PDA

View Full Version : After watching Ok St's offense this is what i came up with.

Coach 57
07-21-2013, 08:44 AM
They are somewhat similar to us. But their starting QB (Chelf) does what I am sure Mullen would like Tyler to do. He is not fast (probably similar 40 to Tyler) but reads blocks decently well. When the pocket breaks down he doesn't hesitate to take off. Well coached. Their offensive passing game is similar to ours. They use alot of underneath stuff and intermediate routes. One big plus for us is the RB they had is gone. And I think he may have finished tops in Big 12 rushing. They are very balanced (or try to be). They have play makers at WR and it is really hard to disrupt the rhythm of their passing game with pressure because they use alot of underneath stuff (quick maybe 2 step drops). But they aren't unstoppable at all. I like what Kansas & K state did to them defensively. They used a Cover 2 and tackled VERY well in space (Kansas only gave up 20 pts). They keyed in on the run stopping and tackled well in space to prevent a 5 yd stop from turning into a 55yd TD (much like Texas & Ok gave up). I know alot of you guys aren't going to like this but we are going to have to drop unto a zone quite a but in this game as our CBs are green. We will run a mix of man & zone. But interiorly we must create havok! It starts there FIRST! If we can seal the "A" & "B" gaps with our front 4 it will take away the plays they love to run which are dives, blast, belly & qb draws. The play that scares ME the most is the one Relf ran so well for us (they run it well too) the QB draw. The OGs are Srs. And on this play they are crucial and them having experience at those spots is good for them. We MUST first stop the run with no more than 5. But I would love (I'm sure Collins is thinking the same) to stop it with JUST our 4.

Here is what I would like to see.
1.) Tackle....tackle....tackle WELL!
2.) Hit QB hard every single time he either drops back or keeps
3.) Stop run with no more than 5 in our Cover 2 base
4.) Hope CBs are ready to get after it
5.) Don't get discouraged if the score early & often. This WILL be a TEXAS SHOOTOUT!

BogeyGolfer
07-21-2013, 09:14 AM
Although historically Mullen's teams have not matched up well with explosive offenses. Houston in 09', Arkansas in 11', Auburn in 11' and A&M last year come to mind. One reason we didn't have success in the secondary last year was the fact that we didn't have a pass rush and I think we are average at LB this year as well. We need to see more of Wells because he moves well side to side and tackles very well. I don't want to give too much away because I will be posting my 2013 prediction thread on this board as well....We will struggle if we have to play catch up.

Political Hack
07-21-2013, 10:54 AM
We can't drop 6 into zone coverage and expect to stop the run consistently. They don't get impatient. Gundy will take 5-6 yards a pop all day if that's what's working. They force you to play man up by getting into a good rhythm and then they attack the matchups. I think our CBs have to play man up from the start with some cover 2, but I also expect to see 5 in the backfield early. No way to win this game without mixing it up and bringing pressure. We have to stop the run and hit the QB... sacks and knockdowns. Otherwise it's going to be a long afternoon.

ckDOG
07-21-2013, 11:57 AM
Good analysis. But let's make this real simple. The best way to stop OSUs offense is to keep them off the field. If our o line can dominate and control the pace of the game, we will frustrate them and force them to make mistakes by being impatient. Senior QB, plus experienced line, plus solid stable of backs, equals long clock eating drives. Whichever offense dictates the pace of the game wins this one.

Coach34
07-21-2013, 12:00 PM
We have to make it a "line of scrimmage" game

Our OL has to get some push and create some running lanes
Our DL has to control the run and force them into some longer situations- as well as get a few sacks

If those things happen- we will win

MSUDawg4Life
07-21-2013, 12:05 PM
That helps, but Coach57 is right in that, when they are on the field, stopping the run and wrapping up tackles are going to be critical. Mixing up the defense will help a lot too.

Another thing I noticed is, if my memory serves me correctly, in four of the five games they lost they had four or more turnovers. In three of those games, they were starting a new QB. We won't have the benefit of that because two of those three QBs return. Turnovers will be key though. The defense has to find ways to get the football.

AROB44
07-21-2013, 12:47 PM
I just hope we tackle well. Is it just me.....I thought we were not a good tackling team last year.

msstate7
07-21-2013, 12:52 PM
I just hope we tackle well. Is it just me.....I thought we were not a good tackling team last year.

We were horrible at tackling last year.

CadaverDawg
07-21-2013, 01:01 PM
I think everyone is right in this thread. To beat a good team we have to do all of these things. In my opinion, football can be boiled down to running the ball and stopping the run. If we can do those things, good things will happen. In my opinion, what killed us vs A&M and good passing teams in the past, is that we couldn't stop the run with 5 guys, which only made their passing games THAT much more effective bc we had to cover them with less men in the secondary. So I think what 57 says is very true. We run the ball and stop the run, we will score and get turnovers and we will win. Force them into 2nd and 3rd and long, and that will lead to sacks, turnovers, punts, and a win.

Goat Holder
07-21-2013, 09:16 PM
historically Mullen's teams have not matched up well with explosive offenses. Houston in 09', Arkansas in 11', Auburn in 11' and A&M last year come to mind.

Interesting point you bring up. Notice that you don't have any example from 2010 here? The reason why is because we had a competent DC in Diaz. Auburn with Cam, Arkansas with Petrino, Houston with Sumlin (albeit without Keenum), and we held them all in check. Hopefully we have that again this year.

One reason we didn't have success in the secondary last year

Our defensive woes last year can just about all be attributed to Wilson being a dumbass and not having Fletcher Cox to cover it all up.

blacklistedbully
07-21-2013, 09:22 PM
Wilson = B12 defense. Who here admires the way the B12 plays defense?

Maroonthirteen
07-22-2013, 10:06 AM
Considering their offense over the past few years, how our defense performed last year and what we have coming back on defense..........they will truck us. We will have to score 30+ points. Which again considering how last year end, I don't see that either out of our offense. I hope I am dead wrong. Maybe since it is early in the season, their offense will be out of sync and the ole "defense is ahead of the offense" will keep things close.

blacklistedbully
07-22-2013, 10:36 AM
Considering their offense over the past few years, how our defense performed last year and what we have coming back on defense..........they will truck us. We will have to score 30+ points. Which again considering how last year end, I don't see that either out of our offense. I hope I am dead wrong. Maybe since it is early in the season, their offense will be out of sync and the ole "defense is ahead of the offense" will keep things close.

The defense will look & play much better under Collins than it did under Wilson. Our problems from last year were far more "scheme-related" than "personnel-related". I also expect us to be better offensively if Dak makes a complete recovery from his injury. Russell will be improved and Dak will see more playing time, making it challenging for opposing defenses to prepare and handle us. I fully expect the coaches to improve on their awful play-calling from last year, with more of the playbook open this time around. Though we lost WR's it is entirely possible this crop will be better overall. The guys we lost were solid, but not great.

FISHDAWG
07-22-2013, 10:36 AM
their RB - can't remember his name but he wore #1 was a junior last year (and a pretty good back) ... did he get drafted early ?

Ghost of Hank Flick
07-22-2013, 10:45 AM
The defense will look & play much better under Collins than it did under Wilson. Our problems from last year were far more "scheme-related" than "personnel-related". I also expect us to be better offensively if Dak makes a complete recovery from his injury. Russell will be improved and Dak will see more playing time, making it challenging for opposing defenses to prepare and handle us. I fully expect the coaches to improve on their awful play-calling from last year, with more of the playbook open this time around. Though we lost WR's it is entirely possible this crop will be better overall. The guys we lost were solid, but not great.

I agree. Our D-line should have an advantage over their OL. That may not mean a bunch of sacks and QB knockdowns since they like to through quick routes, but if we can stuff the running game with the front 4 like C57 suggest, then the LBs can play in coverage more, which would help out tremendously considering the [perceived] disadvantage we have at DB vs. their WR.

And to your point on our WR - this is the first time many of them have had a true WR coach since they've been in Starkville (I don't know that Hud was a true WR coach).

Coach34
07-22-2013, 10:51 AM

two things:

1. What does last year's offense have to do with this year's? We have 7 starters returning on offense. At every other school in NCAA football- that's considered a good thing. Every coach in the nation would love to have 6 starters returning on the OL.

2. What does last year's defense have to do with this year's? We were young on DL for the most part and it showed. Most other schools in the nation consider it a strength to have 4 guys playing DT that are 4-star players. Only 2 SEC teams have 2 LB's on the Bednarik Watch List (the nation's best LB). We didnt have that last year. The fact that only us and Bama have that should tell you something about our talent at LB.

Coach34
07-22-2013, 10:52 AM
their RB - can't remember his name but he wore #1 was a junior last year (and a pretty good back) ... did he get drafted early ?

their starting RB from last year is now a Dallas Cowboy- not Ok State Cowboy

Maroonthirteen
07-22-2013, 01:27 PM
1. You have the same players coming back, less Bumphis. When a play had to be made last year, Bumphis made it or it didn't happen. Yeah, the OL and Rbs may improve this year with another year of experience and strength training. However, they were not trending up as last year concluded. If we had played the last 5 games tough, close and lost. I would agree. But we got our asses kicked. It leaves me skeptical for this season.

2. Again, same players as last year that could not get any pass rush and a LB corp that was soft. Again maybe another of experience and working out helps. But again, that was not the trend in the last few games. In the secondary, a safety that was a step late on Moncreif every damn play.

With all that said though, I really believe we get better this year. However OK State has put up a lot of points in every game they have played. They will get theirs regardless of our defensive improvement. Maybe not as many as they could have vs US in a bowl last year but they still score around 30. I just dont know if we can score 4+ TDs.

Coach34
07-22-2013, 02:26 PM
[quote] You have the same players coming back, less Bumphis. When a play had to be made last year, Bumphis made it or it didn't happen. Yeah, the OL and Rbs may improve this year with another year of experience and strength training. However, they were not trending up as last year concluded. If we had played the last 5 games tough, close and lost. I would agree. But we got our asses kicked. It leaves me skeptical for this season. [quote]

How did you feel after the Egg Bowl in 2008? We werent trending upward with those players either. Sherrod gave up 4-5 sacks in that game by himself. But he certainly improved the next 2 seasons didn't he? Common sense tells you that players get better with time.
We started 2 Sophs and a R-Fr most of the time last year on the OL.
Day is on the Remington Watch list.
Jackson is projected as a 2nd round pick right now.
Siddoway played with plantar facitis the whole season last year.
Malone is going to be a beast
Our RB's after Perkins were Freshmen

We are also making changes to the O to help use Russell's skill set better. Hard not to be excited about the offense.

If you still want to talk last year though, keep this in mind:

Total Defense 2012 (NCAA Rank)

Alabama- 1st in country
Texas A&M- 57th
LSU- 8th
OM- 46th
Northwestern- 47th

Oklahoma State???? 80th

[quote] Again, same players as last year that could not get any pass rush and a LB corp that was soft. Again maybe another of experience and working out helps. But again, that was not the trend in the last few games. In the secondary, a safety that was a step late on Moncreif every damn play.[quote]

Autry was adjusting from juco- and had to learn to do something besides speed rush. He was pretty good the last 4 games
Smith was inexplicably behind Eulls- he had 4.5 sacks in limited action- he will be a force in the pass rush in 2013
Chris Jones should help later in the season
Ryan Brown was a Freshman- he will be much improved
AJ Jefferson rounds out talented group.

This group will be much improved- but if you notice- is still young and will continue to get better.

Scheme makes a big difference also. I think you will see a big difference this year- much like we did from 2009-2010.

That 2009 defense finished 58th in the country in total D- (2012 was 52nd)- think about the players we had? Chris White, KJ Wright, Josh Boyd, Pernell McPhee, Fletcher Cox, Charles Mitchell, Jon Banks, etc. What changed in 2010? A new scheme and another year of maturity

How people cant see things like this is beyond me

The Croom Diaries
07-22-2013, 02:54 PM
1. You have the same players coming back, less Bumphis. When a play had to be made last year, Bumphis made it or it didn't happen. Yeah, the OL and Rbs may improve this year with another year of experience and strength training. However, they were not trending up as last year concluded. If we had played the last 5 games tough, close and lost. I would agree. But we got our asses kicked. It leaves me skeptical for this season.

2. Again, same players as last year that could not get any pass rush and a LB corp that was soft. Again maybe another of experience and working out helps. But again, that was not the trend in the last few games. In the secondary, a safety that was a step late on Moncreif every damn play.

With all that said though, I really believe we get better this year. However OK State has put up a lot of points in every game they have played. They will get theirs regardless of our defensive improvement. Maybe not as many as they could have vs US in a bowl last year but they still score around 30. I just dont know if we can score 4+ TDs.

I'll just assume you are a casual fan and let your asshole heal from the new one Coach just ripped you.

CadaverDawg
07-22-2013, 03:41 PM

On top of what Coach said, which pretty much said it all....We beat the dog shit out of Arkansas and that was in our last 5 games I believe. Just sayin.

Coach 57
07-22-2013, 09:49 PM
I would like to add to what C34 is saying by saying that whenever Quay was in the game (btw a TRUE freshman) he was a HANDFUL even for the mighty Bama Tiders' Barrett Jones. Then interior of our DL has a coach the specializes in this aspect which will make guys like PJ, Quay, Nick, Virges and others flourish. This game is won from the inside out. We have an advantage with our DTs. You guys will see what I already HAVE seen. And it will be wonderfully explosive.

FlabLoser
07-22-2013, 10:09 PM
Agree on Quay.

Any scope on the current conditioning of The Quay and Nick James? James wasn't in so great of shape the first half of last season. He looked more trim for the bowl game.

Coach34
07-22-2013, 10:23 PM
Agree on Quay.

Any scope on the current conditioning of The Quay and Nick James? James wasn't in so great of shape the first half of last season. He looked more trim for the bowl game.

Quay looked like an animal in the last pic I saw. Cant speak for James

Will James
07-22-2013, 10:50 PM
Quay looked like an animal in the last pic I saw. Cant speak for James

My brother Nick needs to realize his potential playing beside Quay. $$$$$$