PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article on Mich. State and hawk tackling

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-25-2015, 10:15 PM
I've got family that are fans of the other msu and they send me this article after we discussed the topic last week: http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/columnists/graham-couch/2015/09/23/couch-column-msu-rugby-tackling/72709030/

?It?s been stressed almost every day, anytime we do a tackling drill, all through summer, all through winter,? MSU senior safety RJ Williamson said. ?We watched videos on rugby tackling and watched the Seahawks. The Seahawks were a big team we watched how they tackled and implemented some things, like hawk tackling, rolling, wrapping and squeezing. It brings guys down a lot faster.?
A lot of wrapping and squeezing, sometimes driving legs, sometimes rolling, a shoulder to the hips or the chest or the thigh. Six different tackling techniques in all.
?I think it?s helped us a lot in terms of tackling in space,? senior linebacker Darien Harris said, ?coming at different angles, whether you?re head-up on a guy or coming from the side, whether you?re coming after engaging a block.?

Todd4State
09-25-2015, 10:30 PM
I definitely think it is going to be the future of tackling in football. I just wonder if we are having a little bit of trouble adjusting to it because maybe guys like Richie are thinking too much about techniques and things like that sometimes.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-25-2015, 10:43 PM
I think it has to be part of it with Richie and as I've posted in the past, he had an insane number of tackles his senior year in high school, so I don't think he's forgotten how to tackle.

Eta: he had over 200 tackles his senior year.