PDA

View Full Version : D-1 Baseball.com rates the top baseball programs

Coach34
09-22-2015, 01:35 PM
http://www.d1baseball.com/analysis/top-100-programs-by-the-numbers/

We come in at#21-I think thats fair

CJDAWG85
09-22-2015, 01:53 PM
We would probably be a Top 15 program if not for last year's dumpster fire.

mparkerfd20
09-22-2015, 02:51 PM
Ole Miss #18 and we are #21 tho. Is this only considering the last year? Historically we are a shit-ton higher than Ole Miss.

smootness
09-22-2015, 03:05 PM
I'm sorry, Ole Miss and A&M do not have better programs than we do. I don't even think Arkansas has a better program.

Sirbarksalot
09-22-2015, 03:16 PM
How the hell do the Bears come in higher than us? By any and all measures, we have a better baseball program than they do. Hell, they've only been competitive with 1 coach in their entire history and he has only taken them to 1 CWS in his 15 years or so.

AlSwearengen
09-22-2015, 03:21 PM
build that new stadium and I think we move up. Perception wise, immediately and over a little time, actual.

AusTexDawg
09-22-2015, 04:03 PM
Ole Miss #18 and we are #21 tho. Is this only considering the last year? Historically we are a shit-ton higher than Ole Miss.

Per the article, D1BB said "For the purpose of this exercise, we don’t care what happened in the 1970s or 80s, or even the 90s — that’s ancient history to a potential recruit in 2015. Tradition is nice, but it’s more important to establish a tradition of consistent winning in the last decade, and especially in the last five years." I figure both State & TSUN have CWS appearances in the last 5 years and TSUN has missed the post-season fewer times in recent years.

Does anyone know what D1BB said in the blurb about us (behind the paywall http://www.d1baseball.com/the-buzz/top-100-programs-21-30/)?

bulldogcountry1
09-22-2015, 04:06 PM
How the hell do the Bears come in higher than us? By any and all measures, we have a better baseball program than they do. Hell, they've only been competitive with 1 coach in their entire history and he has only taken them to 1 CWS in his 15 years or so.

You have to think that the list is looking at more of the present tense, and UM has hosted a heckuva lot more regionals and supers than us in the last 15 or so years.

I seen it dawg
09-22-2015, 05:01 PM
Per the article, D1BB said "For the purpose of this exercise, we don’t care what happened in the 1970s or 80s, or even the 90s — that’s ancient history to a potential recruit in 2015. Tradition is nice, but it’s more important to establish a tradition of consistent winning in the last decade, and especially in the last five years." I figure both State & TSUN have CWS appearances in the last 5 years and TSUN has missed the post-season fewer times in recent years.

Does anyone know what D1BB said in the blurb about us (behind the paywall http://www.d1baseball.com/the-buzz/top-100-programs-21-30/)?

Very important piece. Last 15 years have not been consistently good.

Todd4State
09-22-2015, 05:15 PM
Since we're talking past 15 years we've made it to Omaha more than Ole Miss has and we've also made it further than they have. Ole Miss has only been to five Super Regionals. We have also been to five. We've also won the SEC Tournament three times in that time span compared to their one. They have been to 12 regionals the past 15 years and we have been to 10 and they have one SEC regular season championship.

The only places they have us beat is in regional appearances- by two and with the one regular season title. But we have them beat in terms of SR wins, Omaha appearances, and going deeper into Omaha than they ever have- to go along with the three SEC Tournament Titles.

Surely two regional appearances isn't worth them being three spots better is it?

I seen it dawg
09-22-2015, 05:24 PM
Since we're talking past 15 years we've made it to Omaha more than Ole Miss has and we've also made it further than they have. Ole Miss has only been to five Super Regionals. We have also been to five. We've also won the SEC Tournament three times in that time span compared to their one. They have been to 12 regionals the past 15 years and we have been to 10 and they have one SEC regular season championship.

The only places they have us beat is in regional appearances- by two and with the one regular season title. But we have them beat in terms of SR wins, Omaha appearances, and going deeper into Omaha than they ever have- to go along with the three SEC Tournament Titles.

Surely two regional appearances isn't worth them being three spots better is it?

Well those stats don't lie I was wrong. **** those ****ers then.

Sirbarksalot
09-22-2015, 05:38 PM
I bet you anything they would be more than happy to trade a couple regional losses for another CWS. This is just your typical national media showing their stupidity.

State82
09-22-2015, 05:42 PM
And on a related note, Collegiate Baseball ranked the 2015 class #3 in the country in their final rankings today. That's 3 Top 10 classes in a row. It's time, John.

smootness
09-22-2015, 06:08 PM
Per the article, D1BB said "For the purpose of this exercise, we don?t care what happened in the 1970s or 80s, or even the 90s ? that?s ancient history to a potential recruit in 2015. Tradition is nice, but it?s more important to establish a tradition of consistent winning in the last decade, and especially in the last five years." I figure both State & TSUN have CWS appearances in the last 5 years and TSUN has missed the post-season fewer times in recent years.

This is dumb, though. I get that individual recruits may not care about what a program did 20-30 years ago, but it absolutely has an effect on the fan and resource base. State has built up an incredible fan and resource base for baseball. Because of that, it is easier for us than a program with less history to get back to that spot.

This is like someone who argues that Notre Dame isn't special in football because their biggest successes came 60 years ago. This may be true, but that history has impacted a lot of things around Notre Dame that makes it a better program than one with similar recent history. If you're a coach, it's easier for you to build Notre Dame back up than to take a program with a similar recent history and build them. Similarly, it is much easier for a baseball coach to build something at State than at Texas A&M.

Completely removing history, or at least disregarding its impact on factors that do influence the current program, is stupid.