PDA

View Full Version : Todd Blackledge just hit the nail on the head...

CadaverDawg
09-25-2015, 05:20 PM
when he said Arkansas and Alabama still "haven't figured out who they are on offense". He's referring to 50+ passes for both Allen and Coker in their recent games. And I think to an extent, we're dealing with the same thing. Dan has never had an offense at MSU that didn't have a reliable RB and a pretty solid O-Line....and I'm thinking we still haven't figured out who we are, and what our identity will be on offense this year.

Dak throwing 52 times vs LSU is NOT what we are. The good news...Dan knows we have to run it, so he tried some new looks with WR's taking handoffs vs NWS and things like that, which shows he knows and is working on it.

You've got to think we'll try to take advantage of the poor run defense at Auburn...so I'm really wondering if we see a bulk of the carries go to Dak and slot guys tomorrow.

Anyway, I think this is the reason there is still so much worry and concern by MSU fans....because we still don't really know what we are on offense. Or better yet, what Dan thinks we are. Thoughts?

TopDog58
09-25-2015, 05:24 PM
Id much rather not know who we are on offense gaining 500 per game than the previous era of MSU football. Win this weekend and we are still on track.

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2015, 05:30 PM
I agree Cadaver, but I'm not terribly worried about it tomorrow because I think we'll score enough regardless.

However, I do think there is a chance we come out of tomorrow with our identity.

On a larger scale, if we can find a way to win tomorrow, we'll go into November with a chance to do some damage with Bama & Ole Miss at home. We lost a ton of starters, got a new DC, & had a find a running back, so it shouldn't be much surprise that it's taken time to find our identity. Furthermore, I'm not sure we had an identity in the first three games last year either. We kind of found that in the 4th game against LSU, which would be this week in this season. If we can just find a way to get through the next few games, that will give us a month of playing non-conference games & KY at home to figure things out.

Last year I felt like, as good as that 3 game stretch was, it gassed us. If we can win tomorrow & at A&M, this team will be building towards November.

There is a chance that this team is hell in November. We just have to get there with a chance.

basedog
09-25-2015, 05:57 PM
Here again, our best players on offense and our game breakers are our wide outs. Yes we need to run the ball but this year we are gonna be more of a passing offense to set up the run.

PMDawg
09-25-2015, 06:15 PM
If we can't run for around 200 tomorrow....could be an ugly year. On the flip side, if we go bitch slap them on the Plains, things really start looking up. Pivotal game either way.

Call me Captain Obvious!

Dawg61
09-25-2015, 06:17 PM
Here again, our best players on offense and our game breakers are our wide outs. Yes we need to run the ball but this year we are gonna be more of a passing offense to set up the run.

This. We are a run spread offense that just happens to be better at passing and receiving than rushing this year. With Dak passing and a plethora of talent at WR/TE we should exploit this talent while we have it. Pass first to set up the run.

Taco
09-25-2015, 06:37 PM
I want to see Lee and Williams combine for at least 20 rushes. 10 for Dak. Dear and Gabe making plays. Bear deep.

CadaverDawg
09-25-2015, 06:43 PM

"More passing than normal", and 52 passes in a non-shootout SEC game, are two totally different things. So I agree that we're going to pass more, but I also think if Dak throws 40+ passes per game, we won't be good this year.

CadaverDawg
09-25-2015, 06:44 PM
I want to see Lee and Williams combine for at least 20 rushes. 10 for Dak. Dear and Gabe making plays. Bear deep.

May not want to tune in then.

DownwardDawg
09-25-2015, 06:49 PM
The Auburn game seems to be a major pivotal game almost every year these days.

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2015, 06:53 PM
If we can't run for around 200 tomorrow....could be an ugly year. On the flip side, if we go bitch slap them on the Plains, things really start looking up. Pivotal game either way.

Call me Captain Obvious!

I I don't like putting qualifiers on any games, much less a road game at Auburn. I believe we will be a much much better team in November than we are right now, and right now the goal should just be to win so that we are playing for something in November, when we could be one of the best teams in the country.

basedog
09-25-2015, 07:35 PM
"More passing than normal", and 52 passes in a non-shootout SEC game, are two totally different things. So I agree that we're going to pass more, but I also think if Dak throws 40+ passes per game, we won't be good this year.

First off I didn't say more passing than normal. Also, we played catch up against Lsu. If we run say 80 plays I believe there will be more passing than running plays. I know we have to run more or better, but our passing game should help our running games. I'm for whatever it takes, I'm thinking we will get the ball to our play makers. I'm thinking Dak will throw deep more this weekend.

Political Hack
09-25-2015, 07:39 PM

Agree. Get the ball to Myles, Bear, and the Freds, among others.

Homedawg
09-25-2015, 08:10 PM
Our best playmakers this side of dak are wr, we should throw more than run. I agree we have to be able to run better to have a better season, no question.

Eta sorry basedog, apparently we are on the same page, ha.

bulldawg28
09-25-2015, 08:15 PM
TTDB

Coach007
09-25-2015, 08:19 PM
when he said Arkansas and Alabama still "haven't figured out who they are on offense". He's referring to 50+ passes for both Allen and Coker in their recent games. And I think to an extent, we're dealing with the same thing. Dan has never had an offense at MSU that didn't have a reliable RB and a pretty solid O-Line....and I'm thinking we still haven't figured out who we are, and what our identity will be on offense this year.

Dak throwing 52 times vs LSU is NOT what we are. The good news...Dan knows we have to run it, so he tried some new looks with WR's taking handoffs vs NWS and things like that, which shows he knows and is working on it.

You've got to think we'll try to take advantage of the poor run defense at Auburn...so I'm really wondering if we see a bulk of the carries go to Dak and slot guys tomorrow.

Anyway, I think this is the reason there is still so much worry and concern by MSU fans....because we still don't really know what we are on offense. Or better yet, what Dan thinks we are. Thoughts?

I don't think those were new plays. We just put them back in the playbook. I'm happy with what we did last weekend. I hope we come out with passion and just go all out.

Coach007
09-25-2015, 08:22 PM
Our best playmakers this side of dak are wr, we should throw more than run. I agree we have to be able to run better to have a better season, no question.

No.... We need to be balanced. Its part of spreading out the defense.

Homedawg
09-25-2015, 08:30 PM
No.... We need to be balanced. Its part of spreading out the defense.

Ok beat your damn head against the wall hard head. We can't be "balanced" and successful. The parts don't add up. But it sure sounds good. Do we need to run better? Yes. But even if we do, our best playmakers are wr- short of dak. If you can't see that then I can't help you.

Or we can just go w he balanced approach we used against lsu that failed miserably.

basedog
09-25-2015, 08:41 PM
Ok beat your damn head against the wall hard head. We can't be "balanced" and successful. The parts don't add up. But it sure sounds good. Do we need to run better? Yes. But even if we do, our best playmakers are wr- short of dak. If you can't see that then I can't help you.

Or we can just go w he balanced approach we used against lsu that failed miserably.

I agree completely. We tried running the ball in the game against Lsu and couldn't. Dan make be hard headed but he ain't stupid as we knows who the playmakers are. If we can run we win easily Saturday.

Btw what does Eta stand for? Also have not a clue about TTDB?

CadaverDawg
09-25-2015, 08:42 PM
We can be balanced in stats...but we need to come out throwing to open up the run game. Get a big lead and then let the rushing yards catch up as we run out the clock.

If we had come out throwing vs LSU, we win. They wouldn't have seen it coming, and we would have gotten a lead and forced Harris to pass more in catch up mode, leading to turnovers. The same applies tomorrow in my opinion. We still need to run, but we'll have to pass first to open it up.

CadaverDawg
09-25-2015, 08:44 PM
I agree completely. We tried running the ball in the game against Lsu and couldn't. Dan make be hard headed but he ain't stupid as we knows who the playmakers are. If we can run we win easily Saturday.

We're on the same page, just saying it differently. I agree with you.

Eta = Edited to add
TTDB = Throw The Damn Ball (I'm guessing)

Coach007
09-25-2015, 08:47 PM

Uh, we did not have a balanced approach vs LSU, nor did we play our game. If we use the same play sets and designs.... We will not win.

Homedawg
09-25-2015, 08:49 PM

Agree!.....edited to add. I assume ttdb was throw the damn ball.

Homedawg
09-25-2015, 08:51 PM
Uh, we did not have a balanced approach vs LSU, nor did we play our game. If we use the same play sets and designs.... We will not win.

Ugh, in the first half we tried to run. Didn't work. Tried in our own territory and inside the red zone, didn't work. Wasn't going to work. When we threw it- guess what? we scored! I know you know everything. No point in arguing w you. Waste of good energy.

Coach007
09-25-2015, 08:55 PM
Ugh, in the first half we tried to run. Didn't work. Tried in our own territory and inside the red zone, didn't work. Wasn't going to work. When we threw it- guess what? we scored! I know you know everything. No point in arguing w you. Waste of good energy.

No we tried a version of a run game. Not one that our system really uses well. I'm not sure if you are drinking or feel your importance, but thank you for recongnizing mine.

Coach007
09-25-2015, 08:58 PM
More so, if we get away from what this system needs to have in order to be successful, we pretty much are giving up on eseason and the growth of the Ol and rbs.

Todd4State
09-25-2015, 09:05 PM
More so, if we get away from what this system needs to have in order to be successful, we pretty much are giving up on eseason and the growth of the Ol and rbs.

And running up the middle for two yards is just as bad. Contrary to popular belief, you can throw the ball and be successful.

The other option- my preferred option- is to incorporate Lee, Williams, and Dear into the run game along with Shumpert.

Our best options right now are to either be hard headed personnel wise but throw it more while also running Dak more OR to give different people a chance at toting the rock.

Todd4State
09-25-2015, 09:07 PM
May not want to tune in then.

I'm not sure if Relentless means anything, but they talked up Gabe Myles and Donald Gray. I'm guessing we will see more of them tomorrow.

gravedigger
09-25-2015, 09:08 PM

Maybe its more that we need to lead our run game with the air attack. I dont give a rip what the run pass stats wind up being. I just cannot stand to see us forced to throw on third and long because of some bs notion that we are a running team first. Fine. Run it. Just not with 8 in the box.

Dak is one freaking player. One. He will not run well if we are telegraphing it.

Bully13
09-25-2015, 09:09 PM
I'm hoping our coaching staff will have a sit down with Shump. let him know that a change will not only help our team but give him a shot a the league. surely Shump must be knowing at this point he will never get a check playing RB. the guy is a damned good athlete. it's time he let go and listen to the voices of reason. he's got the skills and instincts to play football. it's just not RB... please make this happen. not only for MSU but for Shump...I'm hoping it works out good.

Political Hack
09-25-2015, 09:23 PM

Throw The Damn Ball

Todd4State
09-25-2015, 09:59 PM
I'm hoping our coaching staff will have a sit down with Shump. let him know that a change will not only help our team but give him a shot a the league. surely Shump must be knowing at this point he will never get a check playing RB. the guy is a damned good athlete. it's time he let go and listen to the voices of reason. he's got the skills and instincts to play football. it's just not RB... please make this happen. not only for MSU but for Shump...I'm hoping it works out good.

EXACTLY. And I'm not so sure Shumpert wouldn't be against it- especially since I think he has a potential future in the NFL as a FB.

USM- 8 carries 38 yards 4 receptions for 26 yards

LSU- 10 carries 30 yards 3 receptions for 37 yards

NWS- 9 carries 55 yards 1 reception for 1 yard

My point is Shumpert is actually as good or better as receiver- which would very valuable coming out of the FB spot. NWS game non-withstanding. He is clearly the best blocking RB we have.

Schultzy
09-25-2015, 11:12 PM
Shouldn't we be using those quick forward passes on the perimeter for four and five yard gains as part of our "running game"?

Statistically it's a pass but it's more like part of your running game and we used that to perfection last yr against lsu, auburn, A&M and then abandoned that approach later in the season.

Plus we have the personnel to do that and our receivers block so well. I think the bubble screen or whatever you call it should be a staple of our offense every week.

Coach007
09-26-2015, 04:25 AM
Yes we should have those in as extension of the run game. Misdirections, slips, reads.... All have to go back into use.

I remember saying this when Tyler Russell was here and we were headed into Bama. No run, no win. People said the same thing then. We have Russell, he can throw and we can win doing that. No we can't. I don't know of any teams in the sec who has ever won a championship just passing the ball.

Last year, going into Bama again... If we can't run it....we won't win. Both times, we could not run. In 2012, 47 yards. Last year josh had 37, but we threw the hell out of it. Dak threw it 48 times! Last year, starting with bama.... We abandoned our style that got us to #1. We carried that over to this year. Except for last weekend when we opened the playbook back up.

Coach007
09-26-2015, 04:44 AM
And running up the middle for two yards is just as bad. Contrary to popular belief, you can throw the ball and be successful.

The other option- my preferred option- is to incorporate Lee, Williams, and Dear into the run game along with Shumpert.

Our best options right now are to either be hard headed personnel wise but throw it more while also running Dak more OR to give different people a chance at toting the rock.

Not in this league you can't. For the sake of argument, Dak hasn't. When ever we use him in the sec to throw it 45 to 50ish times, we don't win. We didn't vs Bama, gt, or LSU. In fact, tamu tried that against us last year.... They lost. UK tried throwing it that much, they lost. It is popular belief, but its not contrary to facts. Without a run game, you won't win the sec. And that run game is independent of a running qb. An actual rb/fb has to produce yards.

Todd4State
09-26-2015, 06:22 AM
Not in this league you can't. For the sake of argument, Dak hasn't. When ever we use him in the sec to throw it 45 to 50ish times, we don't win. We didn't vs Bama, gt, or LSU. In fact, tamu tried that against us last year.... They lost. UK tried throwing it that much, they lost. It is popular belief, but its not contrary to facts. Without a run game, you won't win the sec. And that run game is independent of a running qb. An actual rb/fb has to produce yards.

I like how you are leaving out the FACT that the reason we threw it 50 times in each of those games was because we were behind. It's not like Dan went into those games and said "hey, let's be pass first and see what happens" as his original gameplan. Even Georgia Tech, Army, Navy, etc. start throwing it when they are down.

We're just saying that if we continue to not be able to establish a running game with Shumpert AND Dan will not play the freshmen running backs- our best option to get ahead is to throw the ball.

I know that is counterintuitive to what you have been taught your whole football life- but having to throw on third and eight every time and not being able to move the ball and get ahead is just wasting possessions and keeping our defense on the field and wearing them out.

It isn't so much that some of us are against being run first- it's just that we see that we haven't been able to establish the run so far aside from Northwestern State. And we would rather try something different rather than bang our head against a brick wall because "well, you HAVE to be run first because it's the SEC."

You can still be pass first and run the ball- even in the SEC. That wouldn't be a bad idea with us especially if we continue to insist on Shumpert being the starter- get ahead throwing to our plethora of WR's and then let the freshmen who are fresh wear them out in the third and fourth quarter.