PDA

View Full Version : Media pimping the new Auburn QB already.

DancingRabbit
09-24-2015, 09:00 AM
I ran across this article on Fox Sports ("Why freshman Sean White could run with the Auburn QB job") and I'm thinking, "whoaa, maybe this guy is really good".

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/auburn-tigers-sean-white-jeremy-johnson-gus-malzahn-who-is-new-qb-elite-11-opening-mvp-092315

Then I looked up what he said about Jeremy Johnson ("Jeremy Johnson has every tool to be America's best QB in 2015") and I immediately felt better.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/auburn-tigers-sec-west-gus-malzahn-jeremy-johnson-spring-takeaways-042215

Coach34
09-24-2015, 09:10 AM
No excuses for us Saturday. We have failed as a staff and a program if we don't win that game

msstate7
09-24-2015, 09:11 AM
He's drew Brees and tom Brady rolled into one with the running ability of Michael Vick. He has an arm stronger than jay cutler. He's so good and such an athlete that auburn is going to play him at mlb also to sure the defense. Boys he's the single greatest talent that the world of football has ever seen. We are so screwed...

ShotgunDawg
I agree, the optimism surrounding Auburn QBs is a phenomenon all it's own.

I'm curious if it goes back to Cam being a first year starter.

Not sure why anyone expects much out of White on Saturday night.

TrapGame
Yep, the sports media acts like this kid is coming off the bench to throw for 400 yards and 4 touch downs. I watched the spring game highlights. If he's still in at QB after halftime I'll be shocked! I counted four times he should have been sacked but since it was the spring game the DE let up every time giving White time instead wrapping him up and driving him into the turf!

Prediction? Pain.
09-24-2015, 09:12 AM
The hype the media gave Johnson over the summer was ridiculous. Kinda feel bad for the guy now that he's face-planted. To talk the guy up as a Heisman favorite after two halves of college football was just plain dumb.

Here's another profile on White:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/09/meet_auburn_new_quarterback_sean_white_accustomed_ to_underdog_role.html#incart_story_package

From AL.com, so be prepared for some unbridled enthusiasm about White's prospects. "Sources" sure are optimistic.

I still don't like that there's no film on the guy. Talking to an Auburn friend of mine and we both thought of Dak's first career start vs. an SEC team, which was at Auburn in 2013. During the first half of that game, the same Auburn friend texted me asking where the hell Dak came from. Auburn went on to win, but I'm guessing Ellis Johnson would've loved to have had more film on Dak and to have spent some time preparing for him. (As others have mentioned elsewhere, I too think I would've announced the decision at kickoff if I was Malzahn.)

Here's hoping Diaz confuses the hell out of the kid and our front seven can get some pressure on him fast enough to disrupt what I assume will be lots of short, quick passes.

Political Hack
09-24-2015, 09:14 AM
No excuses for us Saturday. We have failed as a staff and a program if we don't win that game

It would be a tough loss for the year, but I'm not sure it constitutes a complete program failure. If Auburn happens to beat us they'll bounce back and win multiple more games. Surely they'll turn it around at some point. They can't continue to think they're playing two hand touch on defense. They'll eventually figure that part out and our running game isn't exactly something to write home about right now.

Dawgology
09-24-2015, 09:15 AM
He's so awesome he didn't beat out JJ as starter. That should tell anyone everything they need to know.

msstate7
09-24-2015, 09:18 AM
It would be a tough loss for the year, but I'm not sure it constitutes a complete program failure. If Auburn happens to beat us they'll bounce back and win multiple more games. Surely they'll turn it around at some point. They can't continue to think they're playing two hand touch on defense. They'll eventually figure that part out and our running game isn't exactly something to write home about right now.

Well if there was ever a game to get the running game going, it's this week. Auburn is 14th in the sec in Rush defense

Dawgface
09-24-2015, 09:26 AM
The backup is always better when the 1st string guy fails. We all have had those thoughts in the past. Is this guy really good? I have no idea. But I bet their players will be pepped up due to the change. We need to be at our best to overcome their early enthusiasm.

Coach34
09-24-2015, 09:29 AM

they are without their best player on the DL- and have lost a starter for the year in what was already a weak Secondary. And now have a QB that has never taken a college snap. No excuses Saturday

BrunswickDawg
09-24-2015, 09:30 AM
He's so awesome he didn't beat out JJ as starter. That should tell anyone everything they need to know.

He's so good they are prepping Johnathan Wallace as his back up - the guy so bad he couldn't beat out Kiehl Frazier and Clint Mozeley

Coach34
09-24-2015, 09:30 AM
The hype the media gave Johnson over the summer was ridiculous. Kinda feel bad for the guy now that he's face-planted. To talk the guy up as a Heisman favorite after two halves of college football was just plain dumb.

Here's another profile on White:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/09/meet_auburn_new_quarterback_sean_white_accustomed_ to_underdog_role.html#incart_story_package

From AL.com, so be prepared for some unbridled enthusiasm about White's prospects. "Sources" sure are optimistic.

I still don't like that there's no film on the guy. Talking to an Auburn friend of mine and we both thought of Dak's first career start vs. an SEC team, which was at Auburn in 2013. During the first half of that game, the same Auburn friend texted me asking where the hell Dak came from. Auburn went on to win, but I'm guessing Ellis Johnson would've loved to have had more film on Dak and to have spent some time preparing for him. (As others have mentioned elsewhere, I too think I would've announced the decision at kickoff if I was Malzahn.)

Here's hoping Diaz confuses the hell out of the kid and our front seven can get some pressure on him fast enough to disrupt what I assume will be lots of short, quick passes.

Difference was that Dakota was a R-Soph when he made that start and had already throw 4 TD passes as a Freshman. This guy hasn't played one snap

civildawg
09-24-2015, 09:31 AM
I completely agree. If we lose this game, I will be officially off the Mullen bandwagon.

Lloyd Christmas
09-24-2015, 09:33 AM
they are without their best player on the DL- and have lost a starter for the year in what was already a weak Secondary. And now have a QB that has never taken a college snap. No excuses Saturday

Agreed zero excuses for a loss on Saturday.

Liverpooldawg
09-24-2015, 09:40 AM

Yep, not to mention it's never been easy for us down on the plains. To call our program a failure if we don't win down there is way over the top.

Prediction? Pain.
09-24-2015, 09:41 AM
Difference was that Dakota was a R-Soph when he made that start and had already throw 4 TD passes as a Freshman. This guy hasn't played one snap

Very true. Dak had played in spots throughout 2012 and started against Alcorn the week before, so they did have something to go on, even if they were uncertain about him playing. (I recall him being announced as a starter at kickoff against Auburn, and that Mullen had said during the week that he believed Russell would play. My memory sucks, though, so that could be wrong.)

preachermatt83
09-24-2015, 09:45 AM

Agreed!

ShotgunDawg
09-24-2015, 09:49 AM
I completely agree. If we lose this game, I will be officially off the Mullen bandwagon.

What?

I agree that there are no excuses if we lose Saturday, but your completely off the Mullen bandwagon if we lose? That's seems a little drastic to me.

I'm not sure what you do for living, but, if you were a Dr., pretend that everyone watched you do surgery on TV everyday. You think they would find issues? Mistakes? 17Ups?

Here is a comment by a Bama fan this morning about Saban this morning. Think about this

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPrCKtBUkAIE5ZU.png

basedog
09-24-2015, 09:53 AM

Not to worry, we win this game!

Coach34
09-24-2015, 09:57 AM
I stand by what I said. We have at least 6 draft picks in April. Best QB in school history. A really good WR group against a weak Secondary.

No excuses for losing this game

Lloyd Christmas
09-24-2015, 10:00 AM
I stand by what I said. We have at least 6 draft picks in April. Best QB in school history. A really good WR group against a weak Secondary.

It really is that simple. This is a f**kin terrible Auburn team too.

msstate7
09-24-2015, 10:01 AM

I agree. We lose and I'm ready for Malik and sword

Tbonewannabe
09-24-2015, 10:06 AM
Is this guy the polish rifle son?

defiantdog
09-24-2015, 10:17 AM
White won't be the only person lined up at qb on Saturday. Expect a lot of trickery and wildcat formations.

HSVDawg
09-24-2015, 10:32 AM
A complete program failure would be going 6-6 or 5-7 this season, which would be exactly where we would be headed if we can't win this game. This Auburn team is not good. Not even a little bit.

Jack Lambert
09-24-2015, 10:54 AM
Agreed!

Some how or some way Auburn will find a way to win at home. The chains being short. Gus being able to hear our play calling over their head phones. Something will happen. To keep it from happening we need to beat them by at lest 20. If it is close just drop your pants and bend over.

BossDawg
09-24-2015, 10:56 AM
The backup is always better when the 1st string guy fails.

That's what I'm worried about, that he's gonna come out and light the field up like a box of dynamite. If it was any other team he'd come out and throw 4 interceptions, have 3 fumbles, 8 bad snaps and go 5-30 or some crap like that.

Dental Dawg33
09-24-2015, 11:08 AM

^^^^

Liverpooldawg
09-24-2015, 11:11 AM
I don't expect to win this game. We may, but we haven't looked good enough this year to go down there and EXPECT a win. Pump the brakes a bit here guys.

civildawg
09-24-2015, 11:22 AM
What?

I agree that there are no excuses if we lose Saturday, but your completely off the Mullen bandwagon if we lose? That's seems a little drastic to me.

I'm not sure what you do for living, but, if you were a Dr., pretend that everyone watched you do surgery on TV everyday. You think they would find issues? Mistakes? 17Ups?

Here is a comment by a Bama fan this morning about Saban this morning. Think about this

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPrCKtBUkAIE5ZU.png

Well when you make 4 million dollars a year and you cant beat a dumpster fire team this year with our best qb in history.Yeah I will be off the bandwagon, I dont care if it's drastic or not.

BulldogBear
09-24-2015, 11:49 AM

Agreed. If we do not ATTACK him I'll start questioning Manny 2.0 for the first time.

Really Clark?
09-24-2015, 12:08 PM
Agreed. If we do not ATTACK him I'll start questioning Manny 2.0 for the first time.

I actually would like to mix it up. Make him think attack and confuse him and drop into coverage. Attack when he thinks we are playing straight. Just get him uncomfortable from the physical attack and the mental confusion.

starkvegasdawg
09-24-2015, 12:33 PM
Pimp the brakes a bit here guys.

Pimping ain't easy.

BulldogBear
09-24-2015, 12:38 PM
Pimping ain't easy.

I laughed

Liverpooldawg
09-24-2015, 12:46 PM
I just changed it before I read y'alls posts. I had hoped nobody noticed when I saw it. It was funny. I laughed too.

Dawg61
09-24-2015, 12:50 PM
Is Johnson the biggest preseason Heisman candidate bust ever? Certainly the quickest. 3 games ago he was a top ten odds favorite by Vegas to win. Now he has Opum from Saving Private Ryan starting over him. Ouch!

cubswillwinitonedaydawg
09-24-2015, 01:10 PM

Dak didn't beat out Relf or Russell for awhile, so I don't know if I would assume he is terrible. Different situation here, but still wouldn't base my feelings just on that.

cubswillwinitonedaydawg
09-24-2015, 01:12 PM
Is Johnson the biggest preseason Heisman candidate bust ever? Certainly the quickest. 3 games ago he was a top ten odds favorite by Vegas to win. Now he has Opum from Saving Private Ryan starting over him. Ouch!

I would say so. Kenny Trill was a crazy fall from grace too, but he got hype from week 1 not the preseason. Jevan Snead comes to mind too.

NCDawg
09-24-2015, 01:56 PM

I seem to recall a somewhat similar situation in Oxford last year-injured QB, not very good OL, and we had everything to play for. We all know what happened.

Coach34
09-24-2015, 02:02 PM
I seem to recall a somewhat similar situation in Oxford last year-injured QB, not very good OL, and we had everything to play for. We all know what happened.

Not close to similar- OM had the top D in the nation last year. Auburn's is far from it at 13th in the SEC. Wallace was also a 5th yr Sr- this guy hasnt taken one snap of college football

Dallas_Dawg
09-24-2015, 03:36 PM
A few of you need to quit being pussies and expect to win.
If the roles were reversed, how scared would you be starting a new unproven qb and having the worst defense in the league?

Dawg61
09-24-2015, 03:53 PM
If the roles were reversed, how scared would you be starting a new unproven qb and having the worst defense in the league?

Yea that's what's so confusing when you roam the Auburn boards. None of them are worried. Now go read the Arkansas boards and you'll see a fanbase that can actually judge their dumpster fire correctly. Auburn fans are clueless. They still don't realize they have a giant turd of a team yet.

Bothrops
09-24-2015, 03:57 PM
Most experienced qb in the SEC against a qb with zero experience, zilch = No excuses

Really Clark?
09-24-2015, 04:11 PM
Yea that's what's so confusing when you roam the Auburn boards. None of them are worried. Now go read the Arkansas boards and you'll see a fanbase that can actually judge their dumpster fire correctly. Auburn fans are clueless. They still don't realize they have a giant turd of a team yet.

Well except Tammy

NCDawg
09-24-2015, 04:15 PM

Which begs the question what do the bookies know that we don't? Why are we 1.5 underdogs?

Coach34
09-24-2015, 04:27 PM
Which begs the question what do the bookies know that we don't? Why are we 1.5 underdogs?

Considering it started at -4- that means alot of money has been put on us. But you have to remember- Auburn people bet too and they are betting on Auburn of course to keep it from going even lower

BrunswickDawg
09-24-2015, 04:41 PM

I don't know about that. I have a cousin that is an AU alum. He made a meme post with Kennan's "Fix it" character from SNL, and I made a crack about "Guess y'all forgot your regular fix - $180k annual mule rental check" and he went off on how he nnnneeevvveer talked like a butt hurt idiot to friends and family, yaw yaw yaw... Replied with a pic of Gus peeing on a dumpster fire. They are touchy because they see 2012 all over again staring them in the face.

I seen it dawg
09-24-2015, 05:13 PM
Had lunch with a former Aub Qb from Arkansas today. Said a Gus offense won't work except when they have a Nick Marshall type. They HAVE to be able to run effectively for it to work. He can't see this kid having any success Saturday even if the kid is Drew Brady. Also he said Gus was absolutely all-in on Mr. Heisman before the season and to make a change for him the wheels are absolutely flying off.

mic
09-24-2015, 05:16 PM
Had lunch with a former Aub Qb from Arkansas today. Said a Gus offense won't work except when they have a Nick Marshall type. They HAVE to be able to run effectively for it to work. He can't see this kid having any success Saturday even if the kid is Drew Brady. Also he said Gus was absolutely all-in on Mr. Heisman before the season and to make a change for him the wheels are absolutely flying off.

All aboard the Gus Bus....

msstate7
09-24-2015, 05:18 PM
Delete

DancingRabbit
09-24-2015, 05:22 PM
Considering it started at -4- that means alot of money has been put on us. But you have to remember- Auburn people bet too and they are betting on Auburn of course to keep it from going even lower

Now it's back up to -3.

Aubies going all-in for the new kid.

mewrite
09-24-2015, 05:26 PM
Had lunch with a former Aub Qb from Arkansas today. Said a Gus offense won't work except when they have a Nick Marshall type.

Chris Todd in 2009 would disagree with this statement. Go back and look at his stats, and he did pretty good. Almost no runs but ok passing stats. The big difference was their running game. Tate and McCaleb were that team.

Really Clark?
09-24-2015, 05:40 PM
Chris Todd in 2009 would disagree with this statement. Go back and look at his stats, and he did pretty good. Almost no runs but ok passing stats. The big difference was their running game. Tate and McCaleb were that team.

They were an 8-5 team in the first year. He was good but I think what they are talking about is being a contender, like they were touted this year, in this league they had to have a true dual threat from the QB position. Can they make a run with a pocket passer? That's the question and they haven't been able to really do that in this league. Win 8 games, yes they have done that but not be a contender and have that offense running at its full potential.

I seen it dawg
09-24-2015, 06:03 PM

I give a shit about any of that nor am I going back to look at anything. I'm relaying from a person from Arkansas which is Gus roots and played QB at Auburn. Notice all the "he said" in my post. I didn't just pull all this shit out of my ass and act like it was all my knowledge.