PDA

View Full Version : Running Back Question....

CadaverDawg
07-20-2013, 12:46 PM
I know we've discussed the RB's some, but does anyone know for sure how healthy Griffin is? He looked really really good in minimal time last year, and he is a prototypical SEC RB in my opinion. Is there any chance that he will get significant snaps this year?

I sure would hate for a guy with that much talent to come and go without making more of an impact in his career.

Coach34
07-20-2013, 01:28 PM
He is now 8 months post-op, so he should be moving pretty good. He has almost another month and a half until we kickoff- so you have to believe medically he will be ready to go. Every thing you hear is that he has been a rehab warrior- so no worries there.

The question becomes- how do you divide carries? There is no way to effectively play 4 RB's- hell, you really can't with 3. Give me a huge dose of Perk and JRob the first 3 games and let's see where stand

hailmari
07-20-2013, 01:45 PM
If he is able, I'd feed that beast against Alcorn State and get his confidence up early. But "if he is able" is the kicker..

CadaverDawg
07-20-2013, 01:47 PM
He is now 8 months post-op, so he should be moving pretty good. He has almost another month and a half until we kickoff- so you have to believe medically he will be ready to go. Every thing you hear is that he has been a rehab warrior- so no worries there.

The question becomes- how do you divide carries? There is no way to effectively play 4 RB's- hell, you really can't with 3. Give me a huge dose of Perk and JRob the first 3 games and let's see where stand

Yea, I guess I just feel like our offense is better suited for a physical, downhill, power runner like Griffin as long as Russell is our QB...and I would hate to not get to see that happen with Griffin. I hate that he has been injured so much.

CadaverDawg
07-20-2013, 01:48 PM
If he is able, I'd feed that beast against Alcorn State and get his confidence up early. But "if he is able" is the kicker..

Good point. If able, I would do that in the opener as well.

BeastMan
07-20-2013, 02:31 PM
The major concern I have on him isn't physical. Don't forget that there was a lingering mental hangover of sorts he had on his last knee injury. He wasn't really coming into his own until last season. 2 years ago he was fine physically but still didn't trust that knee. I hope he comes out blazing but I'm keepin my expectations I put on him what I consider fair.

Coach34
07-20-2013, 02:37 PM
Yea, I guess I just feel like our offense is better suited for a physical, downhill, power runner like Griffin as long as Russell is our QB...and I would hate to not get to see that happen with Griffin. I hate that he has been injured so much.

JRob averaged 6 ypc last year. THAT'S the kind of back we need period

CadaverDawg
07-20-2013, 05:07 PM
JRob averaged 6 ypc last year. THAT'S the kind of back we need period

Oh I agree, and I think JRob is legit...but this is Griftin's last season, and I think he could be a great short yardage and goal line back. Hell, he looked like an every down back at times last year...showed toughness in between the tackles AND incredible speed on that long TD run against Arkie. It's probably just me selfishly wanting the guy to have one big season as one of our feature backs, but that ship may have sailed.

Coach34
07-20-2013, 05:15 PM
but this is Griftin's last season, .

why? He's a Jr

CadaverDawg
07-20-2013, 05:18 PM
why? He's a Jr

I thought he was a Senior? My bad. I thought this was his last year.

FISHDAWG
07-22-2013, 08:34 AM
I think we saw this with Whitley last year