PDA

View Full Version : Chris Jones

Bo Darville
07-20-2013, 08:48 AM
For what it's worth, Chris Jones saw Steve Robertson of scout.com at the BigDawg camp. He tells Steve he has grown an inch to 6'-7". He tells Steve he weighs 280. Steve says Jones looks like all muscle.

Before someone asks, Jones was not competing at the BigDawg camp. The camp is for high schoolers, not signees. Jones was just watching. Somebody would have asked that question, I just know they would.

Esmerelda Villalobos
07-20-2013, 08:50 AM
Impressive that he has lost 29 pounds in 19 days.

Bo Darville
07-20-2013, 08:53 AM

It has been well documented on this board and others that Jones reported to MSU this summer weighing somewhere between 185 and 375. He will play defensive end, defensive tackle, or offensive tackle.

Esmerelda Villalobos
07-20-2013, 08:54 AM

Homedawg
07-20-2013, 09:14 AM
For what it's worth, Chris Jones saw Steve Robertson of scout.com at the BigDawg camp. He tells Steve he has grown an inch to 6'-7". He tells Steve he weighs 280. Steve says Jones looks like all muscle.

Before someone asks, Jones was not competing at the BigDawg camp. The camp is for high schoolers, not signees. Jones was just watching. Somebody would have asked that question, I just know they would.

Steve is wrong. I know I know Steve just reports what people tell him and he's an idiot. Jones is over 305 at last report.

msstate7
07-20-2013, 09:15 AM

Meth? Lol

Rick Danko
07-20-2013, 09:16 AM
Is he still a double secret commit to ole miss and just waiting for signing day to announce his flip****

mic
07-20-2013, 09:29 AM
I saw Mr. Jones there as well. I would agree .. He isn't anywhere close to 3bills..
The WR were working with TR and Dak on the practice fields before going over to the stadium. Dak looked like an OLB.. Dude is very very impressive for a QB..

Big4Dawg
07-20-2013, 10:03 AM
Paul talked to him and he said he said he was 299 with a smile on his face. Said he didn't look that big.

BeastMan
07-20-2013, 10:18 AM
He told John Farley 290 yesterday night as well. FWIW I know another guy who heard him say 290 to John. I guess we just have to go with he is somewhere between 310 and 270 depending on how many footballs he has eaten that day. The one consistent thing in every single report is that he isn't fat. A very lean, V taper shape that is without a doubt a DE

Ronny
07-20-2013, 10:19 AM
...all the intricacies of Chris Jones like you guys do, but I do know this.

The guy is going to play a lot of downs for our football team this year.

He is a special talent who is going to contribute almost immediately.

Coach34
07-20-2013, 11:12 AM
He's raw and it's going to take some time for him to get better on fundamentals- but with his talent he will get there. I dont think he makes an impact before November- but by then should be starting to put some fundamentals together with all that talent.

Political Hack
07-20-2013, 11:41 AM
He's going to eat Daniel Koenig, Alcorn's RT, Patrick Miller, Terrence Jones, Christian Piazza, Jordan Swindell, Emmanuel McCray & Grady Ollison's lunches. None of those guys can block him consistently. I actually think he has some big plays early in the season and hits the freshman wall late against top talent like SC, A&M, and Alabama.

Homedawg
07-20-2013, 12:30 PM
I saw Mr. Jones there as well. I would agree .. He isn't anywhere close to 3bills..
The WR were working with TR and Dak on the practice fields before going over to the stadium. Dak looked like an OLB.. Dude is very very impressive for a QB..

I'm not saying he looks bad. What I am saying is he weighed 310 on July the 12th. That's coming from 2 impeccable sources. Believe what u want.

Coach 57
07-20-2013, 05:44 PM
@Ronny, dude if you think Jones plats "alot" this year you sir are WRONG. Look at the depth chart in front of him and most of the guys actually HAVE PLAYED IN A COLLEGE GAME! Preston Smith? Autry? Ryan Brown? All those guts actually PLAYED & played WELL at times. Then you have guys who are blowing up beneath them like AJ Jefferson , Torrey? Are u seriously thinking he will play over them? This is their 2nd preseason under the Balis program. Jones JUST got to campus.

Homedawg
07-20-2013, 05:57 PM
@Ronny, dude if you think Jones plats "alot" this year you sir are WRONG. Look at the depth chart in front of him and most of the guys actually HAVE PLAYED IN A COLLEGE GAME! Preston Smith? Autry? Ryan Brown? All those guts actually PLAYED & played WELL at times. Then you have guys who are blowing up beneath them like AJ Jefferson , Torrey? Are u seriously thinking he will play over them? This is their 2nd preseason under the Balis program. Jones JUST got to campus.
I think by midway in the year he will be second team. Aj and torey are ok, but if they keep Chris jones off the field late in the year then we will be really good on defense. You are highly over rating those two in their red shirt fr years.

Coach34
07-20-2013, 05:57 PM

This is because people are really about to be shocked at the talent level we actually do have currently. Some fans see guys that havent put it together by their 2nd year and think they arent very good. Kids-young men develop at different rates.

Our DE's are going to have a breakout year- and I think Turner gets the DT's playing like they should.

I think the OL plays well also.

There is just no way in hell this team finishes 5-7 and last in the SEC West

Coach34
07-20-2013, 05:58 PM
I think by midway in the year he will be second team. Aj and torey are ok, but if they keep Chris jones off the field late in the year then we will be really good on defense. You are highly over rating those two in their red shirt fr years.

well, AJ was a 4-star recruit. I just think people are going to be pleasantly surprised at what we put on the field this year

Ronny
07-20-2013, 08:14 PM

...Chris Jones is going to be a major contributor on defense.

Everybody you have named that will be playing in front of Jones didn't do crap after the Alabama game last year (except against a UPig team that had already quit).

In fact, most of the time they got their asses blocked with regularity.

Jones will get blocked too, of course, & make rookie mistakes. But he's a football player unlike any of your aforementioned.

FlabLoser
07-20-2013, 08:30 PM
Last year those DEs you are complaining about were in a conservative read and react scheme. You are going to see them play a lot different this year.

Coach 57
07-20-2013, 09:12 PM
Listen to Flab & C34, Ronny. Have you have ever even seen AJ or Torrey play? I watched Jones play last year in a WEAK 4A division. And have seen AJ & Torrey Vs SEC OTs in this spring's camp. Jones has TONS to work on. His hands aren't that good (I know this position) and he has no inside move to force the OT to open his hips. These are critical in SEC play. Torrey & AJ HAVE these moves Preston HAS this, Autry DEFINITELY has it, Ryan Brown could very well start if he just slightly picks it up. Jones is VERY RAW, but definitely will be a star for us but not this year. I DO see him getting on the field and making contributions. But the speed of D1 football Vs a WEAK 4A is HUGE but an absolute CHASM to leap across in the SEC. You guys will see.

Coach34
07-20-2013, 09:45 PM
Jones has the highest ceiling- but he still has work to do

Autry and Smith are going to be draft picks also.

msstate7
07-20-2013, 09:57 PM
Any chance on passing downs we see 3 de's in game to rush passer?

CadaverDawg
07-20-2013, 09:57 PM
Yea, I almost wish we could Redshirt Jones since we have SO much depth at DLine and especially DE...but I know that it was probably part of his recruitment that he was not going to redshirt. Hell, if Jones was smart he would request a redshirt since he got in so late, but I know that ain't gonna happen. There is no way Jones gets meaningful snaps this year if Autry, Brown, and even Jefferson and R Brown play up to their potential. We are completely loaded at every position on the DLine, and hopefully Turner and Collins will get these guys to play to the level they are capable.

CadaverDawg
07-20-2013, 09:59 PM
Any chance on passing downs we see 3 de's in game to rush passer?

McKinney said in a recent interview that we would see him at DE some this year....that would be crazy to see Autry, Jones/Brown, AND McKinney coming off the ends on the same play.