PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts from this weekend

Coach 57
09-21-2015, 01:40 PM
Let's go ahead and talk about the slain 5k lbs elephant in the room.

Ole Miss is good. Get over it! They took a step back defensively (my thoughts) but they also matured on offense. This is not an upgrade at QB though. I feel that Kelly does have a bigger arm, but I feel like it will translate into turnovers for their offense down the road. The question is will it matter that much with their current schedule? Guys let me say this: if they do not lose in Gainsville, they may not lose until mid November to LSU. They won't lose to Auburn, aTm or Arky. Of those 3 Arky stands the best chance to beat them but with Williams down and after seeing TT rip their defense apart I can't see UM losing to Arky. I do believe that Sumlin will expose some of their defense's deficiencies. The question is that can they be 11-0 headed into Starkville? I do think LSU will beat them because they just do not match up with LSU very well. Not only can LSU score but they CAN force stops. I do think the EB this year will be EPIC at his year! EPIC! But guys, they are a good football team. They win because they FORCE turnovers! It takes the air out of stadiums, forcing TO's makes your offense lose traction, morale and confidence. But as I once heard a wise man say "that's why that ball (the football) is shaped funny. It can bounce either way."

The best team in our conference is LSU! I told you guys, I told every person I could coral or that asked me. Stop looking at their QB to make mistakes, they are the best because right now they have BY FAR the best player in the country. If he can stay healthy, they will beat ANYBODY!

As far as our game is concerned, it was nice to see Fitz & Staley throw TDs and it was nice to see a SLEW of young talent play good minutes. I think we wil beat Auburn in JH. Their secondary is a point to expose and I feel like we are good enough to expose the weakness. We will cause TO's and it will take the air out of the stadium.

CadaverDawg
09-21-2015, 01:46 PM
Coach, I have a question...

Manny's D has always forced turnovers, but we didn't come close against NW St. How will Manny get our guys in better position to force turnovers, and why have we not been able to thus far? We look like a team on their heels, absorbing blows instead of delivering them. What's that about?

Coach 57
09-21-2015, 04:58 PM
The TO's will come. I think Manny is trying to find his team right now. Unfortunately have some positions that need addressing. I feel like Richie will be great Vs teams like OM, aTm, Auburn and Mizzou but against teams like Arky, LSU, Bama he'll struggle. He's just (to me) not a MLB build. He's more of an OLB build. And when you play teams that want to line up in 2 tight sets, and dare you to fill he's just not thick enough or big enough. The difference between last yrs LSU game and this one was the MLB position. They didn't have Beckwith and we had BMac.

I do feel that our concepts are starting to reveal fruits that we will be a multi personnel defense. This (I think) is coming from the top. I think Dan wants a multi-personnel look instead of just the conventional 4-3 set we are so used to seeing. OM adopted this and is basically running a 3-3-5 look because of guys like Conner. I've never seen Manny do this until this year on any of the teams he's coached. But he is here? It's gotta come from CDM.

There are some advantages to this set, but the personnel MUST be there! I heard one poster say that Conner makes UM's D work. I would argue that RNk is as vital. You can plug him ANYWHERE and he'll work that position to a high level. We just need to train the pieces we have. We have the right guys to fill the voids we need to run it. The problem is, they are very young.

Todd4State
09-21-2015, 05:18 PM
Coach, I have a question...

Manny's D has always forced turnovers, but we didn't come close against NW St. How will Manny get our guys in better position to force turnovers, and why have we not been able to thus far? We look like a team on their heels, absorbing blows instead of delivering them. What's that about?

I think one big reason why we haven't forced a lot of turnover is simply because LSU and Northwestern State were very conservative. Look at the USM game where we intercepted two passes- they have been the most aggressive team we have played by far. If LSU threw the ball 28 times instead of the 14 or whatever times they threw it, I guarantee you we would have picked at least one off. Northwestern State didn't really throw the ball a lot either- they were just there to pick up their check and minimize embarrassment as much as possible.

Anyway, I think we will see some turnovers forced by us the next two weeks if I had to guess.

BrunswickDawg
09-21-2015, 05:37 PM
Can we all just shut up with our concerns and let Coach57 tell us what's what? Seriously. Thank you for your wisdom.

ShotgunDawg
09-21-2015, 09:55 PM
Late night Bump, because 57's posts need to be seen by more people.

Thanks for this 57

ShotgunDawg
09-21-2015, 10:00 PM
Quote by Mullen today. GOOD NEWS!!!

Bulldog Sports Radio ‏@BulldogsRadio 9h9 hours ago
Mullen on Lee and Williams-Both graded out as champions, we'll see how they do in practice this week.

basedog
09-21-2015, 10:17 PM
No doubt 57 knows football. When he post I read with interest.