PDA

View Full Version : Why is Auburn's Football Program So Volatile?

ShotgunDawg
09-22-2015, 11:12 PM
Was just thinking about this today: Is there a more volatile football program than Auburn in not just the SEC but the entire country & does anyone have an answer as to why?

Alabama, LSU, & Georgia win 9+ games most every year & occasionally have an 8 win season.

Even MSU & Ole Miss have become somewhat consistent in winning 6+ games a year. However, for some reason, Auburn is the ultimate feast or famine program, & I don't have a clue why.

They haven't even been on probation... it's odd.

http://i.imgur.com/NIqJ8vC.jpg

Todd4State
09-22-2015, 11:46 PM
I do think it goes back to how they recruit. Odds are when you get that many prima donnas there is a good chance of it all crashing down at some point.

That's actually one thing I REALLY like about Dan. He nips that in the bud during the recruiting process and I think it has allowed us to be very stable with minimal "bad" roster turnover.

Auburn has or at least had a MAJOR problem with boosters meddling. See the Tuberville situation. If we had boosters forcing Dan to not take some two star guy like that Benardrick McKinney guy or Preston Smith- we would probably be in the same boat.

DancingRabbit
09-23-2015, 12:17 AM
I do think it goes back to how they recruit. Odds are when you get that many prima donnas there is a good chance of it all crashing down at some point.

That's actually one thing I REALLY like about Dan. He nips that in the bud during the recruiting process and I think it has allowed us to be very stable with minimal "bad" roster turnover.

Auburn has or at least had a MAJOR problem with boosters meddling. See the Tuberville situation. If we had boosters forcing Dan to not take some two star guy like that Benardrick McKinney guy or Preston Smith- we would probably be in the same boat.

I agree with you on this, and I believe Dan is a good judge of talent and character. But I think this carries over to his teaching methods, roster management and how he handles discipline. Dan probably has good reasons for decisions that people on the outside question, but those details are kept inside the room. Things like injuries, academic issues, practice effort, film study, etc.

It seems he's pretty good at developing talent/skills but also developing young men. We rarely hear about chemistry issues on the team.

JoseBrown
09-23-2015, 01:18 AM
I agree with you on this, and I believe Dan is a good judge of talent and character. But I think this carries over to his teaching methods, roster management and how he handles discipline. Dan probably has good reasons for decisions that people on the outside question, but those details are kept inside the room. Things like injuries, academic issues, practice effort, film study, etc.

It seems he's pretty good at developing talent/skills but also developing young men. We rarely hear about chemistry issues on the team.

So your saying he's the anti-Crooms... Mike Henig the next Brett Favre, Throwing players and fans under the bus continuously.

Hail State
09-23-2015, 01:40 AM
Was just thinking about this today: Is there a more volatile football program than Auburn in not just the SEC but the entire country & does anyone have an answer as to why?

Alabama, LSU, & Georgia win 9+ games most every year & occasionally have an 8 win season.

Even MSU & Ole Miss have become somewhat consistent in winning 6+ games a year. However, for some reason, Auburn is the ultimate feast or famine program, & I don't have a clue why.

They haven't even been on probation... it's odd.

http://i.imgur.com/NIqJ8vC.jpg

Auburn, just like Ole Miss, has a spiritual problem. A rotten culture. They spend their entire existence trying to keep up with their rival that it breeds an atmosphere of volatility that is not sustainable. The paying of players, the coverups, the providing of whores, the complete and total lack of discipline all culminates in what you see in Auburn this year. They were suppose to win the west. Now look at them. They're rotten from the inside out. I don't think Gus Malzahn is as privy to cheat as the patsy Gene Chizik but he's got no control over his boosters who would sell their own soul for a 200k rented mule.

And that goes double for Ole Miss. I mean they have a coach that loves to throw out Christianity whenever it suits him and now he's got their entire fan base toting the line that The Lord, Our God led them to victory over Alabama Saturday night. As far as SEC programs go, Ole Miss is the very antithesis of Christianity and Jesus Christ. Their whole schtick is "we're better than you" on a good day and hating blacks on a bad day. From riots and murders on campus in the sixties to theatre plays being halted and nooses on Meredith's statue in 2014, Ole Miss represents elitism and racism so well they'd make a slave master blush. Not even to mention today, where they have Tunsil withheld from play for receiving a free car, Laquon and his handful of hundreds, CJ and his white girls and God knows what else. But surely we can rest assure in the right reverend Hugh Freeze, that he wouldn't allow anything immoral to permeate his program. After all it's only natural to sign a top five class after finishing 7-6. Nothing to see here.

pilldawg
09-23-2015, 06:59 AM
Because they have the most meddling alumni fan base in College Football. The change in QB this week is probably a result of the heat Malzahn is feeling on the issue and not his true feelings regarding the situation.

Really Clark?
09-23-2015, 07:03 AM
Because they have the most meddling alumni fan base in College Football.

I think Texas might hold that title. Extended dumpster fire over there but definitely similarities in the two programs in that sense.

I seen it dawg
09-23-2015, 07:22 AM
Auburn, just like Ole Miss, has a spiritual problem. A rotten culture. They spend their entire existence trying to keep up with their rival that it breeds an atmosphere of volatility that is not sustainable. The paying of players, the coverups, the providing of whores, the complete and total lack of discipline all culminates in what you see in Auburn this year. They were suppose to win the west. Now look at them. They're rotten from the inside out. I don't think Gus Malzahn is as privy to cheat as the patsy Gene Chizik but he's got no control over his boosters who would sell their own soul for a 200k rented mule.

And that goes double for Ole Miss. I mean they have a coach that loves to throw out Christianity whenever it suits him and now he's got their entire fan base toting the line that The Lord, Our God led them to victory over Alabama Saturday night. As far as SEC programs go, Ole Miss is the very antithesis of Christianity and Jesus Christ. Their whole schtick is "we're better than you" on a good day and hating blacks on a bad day. From riots and murders on campus in the sixties to theatre plays being halted and nooses on Meredith's statue in 2014, Ole Miss represents elitism and racism so well they'd make a slave master blush. Not even to mention today, where they have Tunsil withheld from play for receiving a free car, Laquon and his handful of hundreds, CJ and his white girls and God knows what else. But surely we can rest assure in the right reverend Hugh Freeze, that he wouldn't allow anything immoral to permeate his program. After all it's only natural to sign a top five class after finishing 7-6. Nothing to see here.

Forgot Kimchee and his white boys...and bongs

TUSK
09-23-2015, 10:02 AM

This is correct... both literally and politically...

SallyStansbury
09-23-2015, 10:12 AM
risk exposure with both recruiting and coaching.

With exposure to risk comes boom and bust cycles....this is true in investing or football recruiting. Unless you are Bama or LSU and have the resources to just chug along and do your thing regardless, a mid-tier program like AU has to take risks to have a shot at winning it all. They have cheated their asses off and with the right combo of players and coaching accomplished their objectives. Props to them. Olemiss is following this same strategy. In the absence of penalty from the NCAA this is a justifiable strategy.

We have a very risk averse coach. As a long time MSU fan, I am very happy with 8 wins and a bowl game, but it would be nice to end up in the playoff, etc....I hope we can make whatever changes need to be made so that Mullen can lead us there.

Political Hack
09-23-2015, 10:22 AM
Miami was great despite all of the cultural issues, but every one of those guys loved to play football too. Think of the greats from there... Sap, Irvin, Ray Ray, Ed, Taylor, Vinny, Bernie. All those guys LOVED the game of football.

they also had great leadership on the field. Auburn doesn't have that this year.

ShotgunDawg
09-23-2015, 10:32 AM
We have a very risk averse coach. As a long time MSU fan, I am very happy with 8 wins and a bowl game, but it would be nice to end up in the playoff, etc....I hope we can make whatever changes need to be made so that Mullen can lead us there.

You nailed it.

I think this is what we love & don't love about Dan Mullen. He has absolutely built a program for stability, which is great, but does he have enough gambler in him to ever win a championship?