PDA

View Full Version : Running Game thoughts

BHildreth3
09-27-2015, 09:59 AM
Okay, so of course we all wish we had coffee with Mullen this morning and he would tell us WHY we aren't running the zone read AND our normal counters, etc with Lee and Williams....

If this has been discussed in previous threads last night, i apologize, i haven't been around the boards..but maybe Dan is just taking this offense one game at a time. As people have pointed out, we have the best WR core we've had ever, and the best passing QB as well = throw the short stuff for quick yards and set up the middle to long passes. Okay that makes sense. But i keep saying every play that we should be running the football with our young backs. It's frustrating.

Do you guys think that Dan is just trying to not show stuff on film? Is the plan to just bring these RBs along early against crap competition? We're going to have to run these guys! Do the coaches just know that we we suck at run blocking this year and we're just better pass blocker? @#$#$#

I can't figure it out, but hey, a win on the road is great and I will take it any way we can get it.

engie
09-27-2015, 10:15 AM
We played the vanilla card in 2012 till it bit us in the ass. Hence why I'm scared of playing it now. I certainly hope it proves true. Seemed to in the first couple of drives last night before we abandoned the whole offense we were running. ATm will tell us a lot.

Dawgfan77
09-27-2015, 10:21 AM
The issue is very simple both Williams and lee are more talented than Shump but neither are great pass blockers. Dan is playing to our strength right now. The last thing you want is one of those to miss a block or chip block and get someone hurt or cause a TO. We are trying to develop them but at some point you can't blame the staff and have to start looking at the players to get better at blocking

dawgs
09-27-2015, 10:26 AM
The issue is very simple both Williams and lee are more talented than Shump but neither are great pass blockers. Dan is playing to our strength right now. The last thing you want is one of those to miss a block or chip block and get someone hurt or cause a TO. We are trying to develop them but at some point you can't blame the staff and have to start looking at the players to get better at blocking

On the other hand, the last thing I want is to watch shump turn what should be a 10+ yard gain into a 3 yard gain because he lacks explosion and vision. Missing out on potential big runs can be just as detrimental as missing a block.

msstate7
09-27-2015, 10:27 AM

I agree. We aren't beating sec teams pounding away with lee and Williams. We can beat sec teams with Dak and our wr's though

Coach007
09-27-2015, 10:27 AM
No doubt about it, we are not running the plays nor making the attempts. I posted in a thread we are next to last in rushing attempts. We are putting up an average of 100 yards per game... That's with the chump game. Last year we averaged 231 per game.

Now here's the wash..... Remove the chump game and we are last in attempts andmour offense over all is in the 90s. We would be down almost 200 yards per game.

So we are not making up those yards with the air raid. We are simply one dimensional and it will catch up with us.

Dawgfan77
09-27-2015, 10:30 AM
On the other hand, the last thing I want is to watch shump turn what should be a 10+ yard gain into a 3 yard gain because he lacks explosion and vision. Missing out on potential big runs can be just as detrimental as missing a block.
Your missing the point. It's not about missing a run it's about missing a block that could lead to a TO over or an injury. They will get snaps but in a big game you don't run the risk of gettin a player hurt or that player causing a TO. Am I happy with Shump?? Hell no but I'm fine with dak throwing. My biggest complaint is that dak ain't running

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 10:42 AM
No doubt about it, we are not running the plays nor making the attempts. I posted in a thread we are next to last in rushing attempts. We are putting up an average of 100 yards per game... That's with the chump game. Last year we averaged 231 per game.

Now here's the wash..... Remove the chump game and we are last in attempts andmour offense over all is in the 90s. We would be down almost 200 yards per game.

So we are not making up those yards with the air raid. We are simply one dimensional and it will catch up with us.

Yep. And it also keeps our D on the field way more than normal. With no DL depth, that ain't good.

msstate7
09-27-2015, 10:46 AM
Yep. And it also keeps our D on the field way more than normal. With no DL depth, that ain't good.

Our depth or maybe just conditoning may be better than we thought. We played our best defense in the 4th quarter.

ShotgunDawg
09-27-2015, 10:48 AM
Yeah,

I love that we are winning, but I don't love who we are right now. I don't believe this formula is sustainable for success long term.

That being the case, we've got the talent to be successful long term & just need to get through next weekend at A&M, before have time to correct & build somethings.

This team should be much better in November than it is now.