PDA

View Full Version : WMD's ACQB: Exorcism Edition

War Machine Dawg
09-20-2015, 01:30 PM
Peeps, the Exorcism Edition of ACQB is available at FWTCT (http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2015/9/20/9358743/wmd-armchair-qb-exorcism-edition-mississippi-state-bulldogs-dan-mullen-dak-prescott). You all know the drill.

War Machine Dawg
09-20-2015, 04:50 PM
Shameless first page bump

DanDority
09-20-2015, 08:49 PM
Good read! You nailed it, please forget about whatever "HAWKtackeling" is!

archdog
09-20-2015, 10:25 PM
Can someone explain to me first what the hell is hawk tackiling, and why can't we just tackle and cover receivers like UM does?

mcain31
09-20-2015, 10:42 PM
Can someone explain to me first what the hell is hawk tackiling, and why can't we just tackle and cover receivers like UM does?
It is the Seattle Seahawks tackling style
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t1etzT-Cgho

SDDawg
09-20-2015, 10:55 PM
A little negative for my tastes on Diaz and Shump, but both need to improve. Agree that the young guys need to get on the field more and I think we're going to start seeing that progress. I would start Gerri Green and let Richie Brown be the backup based on what I've seen.

"Hawk" tackling explained: http://smartfootball.com/defense/pete-carroll-explains-how-his-seattle-seahawks-team-tackles-better-and-with-reduced-risk-for-head-injury#sthash.yjrE4RbF.H5XeN3LF.dpbs

War Machine Dawg
09-20-2015, 11:04 PM
Basically, it's a new method of tackling taught by Pete Carroll. It's supposed to emphasize safety but still be as effective as the traditional method. And it's slowly trickling down and being used, but it's aimed at being taught to young kids in peewee ball all the way up. Don't know if it will catch on, but that's not the point.

For me, the problem is you're asking college kids to change the way they've been tackling their whole lives. It's not a big deal in the NFL, because there aren't limits on practice time and it's the players' sole job. So they can work on it all the time and become good at it. But with the limits on practice time in college, especially with the limitation on coach-player contact during the offseason, I don't see how you can expect to make that adjustment work. Even if you can, I don't think doing it in one offseason is a realistic expectation.

And to be fair, I don't know that the new tackling techniques are the problem. I know that isn't the problem for Zach Jack, Evans, and Cleveland. They just aren't SEC players. Richie Brown is a guy that makes me wonder, because he made plays his first two seasons. Now that he's starting, he might be the team leader in missed tackles and arm tackles. But what I DO know is despite some great stats and the points given up, my eyes tell me we've regressed in the tackling department. And it was terrible last year. Frankly, I think our problems have way more to do with Manny Diaz than they do with anything else. I thought at the time he was hired it was a classic Larry Templedick MSU re-tread move and didn't like it. These first three games haven't done a whole lot to change my opinion.

War Machine Dawg
09-20-2015, 11:10 PM
A little negative for my tastes on Diaz and Shump, but both need to improve. Agree that the young guys need to get on the field more and I think we're going to start seeing that progress. I would start Gerri Green and let Richie Brown be the backup based on what I've seen.

"Hawk" tackling explained: http://smartfootball.com/defense/pete-carroll-explains-how-his-seattle-seahawks-team-tackles-better-and-with-reduced-risk-for-head-injury#sthash.yjrE4RbF.H5XeN3LF.dpbs

Shump did what Shump does. He had a good game against an opponent incapable of handling his physicality. But it didn't do anything to show me he has the necessary skill set to be anything other than a FB. I would love to see him in that role, actually. He'd be hell lead blocking for Dak and Lee/Williams/Dear/Holloway/Myles. And he's a nice, reliable target out of the backfield. Not to mention he's a damn battering ram I wouldn't hesitate to hand the ball to on 3rd and 1 or 4th and 2. But he's not an SEC RB. That's just fact, and if people want to take that as negative, then so be it. I've been saying it for well over a year now, closer to two years.

tireddawg
09-20-2015, 11:19 PM
"This is why I was skeptical of bringing Diaz back"

"Gerri Green needs to be on the field."

"Why is Torrey Dale our 2nd string DT over Corey Thomas?"

"But somehow today will prove to Mullen he's capable of being an SEC feature."

"This seniority garbage of Mullen's is getting old."

"I thought Mullen got a little too cute after we scored our third TD."

"Note to Mullen: Give D-Lee the damn football."

"We also need Mullen to come out firing instead of being scared & going conservative."

"In Mullen we trust"

Question. Do you really trust Mullen?