PDA

View Full Version : your defensive adjustments

Coach007
09-22-2015, 02:39 PM
I think for this game, we need to move our olbs out more. We need to bring the heat early from the corners. Let the 4 man front handle the inside run. Pull the DL in tight. Shift them around.... Think cowboys back in the day.

There is Noway I let this new qb grasp anything we are doing.

HoopsDawg
09-22-2015, 02:45 PM
Disguise looks. A lot of pre-snap movement. Bring the heat!

Basically, the exact opposite of the Egg bowl game plan.

Pinto
09-22-2015, 02:45 PM
I'd play 3-4 with max outside contain and mix blitzes from the linebackers on the inside.

msugolf
09-22-2015, 02:53 PM
I fully expect to see the Rubbermaid defense in full force this weekend. Like corners playing 10 yards off, undisguised blitzes that get picked up, and several whiffed tackles on sweeps.

War Machine Dawg
09-22-2015, 02:57 PM
I'll let this this guy give you the adjustment I'd make:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el5QXV-W5_g

rbdog82
09-22-2015, 03:45 PM
I'll let this this guy give you the adjustment I'd make:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el5QXV-W5_g

Well played sir.

Todd4State
09-22-2015, 04:55 PM
More Gray and more Green- they BOTH have as many tackles EACH as Zach Jackson has right now.

bulldawg28
09-22-2015, 05:42 PM
More Gray and more Green- they BOTH have as many tackles EACH as Zach Jackson has right now.

This

Really Clark?
09-22-2015, 06:08 PM

Are you counting special team tackles?

Todd4State
09-22-2015, 07:59 PM
Are you counting special team tackles?

I'm going by what is on MSU's web site, so yes unless they split out special teams tackles. Doesn't make them any less impressive because it means they are making tackles when they play.

Really Clark?
09-22-2015, 08:05 PM
I'm going by what is on MSU's web site, so yes unless they split out special teams tackles. Doesn't make them any less impressive because it means they are making tackles when they play.

Well that's skewing the stats to make it sound like they are as productive on defense as Jackson with less plays. That's pretty misleading.

Lumpy Chucklelips
09-22-2015, 08:08 PM
Well that's skewing the stats to make it sound like they are as productive on defense as Jackson with less plays. That's pretty misleading.

You serious Clark?

Coach34
09-22-2015, 08:25 PM
Jackson is easily replaceable. Against Auburn I'd replace Jackson with Gray and play 3 Safeties- you have to adjust vs Spread teams. And I play Green and Harris- splitting them up with the Browns so we have a Brown on the field at all times plus the young Dawgs that are so talented.

Saturday is a money-making game for Jones and James. They got to create havoc

Really Clark?
09-22-2015, 08:26 PM
You serious Clark?

How else would you see it? Counting special teams tackles as equal to tackles made on defense? Gray's numbers are probably closer in defensive tackles. I know he played a good bit during the LSU game. But he has had some special teams tackles as well. Green I know in the USM game all of his solo tackles were on kickoff coverage. So how can someone say they are as productive on defense with less playing time when you are using stats from special teams? I'm not talking about ability or who should or should not play but at least use stats correctly.

Really Clark?
09-22-2015, 08:30 PM
Jackson is easily replaceable. Against Auburn I'd replace Jackson with Gray and play 3 Safeties- you have to adjust vs Spread teams. And I play Green and Harris- splitting them up with the Browns so we have a Brown on the field at all times plus the young Dawgs that are so talented.

Saturday is a money-making game for Jones and James. They got to create havoc

Don't disagree mostly. But Gray has already been playing more and played a good bit against LSU if I remember correctly. I do think the spread teams you have to be different. Jackson did pretty well against LSU didn't he? Trying to remember him having a really bad play. Gray missed a tackle I think. But would have to check. Might have been Jackson. Or several of our other guys.

Coach34
09-22-2015, 08:44 PM
Jackson screwed up on both long runs by LSU's QB.

msstate7
09-22-2015, 08:47 PM
He missed the tackle on the long run by usm too.

Dallas_Dawg
09-22-2015, 08:50 PM

What else is new? He ain't an SEC LB.
If only EliteDawgs had as much pull as Tammy from Cullman***

War Machine Dawg
09-22-2015, 08:52 PM

As I said in AC QB this week, every snap Jackson & Evans get is a crime. They're not SEC players, period. At some point, you have to let the more talented guys play, because their athleticism will cover some mistakes. And unlike guys who've been around for 3+ years, they can make drastic improvements over the course of a season.

Really Clark?
09-22-2015, 08:59 PM

Yeah he did

Really Clark?
09-22-2015, 09:01 PM

Was thinking it was someone else on one of them and for some reason thought Gray was out there. But I haven't been able to rewatch that game. Or really want to.

Political Hack
09-22-2015, 09:10 PM
I'd clean the Vaseline off Richie's arms. He'd make every tackle if his arms weren't greased.

He seriously would be on the way to an all American season if he could hang on when he's in position. That dude is around the ball constantly. Just got to finish it.

Coach34
09-22-2015, 09:13 PM
I'd clean the Vaseline off Richie's arms. He'd make every tackle if his arms weren't greased.

He seriously would be on the way to an all American season if he could hang on when he's in position. That dude is around the ball constantly. Just got to finish it.

Richie is Mr Almost. He is almost awesome- but always just misses making the awesome play

Really Clark?
09-22-2015, 09:19 PM
He does have a nose for the ball. I would like him to stay on his feet more as well. Maybe that helps clean up some of these misses. Keep his base under him more. He likes to dive out too much it seems.

Todd4State
09-22-2015, 09:43 PM

Depends on how you look at it. Would you expect special teams aces to have as many tackles as one of our starting OLB's? Especially if I told you that two of the three teams that were going to run the ball? I know I wouldn't.

It may not necessarily mean that Gray and Green are all that productive- it probably DOES mean that Jackson isn't productive.

Really Clark?
09-22-2015, 10:59 PM
Depends on how you look at it. Would you expect special teams aces to have as many tackles as one of our starting OLB's? Especially if I told you that two of the three teams that were going to run the ball? I know I wouldn't.

It may not necessarily mean that Gray and Green are all that productive- it probably DOES mean that Jackson isn't productive.

Really? Coming from a baseball guy you know stats can have meaning in the right context. You just looked at the overall numbers without digging at all to determine if it was a true comparison. Now what is more accurate? Those numbers you are trying to use or would it be better to compare him to Matt Wells numbers since its the same position and he was last years starter? Because when I look at that Wells avg 3.46 tackles per game. He is averaging 4 per game right now. Same position and he is putting up similar numbers to Wells. Now I'm not getting into a personell debate with you and saying he is as good as Wells or this player or that. But at least use comparable data for the position that is being played. Not special teams. That's like comparing the ERA of a starting pitcher to a closer and trying to say it would be the same if the closer started games.

Indigo Wolf
09-22-2015, 11:07 PM

I so agree with that one. They are both performing out of their minds and pretty much out-hustling everyone on the field. I'd run more plays through them or atleast get them involved more.

Todd4State
09-22-2015, 11:31 PM
Really? Coming from a baseball guy you know stats can have meaning in the right context. You just looked at the overall numbers without digging at all to determine if it was a true comparison. Now what is more accurate? Those numbers you are trying to use or would it be better to compare him to Matt Wells numbers since its the same position and he was last years starter? Because when I look at that Wells avg 3.46 tackles per game. He is averaging 4 per game right now. Same position and he is putting up similar numbers to Wells. Now I'm not getting into a personell debate with you and saying he is as good as Wells or this player or that. But at least use comparable data for the position that is being played. Not special teams. That's like comparing the ERA of a starting pitcher to a closer and trying to say it would be the same if the closer started games.

Depends on the context. If a guy like Troy Tulowitzski has as many home runs as the average first baseman- that's not necessarily a knock on the first baseman- it just means that Tulo is an elite player and is a relevant comparison despite two different positions. So, you can compare other positions to each other as long as you know the context for what is expected out of the positions.

For a football example- if Ndomakung Suh has more sacks than an average DE, he would be considered very productive even though he plays a different position.

But since you asked, I looked it up: Green has four of his eleven tackles on special teams and Gray has three of his eleven on special teams. So, basically when you take into account their actual playing time at just LB compared to Jackson's they still would be considered more productive at 7 tackles for Green and 8 for Gray. And if you want to get even deeper into it, Green has more tackles for loss right now than Jackson as well and Gray has just as many tackles for loss.

If you want to compare Matt Wells yes, his average was similar but Wells also had 8.5 TFL, 4 sacks, and 1 FF. Which is ahead of Jackson in comparable categories. He may be on track with tackles (I suspect because he was used more in coverage than Jackson has been) but he certainly had a greater impact.

Todd4State
09-22-2015, 11:35 PM
I so agree with that one. They are both performing out of their minds and pretty much out-hustling everyone on the field. I'd run more plays through them or atleast get them involved more.

They definitely pass the eye test. And I think the stats back up the eye test in this case. I've said a lot about Coman- but to be honest I have long felt that our worst starting player on defense is Jackson. I didn't say much about it in the offseason because I felt like Gray would beat him out- and probably should have.

Really Clark?
09-23-2015, 12:12 AM
Todd special team tackles are not the same and you know it. It skews the number. And if you want to get very technical you need to determine the number of tackles per the number of plays they have played on defense. But don't known where you can get that. And to be clear I'm not saying they probably haven't avg better. But using sp team numbers is a false stat for comparison. And you know it is. Double talk all you want. How about this Jackson is only 2 tackles behind B Brown. Almost the same production from a guy nobody wants off the field.

Todd4State
09-23-2015, 12:47 AM
Todd special team tackles are not the same and you know it. It skews the number. And if you want to get very technical you need to determine the number of tackles per the number of plays they have played on defense. But don't known where you can get that. And to be clear I'm not saying they probably haven't avg better. But using sp team numbers is a false stat for comparison. And you know it is. Double talk all you want. How about this Jackson is only 2 tackles behind B Brown. Almost the same production from a guy nobody wants off the field.

I took them out for you in the post above, I'm not sure what else you would like for me to do to please you. Again, Green has 7 tackles at LB and Gray has 9 (Made an error and thought Gray had 11 tackles instead of 12 after looking at the stats again) at LB. If I went through every play each of them played, I am 100% sure based on how much each of the three players have played at LB alone and did a percentage of the time each of the three made a tackle, it would probably be Gray, Green, and then Jackson if I had to guess.

Beniquez only has two more tackles than Jackson but he also has more tackles for loss, a sack and a blocked kick- thus making him unquestionably more productive overall.

JoseBrown
09-23-2015, 01:28 AM
How many TD passes has Jackson watched sail over his head vs the other two? Ok, well completions maybe better since after 3 games. And how many SEC games did Matt Wells play in to have avg number of tackles comparable to Jackson this year? And....

Really Clark?
09-23-2015, 02:25 AM
I took them out for you in the post above, I'm not sure what else you would like for me to do to please you. Again, Green has 7 tackles at LB and Gray has 9 (Made an error and thought Gray had 11 tackles instead of 12 after looking at the stats again) at LB. If I went through every play each of them played, I am 100% sure based on how much each of the three players have played at LB alone and did a percentage of the time each of the three made a tackle, it would probably be Gray, Green, and then Jackson if I had to guess.

Beniquez only has two more tackles than Jackson but he also has more tackles for loss, a sack and a blocked kick- thus making him unquestionably more productive overall.

Yeah I know you went back because you were questioned. And I stated this was never about this player or that debate or Jackson is unquestionably as good and should start. When I saw the number it struck me as being off because of Green. I looked and sure enough it was not a correct stat that you reported. If you are going to give out something like that to convenience people of your argument at least make it correct. You already have a biased opinion and that's fine, but at least use correct facts to convey why your opinion is valid. I happen to agree with you but don't give a bad number and then phrase your statement in such away to skew opinions to your bias.

Yes B Brown is productive. He has 14 tackles, 2 for loss, a sack, a pass break up, and blocked kick. Jackson has 12 tackles, 1 for loss and one pass break up. Brown has also played more snaps than Jackson I would suspect and at a position that would lend itself to more tackles for loss. I agree with you but on the surface someone can easily say by using the number of tackles that they must be pretty similar players. Someone could have stated well Jackson is as good as Brown because they are only 2 tackles difference between the two. It's wrong, but so was what you stated and the way you put it out there.

Really Clark?
09-23-2015, 02:28 AM
How many TD passes has Jackson watched sail over his head vs the other two? Ok, well completions maybe better since after 3 games. And how many SEC games did Matt Wells play in to have avg number of tackles comparable to Jackson this year? And....

I don't know. Watch the film of the games and let us know how many have gone over his head this year. Same with the Wells stat. I would guess he had around 4-5 tackles per game against conference foes. Let us know when you figure it out

Bothrops
09-23-2015, 05:36 AM
I think for this game, we need to move our olbs out more. We need to bring the heat early from the corners. Let the 4 man front handle the inside run. Pull the DL in tight. Shift them around.... Think cowboys back in the day.

There is Noway I let this new qb grasp anything we are doing.

We just want to make sure Auburn doesn't find its answer at qb Saturday.

Dental Dawg33
09-23-2015, 08:40 AM

Agreed. The guy is all over the ball every play, just can't seem to wrap up. If he can make adjustments and start laying some pads on some folks, it's GOMF

Political Hack
09-23-2015, 09:49 AM
Agreed. The guy is all over the ball every play, just can't seem to wrap up. If he can make adjustments and start laying some pads on some folks, it's GOMF

I think he's playing assignment early and selling out late. He should tweak that approach some IMO. Sell out a little earlier and let his instincts take over then get fundamental late as he approaches the ball.

Dental Dawg33
09-23-2015, 12:18 PM
I think he's playing assignment early and selling out late. He should tweak that approach some IMO. Sell out a little earlier and let his instincts take over then get fundamental late as he approaches the ball.

Agreed