PDA

View Full Version : Fall Ball Update?

bulldogcountry1
09-23-2015, 07:07 AM
Can some folks give a summary of fall ball so far? What stands out? Newcomers making an impact?

I have been seeing enough so far to know that Rooker is still raking and Alexander is playing good defense. Where is he playing?

What's up with Collins? I thought he was healthy but haven't seen his name in any box scores.

Any returners playing a new position?

It looks like Humpreys hasn't found a bat that he's comfortable with yet...

MsStateBaseball
09-23-2015, 08:15 AM
I go over this on my Facebook page. I went this past Saturday . All the new hitters have been good. New pitchers are still at it. Several of them will play. Collins practicing at catcher but scrimmaging at 3B. He hasn't batted yet.

I say we will have a great team in 2016. Could be as good as 2013.

Homedawg
09-23-2015, 08:49 AM
Can some folks give a summary of fall ball so far? What stands out? Newcomers making an impact?

I have been seeing enough so far to know that Rooker is still raking and Alexander is playing good defense. Where is he playing?

What's up with Collins? I thought he was healthy but haven't seen his name in any box scores.

Any returners playing a new position?

It looks like Humpreys hasn't found a bat that he's comfortable with yet...

Alexander is going to be a factor. He's playing ss, also working some at third in drills. Reynolds is working in the outfield some. Team looks much better getting off the bus, very physical bunch.

Taco
09-23-2015, 09:05 AM
Who's hitting the long ball?

Johnson85
09-23-2015, 09:25 AM
I say we will have a great team in 2016. Could be as good as 2013.

How often is there a turnaround like that in college baseball? Is there usually a team in the college world series that didn't make the tournament the year before? How many 1 or 2 seeds are there usually that weren't in the tournament the year before?

Saltydog
09-23-2015, 09:36 AM
nt

Bama_Dawg
09-23-2015, 09:42 AM
Getting amped up for baseball this year and I hope we can compete like back in 2013. As long as Cohen doesn't go all "We've got a guy on...let's bunt him over..."

If the team is as good as we are hearing, the reigns should come off and let 'em play.

bulldogcountry1
09-23-2015, 10:44 AM
How many HRs were hit in fall ball last year? Seems like only a couple.

We have 4-5 already this fall.

smootness
09-23-2015, 11:25 AM
How often is there a turnaround like that in college baseball? Is there usually a team in the college world series that didn't make the tournament the year before? How many 1 or 2 seeds are there usually that weren't in the tournament the year before?

First team I checked was UCLA. They were the CWS runner-up in 2010 and won 51 games after missing the tournament with an under-.500 record the year before. They won 45 games this past year and were the #1 overall seed (though they didn't make it out of the regional) after missing the tournament with an under-.500 record the year before.

I would imagine it's not extremely common, but it definitely happens.

MsStateBaseball
09-23-2015, 05:03 PM
With the solid addition of Nathaniel Lowe at 1B I think we are set and in for a great year. Junior dominated lineups are good. And w 8-10 new pitchers plus the junior pitchers who are really good now, I just think we can go far. The talent level has dramatically increased. Barfield, Lowe, Gordon, Hump, Rooker, Collins all with HR power. A few the others can hit too.

Todd4State
09-23-2015, 06:11 PM
Alexander is going to be a factor. He's playing ss, also working some at third in drills. Reynolds is working in the outfield some. Team looks much better getting off the bus, very physical bunch.

Yep. His glove is there. It's just a question of how quickly he will adjust to SEC pitching as far as impact.

Todd4State
09-23-2015, 06:22 PM
I think Hudson and Sexton are definite weekend guys. Not sure who the third starter is going to be- do we go with Tatum who is a LHP for variety, Breaux a LHP who is a freshman, or Zac Houston who is throwing in the low-mid 90's? Daniel Brown is a darkhorse for the third spot, but I think he ends up in the bullpen most likely.

Catcher is a question mark kind of- Lovelady, Kruger, and Marrero all could potentially start. Lovelady is elite defensively and really quick behind the plate but he is not much of a hitter. Marrero is the most talented, but I'm not sure if he is ready yet. It wouldn't surprise me if he is. My guess is we go with Lovelady.

I think the infield is going to be Lowe at first, Gridley at second, Collins at third, and Alexander at SS. Our MIF should be sick defensively. I like Collins at third because it helps us defensively behind the plate, and I think he is at least as good if not better than what Reynolds would have given us.

Our OF should have Humphreys, Robson, and Rooker starting. Humphreys needs to shit or get off the pot. Robson is one of the best hitters in the SEC and probably the best bunter. I think Rooker busts out this year. I like Michael Smith and Cody Brown too- this group should help our bench depth.

I think Luke Reynolds DH's because he can freaking hit. I don't think he will hit a ton of home runs (depending on what we do with the RF fence) but he's a guy that will hit .300 for us and take good at bats. I hope he can hit a few more doubles than last year.

Homedawg
09-23-2015, 08:20 PM
Gordon and Lowe are going to battle it out at first. No one has made that jump yet to say I'm the guy. Early on holland, gridley and Alexander will split the middle stuff. I think Collins does end up at third- at least the majority of the time.

Todd4State
09-24-2015, 12:22 AM
Gordon and Lowe are going to battle it out at first. No one has made that jump yet to say I'm the guy. Early on holland, gridley and Alexander will split the middle stuff. I think Collins does end up at third- at least the majority of the time.

Yeah- Holland has been hurt though. So I don't really know where he stands at the moment in that group.

bulldogcountry1
09-24-2015, 07:14 AM
I think Hudson and Sexton are definite weekend guys. Not sure who the third starter is going to be- do we go with Tatum who is a LHP for variety, Breaux a LHP who is a freshman, or Zac Houston who is throwing in the low-mid 90's? Daniel Brown is a darkhorse for the third spot, but I think he ends up in the bullpen most likely.

Catcher is a question mark kind of- Lovelady, Kruger, and Marrero all could potentially start. Lovelady is elite defensively and really quick behind the plate but he is not much of a hitter. Marrero is the most talented, but I'm not sure if he is ready yet. It wouldn't surprise me if he is. My guess is we go with Lovelady.

I think the infield is going to be Lowe at first, Gridley at second, Collins at third, and Alexander at SS. Our MIF should be sick defensively. I like Collins at third because it helps us defensively behind the plate, and I think he is at least as good if not better than what Reynolds would have given us.

Our OF should have Humphreys, Robson, and Rooker starting. Humphreys needs to shit or get off the pot. Robson is one of the best hitters in the SEC and probably the best bunter. I think Rooker busts out this year. I like Michael Smith and Cody Brown too- this group should help our bench depth.

I think Luke Reynolds DH's because he can freaking hit. I don't think he will hit a ton of home runs (depending on what we do with the RF fence) but he's a guy that will hit .300 for us and take good at bats. I hope he can hit a few more doubles than last year.

So is Collins definitely out at catcher?

Homedawg
09-24-2015, 07:29 AM

No, but he's coming off a second hand surgery, and isn't catching yet. He gives us a lot more pop at the 3rd than we've had, assuming he can defend well enough. And based on what I've seen, he's fine there.

Fighting4dawgs
09-24-2015, 10:37 AM

You are missing the boat big time on one position according to results from scrimmages and practices! You might want to check the total stats including Hr's and 0 errors from one particular kid at 3 different positions. Just saying! I know a guy that knows a guy that has a sister that knows a guy!:cool:

Backspin
09-24-2015, 01:26 PM
You are missing the boat big time on one position according to results from scrimmages and practices! You might want to check the total stats including Hr's and 0 errors from one particular kid at 3 different positions. Just saying! I know a guy that knows a guy that has a sister that knows a guy!:cool:

I guess the people from the great state of Alabama spell upon as "apon"....? Hunter Stovall is an outstanding player Mr. Stovall and will be a great contributor to the Bulldog baseball program!

Fighting4dawgs
09-24-2015, 04:03 PM
I guess the people from the great state of Alabama spell upon as "apon"....? Hunter Stovall is an outstanding player Mr. Stovall and will be a great contributor to the Bulldog baseball program!

I know his dad well! That's a pretty good complement thank you. Just trying to add some input on someone Todd didn't mention sorry you feel the need to act like you know who someones dad is! Great family, His dad will probably be at the scrimmages this weekend look him up if you really want to know him and then you can speak of him like you know who he is instead of who you think he is on a message board! Hailstate!

Todd4State
09-24-2015, 06:35 PM

I wouldn't say definitely, but I expect him to play a lot more third base than catcher. It's just easier on Collins body and it improves us defensively.

Todd4State
09-24-2015, 06:36 PM

I think Stovall will play some and if he produces he will find a spot in the lineup.

Homedawg
09-24-2015, 06:49 PM
Stovall is going to play- and going to be a great player here too. He's got a lot of swagger to him.

MsStateBaseball
09-24-2015, 07:36 PM
I think a lot of people will be surprised at the amount of talent we brought in. Stovall, Alexander, Zinn, Marrero on the infield. Tons of great pitching. Watch out for this team, lots of juniors with talented freshmen. Chance to be very good team.

smootness
09-24-2015, 07:57 PM
I think a lot of people will be surprised at the amount of talent we brought in. Stovall, Alexander, Zinn, Marrero on the infield. Tons of great pitching. Watch out for this team, lots of juniors with talented freshmen. Chance to be very good team.

Indeed. The ridiculous thing is, if we had figured out a way to get Riley to campus, he would have been one of the best players in the country immediately.

He was ranked yesterday as the #2 prospect in the Appalachian League this year, behind only Kyle Tucker and ahead of Daz Cameron. He's legit, more legit than any of us even knew. He would have raked here from day one.

engie
09-24-2015, 08:00 PM
Stovall is going to play- and going to be a great player here too. He's got a lot of swagger to him.

Same thing I was going to say. He seems to hav an "it" factor that has been missing lately...

Backspin
09-24-2015, 08:02 PM
I know his dad well! That's a pretty good complement thank you. Just trying to add some input on someone Todd didn't mention sorry you feel the need to act like you know who someones dad is! Great family, His dad will probably be at the scrimmages this weekend look him up if you really want to know him and then you can speak of him like you know who he is instead of who you think he is on a message board! Hailstate!

For "a guy who knows a guy who knows a sister who knows a guy" you know the family well....kudos to you!! No pretending to know Mr Stovall here fella...and no reason to thank me...I complimented Hunter and not you. The compliment I paid was more than "pretty good" for a freshman. I know a little about baseball and talent. I know very well what a freshman college baseball player goes through and the challenges he faces both mentally and physically.

engie
09-24-2015, 08:04 PM
Indeed. The ridiculous thing is, if we had figured out a way to get Riley to campus, he would have been one of the best players in the country immediately.

He was ranked yesterday as the #2 prospect in the Appalachian League this year, behind only Kyle Tucker and ahead of Daz Cameron. He's legit, more legit than any of us even knew. He would have raked here from day one.

People had a pretty good idea how legit he could be... That said, the first couple months after the signing bonus in short season are some of the most stress-free the elite guys(big bonuses) ever see in the post high school game. IMO you can't take much from it until the first full season...

MsStateBaseball
09-24-2015, 08:09 PM
Collins needs to play 3B some. But moving Stovall there is great. I don't trust Spruill. Reynolds is up and down defensively. Marrero will be #2 catcher and start some, much better hitter than Lovelady. Jack Kruger is better than Lovelady. We got 4 solid or better catchers. I wish they would RS Kruger. You need to see a scrimmage and you will see Marrero. Very smooth defender and can switch hit. He is a 5 star recruit.

If we can assemble a bullpen, specifically strike out pitchers in big situations then we will be pretty good.

Todd4State
09-24-2015, 09:05 PM
Collins needs to play 3B some. But moving Stovall there is great. I don't trust Spruill. Reynolds is up and down defensively. Marrero will be #2 catcher and start some, much better hitter than Lovelady. Jack Kruger is better than Lovelady. We got 4 solid or better catchers. I wish they would RS Kruger. You need to see a scrimmage and you will see Marrero. Very smooth defender and can switch hit. He is a 5 star recruit.

If we can assemble a bullpen, specifically strike out pitchers in big situations then we will be pretty good.

I can buy Kruger being better offensively- not sure about defensively though. Granted I will say Kruger is the only player I haven't seen at some point in time play.