PDA

View Full Version : 34 years ago in Pass Interference history

PassInterference
09-25-2015, 12:41 PM
One reason of many to hate Ole Miss and referee Dick Pace.

http://youtu.be/DocxZM1lQEg

Drugdog
09-25-2015, 12:55 PM
The worst call in the history of football.

Maroonthirteen
09-25-2015, 12:58 PM
Dick Pace and XenaReb in the refs lockerroom.

http://gifatron.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/seinfled.gif

NCDawg
09-25-2015, 01:02 PM
The worst call in the history of football.

Totally agree, despite the CL article the next day attempting to justify the call.

Coach34
09-25-2015, 01:32 PM
**** that cheating mf'er. I'd piss on his grave if I knew where it was

Liverpooldawg
09-25-2015, 01:58 PM
I was sitting about 10 rows up right above the play. I split my cowbell wide open on the bench in front of me. I've never seen a call that bad on any level. Given how many Friday nights I've spent watching Class 1A football in Mississippi that's saying something.

blacklistedbully
09-25-2015, 04:03 PM
I was sitting about 10 rows up right above the play. I split my cowbell wide open on the bench in front of me. I've never seen a call that bad on any level. Given how many Friday nights I've spent watching Class 1A football in Mississippi that's saying something.

Yep, I was there too. I seem to recall The Reflector, or perhaps one of the other papers showing a shot of the INT with a caption that said, "Pass interference my #&$$".

Outside Dawg
09-25-2015, 04:13 PM
That was before I was born. Ive never seen or heard of that before, but that just made my stomach hurt.

Jack Lambert
09-25-2015, 04:21 PM
That was before I was born. Ive never seen or heard of that before

Lucky!

Jack Lambert
09-25-2015, 04:22 PM
Given how many Friday nights I've spent watching Class 1A football in Mississippi that's saying something.

Thats funny.

Bama_Dawg
09-25-2015, 04:22 PM
That was before I was born. Ive never seen or heard of that before, but that just made my stomach hurt.

And youtube queued up the Immaculate Deflection after that one.

Interwebs, I hate you today!

oldwave
09-25-2015, 04:32 PM
[QUOTE=Bama_Dawg;417332]And youtube queued up the Immaculate Deflection after that one.

Interwebs, I hate you today![/QUOTE

I was present for both. Guess I've seen Dogs loose nearly every way imaginable.

blacklistedbully
09-25-2015, 04:40 PM

Made even worse when one considers that was 1 of 3 losses we should not have suffered that year. We should not have lost to USM or Bama either, as I recall.

USM game that year was the one we lost 6-7 in a game where we rolled up 500 yards of offense, and the only time they crossed midfield was on a fumbled punt recovery, I believe at our 12 yard line, which they cashed in for the sole TD. We just kept shooting ourselves in the foot, despite dominating on the field.

Versus Bama, we had the ball inside the Bama 10 with seconds left on 3rd-down, thinking one try to win, then settle for tying FG and OT, but John Bond's pass was deflected at the LOS and intercepted. Game over.

The woulda, coulda, shoulda's that year were off-the-chart. A candidate for, "best team ever" IMO, but one that finished 8-4.

cujo
09-25-2015, 04:54 PM
Missouri beat us 14-3. You're right, that should have been our only loss in an SEC championship, 10-1 season.

oldwave
09-25-2015, 05:04 PM
Made even worse when one considers that was 1 of 3 losses we should not have suffered that year. We should not have lost to USM or Bama either, as I recall.

USM game that year was the one we lost 6-7 in a game where we rolled up 500 yards of offense, and the only time they crossed midfield was on a fumbled punt recovery, I believe at our 12 yard line, which they cashed in for the sole TD. We just kept shooting ourselves in the foot, despite dominating on the field.

Versus Bama, we had the ball inside the Bama 10 with seconds left on 3rd-down, thinking one try to win, then settle for tying FG and OT, but John Bond's pass was deflected at the LOS and intercepted. Game over.

The woulda, coulda, shoulda's that year were off-the-chart. A candidate for, "best team ever" IMO, but one that finished 8-4.

Wow, your bringing back memories, that was my Soph. year at State and I was all those games. We also beat Jim Kelly and Miami that year.

blacklistedbully
09-25-2015, 05:14 PM
Wow, your bringing back memories, that was my Soph. year at State and I was all those games. We also beat Jim Kelly and Miami that year.

When MSU fans talk about being snake-bit, dead-Indians, etc, that season was probably the epitome of all that.

Impossible to have been through that as a fan and not come out scarred for life.

Dawgowar
09-25-2015, 05:34 PM
My first Egg Bowl. Between that bullshit call, the walk through the TSUN side of the parking lot, and the slow drive through some Jackson neighborhoods getting out-----I learned to really despise those scumbags.

Bonus round- how many were at the State-TSUN basketball game that year when their cheerleaders ran that play on our court during a timeout?

Liverpooldawg
09-25-2015, 05:35 PM
That was my freshman year.

oldwave
09-25-2015, 05:51 PM
On the upside, we got to see four years of beating LSU and the first ever night game at Scott Field.

blacklistedbully
09-25-2015, 05:56 PM
i will forever maintain we had one of the best teams in the country that year, but hardly anybody knows it.

BulldogBear
09-25-2015, 08:15 PM
I was only 8 and went to the Memphis State (20-3) and Florida (28-7) games in Jackson early in the season but how is it that I've never seen that video till now? Atrocious. I'm up in Southaven visiting my long time best friend who is a Bear. He'd never seen it before either and said it was ridiculous when I showed him.

Thrill1
09-25-2015, 11:28 PM
I'm nearly 40 and have heard about this all my life and that was the first time I've seen the video of it. Sickening. Makes my blood boil.

Two years later it was me in that stadium witnessing Cosby's deflection in the opposite end zone. No way to comprehend that at age 7. But I did learn then that day I hated them more than the heat of 1,000 suns.

Schultzy
09-25-2015, 11:34 PM
Plus the play was called against consensus All American cornerback Kenneth Johnson; who was a first round pick of the Falcons and made several Pro Bowls as a DB and punt returner.

Kenneth Johnson said "it's the worst play I've ever been involved with in all the years I played football."

Also, either Dick Pace himself or his wife were employed at UNM at one time in their ticket office.

Coach34
09-26-2015, 12:01 AM
It was flatout blatant cheating. Nothing else can be said about it

Todd4State
09-26-2015, 12:06 AM
The really bad thing about the Dick Pace play is if you ask pretty much any reputable football official, they take pride in being unbiased and calling the game correctly.

One little known SEC rule is every football official must have attended an SEC institution. And that just opens up seeds for potential corruption IMO.

starkvegasdawg
09-26-2015, 03:47 AM
One little known SEC rule is every football official must have attended an SEC institution. And that just opens up seeds for potential corruption IMO.

Must be why there's so many bama sidewalk fans you encounter. The ones that went to school are all officials and on the field.

Thick
09-26-2015, 08:33 AM
By far THE worst call in Egg Bowl history, maybe even the history of football!

Liverpooldawg
09-26-2015, 08:50 AM
I have no idea if it's true but I was told somewhere back along the line that Dick Pace never called another SEC game. Out of all the plays that have ever gone against us since I've been alive, that one is the one that upsets me the most. Most of the others fade with time but my blood still boils about that one all these years later.

Bully13
09-26-2015, 09:04 AM
I was there at the game looking right on top of that play. even the defender had a shirt made of him making the interception and as you can see he had his back to the would be receiver. dick threw the flag right after the interception. here's something you want believe though. he made a comment to the paper about the call and said it was due to our defender pushing off 5 yards before the end zone. yep he said that. and the INT happened deep in the end zone.

someone once told me that the call was so obviously blatant, the NCAA changed the rule to the 15 yd penalty instead of a spot foul. not sure if that is what actually prompted them to do that but it would make sense. I've never liked it being a spot foul, even in the NFL. should be a 15 yarder.

oh, and like liverpool did, I too busted my cowbell while exiting the stadium.

Liverpooldawg
09-26-2015, 09:23 AM
I was also right on top of the play. The closest our defender got to the receiver was at the moment he caught the ball. He was actually beaten and made an incredible recovery. He made a great play and got cheated, plain and simple.