PDA

View Full Version : Geoff Collins

msstate7
09-20-2015, 04:50 PM
These numbers are skewed some by the east Carolina game in which Florida was without 3 defensive starters.

Here's florida's overall defensive stats and sec rank...

Total defense -- 258.0 (2nd)
Scoring defense -- 16.3 (2nd)
Rushing defense -- 55.3 (1st)
Passing defense -- 202.7 (8th)
Sacks -- 11 (2nd)
Interceptions -- 4 (3rd)
TFL -- 25 (3rd)

Last night Florida's defense put a whipping on Kentucky...

Towles -- 8/24 126 yards 0 td 2 int

Kentucky rushing -- 41 carries 115 yards 2.8 a carry

Whats the reason for such an umprovement so far? Better players or does Dan really require a certain type of defense?

Really Clark?
09-20-2015, 04:56 PM
These numbers are skewed some by the east Carolina game in which Florida was without 3 defensive starters.

Here's florida's overall defensive stats and sec rank...

Total defense -- 258.0 (2nd)
Scoring defense -- 16.3 (2nd)
Rushing defense -- 55.3 (1st)
Passing defense -- 202.7 (8th)
Sacks -- 11 (2nd)
Interceptions -- 4 (3rd)
TFL -- 25 (3rd)

Last night Florida's defense put a whipping on Kentucky...

Towles -- 8/24 126 yards 0 td 2 int

Kentucky rushing -- 41 carries 115 yards 2.8 a carry

Whats the reason for such an umprovement so far? Better players or does Dan really require a certain type of defense?

It's not like they haven't played great defense down there the last few years any way. Heck they quit on Muschamp and was still 5th in Total and 6th in scoring last year. 2nd the prior two years. They had talent down there. He was just an offensive idiot. Or at least made bad decisions on his offensive coordinators. And he is in Florida and I know some of this was from boosters. But why are you trying to be a heavy pro style offense with the type of homegrown talent that is in Florida. Speed, speed, speed is the offense you need. They have always won big using that style. Fun and gun or spread.

chef dixon
09-20-2015, 05:02 PM
Ole Miss will be in a battle in Gainesville to move the football. I expect their defense to feast on the Gator QBs though.

BrunswickDawg
09-20-2015, 05:02 PM
And is it Collins or Randy Shannon calling the shots? Isn't Shannon Co-coordinator & Associate HC?

mic
09-20-2015, 05:10 PM
And is it Collins or Randy Shannon calling the shots? Isn't Shannon Co-coordinator & Associate HC?

Bingo

SallyStansbury
09-20-2015, 05:16 PM

What if there are stringent parameters set by Coach Mullen?

1. The interior linemen will for the most part only eat space and not rush upfield, contain lanes, etc....think 74 Cherrington, think James pissed off, think Jones begging to play DE with Freeze telling him he could be catching TD passes had he gone to Oxford.
2. CB's (even NFL talent CB's) will without fail play way off the receivers for fear of "getting beat deep".
3. Certain players who buy into the "system" will be deemed starters regardless of talent or performance, favoritism/nepotism.
4. Now Manny/Collins/whomever is told to go get it done, with these strict parameters or get your ass chewed in front of the whole team or whomever.

If you are a D coordinator who made a living being aggressive and unpredictable, but then come into a position with 1-3 in place with no room for negotiation (my way or the highway), for whatever reason, I have to imagine that is difficult.

Probably need to wait and see how Manny does in more games...Collins as well. The above is 100% speculative, I have no sources and claim to know nothing, just pure conjecture based upon years of observation of our D coordinators. For the record I support Mullen and suggest further that he gets to do whatever the hell he wants and have as many requirements for a D coordinator as he chooses, but when his strategies suck (and that goes for offense too...see 1st half vs LSU) I hope he is open to self reflection and improvement.

smootness
09-20-2015, 05:20 PM

1. The interior linemen will for the most part only eat space and not rush upfield, contain lanes, etc....think 74 Cherrington, think James pissed off, think Jones begging to play DE with Freeze telling him he could be catching TD passes had he gone to Oxford.
2. CB's (even NFL talent CB's) will without fail play way off the receivers for fear of "getting beat deep".
3. Certain players who buy into the "system" will be deemed starters regardless of talent or performance, favoritism/nepotism.
4. Now Manny/Collins/whomever is told to go get it done, with these strict parameters or get your ass chewed in front of the whole team or whomever.

If you are a D coordinator who made a living being aggressive and unpredictable, but then come into a position with 1-3 in place with no room for negotiation (my way or the highway), for whatever reason, I have to imagine that is difficult.

Probably need to wait and see how Manny does in more games...Collins as well. The above is 100% speculative, I have no sources and claim to know nothing, just pure conjecture based upon years of observation of our D coordinators. For the record I support Mullen and suggest further that he gets to do whatever the hell he wants and have as many requirements for a D coordinator as he chooses, but when his strategies suck (and that goes for offense too...see 1st half vs LSU) I hope he is open to self reflection and improvement.

Were all of this true, there's no way Manny would have come back. Our fans go way overboard.

The primary reason we're not the best team in the country in every category every year? Talent. Yes, Florida has a lot more natural talent than we do.

You guys act like Mullen took over a powerhouse and has run it into the ground. It's insane.

sleepy dawg
09-20-2015, 05:26 PM
Were all of this true, there's no way Manny would have come back. Our fans go way overboard.

The primary reason we're not the best team in the country in every category every year? Talent. Yes, Florida has a lot more natural talent than we do.

You guys act like Mullen took over a powerhouse and has run it into the ground. It's insane.

It is indeed insane.

Lumpy Chucklelips
09-20-2015, 05:26 PM

I don't believe for one second your "parameters" are accurate, but for arguments sake let's say you are 100% correct....Manny knew this before he took the job the "second" time around. Which is why I don't believe they are. If Manny thought these limitations would hinder his future status as a D coordinator, he wouldn't have come back.

PMDawg
09-20-2015, 05:28 PM
Does this year's defensive look a lot like the other 6 under DM? What # coordinator is this?

If I was Manny, when DM told me to do my job and coach the defense yesterday, then I would have been quick to tell him to let me do it the way I want to do it.

Really Clark?
09-20-2015, 05:33 PM

Wow. I encourage you go back and really look at our defenses over the years with each coordinator. Now the scheme and terminology is the same or close as to what Manny and Wilson set up when they came in 2010 (Mostly Manny I believe). But each defense has had some differences and uniqueness about them that changes. Cox and Boyd played different at DT than what Wilson had Cherrington do vs Turner's guys. There are differences. Just go back and look. Now Manny instilled a bend don't break aggressive system when he came. The philosphy has not changed all that much but philosophy and scheme and game plans are not the same.

sleepy dawg
09-20-2015, 07:15 PM
I heard one of the players interview after the game talking about the defensive changes. He said it hasn't changed much since Manny left, and that they didn't change much from the D that Manny had installed when he was here.

Really Clark?
09-20-2015, 07:22 PM
I heard one of the players interview after the game talking about the defensive changes. He said it hasn't changed much since Manny left, and that they didn't change much from the D that Manny had installed when he was here.

I agree that the defense hasn't changed but players are asked or do different things and the calls have been different over the years. Each coordinator called the game differently with differing skill set of players, so that is the difference.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
09-20-2015, 07:35 PM
All I can say is I hope when Geoff faces off again against Huge Sleeze, he is more like his 2013 self and less 2014.