PDA

View Full Version : 24/7 article on Nick James - sounds like he has turned the page in his head

starkvegasdawg
09-18-2015, 09:02 AM
The talented defensive tackle showed flashes of brilliance for a player his size at 6-5, 335 pounds. At times, though, he was defiant and some would say out of control. He played his first season in Starkville overweight and out of shape and was falling behind in the classroom.

That?s when Dan Mullen gave the potential star defender an ultimatum. James was told he?d redshirt during his second season to catch up in the class room and to mature as a player both on and off the field. He was close to telling Mullen he?d see him later.

James was at a crossroads in his life and either had to make a change or accept the consequences.

?(The redshirt year) got my mind right academically. Physically, I think I lost 20 pounds last semester. I was in the best shape of my life. I just got to focus on football. Just like everybody else, I was a true freshman (playing) and the next year I redshirted. It was one week and then I saw coach Mullen?s vision. We had Chris Jones coming here and still had Kaleb (Eulls) so there was no way I was going to start. I just sat down and watched football.?

During that year, James prepared himself mentally and physically for the rigors ahead. He finally got back on the field as a sophomore last season and got a chance to learn some more under senior leaders. Now, he?s ready to step into their shoes as a junior.

?Being the starter I get double the amount of plays and thanks to (strength coach Rick) Court, I?m in pretty good shape,? James said. ?It?s been pretty solid but it could improve,? James said. ?I just need better technique and follow my keys.?

Mullen commented last week on James? opening ball game against Southern Miss saying it was the best game the junior has played as a Bulldog. Though he only recorded one tackle, he picked up double teams and gave opportunities for Chris Jones, Ryan Brown and A.J. Jefferson. He grabbed two tackles against LSU, but his coaches thought his emotions got the better of him.

?I got my emotions in front of me,? James said of the LSU game. ?I played with too much anger and played a little too low in my keys. I think I had a good practice week and worked on my hand placement, staying in my gap and not focusing on just making all the plays. Really that just builds trust in my linebacker.?

When those emotions come, one person is usually able to get him back on the right track.

?Really, it?s just coach Turner,? James said. ?He?s a big help and always makes me stay on the road. I look at him and realize, ?alright, I need to crank it down some?.?

He has another opportunity to improve this week as the Bulldogs are back home to take on Northwestern State. He is looking forward to another chance to prove himself on the field and in between the lines.

?I just want to dominate, get in the backfield and make some TFLs,? James said. ?For the defensive line as a whole, I want us to shut down the offense.?