PDA

View Full Version : Xs and Os question about OM's offense

ShotgunDawg
09-20-2015, 09:02 AM
It's overreaction Sunday

First off, congrats to Ole Miss for their great win. I would gladly sign up for the gifts they got last night and never care how I got it done.

- Ole Miss scored 24 points off of 5 Bama turnovers last night, all of which I believe we're on Bama's side of the field. So let's not get carried away with how good they are. Sure they forced some of those turnovers, but most were just Bama having butter fingers. Extremely beatable

- Bama is still a really really good team. Bama only lost by 6 points last night after giving a solid team 5 turnovers, all of which were on their side of the field.

- so that brings me to my Xs and Os question: How is Ole Miss moving the ball with the Tyler Russell offense? I use "moving" loosely because their offense made some big plays last night but one was on an illegal play and the other times they started on Bama's side of the field. However, Ole Miss has ZERO threat in the run game and doesn't even try to run the ball, yet find a way to get big plays in the passing game off play action.

Can someone explain what they are doing to create big pass plays without an elite QB, running game, and mediocre offensive line?

It seems to me that their entire offense is based off the big play and they set defenses up with other plays that they don't intend to work.

Why not just rush 3 guys, play the pass against against them, and make them work the ball down the field?

Why are teams biting on their play action?

I need some help here because the pieces aren't fitting.

ShotgunDawg
09-20-2015, 09:07 AM
I do love how aggressive Freeze's play calling is. They put the pressure on the opposing defense. They are the opposite of Mullen in big games.

Taco
09-20-2015, 09:08 AM
Paidwell is elite. Others run good routes.

They use the middle of the field.

They have some semblance of imagination on offense. (See: pop pass)

Dawg61
09-20-2015, 09:10 AM
Freeze doesn't let the defense sub and he runs sideline to sideline to get the defense winded. Then he gashes them deep with tall big WR that can catch the ball at its high point. He uses the run to get the defense tired by following up the run with a quick snap. No subs that way. It's like old school 40 minutes of hell Arkansas style or as Freeze calls it "basketball on grass". Make the defense tired.

ShotgunDawg
09-20-2015, 09:19 AM
They have some semblance of imagination on offense. (See: pop pass)

Agree

Imagine if Mullen breaks out a pop pass on the final drive against LSU. Freeze is more clever than Mullen.

We'd probably get called for illegal man down field though.

confucius say
09-20-2015, 09:27 AM
Look at their big plays last night. I remember two. They threw one up after a bad snap into triple coverage and it went off a hand and a helmet for 75 yards. The other was on a passing play where there right guard and tackle were down field blocking the safety (safeties and backers read ol for keys). Combine those 14 points with with the 24 they got off turnovers (they started 4 possessions inside bama's 30) and there you have it. It's actually amazing that game was close.

But to answer your question, Kelly is very good, treadwell is a first round pick, and they are running the ball well enough to make play action viable.

drunkernhelldawg
09-20-2015, 09:51 AM
They've got big play guys on their roster, and they're making it pay off. They've done a great job of combining the team commitment of college football with the monster intrusion of pro football. I was out so I only saw the fourth quarter. Treadwell's td catch and Nkimencehe's (or however you spell it ) sack are step up performances that may not even be able to be defended. Those guys just took over on those plays, so their team won the game.

Political Hack
09-20-2015, 09:55 AM
Spacing with elite speed and a stud WR that you can't cover 1-on-1. Oh yeah, MGK has a rocket on his shoulder.

What impresses me is how Freeze continually dials this stuff up with no offensive line. He must be 5,000 plays deep on a 3-step drop (timing, I realize they don't run it from under center (before one of you yahoos make a cart obvious post)) because they damn sure can't run a five step.

Pinto
09-20-2015, 10:54 AM
Why did Bama's D stop getting their hands up at the line. Kelly has a solid arm but Kevin Fant height.

thf24
09-20-2015, 12:04 PM
Why did Bama's D stop getting their hands up at the line. Kelly has a solid arm but Kevin Fant height.

Seriously. I think that might be an issue for them going forward. I remember someone earlier this year posting various team bios from the past three seasons; his listed height went from 6'3" to 6'2" to 6'1" as the years progressed. He's listed at 6'2" on the OM site right now, but my guess is that he's about 5'11". That and, while he's undeniably very talented, he may start throwing some bad picks if his luck doesn't hold. There were 3-4 plays last night, most notably the helmet bounce TD, that were very ill-advised throws that turned out either neutral or good for them.

RougeDawg
09-20-2015, 12:12 PM
Ok, if anyone remember's how we got beaten in the EB last year. The bears had over 200 yards of offense on 5 total plays, 4 of which they scored TD's on. Think about that. The had almost all of their total offensive production the entire game on 5 plays, 3 of which were complete flukes (one being the Walton run where we had him surrounded for a 10-15 yard loss). They seem to be the benefit of the ridiculously fluke plays and f***ups of the opposing teams. That's how they are beating the teams that are better than they are. Against LSU last year, they got 0 fluke plays and LSU played mistake free for the most part. The key to beating OM is not giving up "once in a lifetime fluke plays" and not turning the ball over, giving them a short field.

My question is, how can they canticle to be the beneficiary of such luck and fluke "I've never seen anything like that" plays?

GTHOM
09-20-2015, 01:03 PM
Ole Miss even after catching every possible break in the world, still loses if they dont have the fluke play of the century on that td pass. That was hot garbage

Coach007
09-20-2015, 01:52 PM
They pull a defense apart and that sets up the big plays. From left to right, they pull them opposite directions.