PDA

View Full Version : Think Saban has already penned a letter to head of officials about illegal men ...

IMissJack
09-20-2015, 09:43 AM
down field? This is becoming more and more common. I saw some commentator do an in depth piece on this last year regarding Baylor. They consistently were doing it and getting big passing plays. It needs to be enforced.

msstate7
09-20-2015, 09:45 AM
Won't be long till olinemen can't be pass the LOS at all on pass plays

IMissJack
09-20-2015, 09:48 AM
The O already has a big advantage these days with the no touch rules for receivers and protection of qbs, don't think they need anymore.

coastratdog
09-20-2015, 10:32 AM
As I was going nuts about our pass coverage against USM I didn't realize the scheme of having an online downfield. It holds the LB's in check because they defend the run first. If it could be proven during a game that this is done intentially then they should penalize the offense more harshly. As an old lineman I knew when I was downfield.

Really Clark?
09-20-2015, 10:36 AM
It's discussed a good bit after the USM how they were doing it consistently and with more than one lineman at times. But everybody was still to busy freaking out over all the holes in the middle of the field. Which happens a lot when your lineman are sucking the LB's down thinking its run. We still had good bit to clean up from the LB position from that game but it has been noticed for awhile across the country. My thing is, I know it's hard for them to see at times but if they just start enforcing the rules and let it be known that they are then you don't even have to change the rules. It's done on purpose and would be stopped on purpose pretty quickly.

DancingRabbit
09-20-2015, 11:03 AM
It's being used intentionally with predictably good results. Safeties and LB's read the O-line and react accordingly. One or two linemen go downfield to engage a LB, it opens up the middle and leaves corners with no safety help.

And guess who are at the front of the group not wanting a stricter rule? Both of them used it yesterday to score a TD.

Auburn's Gus Malzahn and Ole Miss' Hugh Freeze are among a group of head coaches nationally who think an NCAA Rules Committee proposal to change the illegal man downfield penalty is misguided.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12387098/illegal-man-downfield-penalty-misguided-some-coaches-say

Really Clark?
09-20-2015, 11:19 AM
It's being used intentionally with predictably good results. Safeties and LB's read the O-line and react accordingly. One or two linemen go downfield to engage a LB, it opens up the middle and leaves corners with no safety help.

And guess who are at the front of the group not wanting a stricter rule? Both of them used it yesterday to score a TD.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12387098/illegal-man-downfield-penalty-misguided-some-coaches-say

Yes they are. I do agree with Dabo though. We didn't need a new rule just enforce the rule we have. I guarantee you it wouldn't have it happen but just a few times to major offenders. It's intentional and can be stopped intentionally.

DancingRabbit
09-20-2015, 11:27 AM
Yes they are. I do agree with Dabo though. We didn't need a new rule just enforce the rule we have. I guarantee you it wouldn't have it happen but just a few times to major offenders. It's intentional and can be stopped intentionally.

That's me too. It's supposed to be a point of emphasis. So enforce the damn rule! Maybe they need to make it review-able if the guys on the field can't call it.

Really Clark?
09-20-2015, 11:36 AM
That's me too. It's supposed to be a point of emphasis. So enforce the damn rule! Maybe they need to make it review-able if the guys on the field can't call it.

Well it is hard to call but then again if you watching for holds on the line maybe just make a more conscious effort to call illegal lineman downfield. Your eyes are on the line for holds anyway and between one of the two, if you are consciously trying to keep it in check especially when you know a team is flagrant about it, you might catch that or a hold call. But I also would like the conferences to make sure they are calling it somewhat equal. You would hate to get a crew that doesn't make the effort in a big playoff game when the defense is use to teams playing it straight because their conference doesn't allow it to happen. But consistence officials call are hard even inside a conference much less across all conferences. But that is another topic.

tiewan
09-23-2015, 04:44 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25313667/no-surprise-saban-says-ole-miss-pop-pass-td-submitted-to-sec-office?FTAG=YHF7e3228e

DancingRabbit
09-23-2015, 05:52 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25313667/no-surprise-saban-says-ole-miss-pop-pass-td-submitted-to-sec-office?FTAG=YHF7e3228e

That's good. Maybe they will call it on Auburn.

Ha, watch us get called for it. But if we run a lineman 5 yards downfield to engage a LB then we should be called for it.

Our luck at Auburn, they will abuse it to score on us twice, and we get called for it incorrectly.

gravedigger
09-23-2015, 06:02 PM
Best defense for it? Be guilty of it till they call it.

Use it against them flagrantly and dare the refs to call it.

They will cave and give you the same advantage or call it and take it from the other team.

You win either way

Jack Lambert
09-23-2015, 08:50 PM
That Adam Sadler (longest yard) play should have been a 15 yard penalty.

Bama_Dawg
09-24-2015, 09:03 AM
That Adam Sadler (longest yard) play should have been a 15 yard penalty.

Don't start Jack. I'll get Switowski to hit you so hard you Sh!t yourself. ***

NSFW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-jFePqqoTQ

Irondawg
09-24-2015, 09:30 AM
Just make it reviewable and subject to coaches challenge.

What's the current penalty for it - 5 or 10?