PDA

View Full Version : Dear should be moved to RB

cheewgumm
09-26-2015, 11:39 PM
It's obvious.

TaleofTwoDogs
09-26-2015, 11:46 PM
It's obvious.

To everybody but the one guy that counts.

Todd4State
09-26-2015, 11:47 PM
It should be Lee/Williams with Dear being used out of the slot and at RB.

Todd4State
09-26-2015, 11:48 PM
To everybody but the one guy that counts.

But you aren't at practice.**

ShotgunDawg
09-26-2015, 11:56 PM
Dear & Lee are the two best running backs on the team. I would love to see Dear at running back

Todd4State
09-26-2015, 11:58 PM
Dear & Lee are the two best running backs on the team. I would love to see Dear at running back

Dear definitely should be used at RB some, but he is also a really good slot WR. I like Lee as the primary back if we are going to have one because of his size and how he runs. I think Dear and Lee can compliment each other well.

msstate7
09-26-2015, 11:59 PM

I'd be happy with Williams/lee and Holloway. Holloway has earned his snaps

KB21
09-27-2015, 12:01 AM
There is an insinuation here that Dan doesn't know what he is doing. All you have to do is look at his and this staff's history at player development to see that he does know what he is doing. It's easy for fans to say so and so should be playing. However, we don't see what is going on in practice on a week to week basis. Now personally, I feel that Malik Dear will end up being a RB for Mississippi State. He's built almost exactly like Josh Robinson and has many of the same qualities. What I don't know is whether he knows the entire playbook at this point or what he can do when he is asked to pass block and make a read to pick up a blitz. What I do know is that on the snaps he does get, Dan puts him in positions where he can make plays.

When you see that Ashton Shumpert had only 5 rush attempts in this game, I think it shows that Dan knows that he isn't the bell cow he is used to having back there. So, you see him use multiple guys. Dak had 6 rush attempts. Brandon Holloway had 5 rush attempts. Gabe Myles had 2 rush attempts. Bear Wilson had 1. We also throw a lot of short passes to the backs and receivers on quick screens and utilize that short passing game as a running game.

defiantdog
09-27-2015, 12:15 AM
There is an insinuation here that Dan doesn't know what he is doing. All you have to do is look at his and this staff's history at player development to see that he does know what he is doing. It's easy for fans to say so and so should be playing. However, we don't see what is going on in practice on a week to week basis. Now personally, I feel that Malik Dear will end up being a RB for Mississippi State. He's built almost exactly like Josh Robinson and has many of the same qualities. What I don't know is whether he knows the entire playbook at this point or what he can do when he is asked to pass block and make a read to pick up a blitz. What I do know is that on the snaps he does get, Dan puts him in positions where he can make plays.

When you see that Ashton Shumpert had only 5 rush attempts in this game, I think it shows that Dan knows that he isn't the bell cow he is used to having back there. So, you see him use multiple guys. Dak had 6 rush attempts. Brandon Holloway had 5 rush attempts. Gabe Myles had 2 rush attempts. Bear Wilson had 1. We also throw a lot of short passes to the backs and receivers on quick screens and utilize that short passing game as a running game.
That's the crap that OM does..... We need to learn how to run the ball effectively again.

Todd4State
09-27-2015, 12:18 AM

It's up to Dan to GET them ready. When the young guys have played, there has been no indication that they didn't know what they were doing or anything that would indicate that they didn't know the playbook or weren't ready.

When Dear got to touch the ball, he did well.

I think what it comes down to is Dan doesn't trust them yet and is scared about what will happen if they screw up.

cheewgumm
09-27-2015, 12:49 AM
Todd I agree with you that he doesn't trust them yet. I'm not questioning that Dan knows what he's doing, I just think he doesn't trust them.

I hope he is not forced to put them in later, which I think will happen.

Tonight did represent a sea change in the game plan. They seem to know we can't run in a conventional manner so we are going to run it the Hal Mumme way... Short passes.

Todd4State
09-27-2015, 01:31 AM
Todd I agree with you that he doesn't trust them yet. I'm not questioning that Dan knows what he's doing, I just think he doesn't trust them.

I hope he is not forced to put them in later, which I think will happen.

Tonight did represent a sea change in the game plan. They seem to know we can't run in a conventional manner so we are going to run it the Hal Mumme way... Short passes.

That's the odd thing to me because to me it would make sense to try the freshmen who performed well last week first before completely abandoning the run totally. I could understand if Lee, Williams, and Dear didn't look ready- but that's not the case.

Clanga
09-27-2015, 02:21 AM
I mean gezze he did even give them a shot that's what doesn't make sense. Give them one play that you know they can run and see what happens. We were up two scores. It doesn't make any sense. Lee and Williams are obviously better, there has got to be more to this story, if not Dan might be the 'hardheadedest'...coach ever

msstate7
09-27-2015, 07:16 AM
That's the crap that OM does..... We need to learn how to run the ball effectively again.

I'd love to be able to run it, but we haven't shown that ability yet. First half of lsu was what we look like trying to run. Since we went air raid in the 2nd half of lsu game, we've outscored our 2 sec opponents 33-16. I think passing heavy is our best path to winning right now.

deltadawg99
09-27-2015, 08:25 AM
Lee & Williams aren't ready to be the bell cows yet, but this team doesn't have a true bell cow and shumpert sure as hell isnt.
Shump
Holloway
Lee
Williams
Myles
Dear
Even gray

That needs to be our running back by committee. We've got to be able to run the ball in some capacity. Dak has played great in the passing game but late in games you need to be about to control the clock.