PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun's Quick Thoughts on NW State Game

ShotgunDawg
09-19-2015, 06:21 PM
HOLY S&$* Mullen. You have offensive talent oozing out of your rear on this team, yet neglect to use it in big games.

It is said that good coaches have good schemes, but great coaches adjust their scheme to the strengths of their best players. Take an ego check & get your best players on the field because I can tell you with 110% accuracy that many of our BEST players were not part of the game plan against LSU.

The Good

- Dak looked outstanding today. His TD to INT rate thus far is incredible. He's in for an unbelievable year if Mullen will allow our running game to emerge

- Donald Gray & Gabe Myles. I put these two together because it's the same question: WHERE THE 17 WERE THEY AGAINST LSU? Two of your best players

- Backup/Best running backs. I'm not an expert on pass blocking, but I believe your pass blocking schemes may be slightly too complicated if you have to play your 4th & 5th best running backs in order to pass block correctly. Am I supposed to believe that neither Lee, Williams, or Dear can pass block? Why is it that damn hard?

On pure running ability & vision, I rate our running backs in this wway:

1. Malik Dear - This guy is a DUDE. Josh Robinson with better top end speed.
2. Dontavian Lee - Runs with power, patience, & has good vision.
3. Aeris Williams - Not quite as dynamic as the two above, but a nice all around back
4. Shumpert - Apparently an irreplaceable pass blocker who can hit a wide open hole.
5. Holloway - Situational back that I'm OK having a role & getting 4-6 carries a game regardless of who the starter is.

- WR caught the ball & ran good routes today.

- Backup QBs. We are going to have one hell of a QB battle next year & the loser may end up starting for another SEC team in a few years. They are that talented. Dak is a great leader & is smart, but I believe both of these guys have greater physical tools than Dak. Doesn't mean they'll be as good or better. I was caught off guard by the touch that Staley can create for such a big guy. I was absolutely caught off guard. That was NFL quality touch on his deep ball. AJ Brown would be an idiot to not come to MSU with Staley throwing that deep ball. Huge chance for big plays. I had no clue he could do that. I'm serious

- Gerri Green - enforcer. Needs to play more. Likely should start

THE BAD

- Tackling. We always tackle poorly in non-conference games but we always win them. I'm not hugely concerned after seeing LSU play today because I know what we are capable, but we need to clean this up. Unacceptable

- Richie Brown - Richie is a great backup, leader, smart, & work ethic guy, but he's a backup LB in the SEC. Gerri Green needs to be the guy.

- Special Teams - Have to clean this up. Ross just needs to focus better.

Conclusion:

Dan Mullen should be absolutely ashamed of the offensive game plan he put together against LSU. I'll talk more on this on Monday, but he has to let his play makers play.

Auburn is bad & they are down. There is absolutely no reason that we shouldn't go in there & go for the knockout punch in the 1st quarter with extreme aggressiveness. If we do that, their crowd will begin booing & we can blow them out.

WE HAVE GOOD TEAM THIS YEAR THAT CAN MAKE A SERIOUS RUN. WE HAVE TO CLEAN SOMETHINGS UP, BUT WE'VE GOT THE INGREDIENTS TO WIN EVERY BALL GAME PLAY THE REST OF THE SEASON.

WILL MULLEN ALLOW THOSE INGREDIENTS TO PLAY OR IS HE JUST GOING TO SERVE VANILLA PUDDING?

THAT'S THE QUESTION

t45fixer
09-19-2015, 06:28 PM
I believe Gabe has been serving a suspension

BulldogBear
09-19-2015, 06:31 PM
If we go in and continue what LSU started they will quit. That's what "down" blueblooders teams do. It's not lack of talent that gives them down years (those don't truly exist. Instead they are collapses), it's lack of heart. If we jump on them and get up 14 they will quit.....and I mean for the whole season. They (blueblooders) are conditioned to play as contenders and are often unable to adjust. They may collapse to 6-6 but do not possess will and heart to fight their way to 6-6. What we did in 2013 is something UGA, Florida, LSU, Auburn, Alabama...USC, Ohio State, etc. Would probably not be capable of unless they had been "down" long enough to be hungry again. Till then, they tend to be wreckers or checkers.

thunderclap
09-19-2015, 06:31 PM
I agree. It's more evident to me we just blew it last week. But we just got to get it together to win the next two.

ShotgunDawg
09-19-2015, 06:33 PM
I agree. It's more evident to me we just blew it last week. But we just got to get it together to win the next two.

We did blow it last week, but we have the ability to climb back into this. This season is far from over. Have to take care of business next weekend

ShotgunDawg
09-19-2015, 06:35 PM
I would rather see us lose next week with Malik Dear & Lee making mistakes than to see us lose with Shumpert not making mistakes & getting 2 yards a carry

Homedawg
09-19-2015, 06:35 PM
I believe Gabe has been serving a suspension

He played in both games. What are you talking about.

Homedawg
09-19-2015, 06:37 PM
I would rather see us lose next week with Malik Dear & Lee making mistakes than to see us lose with Shumpert not making mistakes & getting 2 yards a carry

Lee missed the block that caused the sack and fumble. He runs ok, but there is a reason he's been sitting.

ShotgunDawg
09-19-2015, 06:38 PM
Lee missed the block that caused the sack and fumble. He runs ok, but there is a reason he's been sitting.

So you would rather play your 4th best RB because of this?

Please explain

TrapGame
09-19-2015, 06:40 PM

But Lee hits an open hole like Ron Jeremy. That matters more to me.

Homedawg
09-19-2015, 06:43 PM
So you would rather play your 4th best RB because of this?

Please explain

If he's going to whiff blocks? Hell yea. He ran for 55 today. He's going to be ok. But Herschel walker he's not. I love how after playing the bad news bears all of our backups are stars. They did well but damn let's not go overboard. Typical fan talk. Second teamers are always better in minds of fans. Will some earn more time? Sure. That's all. I'm signing out, can't read much more of this to be honest.......to add, Hell if our backs couldn't look good running against those clowns then who will they look good against? Shump ran for 55 against them too. Is he good all of the sudden??

HoopsDawg
09-19-2015, 06:48 PM
I just wasn't as impressed with Lee as some of you guys. He had a massive hole on one of his runs. Shumpert looked good today. I would give the ball to Shump 5-7 times, Holloway 5-7 times, and Dear 6-8 times. Then get Dak his 8-10 carries and there you have it. We are more dangerous through the air this year.

Homedawg
09-19-2015, 06:55 PM

Except when dak is on his ass bc of a missed block.

Taco
09-19-2015, 06:56 PM
I love how after playing the bad news bears all of our backups are stars. They did well but damn let's not go overboard. Typical fan talk.

They looked far better than Ashton against the same bad news bears

ShotgunDawg
09-19-2015, 07:00 PM
Just came across twitter that Carl Lawson will be out several weeks for Auburn

TrapGame
09-19-2015, 07:05 PM
Except when dak is on his ass bc of a missed block.

So Shump is really there to protect Dak? He sure isn't an SEC caliber back.

t45fixer
09-19-2015, 07:07 PM
He didn't see the field against Lsu. 1 catch in the first game. Hence I believe the announcers said he didn't play last week for academic reasons

shoeless joe
09-19-2015, 07:08 PM
I agree that some back ups need more playing time BUT this was NW state. Mental errors could be made without costing us anything.

smootness
09-19-2015, 07:17 PM
Staley threw a few gorgeous deep balls when I saw him in HS. That's legit. Whoever wins the job next year will be among the top half of SEC QBs right away. Crazy.

I do agree with some that we need to hold back on some of the 'X needs to start' talk. Dear, Myles, Green, etc. have talent and promise, but the way guys played today doesn't necessarily mean much. This was a chance to get some playing time for guys and see how they react in a game, but we're not going to start making personnel changes because of NWSU.

That said, I would like to see more of Gray and Lee next week. A lot more.

ShotgunDawg
09-19-2015, 07:22 PM
Staley threw a few gorgeous deep balls when I saw him in HS. That's legit. Whoever wins the job next year will be among the top half of SEC QBs right away. Crazy.

I do agree with some that we need to hold back on some of the 'X needs to start' talk. Dear, Myles, Green, etc. have talent and promise, but the way guys played today doesn't necessarily mean much. This was a chance to get some playing time for guys and see how they react in a game, but we're not going to start making personnel changes because of NWSU.

That said, I would like to see more of Gray and Lee next week. A lot more.

Auburn thought the same about Jeremy Johnson. We'll see which of these guys can go through progressions against real teams. Excellent talents though

I get that this was just NW State, but talent is talent & we have three RBs that are more talented than Shump. I like Shump but he is being used incorrectly.

Dear, Lee, & Williams are more natural runners than he is & I don't need to see them against better teams to realize that.

That being said, perhaps Shump would fit great into a 3rd down back role where we know that we are throwing & play action isn't as effective. That would allow him to pass block & catch passes, the two things he does best.

godlluB
09-19-2015, 07:22 PM
He didn't see the field against Lsu. 1 catch in the first game. Hence I believe the announcers said he didn't play last week for academic reasons

I'll guarantee you Gabe isn't missing for academic reasons. He is a top student. His father is on the Starkville School Board. He has played in every game this season.

IMissJack
09-19-2015, 07:23 PM
I thought A. Williams looked as good as anyone.

Charlie_Sheen420
09-19-2015, 07:27 PM
Our official grinder is Evan Stone, not Ron Jeremy haha

TrapGame
09-19-2015, 07:29 PM
Our official grinder is Evan Stone, not Ron Jeremy haha

Williams can be Evan Stone! He hits the open holes hard too!

shoeless joe
09-19-2015, 07:34 PM
I thought A. Williams looked as good as anyone.

I agree. I'm bias but I think Aeris is better all around than lee. I'd like to see BOTH get several more touches next weekend.

archdog
09-19-2015, 07:51 PM
Gabe Myles is my boy. Dude moves like Harvin. I want him to touch the ball 15 times a game.

IMissJack
09-19-2015, 07:52 PM
I agree. I'm bias but I think Aeris is better all around than lee. I'd like to see BOTH get several more touches next weekend.

To me there would be nothing wrong with rotating several of them. The main thing is the d has to be kept honest by running Dak occasionally, so that they have to account for him.

TrapGame
09-19-2015, 07:54 PM
Gabe Myles is my boy. Dude moves like Harvin. I want him to touch the ball 15 times a game.

This^^^^^^^^

Gabe is a baller!

Homedawg
09-19-2015, 08:12 PM

Wrong. He did play. Where do you people get this shit. Ugh.

HSVDawg
09-19-2015, 08:22 PM

If he and Williams both still can't pass block after 2 fall camps, one spring camp, 16 game weeks of practice, and 3 actual games, then thats on the coaches. We need to fire Knox right now if that is the case.

ShotgunDawg
09-19-2015, 08:24 PM
Wrong. He did play. Where do you people get this shit. Ugh.

Are you a player parent or something?

Truth hurts, but this is big boy football