PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning QB- No Excuses Edition

Coach34
09-27-2015, 10:49 AM
1. A big thank you to I Seen It and his sweet wife for their hospitality yesterday. Pork tacos and ribs were outstanding. Thank goodness the sheriff didnt have to make an appearance last night.

2. #RTGDF is dead folks. Long Live the Dan Mullen Air Raid offense. Apparently, Holloway is the only RB we have that gain yardage in our new offense- he was 5/42 last night. He is animal running the ball for us. Shumpert is a wasted carry. But Shump really is so damn good at everything else. He blocks extremely well and has really good hands. DLee- pleaseeeee get your ass in gear at practice and your nose in the playbook. I'm not sure how long Holloway is going to survive- and you re needed badly. I think we're going to Dear slowly get more and more touches also. He's a good looking Freshman- just got to remember true freshmen slowly get better as they play.

3. We only had 3 1st half possessions last night- and scored TD's on 2 of them. Thats pretty good. Great playcall vs their coverage on the Myles TD- I knew their problems in the Secondary would rear their ugly head. Bear is damn animal at WR- he is still being underused. He was going to catch that TD pass no matter what happened. He did have one bad drop though- and Walley had a huge fumble. Cant do that Walley- that drive would have put the game away. In spite of the fumble- Walley is doing a very good job at TE. He even made a good seal block on a running play last night. Fred Brown is slowly getting his touches as well.

4. Prescott looked good last night distributing the ball. Very good night for him. No complaints really. He had a couple of drops and a fumble by Walley hurt some drives or we certainly would have scored more. Still wish he was running more.

5. Calhoun and Jenkins got them some time last night. Jenkins looked really good a few times- messed up a couple times. I dont see alot of difference in him and Rufus- keep working him in. I didnt notice Calhoun during the game- will check him out when I watch the replay. Our OL played well. Not one sack last night in 41 passes.

6. Our DL is playing well. People need to understand that we play a different scheme from Northern Miss- and we arent going to get as many big plays out of our DL. They slant and try to bull their way upfield to create chaos- we are more gap controlled with stunts mixed in. We did allow 200 yards rushing and that's slightly concerning- but Auburn's OL is good and Gus committed to the run last night because of his QB. We kept them out of the end zone- and that's what playing D is about.
AJ and Ry have to be better with contain. AJ crashed a couple times- losing contain and it cost us. but they also get very disruptive.

7. Richie played really well. He and Bennie just read so well. Richie wasnt Mr Almost last night- he got there for 13 tackles and 2 sacks. Great game. Zach Jackson makes my hemorrhoids hurt. Green and Harris got them some last night. Green looks really good at times on his reads- but still inconsistent when you compare him to the Brown Brothers. He is learning from some good ones though and his talent will eventually shine.

8. Coman played better last night. Redmond atoned for his mistimed jump by making a great read on the QB for his interception. He got a little banged up last night- need him full speed Saturday. Cleveland played a good bit last night and looked solid.

9. I thought Manny did a good job with selective pressure. 4 sacks is a good night.

10. If we are going to go "Air Raid"- then let's do it. We have a really good 2 deep to distribute to. It's better than looking clueless in the 1st half like we have our last few SEC games. We just need to do it like Spurrier did back in the day- come out throwing- get them on their heels- then start running the 2nd half and wear them down. Holloway shows we can run the football- he's averaging 7 ypc this season. It just has to be done the right way.

11. Did I mention I'm still pissed about that delay of game against LSU- has really cost us? A&M Saturday is another elimination game for us. Must win- and if we do- we are setting ourselves up to be in position for the West in November.

Rally round the Family with a pocket full of shells- let's get A&M and this season gets real fun

BeastMan
09-27-2015, 10:56 AM
Nice write up and agree on all points. With the lack of consistent running game do you think we'll see more screens & draws to slow down their ends? This game begs for Dak running the ball inside but we have yet to see it. As I said preseason, MSU will be more pass-centric and that's rings true every week.

HoopsDawg
09-27-2015, 11:06 AM
Another good post. I also thought Cleveland played really well.

I wish we could get a playmaker at WLB. There are plays to be made from that position. JT Gray hasn't really taken that role either.

Shump is going to be a big factor next week helping out on Myles Garrett. If we win at A&M, things set up really well all the way to Bama at home.

PMDawg
09-27-2015, 11:24 AM
I am still confused as to why we give teams the edge in the run game. Auburn didnt get crap up the middle except for a QB keeper or two. Auburn was destroying us on the edge all night and it looked like we were just giving them that to take other stuff away. Was that on purpose or were we just getting beat out there?

basedog
09-27-2015, 11:26 AM
Holloway is a clone to Kenny Roberts, he is pretty darn tough for 160#. He's getting better and Dan is using him correctly.

No doubt Dak has improved a lot, as for as running he do believe the rumors bout a sports hernia. He doesn't have that burst of speed we saw last year.

3-1!!!!!

confucius say
09-27-2015, 11:33 AM
Ol is coming together. They will have their toughest test yet next week with the aggies ends, especially considering they can pin their ears back and come bc we are not running the ball.

Speaking of running the ball, holloway has been a life saver. The fact that he is averaging 8 yards a carry tells me the ol is not the problem as much as shump. More dear and lee please.

ShotgunDawg
09-27-2015, 11:38 AM
I laugh every time Holloway gets tackled. He gets absolutely demolished or throw.

That being said, he hits the hole so much harder & efficiently than Shump. It's ridiculous

Coach34
09-27-2015, 11:43 AM
Holloway is really good running the ball. He has the speed, and sees the holes as well as makes the cuts necessary. He's just small

RiverCityDawg
09-27-2015, 11:43 AM
Good points.

Regarding the running game, I hope you're right about Dear. Mullen trusts him to play so if Lee and/or Williams don't step up it might even make sense to move Dear to RB full time. We have to be able to run the ball and it's clearly not going to work with Shump, who should probably be the backup TE. At this point, if the young guys aren't ready, Holloway should be the starter and get as many carries as he can physically handle.

Tbonewannabe
09-27-2015, 11:47 AM
Interesting enough. Our offense is just like North MS last year. We are using WR screens as our "running" plays. I don't know if Dan just thinks other than Holloway occasionally, we just don't have a RB.

I just don't understand how teams have RBs play as freshmen all over the place but we are going to play someone averaging 3 yards and 1 yard per carry against SEC defenses. Holloway is having pretty good success. Wasn't Alec Murphy and Nick Gibson doing well in August? If Williams and Lee aren't good enough to pass Shump, I have a hard time believing we don't have a RB on the roster besides Holloway that can get more than a 2 yard average.

Tbonewannabe
09-27-2015, 11:49 AM
Holloway is really good running the ball. He has the speed, and sees the whim as well as makes the cuts necessary. He's just small

We just need to use him like Darren Sproles. Every carry Shump has, the only benefit is maybe less hits on Dak or Holloway.

PassInterference
09-27-2015, 11:50 AM
Auburn just broke another tackle.

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 11:54 AM
Great post, Coach. Agree on all points. If we're going air raid, let's do it right and quit running Shump. We're wasting downs and series. Why no Gray with all that passing?

Sacrifice
09-27-2015, 12:04 PM
How bout my boy Westin Graves? 5 for 5 on the season and smoked a 44 yarder last night. Ball went 15 rows deep in the stands, Would've been good from 54.

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 12:06 PM
How bout my boy Westin Graves? 5 for 5 on the season and smoked a 44 yarder last night. Ball went 15 rows deep in the stands, Would've been good from 54.

Best surprise of the season, hands down.

Wish I could see him kick that 52 yarder vs LSU

War Machine Dawg
09-27-2015, 12:17 PM
Best surprise of the season, hands down.

Wish I could see him kick that 52 yarder vs LSU

That's going to piss me off all season. Damn Dan's love affair with Bell to hell.

Dallas_Dawg
09-27-2015, 12:17 PM

He's doing well and has been a pleasant surprise. Still makes me sick that he didn't try the LSU game kick

War Machine Dawg
09-27-2015, 12:19 PM
Great post, Coach. Agree on all points. If we're going air raid, let's do it right and quit running Shump. We're wasting downs and series. Why no Gray with all that passing?

Can't disagree. If we're going Air Raid, let's go all in with it. Get this group of WRs & TEs more involved. Why the disappearing act for Justin Johnson the last two weeks? Walley is good when he's not fumbling, but JJ can be special. And he's already a better blocker than Walley.

PassInterference
09-27-2015, 12:26 PM

If Mullen lets him kick against LSU....

Coach34
09-27-2015, 12:34 PM
Walley is a fantastic TE in the passing game. I'm pissed he fumbled too- but he's been really good and might catch 50 balls this year

BHildreth3
09-27-2015, 12:44 PM
Coach, correct me if i'm wrong, but don't you have to hold the ball with the nose of the football in the elbow? - if so, then it's basically impossible to rip it out. Wally wasn't doing that.

Tbonewannabe
09-27-2015, 12:51 PM
Walley is a fantastic TE in the passing game. I'm pissed he fumbled too- but he's been really good and might catch 50 balls this year

Don't know if it has anything to do with it but Walley is Dak's roommate. It might help with chemistry. I know Romo and Whitten hang out a lot and it does nothing but help.

Goldendawg
09-27-2015, 01:01 PM
Coach, I know it was a bang-bang play in real time, but shouldn't Walley try to switch the ball away from the potential on coming tackler after he makes the catch if possible. The play on 4th down he had the ball in his right arm and was hit and stripped from that direction. The same thing happened when he fumbled a pass out of bounds after the catch on the sidelines. I too think he is doing a very good job overall.

Coach34
09-27-2015, 01:01 PM
Don't know if it has anything to do with it but Walley is Dak's roommate. It might help with chemistry. I know Romo and Whitten hang out a lot and it does nothing but help.

Yes they are best friends and roommates. Can you imagine how many girls run thru their place???

Yes, it certainly adds chemistry. Just like on that pop pass Dakota hit him with in the LSU game before Bear's TD- that was site adjustment and something those 2 only knew he was throwing it that quick. Walley made a helluva catch on that play also. I like Johnson a lot- but Walley gives us a great target in the middle of the field right now

SheltonChoked
09-27-2015, 01:02 PM
I'll ask some of you coaches if so many of our pass calls are due to what the defense is giving us. It looks to me like everyone is keying on dak to run. That's what changed the end of last year (Alabama game on). It seems our adjustmenT is passing the ball a lot.

I don't think our drop between our skill group 1 on offense and our skill group 2 is that large. I'd like to see us play more of the 2's ( at RB, TE, and WR). I think that would be a good tempo keeper.

We really did a good job with subs on defense this game. Have to hold the edge better. Better tackling as the game went on I thought. Loved the late blitz for a couple of reasons. First the pressure brought. Second we had our FS( not sure who it was) 10 yards deeper than the deepest and retreating. Diaz is determined not to give up the big play. Even with pressure.

I was impressed with our OL pass blocking. Holloway really trusts the OL and hits the hole fast. That's what Shump is not doing. He's waiting. We have to see Lee or Williams vs A&M. Shump is not fooling anyone. He can still have his 5 carries. dear is our Percy Harvin. He should line up everywhere. Get him the ball however we can and in which ever play he learned that week.

Coach34
09-27-2015, 01:02 PM
Coach, I know it was a bang-bang play in real time, but shouldn't Walley try to switch the ball away from the potential on coming tackler after he makes the catch if possible. The play on 4th down he had the ball in his right arm and was hit and stripped from that direction. The same thing happened when he fumbled a pass out of bounds after the catch on the sidelines. I too think he is doing a very good job overall.

He will get reminded of all that during film today I assure you

SheltonChoked
09-27-2015, 01:08 PM
On replay he covered the ball with both arms as he was about to be hit. Make me think that either 1) he didn't have it very secure or 2) he's not that strong

mic
09-27-2015, 01:16 PM
Auburn just broke another tackle.

.....and still haven't scored a TD

RougeDawg
09-27-2015, 01:30 PM
Spot on coach.

Can i get your comments on Mullen's at calling last night seems we move the ball at will when Dan uses the "go for the jugular" playbook. Then all of a sudden, be it a large lead etc, he pulls out the "run the clock out" playbook when we could step on their throats.

Most games we have the ability to end them a whole hell of a lot earlier if we would just continue the plays that allowed the large lead early. Why does dan continue to be satisfied with close wins when we could be blowing teams out? If anyone else watched the other college football games yesterday, you cannot leave a team within 2 scores comfortably, if you have the option. We need to start putting nails in the coffin early and not leave any doubt as soon as we can. The play calling change after we get up is not going to cut it.

As for the entire game, Holloway was a great surprise. Looked a little Percy Harvin like last night and we used him well for his skill set.
I guess Richie is on this board because he stepped up big time. Richie what is your username?
Ryan Brown is getting nastier by the week. Love the guy.
"Homer Simpson" Nick James was taking up space as usual.
Still wish we used Chris Jones more to attack. He plays well but gets taken out by double team.
Most of all Offensive Line is light years ahead of 1st half LSU game. Maybe that game was the steep learning curve we needed.

LSU is a damn good team. Fournette will win the Heisman if he still has a pulse in December. That's our only loss and we've been only team to keep him under 200+. Long season, with many other overhyped teams in the SECWest. Teams who showed their true colors yesterday. Last weekends late night game was perceived to be amongst 2 great teams, one of which moved all the way up to 3. But yesterday's games revealed the each of them are maybe top 20 teams and highly overrated.

We win this next one and the west is ours to lose. We will beat Bama and the Beav, based on everyone's body of work thus far. See y'all in College Station.

PassInterference
09-27-2015, 01:36 PM
How about Logan Cooke? He was booming the punts last night. That was a big big plus.

RC3
09-27-2015, 01:39 PM
Poor tackling is still an issue.

aerodawg
09-27-2015, 01:52 PM
8. Coman played better last night. Redmond atoned for his mistimed jump by making a great read on the QB for his interception. He got a little banged up last night- need him full speed Saturday. Cleveland played a good bit last night and looked solid.

Looked to me like Redmond just got the wind knocked out of him when he jumped on the ball after someone dropped it. Should be good to go.

War Machine Dawg
09-27-2015, 01:55 PM
Yes they are best friends and roommates. Can you imagine how many girls run thru their place???

Yes, it certainly adds chemistry. Just like on that pop pass Dakota hit him with in the LSU game before Bear's TD- that was site adjustment and something those 2 only knew he was throwing it that quick. Walley made a helluva catch on that play also. I like Johnson a lot- but Walley gives us a great target in the middle of the field right now

Walley is definitely good and playing really well. For me, it's much more a complement of Johnson and his potential than a knock on Walley. But Walley being Dak's roommate & best friend is definitely a huge advantage for him. They've got crazy good chemistry. Maybe we could see some 2 TE sets?

drunkernhelldawg
09-27-2015, 08:51 PM
How about Logan Cooke? He was booming the punts last night. That was a big big plus.

Made a huge difference. We finally saw the kicking team we need last night.