PDA

View Full Version : Weekend C&D Thread: Roasted Kitty Addition

BeastMan
09-25-2015, 02:18 PM
Bring on the Plainsmen! Road game so I'll be home and I'm thinking steaks. Bourbon will be involved in sure.

SpeckleDawg
09-25-2015, 02:40 PM
Steaks for me as well. Also, picked up some Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout and Corner Creek Reserve bourbon. Hoping to do some celebrating tomorrow night.

Prediction? Pain.
09-25-2015, 05:55 PM
Steaks for me as well. Also, picked up some Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout and Corner Creek Reserve bourbon. Hoping to do some celebrating tomorrow night.

I'd like a report on the Corner Creek if you get some time, Speckle. Always see the stuff around but I've never tried it.

BrunswickDawg
09-25-2015, 09:09 PM
Marching band chaperone tonight for the trip to Richmond Hill to watch the Glynn Academy Red Terrors destroy them 49-7. Remember the name ATH Deejay Dallas - UGA commit for '17 - one man wrecking crew tonight.

Tomorrow some thick NY strips, twice backed potatoes, and grilled asparagus. Going to pick up some bourbon but haven't decided what yet. Recommendations are welcomed for good $25-40 bottles to try other than my regular Bulleit

SapperDawg
09-25-2015, 10:00 PM
My last drill in Knoxville, so not much going on for me. Saturday whiskey tasting at McScrooge's is likely the most I will get in.

Recommendations are welcomed for good $25-40 bottles to try other than my regular Bulleit

Brunswick - if I may, a couple I am reallying liking right now: Elijah Craig Small Batch is about $25 and 12 years old; Jefferson's Reserve should be in that upper $40 range, but well worth it. I find it goes well with food, too. Larceny is about $20 and a great pour as well.

Prediction? Pain.
09-25-2015, 11:07 PM
Recommendations are welcomed for good $25-40 bottles to try other than my regular Bulleit

In addition to Sapper's suggestions, couple of others to consider in that range that I usually enjoy:

Evan Williams Single Barrel - 9 to 10 years old and almost always excellent, especially at the ~$25 price point. I didn't like the '05 vintage as much as previous years, but I've heard great things about the '06 that's been coming out over the past few months.

Basil Hayden - 8 years old, one of Beam's small batch releases alongside Booker's, Baker's, and Knob Creek. It's a higher rye bourbon like the Bulleit, but more subdued. Some people knock it as being too light or delicate, but I've never felt that way. Just go light on the ice. It's around ~$40 where I live.

Uncle Ruckus
09-26-2015, 12:55 PM
While I'm waiting on my wife to get done with her teaching workshop I'm sitting at Tailgaters in Biloxi having wings and Miller. But tonight is the good stuff. Smoking a pork shoulder at the house, should be ready around 5ish. Going to turn smoked shoulder into pulled pork with BBQ sauce. Cutting around 6-8 white flour tortillas in triangles and frying them to make homemade chips. Homemade BBQ nachos with white Mexican restaurant style cheese and jalape?os. Bought a couple blocks of pepper jack cheese, cut them into cubes, floured, egg wash, then rolled in a bread crumbs and put in freezer on a tray to fry later for pepper jack cheese wedges. Will also have Miller Light and watch the game on the 4K tv I bought while waiting on my wife. I told her if I had to take her I was going to Best Buy.

BeardoMSU
09-26-2015, 01:54 PM
In addition to Sapper's suggestions, couple of others to consider in that range that I usually enjoy:

Evan Williams Single Barrel - 9 to 10 years old and almost always excellent, especially at the ~$25 price point. I didn't like the '05 vintage as much as previous years, but I've heard great things about the '06 that's been coming out over the past few months.

Basil Hayden - 8 years old, one of Beam's small batch releases alongside Booker's, Baker's, and Knob Creek. It's a higher rye bourbon like the Bulleit, but more subdued. Some people knock it as being too light or delicate, but I've never felt that way. Just go light on the ice. It's around ~$40 where I live.

I second the Basil Hayden. Good stuff.

BeardoMSU
09-26-2015, 02:33 PM
Decided to tryout a new cocktail idea I had.

I got a bottle of decent silver tequila (100% agave, naturally). I then roasted a jalapeno and some pineapple slices, which I stuffed down into the tequila bottle and let marinate for about a week. What I'm left with is a bad ass flavored spirit, with a nice little heat punch at the end.

For the drink:
2 oz marinated tequila
1 oz fresh lemon/lime juice (1/2 of each)
1/2 to 1 oz simple syrup (sweeten to taste, basically)
2 oz pineapple juice

Shake with ice and sever over fresh ice, garnish with a sprig of cilantro and a lime wheel.

****ing delicious.

I seen it dawg
09-26-2015, 04:54 PM
Lots and lots and lots of beer. Pulled pork nachos and tacos for lunch. Baby backs slow on the green egg. And beer.

SpeckleDawg
09-26-2015, 06:06 PM
Deer sausage appetizer on the grill now and working on the stout. If we come out turrible, I'll switch to the bourbon. If we come out great, I'll probably switch to the bourbon. Either way, steaks going on at half time. Sweet potatoes in the oven shortly.

BeastMan
09-26-2015, 07:07 PM
Old Charter and sprite zero for sipping. I have a ribeye and a filet marinating in the fridge. Baked taters in the oven. I'll saut?e some portabella mushrooms and onion last. Simple, lazy dinner tonight.

BeastMan
09-26-2015, 08:00 PM
Ribeye mine, small bacon wrapped fillet wife

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc473/stoms31/Mobile%20Uploads/E097CF31-C842-434B-B118-1A558BECD6C8_zpszwup1djv.jpg

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc473/stoms31/Mobile%20Uploads/867DA551-FBE1-44A7-A36D-65F2874B6BFE_zpsfvtu2spp.jpg

SapperDawg
09-26-2015, 08:20 PM
Craft beers and a Five Guys burger for the first half. Back at the hotel with my new stash from McScrooge's:

Last two bottles of Old Charter 8 Year Old in existance;
Jefferson's Ocean Voyage 4
Jefferson's Reserve Groth Cask (I have one of these that is about out, and have fell in love with it);
Four Roses SB OESF 9 yr 6 mth*
Four Roses SB OESV 11 yr 1 month*
Four Roses SB OESK 10 year 1 month*
*These are all barrell strenght

I now have six of the ten 4R reciipies, with a goal of all 10 at some point.

BrunswickDawg
09-26-2015, 09:59 PM
Decided to stick to beer - and glad I did. If I was bourbon drinking watching this game I might have done something stupid. Abita Pecan Harvest, a kick ass strip, and roasted zucchini, squash, and potatoes. I knew it was a good day when I got 2 huge strips at W-D for $14.http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo8/BrunswickDawg/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpseumonkdx.jpeg (http://s356.photobucket.com/user/BrunswickDawg/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpseumonkdx.jpeg.html)

jbjones
09-26-2015, 10:26 PM
Old Charter and sprite zero for sipping.

Damn, I haven't had that in a loooong time; That's a good combo... I can taste it..hahaha..

And y'alls dishes look freaking awesome. Well done!

Dallas_Dawg
09-28-2015, 11:22 PM
Yeah I tried getting some Old Charter in Starkville about a month ago and they looked at me like I was crazy. Didn't realize they quit making it.

SapperDawg
09-29-2015, 07:45 AM
Yeah I tried getting some Old Charter in Starkville about a month ago and they looked at me like I was crazy. Didn't realize they quit making it.

It is not discontinued, but they have changed it to be a "no age statement" whiskey now. First they took OC 12 year old off the shelf, then 10 yo, then they changed the label on the 8 yo. Once word got out it was going to no age statement, there was a huge run on it. Most places have it back in stock now. Same thing happened to Very Old Barton, and many suspect that Elijah Craig 12 and Eagle Rare 10 will be going that way soon.

SpeckleDawg
09-29-2015, 09:19 AM
It is not discontinued, but they have changed it to be a "no age statement" whiskey now. First they took OC 12 year old off the shelf, then 10 yo, then they changed the label on the 8 yo. Once word got out it was going to no age statement, there was a huge run on it. Most places have it back in stock now. Same thing happened to Very Old Barton, and many suspect that Elijah Craig 12 and Eagle Rare 10 will be going that way soon.

I had no idea either. I have ~1/2 bottle of 8 at the house. I wish I had bought more at the time.

BeastMan
09-29-2015, 10:18 AM
Damn, I haven't had that in a loooong time; That's a good combo... I can taste it..hahaha..

And y'alls dishes look freaking awesome. Well done!

Thanks. Not sure if you mean plate presentation or the actual dishes. I had to go to war with the wife to pick out what I considered decent wedding plates. Everything she wanted was super girly. I battled and battled until we found me that set made by Daniel Cremeaux (sp?).

BeastMan
09-29-2015, 10:22 AM
I had no idea either. I have ~1/2 bottle of 8 at the house. I wish I had bought more at the time.

I didn't know all that either. I thought they just cut back production and it was in allocation. We are in the middle of a national bourbon boom and a lot of bourbons are in allocation so I guess I just assumed. Bourbon isn't a southern regional thing anymore.

I have a local store that I do 90% of my business with and they do a lot of business with me. They stash me charter when they're able to get it. Last time they could only get it in pints. I use it as my mixing bourbon and haven't noticed it being different but with coke or sprite I wouldn't be able to tell anyway.

SapperDawg
09-29-2015, 12:32 PM
Funny thing is you can't buy Charter at all in AL. I did some research and the center of gravity for Charter sales is in Arkansas, and the farther you get away from there the less likely you are to find it.