PDA

View Full Version : Here is how I hope it plays out

Todd4State
09-27-2015, 01:47 AM
We have Texas A&M on the road next week and I think Dan is going to do pretty much what he did this week- throw it a ton and try to rely on the defense while pretty much throwing the running game out the window. Not sure if it will work or not- and it probably depends on our defense as much as anything.

Then we have Troy, a good La Tech team at home, and then an improved UK team at home. That is a good time for us to get our running backs more and more involved and against progressively better and better competition those three weeks. It's also a good time to work in Gray and Myles more as well. It will give our o-line more and more time to gel- and we might see some more of Jenkins at LT during this time as well as some of the younger guys on defense get more reps such as Gray, Green and then Peters and Bryant.

Then we have a tough but winnable road game at Mizzou, and then everything culminates with Alabama at home.

Follow that up with a struggling Arkansas team on the road and then the Egg Bowl.

If things work out like I would like, we will hopefully peak at the end of the season- which is what everyone wants to do.

In hindsight- we beat a much improved USM team on the road. I think they win at least eight. And we lost to a great LSU team in the final seconds in a game we should have won. NWS is a I-AA team and then we beat a struggling Auburn team on the road. The most points our defense has allowed in that time has been 21 points to LSU- and we held Fournette to his lowest output of the season thus far. We've also allowed two 50+ yard field goals this year as well which is anomaly.

Our special teams has been very good overall this year as well. The only mistake I can recall tonight was we lined up incorrectly on a punt and got a penalty for it- but otherwise we were pretty clean.

And the offense has been OK- really the only thing I can complain about right now is the lack of a running game. Maybe the o-line, but they seem to be improving.

So hopefully this all works out in the end.

Dawg61
09-27-2015, 01:55 AM
Stars are aligning. Bad Bama for the first time since Croom days and a suddenly very pedestrian Ole Miss means we could possibly run the table. We need LSU to lose two and that's definitely possible with their one very talented trick pony. LSU is not good. They are Fournette and nothing else. Syracuse and their FIFTH string QB gave LSU a pretty good scare today.

Todd4State
09-27-2015, 02:16 AM
LSU reminds me of what (or at least what I would imagine) Georgia was like when they had Herschel Walker in 1980. I could see him carrying them to an undefeated season. I can definitely see Les Miles rearing his ugly head as he gains confidence in his QB as well though.

Bothrops
09-27-2015, 02:17 AM
I expect our defense will get embarrassed next week with the speed and quickness of A&M. Not to mention the passing ability of a legit qb. We will have to use our full arsenal on offense to have the slightest chance. Running the ball more and being balanced on offense, using Lee, Dear and Williams.

Dawg61
09-27-2015, 02:25 AM
We will have to use our full arsenal on offense to have the slightest chance.

What the ****?! Arkansas just took aTm to OT. Arkansas lost to TOLEDO and Texas Tech. aTm beat ASU by 7. USC just beat ASU 42-14. USC lost to Stanford. Stanford lost to Northwestern. All of that = your comment is dumb as ****

Clanga
09-27-2015, 02:29 AM
I said 9-3 as our floor. I thought we would beat LSU and lose to Auburn. Just flip em and we are right on track. However AK Mizzoo and aTm are beatable, we just have to make it outta college station alive, that might be tough, but if we can get some production from the run game I think we get the W, Dan had been experimenting it seems, Dear played more than he ever has maybe Shumps 5 for 5 will make him see the light....but hey if air raid wins us all our games then fine but I just don't think it will

Bothrops
09-27-2015, 02:39 AM
What the ****?! Arkansas just took aTm to OT. Arkansas lost to TOLEDO and Texas Tech. aTm beat ASU by 7. USC just beat ASU 42-14. USC lost to Stanford. Stanford lost to Northwestern. All of that = your comment is dumb as ****

With the way we played defense tonight, A&M would have scored a bucket load of touchdowns. Winning at Auburn is great, don't get me wrong, but that is one messed up football team.

Dawgface
09-27-2015, 06:57 AM
With the way we played defense tonight, A&M would have scored a bucket load of touchdowns. Winning at Auburn is great, don't get me wrong, but that is one messed up football team.

Agree. Our D will have to be a lot better next week. Giving up just 9 points to a conference opponent is great an all, but AU may end up being near the bottom of the league this year.

engie
09-27-2015, 07:06 AM
Which defense are you referring to? We put two wholly different ones on the field tonight IMO.

dawgoneyall
09-27-2015, 07:12 AM
Its not totally the OL's fault.

bulldawg28
09-27-2015, 08:15 AM
Which defense are you referring to? We put two wholly different ones on the field tonight IMO.

This. ..Our defense was ALL SEC tonight. Anyone we play against will struggle against us if we continue building off of it. It was encouraging. The 1st time EVER Gus has never scored a TD as coordinator or head coach was tonight. I'm pumped about our team again.

mic
09-27-2015, 08:21 AM

16.. 21...13...9

That's what we have given up this year.
For you to say TXAM would have scored a bucket load of TD is the stupidest shit ever..
They very well may but up some points next weekend.. But this defense has played better than anyone in the league so far..

I wonder when the last time a Auburn team didn't score a TD at home... I know it's the first time a Gus Bus team hasn't scored an offensive TD..

IMissJack
09-27-2015, 08:30 AM

A&M scored 21 pts. and missed 2 field goals with a time of possession of less than 20 minutes (I think) in regulation. Arkansas still has one of the best running games in the SEC, and A&M did most anything they wanted passing the ball. A&M still can't stop a good running team, which we are not. Arkansas' ability to have the run threat slowed down A&M's great DE's and allowed them to play action pass to TE's primarily. Unless we find a running game, and can control some clock, it will get ugly, and I hope I am wrong.

BrunswickDawg
09-27-2015, 08:33 AM
LSU reminds me of what (or at least what I would imagine) Georgia was like when they had Herschel Walker in 1980. I could see him carrying them to an undefeated season. I can definitely see Les Miles rearing his ugly head as he gains confidence in his QB as well though.
It's very similar to those UGA teams. Belue was bad in 80, and eh in 81. John Lasstinger in 82 was atrocious with 907 yards (81 avg/g), 8 TDs and 9 INTs.

Saltydog
09-27-2015, 08:40 AM
it moving forward?

Dawg61
09-27-2015, 08:51 AM
I wonder when the last time a Auburn team didn't score a TD at home... I know it's the first time a Gus Bus team hasn't scored an offensive TD..

I think it's Georgia 2012 that shut them out at home.

Saltydog
09-27-2015, 08:54 AM
some semblance of a running game going, this could get ugly.

DownwardDawg
09-27-2015, 09:03 AM

In his defense, Arkansas did what they are supposed to do. They ran the ball consistently and ate up the clock. This limited aTm on offense. aTm averaged 9 yards per play for the limited time they had the ball. We cannot run the ball, so aTm will probably get a lot more chances against us on offense than they did against arkansas.

I'm not saying they are going to beat us. I'm just saying the matchups are nowhere near the same.

gravedigger
09-27-2015, 09:24 AM

difference in this years LSu and Georgia 1980. Georgia had Lindsay Scott, Buck Balue and a damn good defense.

LSU does not have a difference maker at wr like scott, a perfect system qb like Buck, and their defense is quite suspect as shown by the Syracuse game.

I get your point, but he will not carry them to an undefeated season.

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 09:25 AM
My question....We can create seams for Brandon Holloway, but we can't find any possible way to create seams or running lanes for the best weapon in the country last year? (Dak's legs)

The fact that we have completely abandoned Dak's legs, when they are the primary reason we won 10 games last year, is sickening to me. It would be like benching a healthy DeRunnya Wilson every time we crossed the opponent's 40 yd line. It makes no sense. And we all know good and well that Dan is brilliant enough of an offensive mind, that he could create successful run plays for Dak if he wanted to. We aren't even trying. Yet Shumpert touches the ball 8-10 times per game and he wears concrete shoes.

Behrdawg
09-27-2015, 09:31 AM
I expect our defense will get embarrassed next week with the speed and quickness of A&M. Not to mention the passing ability of a legit qb. We will have to use our full arsenal on offense to have the slightest chance. Running the ball more and being balanced on offense, using Lee, Dear and Williams.

WTH? Are you stoopid? STFU

BrunswickDawg
09-27-2015, 09:33 AM
difference in this years LSu and Georgia 1980. Georgia had Lindsay Scott, Buck Balue and a damn good defense.

LSU does not have a difference maker at wr like scott, a perfect system qb like Buck, and their defense is quite suspect as shown by the Syracuse game.

I get your point, but he will not carry them to an undefeated season.
Have you looked at Belue's stats? He completed 49% of his passes in '80 for 1300 yards, 11 TD and 9 INTs. Don't get me wrong, I was raised an UGA fan, but Belue and Brandon Harris aren't that far apart. Belue is remembered for 1 play.

gravedigger
09-27-2015, 09:33 AM
My question....We can create seams for Brandon Holloway, but we can't find any possible way to create seams or running lanes for the best weapon in the country last year? (Dak's legs)

The fact that we have completely abandoned Dak's legs, when they are the primary reason we won 10 games last year, is sickening to me. It would be like benching a healthy DeRunnya Wilson every time we crossed the opponent's 40 yd line. It makes no sense. And we all know good and well that Dan is brilliant enough of an offensive mind, that he could create successful run plays for Dak if he wanted to. We aren't even trying. Yet Shumpert touches the ball 8-10 times per game and he wears concrete shoes.

We havnt chosen to. Oppsing teams have decided since according to the media that dak is our inly weapon, to stop him

And insomuch as we are willing to run him like last year when they stack the box, they are right. He will make big plays with his legs ONLY after opposing teams see we are willing to torch through the air. When the passing lanes get shut down, you will get your wish.

Bucky Dog
09-27-2015, 09:50 AM
We will have to have an effective running game against aTm to win next week. We need to control the clock and limit the number of plays. I could see us rushing for 150 and throwing for 250-300 and getting the win. With that said, I heard Ark limited them to less than 50 plays but they still had 500 yards of offense.

chef dixon
09-27-2015, 10:15 AM
Holloway is going to have a great deal of success against a pretty finesse defense aside from the pass rush. Mark it down.

CadaverDawg
09-27-2015, 10:31 AM
We havnt chosen to. Oppsing teams have decided since according to the media that dak is our inly weapon, to stop him

And insomuch as we are willing to run him like last year when they stack the box, they are right. He will make big plays with his legs ONLY after opposing teams see we are willing to torch through the air. When the passing lanes get shut down, you will get your wish.

I disagree. If we can run Holloway, we can run Dak with proper play design. Everyone knew it was coming last year too

Bothrops
09-27-2015, 01:08 PM
WTH? Are you stoopid? STFU

I must be stoopid

SheltonChoked
09-27-2015, 01:18 PM
Yep. And look at the end of the year last year. Everyone keys on dak running the ball. And has since the Alabama game showed its effective. Holloway is not dak, and has that as an advantage. That Shump runs waiting on a hole negates the dak attention too.

Dallas_Dawg
09-27-2015, 02:48 PM
I've been as hard on Holloway as anyone but yeah, he's our best back that gets carries. Which means better than Shump. Don't know how he will do against Bama and Ole Miss but I like him to have a big game next weekend.
If you remember, he had a big game against aTm last year, so I expect more of the same.

Jack Lambert
09-27-2015, 03:50 PM
We have a better offense and defense than arkansas.

Percho
09-27-2015, 04:11 PM

Your best post,----ever. Good post.

mic
09-28-2015, 01:20 PM

Dak is hurt.. I don't care if our staff says he isn't or whatever.. Something is hurt enough that enables him to take hits running or he just isn't able to run..
The 4th quarter at Aub proved this..

Dawgtini
09-28-2015, 03:08 PM
We have Texas A&M on the road next week and I think Dan is going to do pretty much what he did this week- throw it a ton and try to rely on the defense while pretty much throwing the running game out the window. Not sure if it will work or not- and it probably depends on our defense as much as anything.

Then we have Troy, a good La Tech team at home, and then an improved UK team at home. That is a good time for us to get our running backs more and more involved and against progressively better and better competition those three weeks. It's also a good time to work in Gray and Myles more as well. It will give our o-line more and more time to gel- and we might see some more of Jenkins at LT during this time as well as some of the younger guys on defense get more reps such as Gray, Green and then Peters and Bryant.

Then we have a tough but winnable road game at Mizzou, and then everything culminates with Alabama at home.

Follow that up with a struggling Arkansas team on the road and then the Egg Bowl.

If things work out like I would like, we will hopefully peak at the end of the season- which is what everyone wants to do.

In hindsight- we beat a much improved USM team on the road. I think they win at least eight. And we lost to a great LSU team in the final seconds in a game we should have won. NWS is a I-AA team and then we beat a struggling Auburn team on the road. The most points our defense has allowed in that time has been 21 points to LSU- and we held Fournette to his lowest output of the season thus far. We've also allowed two 50+ yard field goals this year as well which is anomaly.

Our special teams has been very good overall this year as well. The only mistake I can recall tonight was we lined up incorrectly on a punt and got a penalty for it- but otherwise we were pretty clean.

And the offense has been OK- really the only thing I can complain about right now is the lack of a running game. Maybe the o-line, but they seem to be improving.

So hopefully this all works out in the end.

I don't know what meds you are now taking, but keep the dose right where it is. Enjoyed that positive hot-takery.

FISHDAWG
09-28-2015, 03:15 PM

no I don't think it's dumb at all ... I feel the exact same way ... it doesn't matter what other teams have done - it only matters what we CAN DO and can't do ... and we can't run the ball - ETA or either wont run the ball ... relying on Dak's arm can only take us so far

FISHDAWG
09-28-2015, 03:24 PM
I must be stoopid

I thought that comment sucked ... especially coming from a mod .... half the folks on this board feel the same way whether they admit it or not - just pull up some of last years threads about running Holloway

CarolinaDawgs
09-28-2015, 06:34 PM
Just FYI a check down pass is the same as a 3 yd run. Just because you can't run doesn't mean you can't run the clock.

tcdog70
09-28-2015, 07:28 PM
Just FYI a check down pass is the same as a 3 yd run. Just because you can't run doesn't mean you can't run the clock.

Thank You. The reason we are running the current offense is because it is what is available. Since Bama teams have schemed against our run game. Dak is now assigned a spy. But the five wide empty backfield allows a savvy QB like Dak to get a playmaker in space with a mismatch and get ole Bear in single coverage. We tried to run against LSU and it put our ass in a hole. Trust Dan to have a plan that will allow Us to win.