PDA

View Full Version : Hawk tackling

Todd4State
09-20-2015, 04:21 PM
I have been wondering if our players are having a difficult time adjusting to this style and that is why we look tentative at times and miss tackles?

msstate7
09-20-2015, 04:24 PM
We looked the same way in the egg bowl last year.

I think our defensive philosophy leads to our tentativeness. Bend, but don't break creates a passive attitude IMO. An attacking, don't give up an inch defense leads to agression

IMissJack
09-20-2015, 05:43 PM
I have been wondering if our players are having a difficult time adjusting to this style and that is why we look tentative at times and miss tackles?

What the heck is Hawk Tackling?

MafiaDawg
09-20-2015, 06:02 PM
Was wondering that too. It must be a form of not wrapping up a damn soul.

bulldawg28
09-20-2015, 06:07 PM

Pete Carroll uses a form of tackling that teaches safety yet guarantees bringing the ball carrier down. Our guys are diving and whiffing so we're not very good at it.

BulldogBear
09-20-2015, 06:13 PM
I believe tackling is the #1 thing that should be taught, practiced, and mastered. Spring camp, Fall camp, season. If you don't make the play, it doesn't matter a donkey butt what scheme I'm in that puts me in position to fail at making said play. If you can't master tackling all that defensive mastermind crap and athleticism is a waste of time.

Leroy Jenkins
09-20-2015, 06:28 PM

"Hawk" as in Seahawk. Basically a safety-ish thing. Hitting with shoulder instead of the traditional facemask way. Safer? Maybe.... Easier to miss your target? Yes.

Bass Chaser
09-20-2015, 07:46 PM
Pete Carroll uses a form of tackling that teaches safety yet guarantees bringing the ball carrier down. Our guys are diving and whiffing so we're not very good at it.

^^^ This. I don't know what we're doing but it doesn't look anything like Hawk tackling or tackling for that matter.

CadaverDawg
09-20-2015, 08:09 PM
Manny say: "Seahawks? Damn I thought it was the UT-Martin Skyhawks I was supposed to mimic".

Bass Chaser
09-20-2015, 08:24 PM
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4Q3ywwAGoVChMI55-QyPuGyAIVRH6SCh2wyg3J&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DQn_ N9rvce-g&usg=AFQjCNF0UghfsKr6L5X6YvusyWj8-J2rPg&bvm=bv.103073922,d.aWw

Hawk tackling is basically rugby tackling.

Pinto
09-20-2015, 08:24 PM
Click here. First video is overview. http://public.hudl.com/club-and-youth-sports-resources/safer-tackling-with-pete-carroll/

DistrictDawg92
09-21-2015, 08:37 AM
We are talking about SEC football players, not 7th grade football players, these guys should know how to tackle. Yeah maybe during the offseason a coach can show some pointers on how to tackle more safely, but I promise you when our players are out there in the middle of a game they are not thinking "hawk tackle" they are thinking, put the guy with the ball on the ground. In the middle of a fight you go straight to instincts. The whole "hawk tackle" thing is being way overplayed and seems to just be a message board excuse for our 3 games of missed arm tackles. It's football, hit em in the mouth. I'd rather have 3 personal fouls a game for knocking the shit out of anyone who wants to come across the middle, rather than a whole game of missed arm tackles that turn the middle of the field into the yellow brick road heading straight for the red zone. Teams will continue to gash us up the middle via run and pass all year. Every team has their weaknesses, and success is determined by how your coaches can dilute your weaknesses through your strengths, and that's on Diaz.