PDA

View Full Version : My son kind of nailed it....

Liverpooldawg
09-19-2015, 07:18 PM
You can't really take much from a game like that on the good side. If you are an SEC team and SEC players you are supposed to look good. You can, however draw a some conclusions if something looks bad. My two comments looking at that game from that perspective:

1) Shumpert just doesn't have it. He doesn't hit the hole, and the holes WERE there today, hard enough or quick enough. You would think from his size and build he would be hard to bring down. That just doesn't appear to be the case. I hate to say this stuff because he comes from very good people but that's just the way I see it.
2). We are a poor tackling team. I heard some where that we don't do a lot of tackling in practice this year. That needs to change. I know it risks injury but it's something you just have to do well if you want to compete in the SEC.

To me most everything else looked as it should against a totally overmatched opponent.

TrapGame
09-19-2015, 07:24 PM
If Shump is the starter he should be SEC caliber which means eating yards on a defense like NWS. He wasn't.

AlSwearengen
09-19-2015, 08:13 PM
Yeah, I hate it for him, but he just doesn't have the quickness. Strangely, one play that I could really tell it was when he broke it for about a fifteen yd touchdown run. He just doesn't have the burst.

sleepy dawg
09-19-2015, 10:21 PM
I wish we'd split snaps between Shump, Lee, Williams, and Holloway every game until a clear leader emerges.

Lee was clearly the best today; Shump and Williams were about the same. Holloway only got 1 carry, but he's outplayed Shump in the earlier games, and has actually been a pretty good back so far... somehow.
Today was the only game that you really have had a chance to look at for the young guys for more than a play or 2, and we played such an inferior opponent, that all you really know is they don't seem to suck, and might be pretty good.

gravedigger
09-19-2015, 10:50 PM
You can't really take much from a game like that on the good side. If you are an SEC team and SEC players you are supposed to look good. You can, however draw a some conclusions if something looks bad. My two comments looking at that game from that perspective:

1) Shumpert just doesn't have it. He doesn't hit the hole, and the holes WERE there today, hard enough or quick enough. You would think from his size and build he would be hard to bring down. That just doesn't appear to be the case. I hate to say this stuff because he comes from very good people but that's just the way I see it.
2). We are a poor tackling team. I heard some where that we don't do a lot of tackling in practice this year. That needs to change. I know it risks injury but it's something you just have to do well if you want to compete in the SEC.

To me most everything else looked as it should against a totally overmatched opponent.

No. Tackling is a focus. But its hawk tackling. Seattle seahawk style. Ill just say im not a fan.

spudd21
09-19-2015, 11:18 PM
No. Tackling is a focus. But its hawk tackling. Seattle seahawk style. Ill just say im not a fan.

Which seems to essentially be arm tackling. Players learn I peewee to not tackle like that

chainedup_Dawg
09-20-2015, 12:57 AM
I don't know if it was because i was sitting in a different spot closer to the field but on a couple of plays some huge holes were opened up and Shump didn't hit them. I noticed when he got close to the line of scrimmage he put his head down almost as if he were bracing for impact rather than keeping his head up looking for the hole. I didnt notice this with Lee or Williams

solodawg
09-20-2015, 07:13 AM
I don't know if it was because i was sitting in a different spot closer to the field but on a couple of plays some huge holes were opened up and Shump didn't hit them. I noticed when he got close to the line of scrimmage he put his head down almost as if he were bracing for impact rather than keeping his head up looking for the hole. I didnt notice this with Lee or Williams that's exactly what he did. Every time his lane started getting small he looked as if he just ducked his head, closed his eyes, and ran into the backs of his own players with his eyes closed. It honestly looks like he was bracing for a collision and is scared to get hit.

defiantdog
09-20-2015, 08:37 AM
I don't know if it was because i was sitting in a different spot closer to the field but on a couple of plays some huge holes were opened up and Shump didn't hit them. I noticed when he got close to the line of scrimmage he put his head down almost as if he were bracing for impact rather than keeping his head up looking for the hole. I didnt notice this with Lee or Williams
He doesn't want to fumble