PDA

View Full Version : A Convenient Truth

Political Hack
09-27-2015, 10:52 AM
Our defense has held USM, LSU, and Auburn to their lowest point totals of their seasons thus far. I didn't look up NW State, but the non-FCS games don't really count regardless.

Defense is going to help carry this team this season.

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 11:06 AM
Regarding that last sentence....I don't know whether to pump my fist or palm my face after last night. Loved the "9" on the scoreboard...hated everything else about the D.

SDDawg
09-27-2015, 11:18 AM
Bend Don't Break is a fan's nightmare, even if the scoreboard shows positive results.

GreenheadDawg
09-27-2015, 11:25 AM
I just hate watching the bend don't break. I literally have hair falling out every weekend. The 2 possessions when we got after the QB was really fun to watch. That's the defense I want to see

chef dixon
09-27-2015, 11:39 AM
Regarding that last sentence....I don't know whether to pump my fist or palm my face after last night. Loved the "9" on the scoreboard...hated everything else about the D.

Dude I think you're overreacting a little to the D. They had 82 plays, 36 mins TOP and didn't eclipse 400 yards offense. They were selling out to run the ball with 49 attempts and we didn't give in or wear down and eventually tilted the battle in our favor by mid fourth quarter. I'm proud of our squad, both sides of the ball.

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 11:43 AM
Dude I think you're overreacting a little to the D. They had 82 plays, 36 mins TOP and didn't eclipse 400 yards offense. They were selling out to run the ball with 49 attempts and we didn't give in or wear down and eventually tilted the battle in our favor by mid fourth quarter. I'm proud of our squad, both sides of the ball.

Did you watch the game? They gashed our defense, and they barely threw the ball. Again, I'm glad we held em to 9...but for a team with a first time QB, they ran up and down the field for a better part of the game. I'd rather them do that and score 9, than only have 3 decent drives all game but score 21. But our defense looked horrible last night...let's not sugarcoat it.

We looked awesome at the end when we brought heat. Shows what we're capable of. Bend don't break is just painful.

Coach007
09-27-2015, 11:45 AM
Defense has been good. Made some plays, but we were winded at the end. And let's please keep in mind that this was auburn. A very bad auburn.

I love all the joy over our defense and the wins, but some of the same people will be complaining and calling for the head of coaches if we don't improve.

Coach007
09-27-2015, 11:47 AM
Also, they did that with a first time starter. We play a lot better team next week and it only gets harder. Mizzou, bama, ol? miss, and uk. Those teams are all better than auburn.

chef dixon
09-27-2015, 11:57 AM
Did you watch the game? They gashed our defense, and they barely threw the ball. Again, I'm glad we held em to 9...but for a team with a first time QB, they ran up and down the field for a better part of the game. I'd rather them do that and score 9, than only have 3 decent drives all game but score 21. But our defense looked horrible last night...let's not sugarcoat it.

We looked awesome at the end when we brought heat. Shows what we're capable of. Bend don't break is just painful.

Yea I watched. We gave up a few first downs on drives but I felt confident that the more times they had to line up 1st and 10 again that our D would stop them, and they did. Id like 3 and outs every time too but that's not realistic when you are playing teams with ridiculous talent at almost every position regardless of how they have been playing. "Gashing" in this day in age of college football is a strong term. I believe their biggest gash of the night was a fluke scramble from the limp dick QB. I'll take that all day everyday.

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 12:04 PM
Yea I watched. We gave up a few first downs on drives but I felt confident that the more times they had to line up 1st and 10 again that our D would stop them, and they did. Id like 3 and outs every time too but that's not realistic when you are playing teams with ridiculous talent at almost every position regardless of how they have been playing. "Gashing" in this day in age of college football is a strong term. I believe their biggest gash of the night was a fluke scramble from the limp dick QB. I'll take that all day everyday.

Agree to disagree I guess. 200 yds rushing, 20-28 passing completions, and 36:00 TOP, for a 1st time starter at QB...isn't "good defense" in my eyes.

msstate7
09-27-2015, 12:14 PM
Agree to disagree I guess. 200 yds rushing, 20-28 passing completions, and 36:00 TOP, for a 1st time starter at QB...isn't "good defense" in my eyes.

0 td

We aren't just getting lucky in the red zone. Out of opponents' 14 trips in our red zone, they've scored 4 td's (28.57%)... Best in sec. Next closest team is Florida (4 out of 11 -- 36.36%)

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 12:19 PM
0 td

We aren't just getting lucky in the red zone. Out of opponents' 14 trips in our red zone, they've scored 4 td's (28.57%)... Best in sec. Next closest team is Florida (4 out of 11 -- 36.36%)

Don't mistake my comments with me being unhappy with the overall result last night. But if you think we can allow that type of offensive production all season and win big games, you aren't being realistic. Last nights D is not sustainable for success. If anyone thinks it is, they're trying to be too optimistic. We can't keep our D on the field all night like we have been.

Especially if our offense is only going to score 20 pts per game

Coach007
09-27-2015, 12:21 PM
But 7, allowing them to do that is causing our offense to be on the bench and not on the field. It's great that we have gotten the stops, but we could be ranked 1st in the sec (% is what u stated) with half the attempts. I'm not comfortable with teams like auburn making it into the red zone that much. It concerns me more than it makes me smile.

Like I said they sustained alot of drives that kept our offense off the field. And that limits the amount of attempts they have. Considering we are now pass happy, it hurts rhythm. ...etc.

msstate7
09-27-2015, 12:26 PM
Don't mistake my comments with me being unhappy with the overall result last night. But if you think we can allow that type of offensive production all season and win big games, you aren't being realistic. Last nights D is not sustainable for success. If anyone thinks it is, they're trying to be too optimistic. We can't keep our D on the field all night like we have been.
Good thing we've played the 2 best rushing teams we'll face all year in our first 2 sec games.

we're gonna get better on offense and defense as the year progresses. I think our defense could be really good by end of the year. We're breaking in a new DC and new starters everywhere, yet we're only giving up 14.8 a game

Coach007
09-27-2015, 12:31 PM
I'm happy... but auburn is not... I repeat not a good team. By the time we ay bama, they will be clicking. They have a run game.

Tamu is not a good match up for us. They will get to the outside fast. In my eyes they are a better over all team than lsu.

We are on the road again too. Against them, you don't want to give them the attempts that we did auburn. Our game plan will be much different in my opinion.

msstate7
09-27-2015, 12:36 PM
But 7, allowing them to do that is causing our offense to be on the bench and not on the field. It's great that we have gotten the stops, but we could be ranked 1st in the sec (% is what u stated) with half the attempts. I'm not comfortable with teams like auburn making it into the red zone that much. It concerns me more than it makes me smile.

Like I said they sustained alot of drives that kept our offense off the field. And that limits the amount of attempts they have. Considering we are now pass happy, it hurts rhythm. ...etc.

Would you rather a team hit us with long td's like last year? Our 2 safeties playing deep doesn't lead to many 3 and outs, but it doesn't lead to many explosive td plays... Like OM had last year

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 12:39 PM
Would you rather a team hit us with long td's like last year? Our 2 safeties playing deep doesn't lead to many 3 and outs, but it doesn't lead to many explosive td plays... Like OM had last year

I would prefer neither.

It's not like you have to suck at one aspect of your defense. We pay Manny well to come up with a good defensive gameplan. We aren't a DII team playing SEC teams....we have the talent to stop the run AND the deep ball...doesn't have to be one or the other.

msstate7
09-27-2015, 12:43 PM
I would prefer neither.

It's not like you have to suck at one aspect of your defense. We pay Manny well to come up with a good defensive gameplan. We aren't a DII team playing SEC teams....we have the talent to stop the run AND the deep ball...doesn't have to be one or the other.

We have weak safeties. If our safeties come up, they get burned more often than not. When mclaurin, peters, and Bryant are ready, I think we'll attack more.

Political Hack
09-27-2015, 12:49 PM
0 td

Exactly. Red zone defense. 3rd down conversions. Negative plays. Turnovers. That's what we need to look for. If we succeed in those areas, we will CONTINUE to have a good year.

Political Hack
09-27-2015, 12:52 PM
I would prefer neither.

Manny's scheme is predicated on not giving up the big plays and waiting to put the offense in a hole before taking advantage and getting them off the field. You hedge your bets and make them dink and dunk down the field and then tighten up in the red zone. If we continue to play well in the RZ and dial up new pressures on 3rd downs and allow a very low 3rd down conversion %, we will be successful in defense.

People can complain all they want about yardage. Points is what matters.

IMissJack
09-27-2015, 12:55 PM
Exactly. Red zone defense. 3rd down conversions. Negative plays. Turnovers. That's what we need to look for. If we succeed in those areas, we will CONTINUE to have a good year.

I think I heard the announcer say MSU has the best 3rd down defense in the SEC based on Stats.

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 12:57 PM
Manny's scheme is predicated on not giving up the big plays and waiting to put the offense in a hole before taking advantage and getting them off the field. You hedge your bets and make them dink and dunk down the field and then tighten up in the red zone. If we continue to play well in the RZ and dial up new pressures on 3rd downs and allow a very low 3rd down conversion %, we will be successful in defense.

People can complain all they want about yardage. Points is what matters.

Well of course if we keep people from scoring we will be successful.....but how sustainable is allowing teams 5+ red zone appearances per game and only giving up 3 FG's? I'm looking long term....and that shit last night loses against a decent team. If you're wanting 7 wins, then by all means, let's keep hoping teams shoot themselves in the foot in the red zone....but I'm saying that shit has to stop, and we have to get our D off the field, if we actually want to contend this year.

But maybe I'm wrong...maybe we defy all statistical odds and shut everyone down in the red zone all year. Just sounds like a terrible gameplan.

Jack Lambert
09-27-2015, 12:59 PM
Bend Don't Break is a fan's nightmare, even if the scoreboard shows positive results.

I think the defensive calling was the best we have had all year and felt good about the calling. Our guys were in the right position to make plays consistantly. The problem last night was locking up on tackles. Lock up and Auburn does not score.

Really Clark?
09-27-2015, 01:10 PM
Well of course if we keep people from scoring we will be successful.....but how sustainable is allowing teams 5+ red zone appearances per game and only giving up 3 FG's? I'm looking long term....and that shit last night loses against a decent team. If you're wanting 7 wins, then by all means, let's keep hoping teams shoot themselves in the foot in the red zone....but I'm saying that shit has to stop, and we have to get our D off the field, if we actually want to contend this year.

But maybe I'm wrong...maybe we defy all statistical odds and shut everyone down in the red zone all year. Just sounds like a terrible gameplan.

I get what you are saying but go back and look at what he did in 2010. There was a lot of bending during that time as well then striking when he had what he wanted and tightening up in the redzone.

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 01:16 PM
I get what you are saying but go back and look at what he did in 2010. There was a lot of bending during that time as well then striking when he had what he wanted and tightening up in the redzone.

Yep, and with a roster full of NFL guys that year, we lost to LSU, Auburn, Bama, and Arkansas....with Auburn being the only one we held under 29 points.

I want to win the West, not just beat the teams we Should beat. Is that not our goal? If not, I'll stop.

MrKotter
09-27-2015, 01:18 PM
Some of you on here a just f-ing unbearable. Give up 9 and still upset. Put down the PlayStation and get real.

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 01:20 PM
Some of you on here a just f-ing unbearable. Give up 9 and still upset. Put down the PlayStation and get real.

We aren't pissed, just discussing the defense. Don't want to read it or add something valuable...then leave. It's a messageboard, and we discuss and breakdown games here. Nobody is upset with the win. Genespage is that way ---->
if you want to sit around high fiving. We discuss things here.

msstate7
09-27-2015, 01:23 PM
Yep, and with a roster full of NFL guys that year, we lost to LSU, Auburn, Bama, and Arkansas....with Auburn being the only one we held under 29 points.

I want to win the West, not just beat the teams we Should beat. Is that not our goal? If not, I'll stop.

Those were pretty damn good teams. I think any of those teams could win the sec this year or come very close.

Oh and mark 2 of those teams off for this year with only 30 between them

Goldendawg
09-27-2015, 01:23 PM
Bend but don't break drives me nuts. Even when we stop them it usually gives our offense a long field for us to drive for a score. D gets tired and we badly lose TOP. Maybe the young safties will get better quickly and we can be more aggressive, but I sure don't miss those long touchdown passes against us from last year.

Really Clark?
09-27-2015, 01:39 PM

That's correct. And we had the 3rd ranked scoring defense that year in the league. This is Manny's defense we are going to bend at times. And like was stated earlier. That was the most historically difficult division in college football in 2010.

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 01:43 PM
That's correct. And we had the 3rd ranked scoring defense that year in the league. This is Manny's defense we are going to bend at times. And like was stated earlier. That was the most historically difficult division in college football in 2010.

I think we're close to having a good scheme...but we have got to wrap up and be better on the edges. The rest of the philosophy will work well enough if we do the small things and fundamentals, while continuing red zone efficiency

msstate7
09-27-2015, 01:45 PM
I think we're close to having a good scheme...but we have got to wrap up and be better on the edges. The rest of the philosophy will work well enough if we do the small things and fundamentals, while continuing red zone efficiency
This I agree with. We have to tackle better, which I feel we will

Really Clark?
09-27-2015, 01:48 PM

I agree. We tackle better and the yards and extended drives reduce even more and that reduces the redzone opportunities.

Liverpooldawg
09-27-2015, 01:49 PM
What we are doing now is exactly what we did when Manny was here before. I remember him being interviewed once when he said the idea is make the offense work down the field. You hope they make a mistake. If they don't then you tighten up in the red zone. It makes you as a fan pull your hair out, but it can and does work.

mstatefan91
09-27-2015, 02:14 PM
The defense is fine.

I honestly don't get the hate. The scheme has proven itself to work. It isn't fun to watch, but we get the results we want.

Also, TOP is more on our offense than the defense. We couldn't keep the ball for longer than 2 minutes for our drives.. the defense was asked to play the whole game and did a really good job.

Todd4State
09-27-2015, 03:15 PM
I don't think we're trying to be bend but don't break as much as we are just missing tackles. Plus we have been playing a lot of run heavy teams and we have had some crazy circumstances that I think forced us to be a little more conservative:

USM- First game of the year for them and for us with a new scheme.

LSU- First game of the year for them with very little film on what they might do.

NWS- Didn't matter what we did.

Auburn- New QB that had never played before with very little film of him.

blacklistedbully
09-27-2015, 03:17 PM
Poor tackling. That is what contributed to Auburn's TOP and points more than anything, IMO. On almost every Auburn extended drive, we gave them extra yards and extra sets of downs due to nothing more than missed tackles, often multiple missed tackles on the same plays.

Thick
09-27-2015, 03:25 PM
Poor tackling. That is what contributed to Auburn's TOP and points more than anything, IMO. On almost every Auburn extended drive, we gave them extra yards and extra sets of downs due to nothing more than missed tackles, often multiple missed tackles on the same plays.

Bravo, bravo......this guy gets it!!! Good post

sleepy dawg
09-27-2015, 04:31 PM

I wouldn't say the better part of the game... I haven't gone back and re-watched the game yet, but it seemed the vast majority of "gashing" happened on just a couple of drives that we couldn't tackle on.

BulldogBear
09-27-2015, 06:48 PM
I think the defensive calling was the best we have had all year and felt good about the calling. Our guys were in the right position to make plays consistantly. The problem last night was locking up on tackles. Lock up and Auburn does not score.

Lock up and they don't make it to the redzone on th3 first drive.

I think our defensive scheme is more or less fine for who we are on defense. Clean up th3 tackling and we could be the best scoring defense in the conference come December.

Brando
09-27-2015, 07:36 PM

Exactly! Look how many times we had AU at 2nd or 3rd and 10+ and missed a tackle and they got all the yrds they needed.

tcdog70
09-27-2015, 07:51 PM
W
We aren't pissed, just discussing the defense. Don't want to read it or add something valuable...then leave. It's a messageboard, and we discuss and breakdown games here. Nobody is upset with the win. Genespage is that way ---->
if you want to sit around high fiving. We discuss things here.

The two TDs we gave up to LSU in the first quarter were more the fault of the offense and shitty punting. Plus a phantom holding call. The short field is a killer. I just don't see how anyone can nitpick our defense. One touchdown in the last three quarters in the SEC. Name another defense in the SEC that has done that?

Todd4State
09-27-2015, 07:57 PM
Oh- and we are in the top three in the SEC in sacks currently despite playing one team thus far that I would consider a passing team.

You never know- but I wouldn't be surprised if we add to our INT total next week as well now that we are finally playing a pass first team.

bulldawg28
09-27-2015, 08:16 PM
The defense was leaps and bounds last night over the 1st two weeks. We had tackles for lost, sacks, pressure, goaline stuffs, and an int. I'm excited as now our guys are trusting the defense and making plays. We'll start making those tackles and our defense could be near the top of the SEC.

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 08:18 PM
W

The two TDs we gave up to LSU in the first quarter were more the fault of the offense and shitty punting. Plus a phantom holding call. The short field is a killer. I just don't see how anyone can nitpick our defense. One touchdown in the last three quarters in the SEC. Name another defense in the SEC that has done that?

Not sure why people can't understand that nobody is debating the scoring defense so far. But the lack of tackling, and the ease at which we allow teams into our red zone is an issue. I'm discussing if that is sustainable to continue doing that and expecting to beat good teams. I'm discussing long term, not last night. We aren't playing Auburn the rest of the year.....and if we tackle like that, and allow red zone opps like that, vs A&M we will get destroyed. Especially if we only put up 20 points on offense.

Nobody is saying anything about scoring......except that we can't hope that letting teams get inside the 10 five times per game is going to continue only allowing 9 points. Bc it won't.

DancingRabbit
09-27-2015, 08:18 PM
W

You meant last 5 quarters?

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 08:20 PM
The defense was leaps and bounds last night over the 1st two weeks. We had tackles for lost, sacks, pressure, goaline stuffs, and an int. I'm excited as now our guys are trusting the defense and making plays. We'll start making those tackles and our defense could be near the top of the SEC.

I agree after rewatching. The tackling concerns me, Bc that's not always a quick fix. And it's our biggest issue

Schultzy
09-27-2015, 08:25 PM
Cadaver, you are out of your ****ing mind.

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 08:29 PM

Ha probably so

DownwardDawg
09-27-2015, 08:31 PM

No. At the end of the day, looking back the D did a good job. However, during the game we looked horrible on D!! Everyone I watched the game with was cursing the D during the game. Auburn was 17'n gashing our D. They ran all over us. That little kid QB had the announcers creaming their pants over how he was orchestrating drives up and down the field on our D.
Again, we effectively held them to 9 points, but if you are satisfied with how the defense looked during the game, then I don't know what to say.

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 08:33 PM
Way to go, D! You da man, Manny!

Keep tackling like shit and giving up 200+ on the ground, and I'll keep hoping we play teams like Auburn that can't score TD's while in our redzone all night.

Since nobody wants to see the problems & talk about em, I'll just join in the "ignore em and they may go away" group. Hail State.

bulldawg28
09-27-2015, 08:35 PM
I agree after rewatching. The tackling concerns me, Bc that's not always a quick fix. And it's our biggest issue

Honestly, tackling is easy to fix. Tackling is half confidence and half attitude.

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 08:35 PM
No. At the end of the day, looking back the D did a good job. However, during the game we looked horrible on D!! Everyone I watched the game with was cursing the D during the game. Auburn was 17'n gashing our D. They ran all over us. That little kid QB had the announcers creaming their pants over how he was orchestrating drives up and down the field on our D.
Again, we effectively held them to 9 points, but if you are satisfied with how the defense looked during the game, then I don't know what to say.

Thank you! All I was trying to say

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 08:36 PM
Honestly, tackling is easy to fix. Tackling is half confidence and half attitude.

Then there's a coaching issue too....Bc we've had a spring, summer, and 4 games, yet still tackle like sissies

Schultzy
09-27-2015, 08:56 PM
We only gave up only 21 to Lsu which should be a small enough number to win that game at home and no other team this year will hold them to that low a number.

our defense is good

Eta: and the rest of you bitching about tackling are stupid.

Jarius
09-27-2015, 09:04 PM
We just held a SEC West opponent to zero touchdowns on the road and we still have people complaining. Some of you have extremely unrealistic expectations. This is 2015, not 1984. Offenses are going to get some yards. Some of you are embarrassing yourself.

Todd4State
09-27-2015, 09:07 PM
Then there's a coaching issue too....Bc we've had a spring, summer, and 4 games, yet still tackle like sissies

Again, personnel decisions by Dan. Zach Jackson needs to sit and Gray and Green need to take over. More Bryant and Peters at safety.

It's no coincidence that when we play some of our more talented guys all of a sudden we play better.

Todd4State
09-27-2015, 09:08 PM
We only gave up only 21 to Lsu which should be a small enough number to win that game at home and no other team this year will hold them to that low a number.

our defense is good

If we hold people to 21 or less, we are going to have a good chance of winning every game.

Todd4State
09-27-2015, 09:09 PM
You meant last 5 quarters?

Let's go further- one the last 8 quarters.

DancingRabbit
09-27-2015, 09:21 PM
Let's go further- one the last 8 quarters.

He was talking SEC. But I still fumbled. It's actually 1 TD allowed in the last 6 quarters in SEC play, and 1 TD in the last 9 quarters altogether.

Coach34
09-27-2015, 09:32 PM
We are PRETTY GOOD on Defense- we are not GREAT on defense.

The thing is we are working some very good talent into the fold on D- and should get better. Thats very encouraging

Barking 13
09-27-2015, 09:33 PM
it's CDM's way of letting the other team burn clock*** let them run all over the field, but don't let them score... then we come in and move 70 yds in 5 plays for 6...

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 09:37 PM

our defense is good

Stupid? Why? It's a real problem. So take your attitude and shut the **** up, nobody is making you discuss it. I joked about your smart ass comment the first time, but I'm not now. Either add something, or shut up. Our tackling Sucks, and it's part of our defense...so there's defensive issues to discuss. I don't give a shit whether you agree or not, Bc those are just facts.

Don't come in this thread telling people they've lost their minds and that others are stupid, without adding anything worth a shit.

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 09:48 PM
We just held a SEC West opponent to zero touchdowns on the road and we still have people complaining. Some of you have extremely unrealistic expectations. This is 2015, not 1984. Offenses are going to get some yards. Some of you are embarrassing yourself.

Another person acting like people are upset that we won. Did you come on this message board expecting to see people discussing how great we are, or discussing ways we can improve? Some of you guys amaze me at the way you think everybody should just be praising our program on this board every time we win. Can people not be happy with the win AND discuss ways we need to get better? Is that okay with you sunshine pumpers? It doesn't mean we want Dan fired, or Manny fired....it's just discussing ways to improve. But thank you for reminding us to be happy with a win. We are, I promise. Just don't want 35 threads of fireworks and champagne bottles....is that okay?
Good grief, how hard is it to just not click on a thread if you aren't interested in the talk?

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 09:51 PM
We are PRETTY GOOD on Defense- we are not GREAT on defense.

The thing is we are working some very good talent into the fold on D- and should get better. Thats very encouraging

I agree. I was pumped to see all the younger guys. Get the tackling fixed and we'll be on our way. Rewatching the game makes you realize just how much the missed tackles are our problem. Coach, what type of drills can be done mid season to improve tackling, or at this point is it simply a mindset, or a "don't wrap up, you sit", type of thing?

Todd4State
09-27-2015, 09:53 PM
Another person acting like people are upset that we won. Did you come on this message board expecting to see people discussing how great we are, or discussing ways we can improve? Some of you guys amaze me at the way you think everybody should just be praising our program on this board every time we win. Can people not be happy with the win AND discuss ways we need to get better? Is that okay with you sunshine pumpers? It doesn't mean we want Dan fired, or Manny fired....it's just discussing ways to improve. But thank you for reminding us to be happy with a win. We are, I promise. Just don't want 35 threads of fireworks and champagne bottles....is that okay?
Good grief, how hard is it to just not click on a thread if you aren't interested in the talk?

I agree. Some people on this board need to quit being incredibly sensitive about Dan and his decisions. Every coach does something questionable- even Vince Lombardi. Anyone else thinking that Bama fans aren't questioning Saban right now, or Auburn fans aren't questioning Mahlzahn right now? You're talking about two guys that have won National Championships.

It's not like people are calling for Dan to be fired or that we're pissed off- we're just looking at ways to get even better.

Coach34
09-27-2015, 09:58 PM
I agree. I was pumped to see all the younger guys. Get the tackling fixed and we'll be on our way. Rewatching the game makes you realize just how much the missed tackles are our problem. Coach, what type of drills can be done mid season to improve tackling, or at this point is it simply a mindset, or a "don't wrap up, you sit", type of thing?

You do your basic tackling drills- emphasize wrapping up and thats about all you can do. You dont do much full speed tackling in practice at this point.

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 09:59 PM
I agree. Some people on this board need to quit being incredibly sensitive about Dan and his decisions. Every coach does something questionable- even Vince Lombardi. Anyone else thinking that Bama fans aren't questioning Saban right now, or Auburn fans aren't questioning Mahlzahn right now? You're talking about two guys that have won National Championships.

It's not like people are calling for Dan to be fired or that we're pissed off- we're just looking at ways to get even better.

+1

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 10:00 PM
You do your basic tackling drills- emphasize wrapping up and thats about all you can do. You dont do much full speed tackling in practice at this point.

Thanks

Jarius
09-27-2015, 10:01 PM
You are being extremely dramatic about our defensive issues. The days of dominant defenses are over. Ole miss is considered to have an elite defense and they gave up 20 something to Fresno, 16 to Vandy, and 37 to Bama. What I'm trying to tell you is that complaining about our defense that has given up 1 touchdown in the past 9 quarters is stupid, because defenses can't play the same way they used to play. The rules favor the offense and the spread is never going to be stopped, just contained. The players we play against are on scholarship too.

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 10:05 PM
You are being extremely dramatic about our defensive issues. The days of dominant defenses are over. Ole miss is considered to have an elite defense and they gave up 20 something to Fresno, 16 to Vandy, and 37 to Bama. What I'm trying to tell you is that complaining about our defense is stupid, because defenses can't play the same way they used to play.

I'm not complaining. I'm discussing. But thanks Mom.

Todd4State
09-27-2015, 10:05 PM
You are being extremely dramatic about our defensive issues. The days of dominant defenses are over. Ole miss is considered to have an elite defense and they gave up 20 something to Fresno, 16 to Vandy, and 37 to Bama. What I'm trying to tell you is that complaining about our defense is stupid, because defenses can't play the same way they used to play.

If you consider Ole Miss an elite defense, you would have to consider us an elite defense as well seeing as how we're 7th in the SEC in total defense and they are 9th.

I don't totally agree with you about dominant defenses being a thing of the past- assuming we have the same definition of dominant defenses.

Jarius
09-27-2015, 10:13 PM
Name one dominant defense in college football. I can't think of one. I brought up ole miss because everyone on here was sucking their dick after giving up 37 points to a mediocre Alabama offense. Our defense is as good as theirs and most on here that I've seen consider theirs elite.

If you consider Ole Miss an elite defense, you would have to consider us an elite defense as well seeing as how we're 7th in the SEC in total defense and they are 9th.

I don't totally agree with you about dominant defenses being a thing of the past- assuming we have the same definition of dominant defenses.

Jarius
09-27-2015, 10:17 PM
I'm not complaining. I'm discussing. But thanks Mom.

Most rational people that read this thread would say you were complaining about our defense. I apologize for getting you upset to the point that you are calling me mom. We are on the same side. Hopefully we won't get run off the field next week by the team that scored a whopping 21 points in regulation vs 1-3 Arkansas Saturday.

Maroonthirteen
09-27-2015, 10:17 PM
Only drill we could do at this point is to put on 20lbs of.muscle and increase our quickness.

It isn't as easy as it looks to tackle a guy that out weights you and is quicker than you are.

Todd4State
09-28-2015, 12:06 AM
Name one dominant defense in college football. I can't think of one. I brought up ole miss because everyone on here was sucking their dick after giving up 37 points to a mediocre Alabama offense. Our defense is as good as theirs and most on here that I've seen consider theirs elite.

Alabama.

Jarius
09-28-2015, 07:49 AM
They may be an elite defense in today's college football but they are not dominant IMO

msstate7
09-28-2015, 07:53 AM
Alabama.

Elite vs run. Mediocre vs pass

Political Hack
09-28-2015, 08:57 AM
Alabama.

Bama just gave up 11,000 points to Northern Miss at home. I wouldn't be bragging about them right now. Pretty sure their fans aren't! Paging Tusk...

Tackling needs to improve, but look at what Richie Brown did in one week. Massive improvements closing and finishing. When we stopped having to worry about teams going over the top, we shut them down. 14 RZ trips. Only 4 TDs. We've also played against the Heisman front runner and the best RB in the nation imo. We're #1 in the SEC in 3rd down conversions allowed. #8 nationally. We're #2 in the SEC in passing yards allowed per game. #3 in the SEC in scoring defense. And still in the top half of the SEC in total defense.

Remove NW State and were scoring 24 points per game on offense. In SEC play, we're averaging 18 points a game. We're used to the offense carrying us lately, but that's not the case so far this season. A&M isn't giving up 40+ points a game anymore either. If y'all want to worry about something, worry about us scoring enough against a prolific offense to stay in the game.

Statefan
09-28-2015, 08:57 AM
I will say that watching AU run and run and run and run and us miss 100 tackles during the 2nd and 3rd quarter was super frustrating.

BUT

We are averaging 18 pt per game in our SEC games and had a very legitimate shot of being 2-0. For that reason alone I am more worried about the offense than Manny at the moment...

LC Dawg
09-28-2015, 10:00 AM
I think the worst thing we could do against a new quarterback is let him throw over the top of us and get some quick scores. We played conservatively and didn't let this happen and then threw some different looks at White when he got in the red zone. It wasn't pretty but it worked.
Diaz made some adjustments in the LSU game and did a real good job against Fournette in the second half.
A&M will be a challenge but I think our defense is up to the challenge. We obviously have to clean up some of our tackling but Richie Brown cleaned up his issues so there is hope that others will also. We will also have to score more than 19 points.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-28-2015, 10:42 AM
I would prefer neither.

It's frustrating for sure and I didn't read the whole thread to see if it's been mentioned, but I'd argue he's running things this way to hide our lack of athleticism at safety and to hide some lack of experience and other deficiencies we don't see.

chef dixon
09-28-2015, 10:51 AM
Gerri Green was putting in work son. I was happy to see him playing a lot in a big game. He met the challenge.

MadDawg
09-28-2015, 11:07 AM
Can I bottom line this thread?

We have a good defense that could be great if we start tackling better. Most of those "bend but don't break" drives would have never happened if we bring down the runner with first contact. Not many of their runs would have gone more that 3-4 yards if not for whiff after whiff by our defense.

Political Hack
09-28-2015, 11:14 AM
It's frustrating for sure and I didn't read the whole thread to see if it's been mentioned, but I'd argue he's running things this way to hide our lack of athleticism at safety and to hide some lack of experience and other deficiencies we don't see.

It's his scheme. Even when we blitz we don't take away the first option underneath routes. He protects against the deep ball and keeps everything in front of the defense. He plays for 3rd downs and then makes sure they don't convert. It's a smart approach given the dynamic offenses in college football. I think it's going to be more effective against Auburn, A&M, and OM than we have been in years past too.

Let me say this... manny's general approach to his scheme is not going to change week to week. No deep balls. Take advantage when they dig themselves a hole with a penalty or a negative play. It's that's easy.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-28-2015, 11:40 AM
It's his scheme. Even when we blitz we don't take away the first option underneath routes. He protects against the deep ball and keeps everything in front of the defense. He plays for 3rd downs and then makes sure they don't convert. It's a smart approach given the dynamic offenses in college football. I think it's going to be more effective against Auburn, A&M, and OM than we have been in years past too.

Let me say this... manny's general approach to his scheme is not going to change week to week. No deep balls. Take advantage when they dig themselves a hole with a penalty or a negative play. It's that's easy.

Agreed and it seems he likes to blitz on first down to get them behind the chains or wait for a mistake on their part to attack. We can all sit here and debate it, but I don't give a shit what he runs if we win haha.

engie
09-28-2015, 11:48 AM
We are going to see the 4Q Auburn defense the whole game against atm IMO. I can't wait to see what we have in store for that. For as potentially great as both of those qbs are, I'd argue they haven't seen anything as exotic as what we are going to show them with the pre-snap eye candy and constant blitzing...