PDA

View Full Version : Are we finally seeing the effects of the SEC 25 Signee Rule?

RougeDawg
09-19-2015, 12:46 PM
Teams across the nation began closing the talent gap with the SEC a couple years ago. That gap appears to be even smaller this year and the games over the past couple weekends are evidence of this. I will agree that the 25 man limit has aided our talent levels, but it has also allowed the other lesser conferences to do the same. The perception is that the SEC is still the best league, but current erception is also that it's not light years ahead of everyone else as it was just a few years ago. A few years ago the "perception" of the SEC was so high, that they allowed two SEC West teams play in the BCS national championship. Last year there was real talk of allowing 2 of the 4 teams in the playoffs. At the rate things are going, the SEC will be a one team playoff only league, and I feel like the 25 signee cap has the most to do with it.

Auburn, with a preseason Heisman QB and SECWest Champ Pick, barely won last week vs Jacksonville State. Arkansas lost to Toledo. Mizzou is losing to UConn. All of these teams were picked to make noise in the SEC this season but cannot even blowout less than average teams.

Jack Lambert
09-19-2015, 12:58 PM
no. you can only have 85 scholarships regardless. The 85 rule is why. the sec is over rated this year.

drunkernhelldawg
I agree. Personally, I'm glad. I love football and appreciate competitive games. I suppose should want the SECW to continue to dominant, but I really don't care. I want the underdog to win sometimes. I want the dominant programs back down to earth..

Taco
Football becoming less defensive has helped as well.

ScottH
09-19-2015, 01:05 PM
Fresno disagress

sandwolf
09-19-2015, 01:18 PM
No. The main schools that the 25 Signee Rule has helped, are the schools like us. We wind up getting guys like Benni Brown that otherwise would have probably signed with Bama. Jacksonville State didn't sign one person that Auburn would have signed without the rule.

RougeDawg
09-19-2015, 01:31 PM
No. The main schools that the 25 Signee Rule has helped, are the schools like us. We wind up getting guys like Benni Brown that otherwise would have probably signed with Bama. Jacksonville State didn't sign one person that Auburn would have signed without the rule.

Apparently the overall point was severely missed. I stated that it has helped teams such as ourselves. The main point is that it has, as a whole, weakened the SEC and the perception of the SEC, Thus greatly reducing any chances of a 2nd SEC team getting the benefit of the doubt for the 4th playoff spot. A few years ago, the conference perception got 2 teams into BCS Champ game. We would have easily goten 2 into a 4 team playoff that year, with some debatable arguents of having 3 of the best teams in the nation because the conference "was perceived light years better than the next best conference". Now 3 years after the ruling and the SEC is "coming back to the pack".

This is what I'm getting at. We are no longer considered the frontrunner by a mile. The gap is closing and the 25 man rule is the only thing that's necessarily changed.

Coach007
09-19-2015, 02:23 PM
I think you are right. I also think that schools like LA tech, Toledo jax st have benefited from it. These schools are getting the players that smaller sec type schools use to go after.

Coach007
09-19-2015, 02:24 PM

Wrong. So we now get those excess players, but we still have the same cap. That means our excess are passed on to other teams.