PDA

View Full Version : Current players for All-time MSU team

Ghost of Hank Flick
07-22-2013, 10:24 AM
I was going through the archives and found this post I did last summer. http://maroonandwhitenation.com/?p=3658 The question was could Johnthan Banks be listed on the all-time MSU first team? I think the answer is ultimately yes especially considering he won the Thorpe Award. How about any current players that could potentially make it? Tyler Russell, Gabe Jackson?

Here is my list. If you disagree let it be known, ha.

Offense
QB – John Bond (1980-83)
RB – Jerious Norwood (2002-05)
RB – J.J. Johnson (1997-98)
OL – Pork Chop Womack (1997-2000)
OL – Randy Thomas (1997-98)
OL – Derek Sharrod (2007-2010)
OL – Kent Hull (1979-1982)
OL – Eric Allen (1995-98)
WR – Eric Moulds (1992-95)
WR – Mardye McDole (1977-1980)
WR – David Smith (1968-1970)
TE – Reggie Kelly (1995-98)
Defense
DE – Billy Jackson (1980-83)
DT – Fletcher Cox (2009-2011)
DT – Glen Collins (1978-1981)
DE – Jimmy Webb (1972-74)
LB – Johnnie Cooks (1977-1981)
LB – DD Lewis (1965-67)
LB – Barrin Simpson (1996-99)
LB – Ray Costict (1973-76)
DB – Fred Smoot (1997-2000)
DB – Walt Harris (1992-95)
DB – Stan Black (1973-76)
DB – Johnthan Banks (2009-2012) [replances Frank Dowsing (1970-72)]
Special Teams
KR – Tony James (1989-1992)
K – Scott Westerfield (1999-2000)
P – Jeff Walker (1996-99)

FlabLoser
07-22-2013, 10:33 AM
Have to see what kind of year Russell has. He certainly looks like the best passing QB in the history of the school.

Gabe Jackson? I don't know. We have had a lot of good OL.

And I hope J Love makes a run at TJ's KR spot.

Ghost of Hank Flick
07-22-2013, 10:36 AM
Have to see what kind of year Russell has. He certainly looks like the best passing QB in the history of the school.

Gabe Jackson? I don't know. We have had a lot of good OL.

Potentially. If he ends up being a 1st or 2nd team All-American and drafted in the 1st round he would be hard to deny.

Coach34
07-22-2013, 11:04 AM
Jimmy Webb over Tyrone Keys?
JJ over Walter Packer is a close one also. I used to go around wearing my Walter Packer jersey all the time as a kid

How shitty have our WR's been that Mardye McDole and David Smith are still the standard?

War Machine Dawg
07-22-2013, 11:10 AM
No John James on the OL is a travesty. You could also argue for David Stewart and Robert Hicks making the cut, too. At WR, kinda surprised you don't have Willie Harris, Olanda Truitt, or Justin Jenkins. And as much as I think he underachieved, Chad Bumphis has a good argument to be on the WR list. Our QB history is just awful. Personally I'd go with Don Smith, but you can't go wrong with Bond. Felker and Madkin have legit arguments to make it, too. RBs: Any of Jerious, JJ, Dixon, Micheal Davis, Keiffer, Ballard, or Walter Packer.

At LB, you gotta find a spot for KJ Wright and Mario Haggan. Greg Favors & Daniel Boyd, and Marc Woodard also deserve serious consideration. Can't believe you don't have one of Kevin Sluder, Ed Smith, Ellis Wyms, Dorsett Davis, Alvin McKinley or Willie Blade on the DL. And no Eric Brown or Pig Prather at DB? Also a little surprised Robert Bean didn't make the cut. Those two guys were freaks of nature.

War Machine Dawg
07-22-2013, 11:13 AM
JJ over Walter Packer is a close one also. I used to go around wearing my Walter Packer jersey all the time as a kid

How shitty have our WR's been that Mardye McDole and David Smith are still the standard?

This has just as much to do with our shitty QB history. We've wasted some potentially great WRs - Tony Burks, Brandon McRae, and Co-Eric Riley all immediately come to mind. Everyone forgets Terrell Grindle, but he had a pretty damn nice career, too.

FISHDAWG
07-22-2013, 11:17 AM
Willie Blade ?
Mario Hagan ?

Ghost of Hank Flick
07-22-2013, 11:18 AM

Tough call there I guess. Actually Webb was a DT some I'm not sure what I was thinking when I did that. But he has a 2nd team and 1st-team all-SEC selection and was the 10th overall pick in NFL draft. Keys had 3 2nd-team all-SEC picks and was selected in the 5th round, but is 2nd in MSU history with 26 sacks. I didn't see either play so I'm not going to act like I really know.

Ghost of Hank Flick
07-22-2013, 11:21 AM
No John James on the OL is a travesty. You could also argue for David Stewart and Robert Hicks making the cut, too. At WR, kinda surprised you don't have Willie Harris, Olanda Truitt, or Justin Jenkins. And as much as I think he underachieved, Chad Bumphis has a good argument to be on the WR list. Our QB history is just awful. Personally I'd go with Don Smith, but you can't go wrong with Bond. Felker and Madkin have legit arguments to make it, too. RBs: Any of Jerious, JJ, Dixon, Micheal Davis, Keiffer, Ballard, or Walter Packer.

At LB, you gotta find a spot for KJ Wright and Mario Haggan. Greg Favors & Daniel Boyd, and Marc Woodard also deserve serious consideration. Can't believe you don't have one of Kevin Sluder, Ed Smith, Ellis Wyms, Dorsett Davis, Alvin McKinley or Willie Blade on the DL. And no Eric Brown or Pig Prather at DB? Also a little surprised Robert Bean didn't make the cut. Those two guys were freaks of nature.

Those guys are all great, but who are you going to take off the list to add someone? Those 4 LBs are pretty stout especially...I don't know who you take out.

War Machine Dawg
07-22-2013, 11:35 AM
Those guys are all great, but who are you going to take off the list to add someone? Those 4 LBs are pretty stout especially...I don't know who you take out.

I'll admit I'm an Eric Allen homer. My dad taught at New Albany when Eric was there and knew Eric's dad pretty well. But I'd replace him with Big John in a heartbeat. I'd replace Smith at WR with one of my list. And I'm a little surprised you took Reggie Kelly over Donald Lee. Can't go wrong either way, though.

I'd boot Costict for Haggan. No problem with Lewis, Cooks, and Simpson. Although I'd say it's a tough call on Simpson over KJ. Like Kelly & Lee at TE, can't really go wrong there. DL is definitely the quandry as to who you boot. Says a lot about the talent we've had at that position over the year, to me. I'd replace Stan Black with Brown or Pig. Pre-ACL Pig was one of the most freakish athletes to ever put on the Maron & Whit.

What these lists really say to me: We've had a TON of talent come through on D, OL, and RB. But QB & WR is an absolute joke for the most part. We've got to improve at those positions for us to ever sustain any real success as a program.

HancockCountyDog
07-22-2013, 11:49 AM
This has just as much to do with our shitty QB history. We've wasted some potentially great WRs - Tony Burks, Brandon McRae, and Co-Eric Riley all immediately come to mind. Everyone forgets Terrell Grindle, but he had a pretty damn nice career, too.

Did any of those guys play in NFL? I doubt it. I mean decent college WR? Sure they were solid, but certainly not what you think of when you start talking all time MSU WR, which for me is Moulds and thats it. I don't want to name another WR to be an all time list where there will be several NFL players on defense that don't get listed.

FlabLoser
07-22-2013, 01:02 PM
Lance Long made the Arizona Cardinal's roster. But he barely saw the field under Croom.