PDA

View Full Version : Peters

BB30
09-20-2015, 10:49 AM
Was on the road yesterday, haven't got to watch the replay of our game yet, how did peters and the rest of our young defensive guys look?

GreenheadDawg
09-20-2015, 11:03 AM
Doesn't matter. They will be sitting next week against an SEC team alongside Donald Gray

Dallas_Dawg
09-20-2015, 11:06 AM
Peters was in on a couple of tackles. On one kickoff, he lit the returner up pretty good.
At one point in the game, Gerri Green, JT gray, And Peters were all on field at same time. We were making hits behind the line of scrimmage and gang tackling better when that bunch was on the field.
If only Dan would pull his head out of his ass. Richie, Zack Jack, and Coman are inferior to those three mentioned above

BB30
09-20-2015, 11:11 AM
Thanks, yea would like to see them get some meaningful reps next week

Coach34
09-20-2015, 12:00 PM
Peters is not ready to start. He looks the part- but his reaction time isn't there yet. Same with McLaurin

Green and Harris do look ready to play more though

bulldawg28
09-20-2015, 12:17 PM
McLaurin can contribute now at Safety.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-20-2015, 01:00 PM
McLaurin can contribute now at Safety.

Mclaurin was also the reason they almost caught that long TD everyone was mad at Smokey for. We were in cover 2 & Smokey let him go to Mark but Mark wasn't there. The coaches got mad at Smokey because he stopped running to fuss at Mark wasn't there instead of trying to recover not because he made a mistake. He could a couple series a game though.

Really Clark?
09-20-2015, 01:35 PM
Peters and McLaurin I believe are going to be really good safeties for us, in the future. Just not sure that it will really begin until next year when they are ready.

confucius say
09-20-2015, 05:12 PM
Peters needs to play more now. He is always around the ball. Had five tackles in less than a half yesterday. Use him around the line of scrimmage and he will make plays. I didn't see him bust any coverages either, but I'm not naive enough to think he is ready in that area (but neither are our starting safeties, so whatever).

Really Clark?
09-20-2015, 05:38 PM
Peters needs to play more now. He is always around the ball. Had five tackles in less than a half yesterday. Use him around the line of scrimmage and he will make plays. I didn't see him bust any coverages either, but I'm not naive enough to think he is ready in that area (but neither are our starting safeties, so whatever).

So what? You want to convert him into a LB or change to a 4-2-5 with him as rover or stay 4-3 and have one of our LB's cover receivers even more than they do now? This is what you want to do?

bulldawg28
09-20-2015, 06:02 PM
Mclaurin was also the reason they almost caught that long TD everyone was mad at Smokey for. We were in cover 2 & Smokey let him go to Mark but Mark wasn't there. The coaches got mad at Smokey because he stopped running to fuss at Mark wasn't there instead of trying to recover not because he made a mistake. He could a couple series a game though.

A corner should never just turn a guy over unless there is an immediate threat to their zone. He's no worse than the current safeties we have. He actually broke up a pass across the middle to the TE which is promising when you watch other safeties stay in no ma'am land only to make tackles after the catch.

Really Clark?
09-20-2015, 06:11 PM
A corner should never just turn a guy over unless there is an immediate threat to their zone. He's no worse than the current safeties we have. He actually broke up a pass across the middle to the TE which is promising when you watch other safeties stay in no ma'am land only to make tackles after the catch.

Yes he is worse right now. He has the tools to be really good but he is a worse safety right now.

Coach007
09-20-2015, 06:21 PM
Yeah.... has there ever been a season when we have not called for the back ups?

Saltydog
09-20-2015, 06:29 PM
Prime example is Marlon Humphrey last night against UM. He wasn't disciplined enough to stay with the WR and Chad Kelly hit them on the long TD pass that at first glance appeared to be past the l.o.s. It's the mental aspect that they lack. Right now, they're playing on physical ability alone.

Really Clark?
09-20-2015, 06:33 PM
Prime example is Marlon Humphrey last night against UM. He wasn't disciplined enough to stay with the WR and Chad Kelly hit them on the long TD pass that at first glance appeared to be past the l.o.s. It's the mental aspect that they lack. Right now, they're playing on physical ability alone.

And he is a 5 star that redshirted as well.

GreenheadDawg
09-20-2015, 06:34 PM
Yes he is worse right now. He has the tools to be really good but he is a worse safety right now.

haha that's debatable. I'm not having this argument with you again but I really would like to understand why you think it is better to have 2 safeties have proven time and time again that they are incompetent than have a couple young extremely talented guys get game experience to learn. Yeh they may be out of position or bust coverage early on, but the Coman and Market do the same thing now and they HAVE game experience. I'm curious to know why you are so adamant on this? Promise I'm not being a smartass, I don't know X's and O's like some of you so I really want to know why you would rather role the dice with 2 guys that have proven they can't do it

Ifyouonlyknew
09-20-2015, 06:39 PM
Through 3 games we've given up 2 passes over 25yds & 1 on a double reverse flea flicker. Have they made a lot of impact plays? No but they haven't given up big plays either. We need to make more plays on the back end but not giving up the big plays are just important to me.

confucius say
09-20-2015, 06:44 PM
So what? You want to convert him into a LB or change to a 4-2-5 with him as rover or stay 4-3 and have one of our LB's cover receivers even more than they do now? This is what you want to do?

Of course not. Go look at the film yesterday. He played in the box a good bit and we rolled to one high safety looks (cover three, man free/cover one), and he made plays at, near, and behind the line of scrimmage.

But since you asked, Personally, I would love to see more man free with our strong safety (when it's peters) walked down. We have legit corners who can bump and run. Your other safety is "free" so no coverage issue there. The gamble of course is a mobile qb against man (nobody responsible for him) and a mismatch on a backer. But the upside is you are nearly always bringing pressure out of man coverage looks.

Oh, and for the record, I would love to see more nickel packages (your 4-2-5). Basically taking jackson out for peters. I would do that on 3rd and long consistently.

Bottom line is he is a playmaker, has a nose for the ball, and makes tackles. Get him on the field in some capacity more than we are doing now, at least until he proves he is not ready. Can't be worse than the safety play we are getting now and upside is much higher.

Really Clark?
09-20-2015, 06:54 PM
haha that's debatable. I'm not having this argument with you again but I really would like to understand why you think it is better to have 2 safeties have proven time and time again that they are incompetent than have a couple young extremely talented guys get game experience to learn. Yeh they may be out of position or bust coverage early on, but the Coman and Market do the same thing now and they HAVE game experience. I'm curious to know why you are so adamant on this? Promise I'm not being a smartass, I don't know X's and O's like some of you so I really want to know why you would rather role the dice with 2 guys that have proven they can't do it

I don't know when we have ever debated this topic. Maybe we have. A lot of it has to do with the perception of what is happening vs what the player actual role is in a given situation or game. Take USM for example. What was the first thing you thought and/or posted about when they hit those passes underneath the safeties? Were the safeties out of position or was it something else? People even posted about the issue with our LB drops and USM's OL making a big whole because they were down field. But it was the safeties fault we were told time and time again and posters were wrong about that a lot. There was a bad play by B Brown on the TD and Market didn't get over in time. But all night and for days. Safety safety safety and it wasn't nearly an issue as the perception given what they offense was doing, the LB drops, and what the coverage call was. And to be clear I am not saying they are not more talented that some of our safeties right now. But they were lost at times against Northwestern State. And for coverage, someone reminded me did these two play anything but cover 2 in coverage? What do you think a HUNH offense would do to exploit them? And forget playing them together right now. Not saying you have but there have been some. I think it was stated earlier they could get a series or two in games maybe right now. Maybe they can and we don't have a problem, especially if it's schemed around their strengths and inexperience. But for their faults Market and Coman will make far more right calls and adjustments for the defense. Not just their assignment. They can't do that either or not enough to depend on them to get people lined up properly.

Really Clark?
09-20-2015, 07:04 PM
Of course not. Go look at the film yesterday. He played in the box a good bit and we rolled to one high safety looks (cover three, man free/cover one), and he made plays at, near, and behind the line of scrimmage.

But since you asked, Personally, I would love to see more man free with our strong safety (when it's peters) walked down. We have legit corners who can bump and run. Your other safety is "free" so no coverage issue there. The gamble of course is a mobile qb against man (nobody responsible for him) and a mismatch on a backer. But the upside is you are nearly always bringing pressure out of man coverage looks.

Oh, and for the record, I would love to see more nickel packages (your 4-2-5). Basically taking jackson out for peters. I would do that on 3rd and long consistently.

Bottom line is he is a playmaker, has a nose for the ball, and makes tackles. Get him on the field in some capacity more than we are doing now, at least until he proves he is not ready. Can't be worse than the safety play we are getting now and upside is much higher.

Of course he is play maker and has a nose for the ball. You are also eliminating a big part of his skill set, as a ball hawk in coverage. He needs to be an all around safety and be able to contribute for every play of the game to maximize his ability. You are talking specialized situations. Fine. I can go along with that and there are no indications he won't get more of that type of playing time. As soon as he knows what to do when the offense checks off or we check into something different. Until then he won't or shouldn't play much. Especially with two misdirection teams coming up. Now maybe he is closer to play in that capacity. But I don't think so. And nothing against that team yesterday and he did some really good things but lets remember the competition level.

BB30
09-20-2015, 07:04 PM
I really would hope our coaches are playing the guys that give us the best opportunity to win the game and be successful. If our coaching staff isn't playing them yet they obviously aren't ready. I do think getting them in in some meaningful situations could benefit their development.

Bubb Rubb
09-21-2015, 08:39 AM

To be fair, it's not uncommon to release a receiver and attack the line of scrimmage when you seen offensive linemen runblocking past the line of scrimmage.

It's criminal that Ole Miss got away with that play.

confucius say
09-21-2015, 08:45 AM
To be fair, it's not uncommon to release a receiver and attack the line of scrimmage when you seen offensive linemen runblocking past the line of scrimmage.

One if the biggest issues in college football right now is poor officiating. Blown calls of that magnitude are unacceptable in 2015. Not sure it decided the game, but that can't happen. Auburn does same thing often so keep an eye out. See below.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5HwTY0WITP4

msstate7
09-21-2015, 08:46 AM

We should run a play like that at least once a game. The reward (big play) is much greater than the risk (penalty)

msstate7
09-21-2015, 08:47 AM
One if the biggest issues in college football right now is poor officiating. Blown calls of that magnitude are unacceptable in 2015. Not sure it decided the game, but that can't happen. Auburn does same thing often so keep an eye out. See below.

It'll be no passing LOS on pass plays soon

Bubb Rubb
09-21-2015, 09:32 AM

I don't think there's any question that Bama probably wins that game if they stop them there. They had all the momentum at that point.

LC Dawg
09-21-2015, 09:41 AM

Does it help us playing Auburn this week that Saban is probably complaining about this to the league office this week?

chef dixon
09-21-2015, 09:47 AM

I don't know why they changed the rule here. Essentially you are 100% giving yourself up as a runner when half your body has crossed the LOS, but you can still throw it forward? That's asinine and not fair to the defense. A couple of fluke plays really helped OM win but they were aggressive enough to earn the W. Not to mention Alabama is probably bottom half of the SEC when it comes to offensive playmakers, which is quite embarrassing considering their recruiting.

Wasn't it Madkin a while back who had a toe on the LOS and it ended up costing us a game against UGA?

confucius say
09-21-2015, 10:03 AM

It should be one yard, like the nfl. The ncaa rules committee proposed changing the rule from 3 yards to 1 yard this past offseason, but the proposal was tabled.

The thing is, I don't understand how the two refs designated to watch the ol (the umpire and the white hat), plus the two line judges, miss that. The nfl calls it all the time. Saw it called twice yesterday. It ain't hard.

msstate7
09-21-2015, 10:11 AM
It should be one yard, like the nfl. The ncaa rules committee proposed changing the rule from 3 yards to 1 yard this past offseason, but the proposal was tabled.

The thing is, I don't understand how the two refs designated to watch the ol (the umpire and the white hat), plus the two line judges, miss that. The nfl calls it all the time. Saw it called twice yesterday. It ain't hard.

Nfl refs are in another world compared to college refs

Really Clark?
09-21-2015, 10:16 AM

I don't even care if they don't change the OL up field rule, just call the one on the books. And it's not even about this one game either. It's been as issue for a while. But using this game the OL not only is up field too far but he is bypassing the LB to engage the safety on a pass play. Yeah the safety was dropping down, because he is reading run because by rule it should have been a run. Now there was some inexperience at play and coverage issue but it's pretty easy to have a blown coverage by multiple DB's when they are reading the play the same.

confucius say
09-21-2015, 10:22 AM
I don't even care if they don't change the OL up field rule, just call the one on the books. And it's not even about this one game either. It's been as issue for a while. But using this game the OL not only is up field too far but he is bypassing the LB to engage the safety on a pass play. Yeah the safety was dropping down, because he is reading run because by rule it should have been a run. Now there was some inexperience at play and coverage issue but it's pretty easy to have a blown coverage by multiple DB's when they are reading the play the same.

Yep

confucius say
09-21-2015, 10:27 AM
Nfl refs are in another world compared to college refs

Truth. Watched two NFL games yesterday, so much better. even the ref addressing the crowd after a replay was so much better, laying out the what, when, where, why, and how. Almost turned into a narrative, but I prefer that over the college way.

It is crazy to me that in a multiple billion dollar industry, refs are largely unaccountable. The head ref should be required to meet with media post game.