PDA

View Full Version : Is Last Night's Bearshart win a result of opening playbook from week 1??

RougeDawg
09-20-2015, 01:02 PM
They looked comfortable with their entire playbook from the opening snap last night. They have also had the playbook wide open since week one and scored ridiculous numbers.

On the contrary, we barely made it halfway down the first page of our playbook against Southern Miss and subsequently took an entire half to get going against LSU. Then yesterday we got the playbook wide open and scored at will, albeit against a horrible team. But our players looked much more in sync. Mullen going conservative in our opening games, treating them as glorified scrimmages have once again haunted us and possibly cost us in a now, Wide Open Western Division. If Dan does not change this philosophy going forward, I'm not sure we will ever compete for the SEC or Playoffs. He's too Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde in the early OOC games and the games that matter. His motto is as if we can just flip the offensive switch, which ever week we choose, and just come out firing on all cylinders. As we saw last week, and the last 4 games of 2014, you can't give up an entire half of offense trying to get the flip turned on.

The real question is will Dan ever learn that petal to the metal is the only way we are going to win at a high level and win championships? I'm beginning to question it.

ShotgunDawg
09-20-2015, 01:07 PM
You make a good point, but they won because they were +5 on turnovers.

I dare say that, other than Vandy, any SEC team can beat any other SEC team if they are +5 on turnovers.

Dawgfan77
09-20-2015, 01:11 PM
I do think dan is more conservative than freze Like a lot if you wished we would take the fight to them rather than wait for the them to bring the fight. Other than last years big three games Mullen played and called games scared at Bama and at om

GTHOM
09-20-2015, 01:17 PM
Dude they won bc Bama giftwrapped them 24 points and then they got the garbage play of the century. Granted they have a solid team as they did last year, but karma will catch up to their asses after that one. They know it. Let them live in neverland. Theyll be woken up by the big bad ncaa and the rest of the sec west

Liverpooldawg
09-20-2015, 01:19 PM
They looked comfortable with their entire playbook from the opening snap last night. They have also had the playbook wide open since week one and scored ridiculous numbers.

On the contrary, we barely made it halfway down the first page of our playbook against Southern Miss and subsequently took an entire half to get going against LSU. Then yesterday we got the playbook wide open and scored at will, albeit against a horrible team. But our players looked much more in sync. Mullen going conservative in our opening games, treating them as glorified scrimmages have once again haunted us and possibly cost us in a now, Wide Open Western Division. If Dan does not change this philosophy going forward, I'm not sure we will ever compete for the SEC or Playoffs. He's too Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde in the early OOC games and the games that matter. His motto is as if we can just flip the offensive switch, which ever week we choose, and just come out firing on all cylinders. As we saw last week, and the last 4 games of 2014, you can't give up an entire half of offense trying to get the flip turned on.

The real question is will Dan ever learn that petal to the metal is the only way we are going to win at a high level and win championships? I'm beginning to question it.

They won because they were +5 in turnovers.

dawgs
09-20-2015, 01:45 PM
i have no doubt dan watched OM throw all over bama's secondary and will come out with the 2014 gameplan against bama and run it between the tackles over and over until we are down 10+ points.

if we don't come out slinging the ball all over the field and spreading the defense sideline to sideline, like we did in the 2nd half against bama last year and had success moving the ball, then dan needs to be checked for mental illness.

War Machine Dawg
09-20-2015, 01:54 PM

I dare say that, other than Vandy, any SEC team can beat any other SEC team if they are +5 on turnovers.

And even Vandy could probably keep it close if they're +5 TOs.

bluelightstar
09-20-2015, 02:00 PM
They won because they were +5 in turnovers.

Alabama came into Starkville in 2013 and turned the ball over 4 times, a few of which gave us the ball in plus-territory. You still have to score the points. Alabama had a massive self-destruct in this game, but Freeze is generally better than Mullen at having his team ready to take the fight to an opponent. This is particularly true in big games. I think Freeze is better than Mullen in big games, but Mullen is generally better at not getting an upset sprung on him.

Really Clark?
09-20-2015, 02:00 PM
i have no doubt dan watched OM throw all over bama's secondary and will come out with the 2014 gameplan against bama and run it between the tackles over and over until we are down 10+ points.

if we don't come out slinging the ball all over the field and spreading the defense sideline to sideline, like we did in the 2nd half against bama last year and had success moving the ball, then dan needs to be checked for mental illness.

I didn't see them throw all over them. A fluke and illegal pass (granted the umps are not calling that but it's still illegal) without those two plays UNM doesn't even have 200 yards passing for the game and have 50% completions.

Statefan
09-20-2015, 02:06 PM
Alabama came into Starkville in 2013 and turned the ball over 4 times, a few of which gave us the ball in plus-territory. You still have to score the points. Alabama had a massive self-destruct in this game, but Freeze is generally better than Mullen at having his team ready to take the fight to an opponent. This is particularly true in big games. I think Freeze is better than Mullen in big games, but Mullen is generally better at not getting an upset sprung on him.

Trade Kelly for true freshman Damian Williams and see how that game turns out

ShotgunDawg
09-20-2015, 02:09 PM
i have no doubt dan watched OM throw all over bama's secondary and will come out with the 2014 gameplan against bama and run it between the tackles over and over until we are down 10+ points..

Again, this game is very difficult to draw any big conclusions about due to the wackiness of it.

You say Ole Miss threw all over Bama's secondary, but I'll counter with, if you take away Ole Miss' miracle TD pass and the illegal play, Ole Miss ends up with 202 yards passing and a 50% completion percentage. That's hardly a winning formula.

So which is it?

ShotgunDawg
09-20-2015, 02:10 PM

Or if Dak is healthy that game.

Really Clark?
09-20-2015, 02:12 PM

Russell played most of that game.

DancingRabbit
09-20-2015, 02:27 PM
Did they practice the bank shot off the helmet against Tenn-Martin or Fresno?

Maroonthirteen
09-20-2015, 06:23 PM
Alabama 2013 > Alabama 2015. But even still, if Bama15 had AJ McCaron....they win last night despite the turnovers.

BB30
09-20-2015, 06:36 PM
Yea, didn't think their offense looked all that impressive and I still am failing to see the correlation between ole miss beating bama and that meaning we are going to suck. There is still quite a bit of football to be played. So much can happen from now until November.

RougeDawg
09-20-2015, 07:29 PM
Do I need to start putting a "Summary of Post" segment at the end for everyone to draw the correct conclusions?

Seriously the point of the entire post was, their offense never once looked shaky. They were in rhythm and on time. They've also had a wide open playbook from snap one of the season. My comparison was that Dan doesn't like to open the playbook up in early OOC gimmes and expects us to all of a sudden flip the proverbial "switch" in our first meaningful game and not miss a beat. Hence the wasted first half against LSU. I wonder if we hadn't opened it up against the buzzards and throttled them from the get go, that we wouldn't have gotten going much quicker against LSU and probably win that game.

Yes I know about the damn turnovers last night. I'm talking about their offense not looking out of sync at all in a very hostile environment, even though they were given some short fields.

MAIN POINT--- Dan puts us on cruise control in gimme OOC's and expects a "Green Flag after the Caution with 15 laps to go" offense with just the wink of an eye. It doesn't work that way and we suffered the L to LSU because of it.

USAF72DAWGS
09-20-2015, 07:47 PM
I didn't see them throw all over them. A fluke and illegal pass (granted the umps are not calling that but it's still illegal) without those two plays UNM doesn't even have 200 yards passing for the game and have 50% completions.

I have read several post referring to "illegal play" which play was it that was illegal. I must have missed that one!

missouridawg
09-20-2015, 07:51 PM

It wasn't just 5 turnovers. A few of those were inside the 30. Kudos to OM for playing very well, but Bama gifted them that game with some easy spots.

DancingRabbit
09-20-2015, 07:58 PM
I have read several post referring to "illegal play" which play was it that was illegal. I must have missed that one!

Pop pass with a lineman down field for a TD

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/X23fsHM96LUVdP3i-DdJH6TQWZU=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4078846/AIniluj.0.jpg

Really Clark?
09-20-2015, 08:01 PM

The play where they had the review for Kelly being over the line of scrimmage. The review was right in that he was not over the line and the overturn was correct. What it also showed was an offensive lineman five yards down the field. This has been a big debate with coaches who are illegally having their lineman go pass the 3 yards from the line of scrimmage they are allowed to bring the linebackers and DB's in. Especially on these pop passes. The NCAA was going to change the rule to just one yard because it has become a big problem with certain teams. They are getting away with it because refs haven't really called it much over the years. They are suppose to watching for that more closely this year, especially on that play and with certain teams who are knowingly a using the rule. It's not illegal in the sense they missed the call. But because the offense was deliberately doing it.

USAF72DAWGS
09-20-2015, 08:44 PM
Pop pass with a lineman down field for a TD

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/X23fsHM96LUVdP3i-DdJH6TQWZU=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4078846/AIniluj.0.jpg

Ok, I saw that wouldn't call it an illegal play as much as a missed call. Thought I missed something. It seems the officiating hasn't got any better. They have missed that calls and some more obvious. They have a tough job though and get to right most of the time. Thanks!

State82
09-20-2015, 08:57 PM
Did they practice the bank shot off the helmet against Tenn-Martin or Fresno?

Good one.

Really Clark?
09-20-2015, 08:59 PM
Ok, I saw that wouldn't call it an illegal play as much as a missed call. Thought I missed something. It seems the officiating hasn't got any better. They have missed that calls and some more obvious. They have a tough job though and get to right most of the time. Thanks!

A missed call is one thing and I agree. But when it is done deliberately and coached by teams to do it purposefully, I think that illegal. Running your lineman down field on purpose to simulate a running play to draw the defense up and then throwing the ball is drawing up an illegal play. Regardless if the officials call it it's still an illegal play call.

Liverpooldawg
09-20-2015, 09:07 PM
A missed call is one thing and I agree. But when it is done deliberately and coached by teams to do it purposefully, I think that illegal. Running your lineman down field on purpose to simulate a running play to draw the defense up and then throwing the ball is drawing up an illegal play. Regardless if the officials call it it's still an illegal play call.

It ain't illegal if it doesn't ever get called, and it hardly ever is. One of the first things offensive linemen are taught is how to hold without getting caught. They do it every play. It's not legal but it's not ever called if done right. The refs ignore it.

ShotgunDawg
09-20-2015, 09:13 PM
It ain't illegal if it doesn't ever get called, and it hardly ever is. One of the first things offensive linemen are taught is how to hold without getting caught. They do it every play. It's not legal but it's not ever called if done right. The refs ignore it.

True, but this is a rule that truly needs to be corrected. The defense legitimately thinks this is a running play because it's blocked that way

Really Clark?
09-20-2015, 09:19 PM

Well first off, illegal is illegal, getting caught has nothing to do with it being illegal. You are taught ways to hold that won't get called. One of the reasons it won't get called if done properly is because the defense can still beat that type of hold with talent and/or technique. It has also been allowed to protect QB's. And holding calls are still called in games. These are not and that is the problem. This is deliberately designing a play that is knowingly illegal from the beginning. I love misdirection plays but if the offense is allowed to do what ever we just need to quit complaining about defenses then because it will keep getting worse. And to be clear, I already stated earlier that I didn't like changing the rule, just enforce it and it will stop.

Liverpooldawg
09-20-2015, 09:28 PM
Well first off, illegal is illegal, getting caught has nothing to do with it being illegal. You are taught ways to hold that won't get called. One of the reasons it won't get called if done properly is because the defense can still beat that type of hold with talent and/or technique. It has also been allowed to protect QB's. And holding calls are still called in games. These are not and that is the problem. This is deliberately designing a play that is knowingly illegal from the beginning. I love misdirection plays but if the offense is allowed to do what ever we just need to quit complaining about defenses then because it will keep getting worse. And to be clear, I already stated earlier that I didn't like changing the rule, just enforce it and it will stop.
A hold is a hold, they are all illegal. Teaching a linemen how to do it and not get caught is no different than drawing up illegal plays that you know most likely won't get called. It's the same thing. My old high school lost a state championship game on a play that had at least two linemen way down field. We complained but you know what, we still don't have tht particular trophy. Until it starts getting called people are going to do it. That's just the way it is.

archdog
09-20-2015, 09:36 PM

It was the forward pass one. Not because he was past the line, but because they had linemen 8 yards down field.

Really Clark?
09-20-2015, 10:18 PM
A hold is a hold, they are all illegal. Teaching a linemen how to do it and not get caught is no different than drawing up illegal plays that you know most likely won't get called. It's the same thing. My old high school lost a state championship game on a play that had at least two linemen way down field. We complained but you know what, we still don't have tht particular trophy. Until it starts getting called people are going to do it. That's just the way it is.

It's still illegal. Both are still illegal but one still gets called. And to a lot of refs they don't consider that holding anymore if done with the right way. Or not a callable offense anyway. Can you hand check a receiver going down field? Well no but they will let some physical plays go in a game if it is truly not disrupting or causing an unfair balance for once side or the other. Schematically to do that is beyond just allowing some physical play that is just a one on one battle that both sides still can win either way. No competitive unbalance. When you are designing a play to think run because by rule it has to be a running play to only throw an illegal forward pass, that is a competitive unbalanced situation that is disrupting the entire defense. Not just a one on one battle.