PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning QB- Blowout Edition

Coach34
09-20-2015, 09:40 AM
1. The steaks, boudin, and chicken from the grill turned out perfectly.

2. I'm still pissed off about the delay of game penalty.

3. Dontavian Lee did nothing but show he is still our best RB with the ball in his hands. Why he is 3rd string is a mystery. He must not practice worth a shit- only thing I can come up with. I would rather give away tendencies vs Auburn and them know DLee is coming in to run and Shump is coming in to block than watch Shump get the RB carries Saturday.

4. Fitz-Staley is going to be an outstanding QB battle. Hell, play them both next year. Fitz is the better runner and gives us something there. Staley throws a beautiful ball- he just flipped it 50 yards for his TD pass dead on the money. Easy Like Sunday Morning. Both QB's are better than Dakota was as a R-Fr. Do they have his heart and leadership? Unlikely- but we can hope they are close. Learning from him is huge for both guys. Our QB situation moving forward is bright.

5. We had a DL shift yesterday giving NW St the outside. No idea why. We wont play that way vs Auburn. We arent that stupid. After watching LSU pound Auburn- really shows how good of a job we did last week only to piss that effort away. Did I mention I am still pissed about the delay of game penalty?

6. Our tackling is atrocious. Richie is the best in the country at ALMOST making a great play. He is almost there constantly. Just barely misses tackle after tackle. He reads even better than Bennie- he just cant quite make the play. Coman pisses me off- he misses tackles without even being blocked. Peters and McLaurin arent ready to play yet tho. Good to see Green and Harris make some plays at LB. Poor Gerri knocks a guy's helmet off and then gets a penalty for continuing to block him when he had no helmet. Those guys need to be on the field more.

7. We're going to miss Calhoun and Redmond next year. Dropoff at CB will be obvious. Need Cleveland, Jiles, and Smokey to keep busting their ass. Smitherman too

8. I'm still pissed about the delay of game penalty

9. Donald Gray- please learn the damn playbook. You can help us alot.

10. These next 2 weeks define our season. Auburn is must-win. They are on the ropes and have lost confidence. We have to go there and handle business. Absolutely no choice. No excuses. We need a Southern Miss "this is our Super Bowl effort" gameplan vs Auburn.

"Rally round the family, with a pocket full of shells"

WinningIsRelentless
09-20-2015, 09:55 AM
I won't trade our qb situation with anyone in the country. Never thought I would say that about State.

ShotgunDawg
09-20-2015, 09:58 AM
Coach, you know I love Lee, but I think Dear may even be better. He's a carbon copy of J Rob with more top end speed

KB21
09-20-2015, 10:01 AM
Coach, you know I love Lee, but I think Dear may even be better. He's a carbon copy of J Rob with more top end speed

I'm glad someone else sees that. He's built just like JRob. He has that short area burst of speed and the ability to make the first man miss that JRob has as well. I really think we need to be developing him as a running back and not a slot/h-receiver.

ShotgunDawg
09-20-2015, 10:04 AM
We can complain about our recruiting in certain areas, but one thing is for certain: Mullen has ran circles and done backflips around the other coaches in this conference in QB recruiting.

We have an Ohio State type QB situation emerging. Awesome talents.
Staley has Dirk Nowitzki touch for a big man.

Bucky Dog
09-20-2015, 10:06 AM
I think Lee, Williams and Dear are all better runners than Shumpert. It is obvious he doesn't have the break away speed.

Coach34
09-20-2015, 10:07 AM

but he is a slot and hasnt practiced at TB- and apparently it takes years to learn how to play TB at State

KB21
09-20-2015, 10:08 AM
We have some young safeties that just have the look. Jamal Peters and Mark McLaurin are true freshmen that have NFL bodies already. The same goes for Brandon Bryant, who is a red shirt freshman and has an NFL body even though he came out of a small 3A school as an underpublicized athlete.

Of course, Kivon Coman has an NFL body as well, but his mental ability for the game hasn't caught up with his physical ability.

WinningIsRelentless
09-20-2015, 10:08 AM
I think Lee, Williams and Dear are all better runners than Shumpert. It is obvious he doesn't have the break away speed.
Add Gabe to that list also

ShotgunDawg
09-20-2015, 10:11 AM
Whatever order you want to rank our ball carriers, Shump comes in at 4th. Think about that.

cheewgumm
09-20-2015, 10:21 AM
I'd put Myles at TB

RiverCityDawg
09-20-2015, 10:37 AM
Whatever order you want to rank our ball carriers, Shump comes in at 4th. Think about that.

Lee, Williams, Holloway, Dear and Myles are all better than Shump at taking a handoff and running the ball.

Jacksondevildog
09-20-2015, 10:40 AM
We all know this, but why doesn't Dan. That's what concerns me about him leading our program. We would probably redshirt an 18 year old Herschel Walker right now.
Lee, Williams, Holloway, Dear and Myles are all better than Shump at taking a handoff and running the ball.

Really Clark?
09-20-2015, 10:44 AM
We all know this, but why doesn't Dan. That's what concerns me about him leading our program. We would probably redshirt an 18 year old Herschel Walker right now.

When I see leading our program, it means the entire football program not just game results. In that regard, there hasn't been a coach better in our lifetime. He is great at leading the program.

Jacksondevildog
09-20-2015, 10:50 AM
I agree that he has taken us to heights that we haven't seen, and I'm not saying we should get rid of him. I'm just saying that some of the things he does with personnel is baffling.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
09-20-2015, 10:55 AM
When I see leading our program, it means the entire football program not just game results. In that regard, there hasn't been a coach better in our lifetime. He is great at leading the program.

Right on! Right on!

Really Clark?
09-20-2015, 11:02 AM
I agree that he has taken us to heights that we haven't seen, and I'm not saying we should get rid of him. I'm just saying that some of the things he does with personnel is baffling.

I don't disagree. I just think the leading the program phrase maybe shouldn't be used in a narrow issue like that. He is great leader for the program doesn't mean he doesn't have flaws in certain areas but overall I don't think we have ever had it better. I, like so many, can let game results taint the entire scope of what he has done if we so choose. I will admit I have become a big picture process type over the years. Results take care of themselves and it has served me well in my careers.

SDDawg
09-20-2015, 11:05 AM

We are fine, seriously. Let's see if what we know we can do shows up on the Plains next week. If it does, we are rolling.

sleepy dawg
09-20-2015, 11:08 AM

Those guys have had very few carries, and Williams is only averaging 3.7 per carry to Shump's 4.6, and shump had most of his carries against LSU while Williams had most of his against an FCS school. For the time being, I'm not ready to say Aeris is definitely better than Shump... He might be, but he hasn't shown it yet to me.

Jacksondevildog
09-20-2015, 11:09 AM
For the time being, I am saying that Lee is better than Shump. He doesn't fall down when a feather falls on his shoulder pads and can cut more at the line.

RiverCityDawg
09-20-2015, 11:10 AM

Like most coaches, he values experience over the unknown a little more than fans. But it's time to roll the dice (if he views it as that) because handing off to Shump is largely a waste of time. I'm willing to give the coaches a little bit of a pass given the strangeness of the USM game and the "size" of the LSU game, but from here on I think we have to increase carries for the non-Shump options.

Sacrifice
09-20-2015, 11:44 AM
For the time being, I am saying that Lee is better than Shump. He doesn't fall down when a feather falls on his shoulder pads and can cut more at the line.
Right, lee is hands down better than Shump. I believe it was Lee's very first carry, as soon as he got the hand off the defender was in his face. He side stepped his ass got through the line juked another defender and broke off a 24 yard run. With Shump that's a 3 yard loss.

EngineerDawg
09-20-2015, 12:46 PM
C34, I have a hunch Lee missed curfew before the USM game. Being it was in his hometown... Just a hunch. :)

Intramural All-American
09-20-2015, 12:47 PM
Lee and Williams have been in the doghouse for missing curfew the night before the USA game. Don't know how long that lasts, but that's why they barely touched the field against southern. Then it's tough to just throw them out against LSU for their first college action. Not that I agree with how it was handled, but that's what happened.

Coach34
09-20-2015, 12:51 PM
C34, I have a hunch Lee missed curfew before the USM game. Being it was in his hometown... Just a hunch. :)

I heard that too- but it was the same for the LSU game and they still arent getting enough reps.

War Machine Dawg
09-20-2015, 05:28 PM
Bump for C34. He's always got a good take too.