PDA

View Full Version : Rules Question

starkvegasdawg
09-22-2015, 12:56 PM
Some of you that know the less common rules than me please shed some light on a question I have wondered about for a while. I believe I am correct in saying that the DB is allowed contact with the receiver within the first five yards beyond the LOS. That is what allows for bump and run coverage. If this is indeed the case, then why doesn't the DB just load up and put the WR flat on his ass every snap? He can't catch a pass if he never runs a route. Instead of just bumping him put a shoulder in his chest and level him. If he gets up within that 5 yard cushion then level him again. Does the rulebook put limits on how much bumping a DB can do?

DanDority
09-22-2015, 12:59 PM
How many DB's could put Wilson on the ground while only hitting with the shoulder or forearms? I say none.

thf24
09-22-2015, 01:04 PM
Because if the DB whiffs there's a guy running wide open. Just trying to jam a good, physical receiver is enough of a gamble in itself.

scottycameron
09-22-2015, 01:09 PM
Because if the DB whiffs there's a guy running wide open. Just trying to jam a good, physical receiver is enough of a gamble in itself.

yep, that's a quick touchdown waiting to happen. If yopu could use your hands and hold it would be a good idea. but you can't hold. Tackling is hard when you can't hold.

godlluB
09-22-2015, 01:25 PM
Tackling is hard when you can't hold.

\* Manny Diaz nods his head in agreement *\

starkvegasdawg
09-22-2015, 01:40 PM

Maybe so but I would still rather see that at least attempted instead of playing 10 yards off the receiver and then trying to get into position to make a play then. I'd like to see our DB's right up on the LOS and as soon as the receiver steps across just lock him up like you are blocking. If he is eventually able to get free then you go into pass coverage. If nothing else it would give your pass rush an extra second or two (assuming he finally broke the engagement) to get to the QB as well as destroy any timing on precision routes.

MadDawg
09-22-2015, 01:45 PM
If he is eventually able to get free then you go into pass coverage.

Running 10 yards behind him. Yeah, I agree with others, there is a reason you don't see this. It's a recipe for disaster.

DancingRabbit
09-22-2015, 01:49 PM
For the most part, receivers are bigger and stronger than cornerbacks.

Really Clark?
09-22-2015, 02:20 PM
It would be defensive holding still. You can't tackle, hold, or throw down a WR even in the first 5 yards. You are allowed contentious contact or bumping. Not an instantaneous blow that knocks the receiver down.

scottycameron
09-22-2015, 03:00 PM
Maybe so but I would still rather see that at least attempted instead of playing 10 yards off the receiver and then trying to get into position to make a play then. I'd like to see our DB's right up on the LOS and as soon as the receiver steps across just lock him up like you are blocking. If he is eventually able to get free then you go into pass coverage. If nothing else it would give your pass rush an extra second or two (assuming he finally broke the engagement) to get to the QB as well as destroy any timing on precision routes.

a very big skill set for a WR is being able to get off the line. This is something they work on and need to be good at. One of the things they are graded on. Physically being able to beat the DB on the snap. Much like a DL.