PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article on illegal men downfield...

IMissJack
09-21-2015, 06:08 PM
[URL="www.si.com/college-football/2015/02/22/rule-proposal-linemen-downfield-punt-pass-pork"]
Hmmm.

Someone feel free to fix this link...

drunkernhelldawg
09-21-2015, 06:15 PM
www.si.com/college-football/2015/02/22/rule-proposal-linemen-downfield-punt-pass-pork

maybe this will work

IMissJack
09-21-2015, 06:19 PM
Of course Hugh saw no reason to change rule.

MedDawg
09-21-2015, 08:42 PM

War Machine Dawg
09-21-2015, 08:53 PM
Let it go, man. We get it, the refs blew a call and Northern Miss won. Shit happens. That's football.

TUSK
09-21-2015, 09:02 PM
Let it go, man. We get it, the refs blew a call and Northern Miss won. Shit happens. That's football.

agreed, WMD...

IMissJack
09-21-2015, 09:37 PM

I'm just trying to show that this is happening more and more in today's game, not "just" because of OM. It happens in the Big 12 all the time, with all the no huddles and fast offenses. But, I hardly ever see it called. IMO it is an unfair advantage, and the refs should be called out on not calling the penalty more often.

confucius say
09-21-2015, 09:38 PM
I'm just trying to show that this is happening more and more in today's game, not "just" because of OM. It happens in the Big 12 all the time, with all the no huddles and fast offenses. But, I hardly ever see it called. IMO it is an unfair advantage, and the refs are called out on not calling the penalty.

Agree fully

DancingRabbit
09-21-2015, 10:00 PM
I'm just trying to show that this is happening more and more in today's game, not "just" because of OM. It happens in the Big 12 all the time, with all the no huddles and fast offenses. But, I hardly ever see it called. IMO it is an unfair advantage, and the refs should be called out on not calling the penalty more often.

Gets called all the time in the NFL.

And no NFL team is abusing the rule as part of their offensive game plan. It happens by accident when for whatever reason the QB holds the ball too long and then passes downfield.

Irondawg
09-21-2015, 10:13 PM
Why just not make it a reviewable play. If we can stop play to review if the QB is over the line of scrimmage then also have a review/coaches challenge on these big plays that look like busted defensive assignments when they are really responded to the OL position as taught.

Pokechop Womack
09-21-2015, 10:27 PM
I just don't understand this argument... from the picture I saw they had one guy that was down field... highly doubt during practice last week he told that one guy to run down field in order to throw the defense off... that didn't happen... you know what draws the defense up? It's the QB running towards the line of scrimmage... its a lot like the "Tebow Jump Pass" except its outside of the pocket... Personally I would like to see us to run this play..

DancingRabbit
09-21-2015, 10:54 PM
I just don't understand this argument... from the picture I saw they had one guy that was down field... highly doubt during practice last week he told that one guy to run down field in order to throw the defense off... that didn't happen... you know what draws the defense up? It's the QB running towards the line of scrimmage... its a lot like the "Tebow Jump Pass" except its outside of the pocket... Personally I would like to see us to run this play..

Sure ... Auburn, OM and a few others do practice it. They're probably told to go 4 yards - over the 3 yard limit but still in the "gray area". When it happens over and over it's not an accident.

Look at who was upset when they discussed changing the rule to 1 yard - Freeze, Malzahn, Dabo Swinney and a couple others. Like they say "the bit dog barks".

Pokechop Womack
09-21-2015, 11:24 PM
Sure ... Auburn, OM and a few others do practice it. They're probably told to go 4 yards - over the 3 yard limit but still in the "gray area". When it happens over and over it's not an accident.

Look at who was upset when they discussed changing the rule to 1 yard - Freeze, Malzahn, Dabo Swinney and a couple others. Like they say "the bit dog barks".

Go watch the cornerback and tell me whether he was looking at Kelly or the lineman down field when he left his man to come up to stop the run...

Todd4State
09-22-2015, 12:16 AM
Go watch the cornerback and tell me whether he was looking at Kelly or the lineman down field when he left his man to come up to stop the run...

Well, it even said in the article that defensive coaches teach their players to up to stop the run if the linemen are downfield because the only legal pass play at that point is a screen.

If all of those HUNH coaches are saying "just enforce the rule"- well then I think we are all in agreement then- and the refs need to do their job and enforce the rule. And I do agree that it should be a reviewable play- I don't see why it isn't?

As I have said before, my biggest gripe with the HUNH offenses is they take advantage of officials and use the "gray area" to their advantage to the point where it gets out of control.

Percho
09-22-2015, 11:09 AM
Actually HF had the correct solution. Have an official to watch for OL beyond three yards and call over in headset, then if QB throws ball it would be a violation. And I do agree that it should be a reviewable play.

drunkernhelldawg
09-22-2015, 11:23 AM
If you go over but get back before the pass, is it still a foul? I like the idea of making it reviewable. I'm less and less of a fan of the way hurry up is being used in college football.

Maroons
09-22-2015, 12:22 PM

It's not just the DB's. LB's read run based on OL blocking downfield and they get sucked in to the flow, thus opening the middle of the field behind them.

Pokechop Womack
09-22-2015, 12:56 PM
It's not just the DB's. LB's read run based on OL blocking downfield and they get sucked in to the flow, thus opening the middle of the field behind them.

I get that but on that particular play the touchdown had nothing to do with the linebackers or the middle of the field, it had to do with the cornerback leaving his man down the sideline in order to come up on Kelly. My point is the lineman down field, although it's illegal, had nothing to do with the score

scottycameron
09-22-2015, 12:59 PM

first time OM has run it, Nick Marshall ran it constantly. We should run it with Dak a lot but Dan only likes the inside runs, so it's only the Tebow jump pass.
The problem OM had was timing, Kelly held it too long (geez the core kid was open by 20 yards don't overdo it so much) and the one OL got antsy and took off too soon. Clean that up just a hair (2 yards by one OL) and it's deadly and legal.

scottycameron
09-22-2015, 01:01 PM
I get that but on that particular play the touchdown had nothing to do with the linebackers or the middle of the field, it had to do with the cornerback leaving his man down the sideline in order to come up on Kelly. My point is the lineman down field, although it's illegal, had nothing to do with the score

It didn't have anything to do with that play, but if you run that in the future and more often, that is something that will trip you up. The QB has to sell it but not take forever. The OL has to be patient even if not in the play.

Barking 13
09-22-2015, 01:55 PM

There would be flags flying everywhere the first time we tried it.

DancingRabbit
09-22-2015, 02:06 PM
first time OM has run it, Nick Marshall ran it constantly. We should run it with Dak a lot but Dan only likes the inside runs, so it's only the Tebow jump pass.
The problem OM had was timing, Kelly held it too long (geez the core kid was open by 20 yards don't overdo it so much) and the one OL got antsy and took off too soon. Clean that up just a hair (2 yards by one OL) and it's deadly and legal.

Maybe first time this year. But OM runs that play.

confucius say
09-22-2015, 02:31 PM

It's not the corner that matters. It's the safety in a two deep shell who is responsible for deep half that comes screaming down bc his keys tell him it's a run.

Really Clark?
09-22-2015, 02:46 PM
It's not the corner that matters. It's the safety in a two deep shell who is responsible for deep half that comes screaming down bc his keys tell him it's a run.

I can't remember which safety it was but the lineman that was down field was blocking a safety. Not a LB but goes up field to engage the safety coming down. But it might have been the opposite side safety

Percho
09-22-2015, 04:10 PM

The corner thought he had safety help but the safety read the OL as run and came up thus the WR was wide open.

scottycameron
09-22-2015, 04:15 PM
The corner thought he had safety help but the safety read the OL as run and came up thus the WR was wide open.

I don't think he read anything but kelly running a read option keeper. I don't blame him they hadn't thrown out of that all year, kelly had rarely if ever even kept it. They had that in their back pocket waiting for a spot to use it and they picked it perfectly. I'm telling y'all we need to run that with Dak. It's hard to stop, if you defend the pass Dak will pick up yards in chunks.

confucius say
09-22-2015, 04:28 PM
I don't think he read anything but kelly running a read option keeper. I don't blame him they hadn't thrown out of that all year, kelly had rarely if ever even kept it. They had that in their back pocket waiting for a spot to use it and they picked it perfectly. I'm telling y'all we need to run that with Dak. It's hard to stop, if you defend the pass Dak will pick up yards in chunks.

We have it in our system. Fitz scored a rushing td on it in the spring game.