PDA

View Full Version : The investigation for 3 years when Sherrill was here killed our recruiting, but...

IMissJack
09-17-2015, 09:27 PM
if the Bears have been investigated for 3 years, why hasn't it hurt them? I have no knowledge on this subject, just wondering.

ShotgunDawg
09-17-2015, 09:29 PM
Probably because they haven't slowed down their cheating during said period, & no media entity focused on the fact that they were being investigated

SDDawg
09-17-2015, 09:32 PM
That and they are scum of the Earth. And the debbil. And hate the baby Jesus. :D

IMissJack
09-17-2015, 09:35 PM
Probably because they haven't slowed down their cheating during said period, & no media entity focused on the fact that they were being investigated

I do think the media in the state not saying much has helped.

BulldogBacker
09-17-2015, 09:37 PM
The attack on Sherrill was a fraudulent public witch hunt run by rumor and innuendo, then planted by Neil McReady to Mississippi papers, when he was the Mobile Press Register sports reporter. Their was a secret chat board that planned rumors, and fed by ZenaReb to the NCAA Investigator. The NCAA came up with 5 allegations, including Kevin Fants' use of a booster's credit card for less than 24 hours to buy tires for his truck, and 4 alleged violations for players who either signed with LSU (Peterman's Dad and Peterman) for 2 admissions of $10 each to a Gulf Coast Alumni Meeting; a USM signee who claimed Glenn Davis paid for school to get eligible, and three Ole Miss players who claimed they got $10 extra on their trip.

That was all that could be proven, and Jackie disrupted the hearing by dumping pictures and receipts for the NCAA Investigator and Xena Reb at a motel together.

messageboardsuperhero
09-17-2015, 09:41 PM

Bingo.

It's kind of hard for opposing coaches to use press clippings about an ongoing investigation when there are no press clippings. UM does about as good of a job as anyone at controlling the message by toning out the bad news and hyping up the good news... It also helps them that our weak ass state newspaper ships anyone who doesn't follow UM's company line off to Chicago- meanwhile we get front page headlines over a walk-on linebacker driving with a suspended license.

Mjoelner34
09-17-2015, 09:42 PM
The attack on Sherrill was a fraudulent public witch hunt run by rumor and innuendo, then planted by Neil McReady to Mississippi papers, when he was the Mobile Press Register sports reporter. Their was a secret chat board that planned rumors, and fed by ZenaReb to the NCAA Investigator. The NCAA came up with 5 allegations, including Kevin Fants' use of a booster's credit card for less than 24 hours to buy tires for his truck, and 4 alleged violations for players who either signed with LSU (Peterman's Dad and Peterman) for 2 admissions of $10 each to a Gulf Coast Alumni Meeting; a USM signee who claimed Glenn Davis paid for school to get eligible, and three Ole Miss players who claimed they got $10 extra on their trip.

That was all that could be proven, and Jackie disrupted the hearing by dumping pictures and receipts for the NCAA Investigator and Xena Reb at a motel together.

Remember that this was the same investigator sued in federal court by Bama boosters to have his notes released. At the top of a yellow legal pad he had scribbled "agree not to investigate Tennessee in exchange for information from Phil Fulmer".

Coach34
09-17-2015, 09:48 PM
Their people have their shit together much better than ours have ever had. Thats why- but you can bet- every recruiter in the SEC is using this against them now

gravedigger
09-17-2015, 09:52 PM
Our fault. We didnt have an active president or attorney client privilege

mic
09-17-2015, 09:53 PM
Their people have their shit together much better than ours have ever had. Thats why- but you can bet- every recruiter in the SEC is using this against them now

They better be.... WE better be..

Liverpooldawg
09-17-2015, 09:57 PM
if the Bears have been investigated for 3 years, why hasn't it hurt them? I have no knowledge on this subject, just wondering.

Because it hasn't been brought up in the media continuously like it was with us.

Todd4State
09-18-2015, 12:22 AM
Let's not give them too much credit. When we were being investigated we landed some big name guys like Jerious Norwood, Nick Turner, Darren Williams, and Quentin Culberson. Jackie went way too JUCO heavy and it eventually hurt our numbers - especially when they stopped panning out. And then Croom sucked at recruiting for the most part.

We were going 3-8 and it was pretty obvious to most people that Jackie was at the end while Ole Miss had Eli at that time and they were winning 7-10 games. Not to mention the NCAA had a huge hard on to get Jackie ever since we hired him.

Ole Miss recruited the way they did out of sheer arrogance as much as anything- and it may come back to bite them in the ass.

So, different time, different era and different situation.

DownwardDawg
09-18-2015, 05:37 AM
You are all forgetting also that the Internet was brand new. It was used to spread lies and rumors like wildfire. Back then, if you read it on the Internet, if was 100% true. *****

Bubb Rubb
09-18-2015, 08:16 AM
Let's not give them too much credit. When we were being investigated we landed some big name guys like Jerious Norwood, Nick Turner, Darren Williams, and Quentin Culberson. Jackie went way too JUCO heavy and it eventually hurt our numbers - especially when they stopped panning out. And then Croom sucked at recruiting for the most part.

We were going 3-8 and it was pretty obvious to most people that Jackie was at the end while Ole Miss had Eli at that time and they were winning 7-10 games. Not to mention the NCAA had a huge hard on to get Jackie ever since we hired him.

Sure, we landed a couple of recruits. We definitely struggled though. Our lack of success over that time were directly related to three things in my mind:

1. The ongoing NCAA investigation
2. A quick-fix recruiting strategy
3. Jackie losing his fire

If you remember, Jackie was really never the same after the Keffer thing and his last couple of years here included some personal tragedies that he had to deal with. In the end, I think it was all too overwhelming for him.

HaggardDawg
09-18-2015, 08:35 AM
While we're on the subject, I have it on good authority that MGK is living rent free at a booster's condo in Oxford.

Political Hack
09-18-2015, 09:42 AM
I do think the media in the state not saying much has helped.

If this doesn't convince those with doubts that the media in the state is heavily slanted towards OM, nothing ever will. They've known for months if not years this was going on and did nothing to dig in. even the commercial appeal got flipped the middle finger when they put forward a FOIA request and backed off and didn't pursue it in court because upper management chose to drop it. They control Jackson and Memphis and probably the Sun Herald and Tupelo too, but I know less about those publications.

Political Hack
09-18-2015, 09:47 AM
While we're on the subject, I have it on good authority that MGK is living rent free at a booster's condo in Oxford.

Nice first post.

Jarius
09-18-2015, 09:55 AM

His uncle is a millionaire. He very well
May be but that's one that will never get proven.

MSUDawg99
09-18-2015, 09:56 AM
UNM has a Journalism Dept. MSU doesn't. So of course it makes sense that the media in the state is controlled by Bearsharts. They're all grads of that institution.

Liverpooldawg
09-18-2015, 11:36 AM
If this doesn't convince those with doubts that the media in the state is heavily slanted towards OM, nothing ever will. They've known for months if not years this was going on and did nothing to dig in. even the commercial appeal got flipped the middle finger when they put forward a FOIA request and backed off and didn't pursue it in court because upper management chose to drop it. They control Jackson and Memphis and probably the Sun Herald and Tupelo too, but I know less about those publications.

They control Tupelo. That paper has barely mentioned this stuff. The CL is better.

maroonmania
09-18-2015, 12:23 PM

Well they do have a media school and MUCH better ties to the media than we do. Anyone who says OM doesn't have much more control over what is printed and talked about in the media (at least within the State) than we do is either ignorant or stupid.

maroonmania
09-18-2015, 12:25 PM
UNM has a Journalism Dept. MSU doesn't. So of course it makes sense that the media in the state is controlled by Bearsharts. They're all grads of that institution.

Exactly, just ask Riley Blevins how much control UM has.

War Machine Dawg
09-18-2015, 01:08 PM
Well they do have a media school and MUCH better ties to the media than we do. Anyone who says OM doesn't have much more control over what is printed and talked about in the media (at least within the State) than we do is either ignorant or stupid.

Exactly, just ask Riley Blevins how much control UM has.

Dammit, I wanted to give you rep for these posts, but I gotta spread rep around first. You get it.

BrunswickDawg
09-18-2015, 01:24 PM
Dammit, I wanted to give you rep for these posts, but I gotta spread rep around first. You get it.

I hooked him up.

chef dixon
09-18-2015, 01:35 PM
Just look at Blevins' twitter bio. It states "Recovering sports writer."

If that doesn't blatantly tell you what happened to him than you must be an Ole Miss fan.

BulldogBear
09-18-2015, 03:08 PM
I hooked him up.
Likewise

State82
09-18-2015, 09:23 PM
Just look at Blevins' twitter bio. It states "Recovering sports writer."

If that doesn't blatantly tell you what happened to him than you must be an Ole Miss fan.

One of the local radio guys (looking at you Bo) needs to get Blevins to spill the beans. He's well out of range for UNM now so why not?