PDA

View Full Version : Some perspective brought to you courtesy of 247

Coach34
07-20-2013, 10:08 PM
I know it's not a big problem on this board- most here are pretty realistic. But looking at other boards, you always see groups of people being pretty negative about the football program. I thought this guys post on 247 summed things up pretty well though:

""we've averaged 8 wins a year the past 3 years. This team is probably the most talented of the Mullen era, the 12' and 13' classes have been his best 2 classes by far, and he beats his biggest rival at a 75% clip...what else does the guy have to do???"

Made a lot of sense to me when he broke it down like that.

This is what I think about when other fanbases or media people try to say that Mullen is on the hotseat- I just want to say to them- "Are you just damn stupid????"

CadaverDawg
07-20-2013, 10:13 PM
Yep, if only our fans would learn to respond with this answer whenever an OM person tries to tell them we suck and Mullen has peaked

Todd4State
07-20-2013, 11:23 PM
The thing is, I think Dan is still building towards better things. I actually really like our class and the way it's shaping up. We're going to have several four star guys and even the guys that aren't well known like Liggins and Deshon Cooper have a really high upside despite this being a small class. I also think Dan getting in on Team USA football might turn out to be a stroke of genius in a couple of years.

One thing I've noticed is that Dan is getting guys that have good size and are really athletic. It also seems like we are getting guys that work hard as well.

messageboardsuperhero
07-21-2013, 12:43 AM
It makes total sense. The only basis for which Mullen has been questioned recently is that we didn't finish well last season and the media (and sadly our own fans for some reason) buy the propaganda coming from Oxford. It's all about perception, and your team's perception going into the offseason always exaggerates the reality of the situation, for better or for worse. The truth is we had a solid season last year; we beat the teams we should have beaten and lost to the teams who were supposed to beat us, except maybe the Egg Bowl (although a case can be made for that not being a big upset considering the home team has lost only once in the last 10 years, but that's not the point). I do wish that we would have shown more guts when we got down, but I've seen much worse out of State football teams than I saw last year. And with all the talk about how great UM's class was, we quietly put together our second straight top 20-25 class.

I also think we've got yet another strong class in the making. I know it won't be as highly ranked as the last two because it will be smaller, but while there isn't as much quantity, this class still has the same quality of players as the previous years. The talent level continues to rise. Anyone going all chicken little because of the way last season ended needs to step back and see the big picture. Yes, we had issues at the end of the year, but I believe Mullen and Co. were proactive in resolving these issues before they got out of control. As I've said before, Wilson was our Tyrone Nix, but the difference is we didn't get rid of him before it was too late.

And yes, anyone saying Mullen is on the hot seat is just trying to stir shit up.

ShotgunDawg
07-21-2013, 01:01 AM
What Coach posted is exactly correct, and here is the kicker: As well as Mullen has done, he has yet to run HIS offense with a competent QB that fits HIS system.

Let me say that again, Mullen has yet to run HIS offense with a competent QB that fits HIS system.

That changes forever, starting next year. Relf was a good QB, but hardly what Mullen envisioned when he came here. Mullen hasn't come close yet to making this program what it can be.

FlabLoser
07-21-2013, 01:13 AM
What Coach posted is exactly correct, and here is the kicker: As well as Mullen has done, he has yet to run HIS offense with a competent QB that fits HIS system.

Let me say that again, Mullen has yet to run HIS offense with a competent QB that fits HIS system.

That changes forever, starting next year. Relf was a 2-star SWAC QB that Mullen made serviceable in the SEC, but hardly what Mullen envisioned when he came here. Mullen hasn't come close yet to making this program what it can be.

Fixed that for you.

BeastMan
07-21-2013, 05:36 AM
@Shotgun

I agree with the QB part. On the flip side, it could be used against him as well. Granted, you'd sound like Barrett Sallee every year downing an MSU coach who has done nothing but win. Which we all realize is pretty irrational

The Croom Diaries
07-21-2013, 07:34 AM
Our fans, like many sports fans, are prisoners of the moment. They have no perspective because of the 3 block walls around them - they cant get past what just happened, only seeing whats right in front of them. They will absolutely freak out if OSU scores a touchdown on their opening drive and declare the game a loss. And they will completely forget about the crap they were saying in the summer by week 3.

Coach 57
07-21-2013, 07:42 AM
Croomdiaries is spot on. We live in a society that is soley a "what have you done for me lately" taste. Forget what he's done for the program & what he's done with unconventional recruiting? The guy knows his stuff, he's still a young coach. Give him his due respect.