PDA

View Full Version : What's your opinion?

EdDawg
09-27-2015, 10:32 AM
Why does Dan continue to play shumpert?

We know Dan is not dumb. He sees the same thing we do, but is he focused on something different? What is your opinion?

I have went over everything in my mind and cannot think of a LOGICAL explanation.

My personal belief is if we go with an air raid offense we need to see more of holloway so that he can slip through creases in the defense.

Also want to add that I am very excited with the win. We didn't play great, but a win in the road is a big plus.

I seen it dawg
09-27-2015, 10:51 AM
Shumpert has an important role in the offense. He is outstanding in pass pro and catching the ball. 2nd and long and third down is his spot and it's very valuable. Him running wide isn't it and I bet we start seeing less and less of it.

Bothrops
09-27-2015, 01:00 PM
Shumpert looks great catching the ball too.

Goldendawg
09-27-2015, 01:14 PM
I don't know why Dak hasn't run the ball very much for appreciable yards, but the read option game is dead with he and Shump together in the backfield. I don't think the defense respects Shump's ability to break a run, especially to the outside and this allows them to key on Dak only. Shump is great on pass blocking and receiving, but I would like to see Williams, Lee, or Dear get more chances in the read offense. Line is getting better and some of this may be on them. Always heard run blocking is harder than pass blocking. Have to trust the coaching staff on these decisions.

EdDawg
09-27-2015, 01:57 PM
I know shumpert is a great in pass pro, but I remember late in the game last night on several 3rd and longs we had holloway in which I thought was unusual.

Also I think shump has great hands for a back, but he cannot do anything with a swing pass or check down. He looked slower than usual last night on the two big check downs he got.

spiritual_machine2005
09-27-2015, 02:17 PM
At one point it looked to me like Shump was limp

dawgoneyall
09-27-2015, 02:19 PM
Pass blocking.

Rayburn8
09-27-2015, 02:24 PM
Here is what you can expect for the rest of the year. Against teams where we want to pass the ball Shump will see a lot of time because he is a great pass blocker. When we want to run it you will see Holloway come in. In the end we will do what works, that was passing last night. Holloway looks really good and is getting 3-5 yards in between the tackles and whenever he touches the ball we could score. I actually think Holloway should be our primary back.

MaxedOutMaroon
09-27-2015, 02:42 PM
Someone needs to teach Shump to hit the first hole and take the ball up the field. When he runs outside, he either trips or simply isn't fast enough. A gain of 1 is better than a loss of 3. His two biggest problems are clumsiness and vision. The latter should've been remedied in the offseason. I don't know how the coaches didn't fix it unless he just freezes in game situations. If he doesn't get that fixed, he needs to make a move to the h-back

Ralph
09-27-2015, 02:43 PM
Tenure with the program

Todd4State
09-27-2015, 03:04 PM
It all goes back to Dan's ego and arrogance.

He is afraid and hates to "be wrong"- so unless Scott or some booster can somehow convince him that starting Lee is Dan's idea we're going to be Air Raid.

He does not like to play freshmen if he can at all help it- and he will come up with excuses to justify not playing them- ie "not knowing the playbook", "needs to work on blocking", etc which I believe get leaked out even though it's obvious that it's not true or greatly exagerrated. And I've seen him take a cue from Sherrill and say that it's the position coach who decides who starts.

Dan is kind of in a rock and a hard place right now because I know based on his interview last night that he sees that we are having major issues running the ball. But he's going to have to do something he doesn't want to do to fix it. And he knows that. But I guarantee you he doesn't like it.

I think we see Holloway a lot against A&M and probably a pretty similar game plan as we had against Auburn. And then HOPEFULLY Lee and Williams get enough reps against Troy and La Tech where he starts to get comfortable with them.

Todd4State
09-27-2015, 03:05 PM
Someone needs to teach Shump to hit the first hole and take the ball up the field. When he runs outside, he either trips or simply isn't fast enough. A gain of 1 is better than a loss of 3. His two biggest problems are clumsiness and vision. The latter should've been remedied in the offseason. I don't know how the coaches didn't fix it unless he just freezes in game situations. If he doesn't get that fixed, he needs to make a move to the h-back

I don't know that you can teach vision. I think it's probably something either you have or you don't.

Sacrifice
09-27-2015, 03:08 PM
It's got to be his knowledge of the playbook and his receiving skills. I just rewatched the game and Shump only stayed in a couple of plays to pass block. The Majority of the plays last night he ran a pass pattern.

Todd4State
09-27-2015, 03:09 PM
Here is what you can expect for the rest of the year. Against teams where we want to pass the ball Shump will see a lot of time because he is a great pass blocker. When we want to run it you will see Holloway come in. In the end we will do what works, that was passing last night. Holloway looks really good and is getting 3-5 yards in between the tackles and whenever he touches the ball we could score. I actually think Holloway should be our primary back.

If we refuse to use Lee and Williams, then absolutely Holloway should start. Holloway has a better YPC than Jaylen Walton right now.

Todd4State
09-27-2015, 03:10 PM
It's got to be his knowledge of the playbook and his receiving skills. I just rewatched the game and Shump only stayed in a couple of plays to pass block. The Majority of the plays last night he ran a pass pattern.

Lee has caught the only pass thown to him this year and turned it into a six yard gain. His pass blocking has been fine as well when he has played in a game.

Dan is not infallible.

Sacrifice
09-27-2015, 03:21 PM
Lee has caught the only pass thown to him this year and turned it into a six yard gain. His pass blocking has been fine as well when he has played in a game.

Dan is not infallible.
I agree, i'm just saying it's not his pass blocking. He rarely stays in to pass block. I'm just gonna have to accept that this is the way it's gonna be. Shump is a basically a receiving back now and I don't see it changing anytime soon. I hope I'm wrong.

Jack Lambert
09-27-2015, 03:53 PM
If we refuse to use Lee and Williams, then absolutely Holloway should start. Holloway has a better YPC than Jaylen Walton right now.

I have my doubts about Holloway but he begining to grow with me. He has had some good runs lately.

Rayburn8
09-27-2015, 04:01 PM
We see the talent with Williams and Lee but we don't know what is going on behind the scenes. For Lee at least, what I have heard is that he isn't puttin in the time he needs to in the film room to earn reps. We complain about seeing guys but there are millions of off the field reasons we don't know about that could effect them coming on the field.

Todd4State
09-27-2015, 04:04 PM
We see the talent with Williams and Lee but we don't know what is going on behind the scenes. For Lee at least, what I have heard is that he isn't puttin in the time he needs to in the film room to earn reps. We complain about seeing guys but there are millions of off the field reasons we don't know about that could effect them coming on the field.

Well then Knox needs to find some GA or student on campus to force Lee's in the film room.

But again- that's stupid. Being in the film room obviously isn't helping Shumpert out.

Martianlander
09-27-2015, 05:46 PM
I don't know why Dak hasn't run the ball very much for appreciable yards, but the read option game is dead with he and Shump together in the backfield. I don't think the defense respects Shump's ability to break a run, especially to the outside and this allows them to key on Dak only. Shump is great on pass blocking and receiving, but I would like to see Williams, Lee, or Dear get more chances in the read offense. Line is getting better and some of this may be on them. Always heard run blocking is harder than pass blocking. Have to trust the coaching staff on these decisions.

Sums it up.

GTHOM
09-27-2015, 09:42 PM
Being a coach (a young learning one) there is no possible way Mullen can see Shumps performance running the ball and continue to give him the majority of the carries. I think he had 5 for 5 yards last night. Holloway needs to be the starter. He has progressed and deserves it.

Behrdawg
09-27-2015, 09:58 PM
Holloway is not an every down SEC back. No way in hell he should be our feature back. We need Lee and Williams and just have a running back by committee. That's our only answer for this year. Mullen is way too loyal to the upperclassmen. Championship programs play the guys who will help win the game- not the guys because we are "keeping our word".

Todd4State
09-27-2015, 10:01 PM
Holloway is not an every down SEC back. No way in hell he should be our feature back. We need Lee and Williams and just have a running back by committee. That's our only answer for this year. Mullen is way too loyal to the upperclassmen. Championship programs play the guys who will help win the game- not the guys because we are "keeping our word".

My ideal back would be someone like a JJ Johnson, a Gurley, or a Fournette- but if Holloway is the best we have, we need to get past the fact that is small. The fact of the matter is he is producing and gives us a better chance at having a running game than Shumpert at this point. Assuming that we continue to refuse to play the freshmen.

Behrdawg
09-27-2015, 10:14 PM
My ideal back would be someone like a JJ Johnson, a Gurley, or a Fournette- but if Holloway is the best we have, we need to get past the fact that is small. The fact of the matter is he is producing and gives us a better chance at having a running game than Shumpert at this point. Assuming that we continue to refuse to play the freshmen.

I think he produces at what touches he currently gets. We go to using him as our feature back and pounding the rock like everyone wants- he will be beat down in a rush. He not an every down SEC back. I'd rather see Lee and Williams get more of those touches.

Percho
09-27-2015, 10:19 PM
RUSHING GP Att Gain Loss Net Avg TD Long Avg/G
Brandon Holloway
4 18 134 0 134 7.4 0 35 33.5
Ashton Shumpert
4 32 142 14 128 4.0 1 20 32.0
Dak Prescott
4 30 161 40 121 4.0 2 49 30.2
Nick Fitzgerald
2 7 64 0 64 9.1 2 21 32.0
Dontavian Lee
4 6 63 0 63 10.5 0 24 15.8
Aeris Williams
4 9 39 6 33 3.7 1 17 8.2
Malik Dear
4 2 19 0 19 9.5 0 19 4.8
Gabe Myles
4 4 17 1 16 4.0 1 9 4.0

Dawg61
09-28-2015, 12:22 AM
Holloway is not an every down SEC back. No way in hell he should be our feature back.

Holloway is averaging 7.4 yards per carry and he's our leading rusher despite having less carries than both Dak and Shump. He's small. Yup. But what's it take for yall to see he's our most effective RB? He's a TD waiting to happen. He's our breakout player on offense this year.

thf24
09-28-2015, 06:40 AM
Holloway is averaging 7.4 yards per carry and he's our leading rusher despite having less carries than both Dak and Shump. He's small. Yup. But what's it take for yall to see he's our most effective RB? He's a TD waiting to happen. He's our breakout player on offense this year.

Agreed. I've been critical of Holloway prior to this season, but he's getting the job done when he's given the chance. He's really improved, displaying a lot more vision and elusiveness. He's actually done ok in pass protection as well, which is amazing when you think about it. I admittedly still fear him losing the ball when he runs between the tackles, but that's unjustified at this point as well since I don't think he's ever fumbled. I think I'd be comfortable with him getting 8-10 carries per game if Dan does decide to move back towards running the ball more at some point.

Behrdawg
09-28-2015, 07:23 AM
Put the rock in his hands and let him carry 25 times in one SEC game and then come back to me. I'll gladly eat crow- but I don't see him coming away without being bruised up. Oh yea- throw some blocks in there that he needs to make for Adam, too. He will become inefficient, IMO.

Coach34
09-28-2015, 07:31 AM
. For Lee at least, what I have heard is that he isn't puttin in the time he needs to in the film room to earn reps. We complain about seeing guys but there are millions of off the field reasons we don't know about that could effect them coming on the field.

I find this hard to believe considering an Elitedawg saw Lee and Williams practicing on things this summer most Sunday afternoons

Ifyouonlyknew
09-28-2015, 07:49 AM
Dontavian just has to grow up & mature. It's not just having the coaches believe in him his teammates have to trust him as well. I've said it before I think Aeris is the guy who needs more touches.

AROB44
09-28-2015, 09:52 AM
Dontavian just has to grow up & mature. It's not just having the coaches believe in him his teammates have to trust him as well. I've said it before I think Aeris is the guy who needs more touches.

Dan has spoken !!! I will accept his judgment on this.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-28-2015, 11:48 AM
Why does Dan continue to play shumpert?

We know Dan is not dumb. He sees the same thing we do, but is he focused on something different? What is your opinion?

I have went over everything in my mind and cannot think of a LOGICAL explanation.

My personal belief is if we go with an air raid offense we need to see more of holloway so that he can slip through creases in the defense.

Also want to add that I am very excited with the win. We didn't play great, but a win in the road is a big plus.

Dawg61
09-28-2015, 12:09 PM
Put the rock in his hands and let him carry 25 times in one SEC game and then come back to me. I'll gladly eat crow- but I don't see him coming away without being bruised up. Oh yea- throw some blocks in there that he needs to make for Adam, too. He will become inefficient, IMO.

Nobody is saying run Holloway that much.

DancingRabbit
09-28-2015, 12:26 PM
Being a coach (a young learning one) there is no possible way Mullen can see Shumps performance running the ball and continue to give him the majority of the carries. I think he had 5 for 5 yards last night. Holloway needs to be the starter. He has progressed and deserves it.

Well, Holloway did get the same number of carries that Shump got.

Dan and/or Knox have their reasons, but like most of us, I hope we see more of Holloway and Lee (eta - or Dear or A-train).

The pass blocking has been good, but eventually we're going to need some ways to check the rush. Get the run game going or get our screen game tuned up.

FISHDAWG
09-28-2015, 12:34 PM

could they do any worse than what we have now ??? What we have now isn't working and I don't see it ever working ... a blind man could see it. Just how long do you keep doing something you KNOW won't work ?

Mjoelner34
09-28-2015, 12:39 PM
Just how long do you keep doing something you KNOW won't work ?

Sly and Woody say "5 years".

Really Clark?
09-28-2015, 12:45 PM
could they do any worse than what we have now ??? What we have now isn't working and I don't see it ever working ... a blind man could see it. Just how long do you keep doing something you KNOW won't work ?

To be fair, the post you tagged didn't say anything like that. He is alluding to them not earning more reps. Not what they can or can't do on the field.

FISHDAWG
09-28-2015, 12:58 PM
To be fair, the post you tagged didn't say anything like that. He is alluding to them not earning more reps. Not what they can or can't do on the field.

yeah I got his point and I know what he's saying... my point was - the current starter has done nothing to protect his job so how much worse off would we be in trying some one else. If they don't know the full playbook then teach them a dozen plays or so - that way we at least don't have to always pass on 3rd down attempts .... a RB putting in time in the film room is not essential (maybe for every other position but not that critical at RB) , moving the line of scrimmage is ... converting on 3rd down & short is, anything to keep the defense guessing is ...... if aTm looks at our past films do you think they are planning on 8 in the box against us ?

Really Clark?
09-28-2015, 01:08 PM
yeah I got his point and I know what he's saying... my point was - the current starter has done nothing to protect his job so how much worse off would we be in trying some one else. If they don't know the full playbook then teach them a dozen plays or so - that way we at least don't have to always pass on 3rd down attempts .... a RB putting in time in the film room is not essential (maybe for every other position but not that critical at RB) , moving the line of scrimmage is ... converting on 3rd down & short is, anything to keep the defense guessing is ...... if aTm looks at our past films do you think they are planning on 8 in the box against us ?

I get you. We don't know what the issues are with them though. It's probably a combination of stuff. I think he is saying if for team chemistry it's best they don't touch the field then they should not even get packages that they can run. You are still going down the road of they still need to be on the field regardless. Maybe they do maybe they don't. We don't know and that's is what I was taking from the post. Chemistry and discipline over playing time. There is a lot of smoke that a good bit of Auburn problems stems from bad chemistry and Williams. Not saying they are anything like that but it is definitely something that has to be weighed against what playing time someone gets.

maroonmania
09-28-2015, 01:33 PM

Dan is not infallible.

Plus Lee had by far the most production/run against NW State. I don't really understand Mullen's stubborness on this issue. These guys are RS FRESHMAN not TRUE FRESHMAN. They didn't just join the team in August. You have true freshman RBs all over the place that get significant playing time at the RB position and we can't even get ours a HANDFUL of carries in a meaningful game? It's nonsensicle given the horrid running game we've displayed so far and inexcusable on Mullen's part. If we can't get a RS FRESHMAN ready to the point of getting 8-10 carries in a conference game when needed then our coaching staff sucks. This ain't rocket science, its freakin' football.

BB30
09-28-2015, 02:08 PM
It all goes back to Dan's ego and arrogance.

He is afraid and hates to "be wrong"- so unless Scott or some booster can somehow convince him that starting Lee is Dan's idea we're going to be Air Raid.

He does not like to play freshmen if he can at all help it- and he will come up with excuses to justify not playing them- ie "not knowing the playbook", "needs to work on blocking", etc which I believe get leaked out even though it's obvious that it's not true or greatly exagerrated. And I've seen him take a cue from Sherrill and say that it's the position coach who decides who starts.

Dan is kind of in a rock and a hard place right now because I know based on his interview last night that he sees that we are having major issues running the ball. But he's going to have to do something he doesn't want to do to fix it. And he knows that. But I guarantee you he doesn't like it.

I think we see Holloway a lot against A&M and probably a pretty similar game plan as we had against Auburn. And then HOPEFULLY Lee and Williams get enough reps against Troy and La Tech where he starts to get comfortable with them.

No way Dan would risk losing a game due to his ego and arrogance. I agree Shump is not the answer for an every down back but he does bring some positive things to the table. I also think you are right in the fact that we will see the young guys more against Troy and La Tech. I think they will make more of an impact as the season goes on.

Political Hack
09-28-2015, 02:13 PM
He can do everything but he just doesn't have the vision we're used to seeing with JRob.

maroonmania
09-28-2015, 03:46 PM
He can do everything but he just doesn't have the vision we're used to seeing with JRob.

And its not JUST vision though that is a big part of it. Its also balance, cutting ability and being able to make people miss.

Todd4State
09-28-2015, 04:35 PM
No way Dan would risk losing a game due to his ego and arrogance. I agree Shump is not the answer for an every down back but he does bring some positive things to the table. I also think you are right in the fact that we will see the young guys more against Troy and La Tech. I think they will make more of an impact as the season goes on.

LSU 2009