PDA

View Full Version : My takes on yesterday

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 10:00 AM
A win is a win, and I always love an SEC road win. I'll hit on both positives and negatives, but the bottom line is, we are a win over A&M from being right back in the West race.

Let's get to it....

I have no idea how we held AU to 9 points when they literally did everything they wanted to do offensively between the 10's.....but again, I'll take it.

Shumpert, I was your biggest fan preseason.....but it's time to limit you to occasional pass blocking duties. That 3rd down pass where he caught the ball and just had to get 2 yards beyond a small DB, and couldn't do it? Come on, mane...you can't be a starting RB in the SEC and get stood up & driven backwards in the open field by a little defensive back. It's over Dan....please, for the love of God, make the change and make it permanent. Shumpert seems like a great dude, a hard worker, and a total team player and locker room guy......but he wears concrete shoes, and that's a problem.

Malik Dear looked great on his 2 touches! Maybe we'll see him again in a few weeks.*

Donald Gray goes from 150 yds and 2 TD's, to no touches at all....why am I not surprised. When we're lighting the scoreboard up to the tune of 17 points, why would we need to get playmakers like Gray and Dear more touches?*

What the hell has happened to Dak on the ground? He has been castrated by Mullen, and even when he does run, he looks timid and lost. He was one of the biggest weapons in football a year ago on the ground, and we have totally abandoned him. And don't tell me it's on the OL....the OL is making plenty of seams for Holloway, and they're doing a hell of a job pass blocking, and we have one of the best offensive minds in the game as a head coach.....so he could design some plays to get Dak in space if he wanted to. This is a concerted effort to make him a passer, and it's going to cost us....already has. I'm not saying we can't win some games without Dak running, but our offense will continue to be limited, and we will not reach our potential without a good zone read game and a running QB that Actually runs. Do you guys realize we just played one of the worst run defenses in the country, that got lit up on the zone read by Jacksonville State, and we may have run that play twice last night? How can that happen? It's not like we were lighting the scoreboard up. I'm not advocating for a huge ground game, bc our OL isnt capable of that....at the same time, you cannot abandon your best weapon and expect to succeed long term. This is Tyler Russell offense with better receivers....can it last? I'm skeptical.

We had some young guys get in the game and make a big impact. That was exciting. JT Gray ain't scared. He will pop you, and he will wrap up. Gerri Green is a man. Brandon Bryant is a player, and is fast. Dez Harris made some good plays last night.
Dear is one of the most deceptively fast guys I've seen. Gabe Myles, you are a fan favorite, enjoy it bud.

I know we held them to 9, but our defense was hot garbage between the 10's last night. We don't have the DL depth to allow teams to march it up and down the field all night, hoping we will stop them and hold them to a FG. That is not a long term recipe for success. Especially if your offense can't move the ball more consistently and provide some breathers for the defense. That being said, I'm glad it worked last night.

Another criticism of the defense....tackling. We are an embarrassment of a tackling team, but I finally saw Richie and others doing a better job late, which is strange....typically you tackle worse when you're tired. Anyway, this is a Manny problem. The reason I know it's a Manny problem, is because Kivon Coman has been running up and just slamming his shoulder into people without wrapping up ALL SEASON, and he was STILL doing it last night the entire game. Not only is it sissy ball, but it will cost us TD's when these guys don't fall down. There is no possible way that if Manny is doing his job during film sessions, he doesn't get that corrected. 4 games, the same thing from Coman (just one example) in all 4, yet no fix. How do you watch film and not point that out and get it corrected? That tells me we aren't working on tackling like we should...not that anybody thought we were based on performance. Our bend but don't break would be much more successful if the first guy made the tackle.

A few more positives....

Dan's playcalling early was a thing of beauty. Got to get the offense on the field more so we can put points up...that's the bad part of bend dont break on D. I love the check downs to RB's when nothing is open downfield....and other than a few drops, our WR's looked great lastnight. Fred Brown, great catch. DeRunnya, great catches. Ross, Mr. Reliable. I love our passing game right now. We need Dak to scramble a bit, to keep defenses honest....but we look good through the air right now.

And even though we sucked between the 10's, I have to give major kudos to the D for stepping up when it mattered most. It's not a recipe for long term success, but it sure as hell worked last night, and I tip my cap. Keep working hard guys, we're close to being a contender this year.

Looking forward...

A&M will bring pressure like we havent seen this year. Dak better be ready to make them pay with his legs. If those DE's are going to shoot up field, he needs to step under and take off and make them pay. I think we can actually win the game with Dak making them pay on scrambles next week. Because he doesn't always have to run, but getting outside of their contain, and then hitting guys like Ross, Wilson, Gray downfield on broken plays, could lead to some really big plays and a lot of points. If Dak stands like a statue in the pocket next week, we will get absolutely destroyed.

With the right offensive gameplan, that allows our defense some rest....I think we can win that game, but we have to change some things up. This will define the season.

Let's Get It! Hail Damn State! Great Win!

I seen it dawg
09-27-2015, 10:11 AM
I think Dak is hurt...and if so these games where he isn't doing much with his legs is allowing him to get healthy. We have to win Saturday then we can breathe a little until Bama rolls into town.

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 10:14 AM
I think Dak is hurt...and if so these games where he isn't doing much with his legs is allowing him to get healthy. We have to win Saturday then we can breathe a little until Bama rolls into town.

I am starting to think so too. I'm with you

Behrdawg
09-27-2015, 10:15 AM

Diddo

Tbonewannabe
09-27-2015, 11:15 AM
A win is a win, and I always love an SEC road win. I'll hit on both positives and negatives, but the bottom line is, we are a win over A&M from being right back in the West race.

Let's get to it....

I have no idea how we held AU to 9 points when they literally did everything they wanted to do offensively between the 10's.....but again, I'll take it.

Shumpert, I was your biggest fan preseason.....but it's time to limit you to occasional pass blocking duties. That 3rd down pass where he caught the ball and just had to get 2 yards beyond a small DB, and couldn't do it? Come on, mane...you can't be a starting RB in the SEC and get stood up & driven backwards in the open field by a little defensive back. It's over Dan....please, for the love of God, make the change and make it permanent. Shumpert seems like a great dude, a hard worker, and a total team player and locker room guy......but he wears concrete shoes, and that's a problem.

Malik Dear looked great on his 2 touches! Maybe we'll see him again in a few weeks.*

Donald Gray goes from 150 yds and 2 TD's, to no touches at all....why am I not surprised. When we're lighting the scoreboard up to the tune of 17 points, why would we need to get playmakers like Gray and Dear more touches?*

What the hell has happened to Dak on the ground? He has been castrated by Mullen, and even when he does run, he looks timid and lost. He was one of the biggest weapons in football a year ago on the ground, and we have totally abandoned him. And don't tell me it's on the OL....the OL is making plenty of seams for Holloway, and they're doing a hell of a job pass blocking, and we have one of the best offensive minds in the game as a head coach.....so he could design some plays to get Dak in space if he wanted to. This is a concerted effort to make him a passer, and it's going to cost us....already has. I'm not saying we can't win some games without Dak running, but our offense will continue to be limited, and we will not reach our potential without a good zone read game and a running QB that Actually runs. Do you guys realize we just played one of the worst run defenses in the country, that got lit up on the zone read by Jacksonville State, and we may have run that play twice last night? How can that happen? It's not like we were lighting the scoreboard up. I'm not advocating for a huge ground game, bc our OL isnt capable of that....at the same time, you cannot abandon your best weapon and expect to succeed long term. This is Tyler Russell offense with better receivers....can it last? I'm skeptical.

We had some young guys get in the game and make a big impact. That was exciting. JT Gray ain't scared. He will pop you, and he will wrap up. Gerri Green is a man. Brandon Bryant is a player, and is fast. Dez Harris made some good plays last night.
Dear is one of the most deceptively fast guys I've seen. Gabe Myles, you are a fan favorite, enjoy it bud.

I know we held them to 9, but our defense was hot garbage between the 10's last night. We don't have the DL depth to allow teams to march it up and down the field all night, hoping we will stop them and hold them to a FG. That is not a long term recipe for success. Especially if your offense can't move the ball more consistently and provide some breathers for the defense. That being said, I'm glad it worked last night.

Another criticism of the defense....tackling. We are an embarrassment of a tackling team, but I finally saw Richie and others doing a better job late, which is strange....typically you tackle worse when you're tired. Anyway, this is a Manny problem. The reason I know it's a Manny problem, is because Kivon Coman has been running up and just slamming his shoulder into people without wrapping up ALL SEASON, and he was STILL doing it last night the entire game. Not only is it sissy ball, but it will cost us TD's when these guys don't fall down. There is no possible way that if Manny is doing his job during film sessions, he doesn't get that corrected. 4 games, the same thing from Coman (just one example) in all 4, yet no fix. How do you watch film and not point that out and get it corrected? That tells me we aren't working on tackling like we should...not that anybody thought we were based on performance. Our bend but don't break would be much more successful if the first guy made the tackle.

A few more positives....

Dan's playcalling early was a thing of beauty. Got to get the offense on the field more so we can put points up...that's the bad part of bend dont break on D. I love the check downs to RB's when nothing is open downfield....and other than a few drops, our WR's looked great lastnight. Fred Brown, great catch. DeRunnya, great catches. Ross, Mr. Reliable. I love our passing game right now. We need Dak to scramble a bit, to keep defenses honest....but we look good through the air right now.

And even though we sucked between the 10's, I have to give major kudos to the D for stepping up when it mattered most. It's not a recipe for long term success, but it sure as hell worked last night, and I tip my cap. Keep working hard guys, we're close to being a contender this year.

Looking forward...

A&M will bring pressure like we havent seen this year. Dak better be ready to make them pay with his legs. If those DE's are going to shoot up field, he needs to step under and take off and make them pay. I think we can actually win the game with Dak making them pay on scrambles next week. Because he doesn't always have to run, but getting outside of their contain, and then hitting guys like Ross, Wilson, Gray downfield on broken plays, could lead to some really big plays and a lot of points. If Dak stands like a statue in the pocket next week, we will get absolutely destroyed.

With the right offensive gameplan, that allows our defense some rest....I think we can win that game, but we have to change some things up. This will define the season.

Let's Get It! Hail Damn State! Great Win!

Shumpert isn't quick or fast so he should be a power back to be successful. The problem is he runs high so everyone has a low pad level on him. That is why he hits hard but doesn't drive them forward. This was a perfect example of that. He has a full head of steam and hits the DB but just gets stood up instead of getting 2 yards for the first down. His power doesn't benefit the run game at all. It is like having a QB that can throw it 100 yards but can't get the ball within 10 yards of the WR.

Shump could have a NFL career if he was moved to FB. He blocks really well and has good hands. I would rather give Holloway 15 carries a game than just keep feeding Shump.

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 11:45 AM
Shumpert isn't quick or fast so he should be a power back to be successful. The problem is he runs high so everyone has a low pad level on him. That is why he hits hard but doesn't drive them forward. This was a perfect example of that. He has a full head of steam and hits the DB but just gets stood up instead of getting 2 yards for the first down. His power doesn't benefit the run game at all. It is like having a QB that can throw it 100 yards but can't get the ball within 10 yards of the WR.

Shump could have a NFL career if he was moved to FB. He blocks really well and has good hands. I would rather give Holloway 15 carries a game than just keep feeding Shump.

Totally agree

Lloyd Christmas
09-27-2015, 12:08 PM

I've seen this rumor a lot more now..sports hernia possibly? Can anyone confirm?

Bullmutt
09-27-2015, 01:15 PM

Our failure to utilize Dak in the same way we did last year is something I've wondered about since the LSU game, and this seems to be the only logical answer. I don't buy the notion that Mullen is trying to help his draft potential, etc. Whether it be a hernia or some other injury that is not currently bad enough to keep him out but could become bad enough to do so if he took a few hard hits to the involved area of his body, I just don't see any other logical explanation. What other reason could there be for a good head coach to consciously decide to give up his greatest offensive weapon? I suppose it could be possible that he is trying to let the OL develop a little more or that, realizing our last four games are our most brutal, is trying to keep Dak healthy so that he can be at his best for those games, but a coach would have to have beaucoup balls to trust that he could get through the first half of the schedule without using his best weapon.

Intramural All-American
09-27-2015, 01:30 PM
I've seen this rumor a lot more now..sports hernia possibly? Can anyone confirm?

It's a rumor, and it's not true. Dak had surgery for a sports hernia in January, but he's not hurt currently.

DownwardDawg
09-27-2015, 01:48 PM
It's a rumor, and it's not true. Dak had surgery for a sports hernia in January, but he's not hurt currently.

He certainly runs like it. There is a huge difference in his running last year vs this year. Even the one long run against USM he looked really slow compared to last year. Something is wrong.