB- Jerious Norwood or Rod Gibson
DL- Deljuan Robinson
LB- Clarence McDougal
DB- Smooooootttt.
K- Be glad you're even getting a scholarship
Special ops- (Madison Central, South Panola)- Jackie Sherrill code name The Kang.

Deljuan is interesting. I believe he is coaching in Hernando now.

FlabLoser
07-24-2013, 07:08 AM
Would love to have another Deljuan. He put up a brick wall in the middle of the LOS.