PDA

View Full Version : a few thoughts after studying the film

somebodyshotmypaw
09-21-2015, 10:53 AM
I was at the game, then rewatched it on DVR, trying to pay attention to certain players.

1. McLaurin and Peters have a much higher ceiling than Evans and Coman. But right now, today, this moment, they are not as good as Evans and Coman. Both McLaurin and Peters were out of position at times, Peters screwed up getting caught on the wrong side of a block. But playing time will accelerate that development. They could be two NFL safeties before their time is done.

2. Dontavian Lee looks good running, but you can't pillow fight when blocking. This ain't high school.

3. More Malik Dear please. Design a few things for him. He is a natural. That is the problem with someone like Shumpert. Shumpert isn't a natural. I said that when he ran a sweep to the left as a true freshman while holding the ball in his right arm. Folks who are natural running backs instinctively carry it in the outside arm to leave the inside arm free for stiff-arming, and to keep the ball away from defenders. Dear is a good athlete, but he also just has the natural instinct on cutting, acceleration, etc. to avoid tacklers. He has a lot you can't teach. I like him.

4. Hard to believe that the same school that had Tyson Lee, Wes Carroll, Ty Evans, and Michael Henig now has Dakota Prescott, Elijah Staley, and Nick Fitzgerald ON THE SAME DANG ROSTER!

5. Sean Rawlings looked solid Saturday night as a redshirt freshman. I know why Hevesy wanted him.

6. I know coach34 doesn't think Robert Nkemidche is a first rounder, but I disagree. He looks like a first rounder to me.

confucius say
09-21-2015, 11:32 AM
This is the second person I have seen say peters shouldn't play yet bc he was out of position, and then give one example of him being on the wrong side of a block. First, what does that mean? That he got blocked? If so, so what. Second, I have seen no one claim he busted a coverage. If you guys saw it, or have some inside info that he doesn't know our coverages, then I would agree that he shouldn't play much at all. But otherwise, he needs to play at least 33% of the time.

Really Clark?
09-21-2015, 11:43 AM
Being on the wrong side of a block usually is because the player is out of position. He either missed his assignment or a check. McLaurin busted coverage Sat but Peters didn't that I recall. Out of position in coverage maybe but not a busted coverage. He looked good at the LOS. But for no longer than he played, too numerous mistakes you can't do in SEC play.

Dallas_Dawg
09-21-2015, 12:44 PM
Nkemdouche is a Top 5 pick. No way to spin that any other way.

KentuckyDawg13
09-21-2015, 12:52 PM
Dontavian Lee also helped cause Dak's sack, as Lee was in the way when Dak was trying to scramble. Lee may be able to run well, but the other RB duties he has a lot to learn.

Also, totally agree re Malik Dear. Dude is for real.

Donald Gray should play more. And Myles. I have never seen such a deep WR corp at MSU.

I was at the game, then rewatched it on DVR, trying to pay attention to certain players.

1. McLaurin and Peters have a much higher ceiling than Evans and Coman. But right now, today, this moment, they are not as good as Evans and Coman. Both McLaurin and Peters were out of position at times, Peters screwed up getting caught on the wrong side of a block. But playing time will accelerate that development. They could be two NFL safeties before their time is done.

2. Dontavian Lee looks good running, but you can't pillow fight when blocking. This ain't high school.

3. More Malik Dear please. Design a few things for him. He is a natural. That is the problem with someone like Shumpert. Shumpert isn't a natural. I said that when he ran a sweep to the left as a true freshman while holding the ball in his right arm. Folks who are natural running backs instinctively carry it in the outside arm to leave the inside arm free for stiff-arming, and to keep the ball away from defenders. Dear is a good athlete, but he also just has the natural instinct on cutting, acceleration, etc. to avoid tacklers. He has a lot you can't teach. I like him.

4. Hard to believe that the same school that had Tyson Lee, Wes Carroll, Ty Evans, and Michael Henig now has Dakota Prescott, Elijah Staley, and Nick Fitzgerald ON THE SAME DANG ROSTER!

5. Sean Rawlings looked solid Saturday night as a redshirt freshman. I know why Hevesy wanted him.

6. I know coach34 doesn't think Robert Nkemidche is a first rounder, but I disagree. He looks like a first rounder to me.

somebodyshotmypaw
09-21-2015, 01:30 PM
This is the second person I have seen say peters shouldn't play yet bc he was out of position, and then give one example of him being on the wrong side of a block. First, what does that mean? That he got blocked? If so, so what.

Being on the wrong side of a block is pretty simple. Obviously, you don't want to get blocked at all. You want to fight it off. However, when confronted with a blocker, you want to make sure you take him on in a certain fashion so that the ballcarrier is funneled back where you want him to go. For instance in some situations, you might take on the blocker on the outside shoulder to force the ballcarrier inside where he can be tackled by others pursuing. If you took on the blocker on the inside shoulder with no help to the outside, then you have given the ballcarrier the ability to turn the corner for big yards. Obviously it varies depending on position (corners have different responsibilities than inside linebackers). It's like running in your lane on kickoff coverage. One person out of position can leave a gaping hole.

Coach34
09-21-2015, 01:36 PM

He's a 1st rounder- I just havent seen anything to me that screams top 10 pick

Coach34
09-21-2015, 01:39 PM
Dontavian Lee also helped cause Dak's sack, as Lee was in the way when Dak was trying to scramble. Lee may be able to run well, but the other RB duties he has a lot to learn.

No- Lee picked up the blitz-Prescott didnt step up into the pocket and deliver a throw- Dakota ran right into the blitz. Thats on Prescott

confucius say
09-21-2015, 01:45 PM
Being on the wrong side of a block is pretty simple. Obviously, you don't want to get blocked at all. You want to fight it off. However, when confronted with a blocker, you want to make sure you take him on in a certain fashion so that the ballcarrier is funneled back where you want him to go. For instance in some situations, you might take on the blocker on the outside shoulder to force the ballcarrier inside where he can be tackled by others pursuing. If you took on the blocker on the inside shoulder with no help to the outside, then you have given the ballcarrier the ability to turn the corner for big yards. Obviously it varies depending on position (corners have different responsibilities than inside linebackers). It's like running in your lane on kickoff coverage. One person out of position can leave a gaping hole.

Ok. So people think he is not ready to play significant (a third to a half) snaps based on that happening one time? Please.

somebodyshotmypaw
09-21-2015, 01:49 PM
Ok. So people think he is not ready to play significant (a third to a half) snaps based on that happening one time? Please.

Go back and read my original post. I never said he shouldn't play significant snaps. I said he had a higher ceiling than the guys that are playing. I said more playing time would accelerate his development. But today (not tomorrow) he is not as good as the older guys.

confucius say
09-21-2015, 01:59 PM
Go back and read my original post. I never said he shouldn't play significant snaps. I said he had a higher ceiling than the guys that are playing. I said more playing time would accelerate his development. But today (not tomorrow) he is not as good as the older guys.

Fair enough. I just feel like he is a playmaker and needs more snaps than he is getting now. It's still early, so hopefully he will play more starting this week. I'm sure he will make a mental mistake or two, but he will also make plays.

Sacrifice
09-21-2015, 02:21 PM
No- Lee picked up the blitz-Prescott didnt step up into the pocket and deliver a throw- Dakota ran right into the blitz. Thats on Prescott

Looked to me like Lee picked it up too. Desper pulled to that side and completely missed the blitzing DB. By the time Lee got over there he was about 3 feet from Dak. Lee also picked up a blitzing LB on the long pass to Brown.

War Machine Dawg
09-21-2015, 02:33 PM

Also, totally agree re Malik Dear. Dude is for real.

Donald Gray should play more. And Myles. I have never seen such a deep WR corp at MSU.

This. And Lee picked up the blitz on the play before to buy Dak time to hit Fred Brown for 48 yards. Lee is ready to play. Enough of this putting players in the doghouse for a season for minor infractions bullshit. Enough playing a guy just because he's older and has "experience" bullshit. It's hurting the team. Give D-Lee the damn ball.

confucius say
09-21-2015, 02:37 PM
This. And Lee picked up the blitz on the play before to buy Dak time to hit Fred Brown for 48 yards. Lee is ready to play. Enough of this putting players in the doghouse for a season for minor infractions bullshit. Enough playing a guy just because he's older and has "experience" bullshit. It's hurting the team. Give D-Lee the damn ball.

Minor infractions?

War Machine Dawg
09-21-2015, 02:42 PM
Minor infractions?

Check the Shump thread. Some things can be handle in one week and/or in practice/conditioning. Apparently Mullen hasn't learned that yet.

TrapGame
09-21-2015, 02:52 PM

Robert Nkemdiche and his bong approve of this message!**

In others words Father Freeze lets the Lost Boys play no matter what. Well, except when the NCAA comes a'calling.

War Machine Dawg
09-21-2015, 02:56 PM
Robert Nkemdiche and his bong approve of this message!**

In others words Father Freeze lets the Lost Boys play no matter what. Well, except when the NCAA comes a'calling.

Uhhh.....no. Drugs isn't a minor infraction, so far as I'm concerned. They're illegal, first and foremost.

TrapGame
09-21-2015, 03:01 PM
Uhhh.....no. Drugs isn't a minor infraction, so far as I'm concerned. They're illegal, first and foremost.

Dude, the **.

I'm with ya on this.

KentuckyDawg13
09-21-2015, 03:03 PM
I watched what occured several times, and Lee was over his head if he was trying to pick up the blitz. Looked like a peewee player standing there with his thumb up his @ss. When you have a running QB, you don't hinder his progress. Lee did.

War Machine Dawg
09-21-2015, 04:49 PM
I watched what occured several times, and Lee was over his head if he was trying to pick up the blitz. Looked like a peewee player standing there with his thumb up his @ss. When you have a running QB, you don't hinder his progress. Lee did.

http://i.imgur.com/A5Fts4j.gif

Todd4State
09-21-2015, 05:27 PM
Fair enough. I just feel like he is a playmaker and needs more snaps than he is getting now. It's still early, so hopefully he will play more starting this week. I'm sure he will make a mental mistake or two, but he will also make plays.

THIS. It is unreasonable to expect players to not make mistakes. It is also equally unreasonable to sit a player for making a mistake while allowing others to continue to play ad nauseum and make mistakes over and over again.

Peters can help us now. And not only that- look at the stats on Gerri Green and JT Gray- they are virtually equal to Zach Jackson's in significantly less playing time. People want to focus on the safeties- but LB is almost as much of an issue and those two can significantly help us now.

Todd4State
09-21-2015, 05:30 PM

So, you think Lee has blocking problems because he couldn't block Desper's guy, his guy, and Dak literally ran into him? I saw the play from the stands and I watched the sidelines right after it- Dak and Lee both ran right by Dan and Dan started chewing out.....Dak. If it was Lee's fault, why didn't the head coach rip him a new one as opposed to the QB? I don't know what Dan was talking to Dak about, but Dan was making a throwing motion like he was telling Dak to throw the ball.

I seen it dawg
09-21-2015, 07:10 PM

Then you weren't watching the right ****ing game.

gravedigger
09-21-2015, 09:06 PM

Well, that AND they have inside info about their progress.

Look, its a great deal like baseball. The greatest plays were only possible because fielder was in the correct position before the pitch.

Its the thing you never see, but its the most important thing.