PDA

View Full Version : Any basketball news?

msstate7
09-22-2015, 08:32 PM
Are we practicing yet? Any word on how Malik looks? How's sword healing?

Political Hack
09-22-2015, 09:13 PM
Here's the update: We have a coach who can win and the talent to make it happen.

Coach34
09-22-2015, 09:18 PM
Privately- supposedly its been said lets get our ass in the Tourney this year and then the real recruiting begins.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-22-2015, 09:25 PM
Practice begins October 5th I believe. Malik is Malik he was born to score. Craig is pain free & ready to go. Our season depends on Gavin. He's gotten in the best shape of his life & the offense will flow through him. If he stays healthy & hungry he takes this team to the next level.

HoopsDawg
09-22-2015, 09:27 PM
Pretty unreal that Malik has increased his vertical 5 inches since coming to state. That is really hard to do.

msstate7
09-22-2015, 09:28 PM
Privately- supposedly its been said lets get our ass in the Tourney this year and then the real recruiting begins.

I think we're tourney bound. I haven't been this excited about basketball in a long time. Sword/Newman backcourt is gonna be fun

chef dixon
09-22-2015, 09:35 PM
Practice begins October 5th I believe. Malik is Malik he was born to score. Craig is pain free & ready to go. Our season depends on Gavin. He's gotten in the best shape of his life & the offense will flow through him. If he stays healthy & hungry he takes this team to the next level.

That's exactly what they said before each of the last two seasons. I just don't think he has it. Hope I'm wrong.

starkvegasdawg
09-22-2015, 09:38 PM
Are we practicing yet? Any word on how Malik looks? How's sword healing?

Nobody tore an ACL today.

msstate7
09-22-2015, 09:40 PM
Nobody tore an ACL today.

Well that's a plus

BeardoMSU
09-22-2015, 09:40 PM
That's exactly what they said before each of the last two seasons. I just don't think he has it. Hope I'm wrong.

Well, now that we finally have a staff that will teach him proper footwork, blocking out/rebounding technique, etc., I'm confident he'll be much improved.

Coach34
09-22-2015, 09:42 PM
He's got a sweet 15 foot jumper...he needs to perform better on the blocks

Harrydawg
09-22-2015, 09:46 PM
Newman is unstoppable......

Scores almost at will

Ifyouonlyknew
09-22-2015, 09:47 PM

If he doesn't this season won't be a success.

BeardoMSU
09-22-2015, 09:48 PM
If he doesn't this season won't be a success.

How are the other bigs looking?

Ifyouonlyknew
09-22-2015, 09:53 PM

Hurt

BeardoMSU
09-22-2015, 10:04 PM
Hurt

Wunderbar

messageboardsuperhero
09-22-2015, 10:20 PM

We will get to the tourney if we can get some good minutes from the bigs other than Ware. Backcourt is outstanding- frontcourt is not.

messageboardsuperhero
09-22-2015, 10:26 PM

There really aren't any... And the ones we do have are all hurt. We have had the shittiest luck with injuries:

Stapleton- Wouldn't have played but is out for a year with an ACL
Fallou- Just had surgery a month or so ago
Zuppardo- Should be close to recovering from his ACL
Strugg- Has had leg issues recently
Holman- Possibly out for the year
Daniels- Had a hernia a couple of months ago
Sword- Should be full go, but had surgery fairly recently

Political Hack
09-22-2015, 10:49 PM
If Zupp is fully recovered I expect him to be a major factor this year. Kid can score inside with either hand inside 8 feet. He's natural on offense and will help take pressure of off Ware so he can't take advantage of that 15 foot jump shot and not have to bump and grind for every basket he gets.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-22-2015, 10:52 PM
If Zupp is fully recovered I expect him to be a major factor this year. Kid can score inside with either hand inside 8 feet. He's natural on offense and will help take pressure of off Ware so he can't take advantage of that 15 foot jump shot and not have to bump and grind for every basket he gets.

Holman being out will give Zuppardo a chance to get some quality minutes. We'll see what he can do with it.

BankerDog
09-22-2015, 10:58 PM
Supposedly Q Weatherspoon is a stud. Has been almost unstoppable in the 3 on 3 games. It's usually him, Malik, and IJ vs Craig, Fred, and maybe Stapleton before he got hurt.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-22-2015, 11:00 PM
I really like Q. He has a very mature game for a young guy.

BeardoMSU
09-22-2015, 11:00 PM
Given how thin we'll be up front, I assume we'll be running quite a bit of 4 guard line-ups. Lots of slashin', cuttin', and treys?

Ifyouonlyknew
09-22-2015, 11:02 PM
Given how thin we'll be up front, I assume we'll be running quite a bit of 4 guard line-ups. Lots of slashin', cuttin', and treys?

We were going to be a small team anyway for the most part.

Newman, Sword, Thomas, Daniels, & Ware is the starting 5. We'll also see plenty of IJ & Malik in the backcourt together.

Indigo Wolf
09-22-2015, 11:12 PM
Pretty unreal that Malik has increased his vertical 5 inches since coming to state. That is really hard to do.

Probably using the BOING vert program that you keep seeing on the youtube advertisements. Haha

maroonmania
09-23-2015, 01:25 AM
Isn't Stapleton the transfer from La. Tech? He was going to have to sit out regardless but still hate he got hurt.

chef dixon
09-23-2015, 06:14 AM

Bump and grind is exactly what we need Ware to do. No one else is gonna do it and he hasn't been the best at it during his career.

KentuckyDawg13
09-23-2015, 08:01 AM
Holman getting hurt is a big negative...Howland was counting on him to help Ware. Now Daniels may be depended upon more so. We need Ndoye to be productive this season. No more passive play. Backcourt is going to be strong.

msugolf
09-23-2015, 08:08 AM
Hopefully he has a quick recovery and can come back around Christmas. Everything I've read says 3-4 months. I think if he can come back by SEC play you have to play him.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-23-2015, 08:22 AM
This is why i prefer ED over "other" MSU message boards. You can ask a question about basketball in football season and not get attacked and belittled. I am glad to get news of basketball. I am excited about the season for sure.

Liverpooldawg
09-23-2015, 08:26 AM
To get to the tourney we will have to find an inside game. We will see.

Dawg61
09-23-2015, 08:42 AM
Wow I forgot Zuppardo was on the team

Ifyouonlyknew
09-23-2015, 08:57 AM
Hopefully he has a quick recovery and can come back around Christmas. Everything I've read says 3-4 months. I think if he can come back by SEC play you have to play him.

I think it will be more late Jan/early Feb at the earliest you would see Holman. That's best case IMO.

msugolf
09-23-2015, 09:49 AM
If that's the case then we can make it work. There have been several teams recently that have played small and won. "Small ball" (don't worry baseball guys) has made a comeback recently in college and NBA and its exciting as heck if you have good guards.

preachermatt83
09-23-2015, 10:18 AM
Howland said in meridian recently that Fred Thomas is going to Suprise everyone.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
09-23-2015, 10:24 AM
I was reeally displeased to hear a/b Holman, but I also think Howland will make it work with a guard heavy roster. We have multiple 2s that can play the 3 & a 3 that can play Howland's 4. Ware & Daniels are very valuable pieces at this point, goes w/o saying we can't lose them.

Do we expect to get anything out of Strugg this year? If he can guard w/o fouling & block somebody out then that has to help, but he can't replace Daniels w/o changing styles. Will we see Houston coming in for Daniels before Strugg or Zupp?.

tcdog70
09-23-2015, 10:24 AM
i am just fired up knowing we will be able to set a pick.

Dawg61
09-23-2015, 01:23 PM
i am just fired up knowing we will be able to set a pick.

Lol BH called us the shittiest screening team he's ever seen when he first got here

tcdog70
09-23-2015, 02:43 PM
Lol BH called us the shittiest screening team he's ever seen when he first got here

I saw that--But I think some of us had already spotted that. if you can't teach your team to set a pick----well you know.

Irondawg
09-23-2015, 02:49 PM

Missed that but it's interesting. What I noticed is we didn't set great picks but are guys were even worse and running off of them properly. Glad to hear that's being fixed. Very interested to see how different we will look fundamentally.

32 Dive
09-23-2015, 04:29 PM
This thread, or one like it should be stickied, and procured to include the latest Fall Hoops news/rumors/knee replacements.

tcdog70
09-23-2015, 09:05 PM
Missed that but it's interesting. What I noticed is we didn't set great picks but are guys were even worse and running off of them properly. Glad to hear that's being fixed. Very interested to see how different we will look fundamentally.

That is what BH said. The whole running screens , nobody knew $hit. Also some players have terrible shooting fundamentals .. He is curing that.

Dawg61
09-23-2015, 10:28 PM
That is what BH said. The whole running screens , nobody knew $hit. Also some players have terrible shooting fundamentals .. He is curing that.

Yea he's made several comments about fixing their shooting and how much attention that's getting. This I am very excited about. Forever I've been asking for someone to teach the players how to shoot correctly and finally we have a coach doing exactly that. Howland is a ****ing grand slam hire!