PDA

View Full Version : I just got around to looking...

Liverpooldawg
09-21-2015, 02:08 PM
at the final stats for UM-Bama. My paper (the Tupelo Journal) never got around to printing them and that's where I always look at stats ( I know, I'm a dinosaur). I wondered why till I saw them. If you leave out the turnover line and the score line you would assume Bama won that game and the Confederates were playing catch up all night. Don't get me wrong, turnovers are part of the game, perhaps the biggest part. I just found it interesting that it wasn't quite the total domination it is being spun as in some quarters. One more comment from the stats, as was widely believed before that game, it's obvious where Bama's weakness is.

bgover4
09-21-2015, 03:15 PM
it's obvious where Bama's weakness is.

Holding onto the ball?

DancingRabbit
09-21-2015, 03:25 PM
Holding onto the ball?

I believe he's referring to that position that Barrett Sallee says returning a talented starter is over-rated.

TUSK
09-21-2015, 03:27 PM
at the final stats for UM-Bama. My paper (the Tupelo Journal) never got around to printing them and that's where I always look at stats ( I know, I'm a dinosaur). I wondered why till I saw them. If you leave out the turnover line and the score line you would assume Bama won that game and the Confederates were playing catch up all night. Don't get me wrong, turnovers are part of the game, perhaps the biggest part. I just found it interesting that it wasn't quite the total domination it is being spun as in some quarters. One more comment from the stats, as was widely believed before that game, it's obvious where Bama's weakness is.

I'm a Dino, too buddy... the box score made me feel a lot better about the team (moving forward)...

Unfortunately, with how the game has changed, box scores are now a less reliable method for determining who's "better", who "won", etc....

we should ban the forward pass*

chef dixon
09-21-2015, 03:29 PM
102 total plays for Bama and 67 for OM, I sure as hell would hope Bama had more total offense.

EAVdog
09-21-2015, 03:36 PM
Not to take anything away from OM but Bama played sloppy as hell. Fumbled the first play...and it got worse from there. Bama will lose another game or two unless their QB situation somehow gets much better.

LC Dawg
09-21-2015, 03:49 PM
I know this has been mentioned in another thread but I can't find it. I have seen multiple Ole Miss fans share the video of D. Nkem cheap shot Bama's qb on the interception return.
First off it's kind of embarrassing for a lb to blind side a qb and then stand over him like he's done something. Secondly, is this something the league office can review and suspend for? Does he count as a defenseless player? I know it's a cheap shot but I am just curious if it is illegal.
Of course I'm sure that if the qb sustained a concussion and was out for a while the good Rebels would have prayed for him.

godlluB
09-21-2015, 03:55 PM
If Bama had MSU's #3 QB, I think they win that game.

TUSK
09-21-2015, 04:02 PM
I know this has been mentioned in another thread but I can't find it. I have seen multiple Ole Miss fans share the video of D. Nkem cheap shot Bama's qb on the interception return.
First off it's kind of embarrassing for a lb to blind side a qb and then stand over him like he's done something. Secondly, is this something the league office can review and suspend for? Does he count as a defenseless player? I know it's a cheap shot but I am just curious if it is illegal.
Of course I'm sure that if the qb sustained a concussion and was out for a while the good Rebels would have prayed for him.

it was cheap and maybe deserved a "taunting" penalty, but I was all right with it...

gotta keep your head on a swivel, Cooper!

DCdawg
09-21-2015, 04:02 PM
I'm not sure they would even have a case. There's no doubt Kimchee outweighs him by 100 pounds and did more than necessary to block him, but I don't think it was a cheap shot. The kid was frustrated that he threw an interception and wanted to make up for it by making the tackle. He was actually pretty close to the ball carrier when he was hit. If you are going to run east and west on the field you better know who is around you.

EAVdog
09-21-2015, 04:05 PM
Screw them. Remember the late hit on Holloway a couple years back. It's all part of the game.

MadDawg
09-21-2015, 04:11 PM
Not to take anything away from OM but Bama played sloppy as hell. Fumbled the first play...and it got worse from there. Bama will lose another game or two unless their QB situation somehow gets much better.

Bama will lose 3-4 games. UM, LSU, MSU and maybe the bowl game.

Johnson85
Secondly, is this something the league office can review and suspend for? Does he count as a defenseless player? I know it's a cheap shot but I am just curious if it is illegal.

Not a rules expert by any means but I'm pretty sure it's perfectly legal. He was a potential tackler at that point. I'll agree those plays where QBs (or punters or kickers) get lit up because they're away from the ball and aren't protecting themselves like they should are dangerous plays and they annoy me. But I'm not sure what you do about it. The only thing that would fix it is making the ball dead after a turnover.

Liverpooldawg
I'm a Dino, too buddy... the box score made me feel a lot better about the team (moving forward)...

Unfortunately, with how the game has changed, box scores are now a less reliable method for determining who's "better", who "won", etc....

we should ban the forward pass*

That would be a great benefit to y'all this year, on both sides of the ball.

MadDawg
09-21-2015, 04:13 PM
I'm not sure they would even have a case. There's no doubt Kimchee outweighs him by 100 pounds and did more than necessary to block him, but I don't think it was a cheap shot. The kid was frustrated that he threw an interception and wanted to make up for it by making the tackle. He was actually pretty close to the ball carrier when he was hit. If you are going to run east and west on the field you better know who is around you.

There were at least 2 other Bama players close enough to block, but they were a lot bigger than #18.

LC Dawg
09-21-2015, 04:18 PM

I'm not saying there should be a penalty because I agree that any player on the field is the same and the qb was essentially a defensive player after the interception. I remember seeing that same thing called a penalty in the NFL but not in college. The one specific time is in the playoffs when the Saints player leveled Kurt Warner after an interception. It seems like there was no call on the field but the league fined him later.
I was just curious if there was some sort of rule in college.

DCdawg
09-21-2015, 04:33 PM
LC, I think that is the case when there is a block on a defenseless player who is away from the ball. I have seen it called on kickoffs when the kicker gets blasted and was nowhere near the ball.

archdog
09-21-2015, 04:40 PM

Cheap shot? This is football. I am sure Bama's Qb was chasing the play down. If he doesn't want to get hit, then don't chase the play down. He was as active as anyone else on the field. I am saying all of this without even seeing the play in question, but generally my personal rule is if the player is trying to get in on the play, then they are fair game. This is a man's game. If their qb want to be a little girl, he didn't have to chase the ball.

archdog
09-21-2015, 04:41 PM
It was called on a block on Brett Favre one time. He was 30 yards behind the play and got cut back on. Now that is a cheap shot.

drunkernhelldawg
09-21-2015, 04:47 PM
I heard something in the weekend pro games about a kicker or punter being blocked and should be flagged but wasn't. I'm not clear on why it was a potential penalty, since the punter cold have made the tackle (theoretically, not actually). Didn't see Bama/OM except the fourth quarter, so I haven't seen the hit in question.

Mjoelner34
09-21-2015, 04:53 PM
I think I've heard that if the QB runs and tries to be part of the play (to make the tackle on the int), you can light him up. If he just stands there out of the way or actually retreats to the other side of the field, he is off limits and can't be touched.

DancingRabbit
09-21-2015, 05:52 PM

Yes, it was an illegal hit. Nkemdiche's helmet contacts Bateman's jaw or helmet. Since 2013 you can't hit a QB above the shoulders after an interception. Targeting - ejection.

Besides taunting.

Dawgcentral
09-21-2015, 06:03 PM
Hell, JLD used to coach it. Told players if there's an INT someone needs to go lay a big hit on the QB.

Schultzy
09-21-2015, 06:04 PM
It's a CS hit on a defenseless player away from the ball and the play, that's not football and if it's reviewed by the league he will be suspended.

Helmet to helmet on top of that so if Bama pushes the issue like Miles did I with Dillon Day he will get hit for it.

dickiedawg
09-21-2015, 06:07 PM
That was pointed out during the Eagles -Cowboys game. The punter is technically a defenseless player even if he is trying to make the tackle, which means you can't target him.

I'm wondering why "defenseless" player is even a necessary distinction- you shouldn't be allowed to lead with your helmet at another player's head regardless.

BossDawg
09-21-2015, 10:46 PM
I just found it interesting that it wasn't quite the total domination it is being spun as in some quarters. One more comment from the stats, as was widely believed before that game, it's obvious where Bama's weakness is.

I don't really get it. Well...I kinda do. Many people consider Bama the premier college football team, and that is why this was such a "huge win" for UMiss...and it was. But, I just don't think they are that good this year. Now I'm fully aware they'll come into Starkville and play arguably their most flawless game to date, but it's obvious that Bama is quite vulnerable. I still feel that it's way too early to crown UMiss as an awesome team just because they caught a few breaks and beat Bama.

archdog
09-22-2015, 08:14 AM
The rules are there for player safety, but blocking a guy after a punt or interception shouldn't bring a flag when said player is trying to make a play on the ball. Now unnecessary roughness needs to be called when the guy is not following the play. Both Bama's Qb and the punter last week in the nfl were trying to make a play on the opposing ball carrier. I say as long as the block was made following the rules for a block, those guys are fair game to be as violent as you want. Next time Bama's Qb will either stay on the ground or actually chase down the play instead of tip toeing towards the ball carrier. QBs and punters are football players too. Its not a LB fault they are 6-1 - 180lbs.

Liverpooldawg
09-22-2015, 08:26 AM
Yes, it was an illegal hit. Nkemdiche's helmet contacts Bateman's jaw or helmet. Since 2013 you can't hit a QB above the shoulders after an interception. Targeting - ejection.

Besides taunting.

THIS