PDA

View Full Version : Key Questions for MSU

BeastMan
09-17-2015, 10:27 AM
This week I did a Q&A with ED's own CadaverDawg http://3rdand57.com/key-questions-for-the-bulldogs-northwestern-state-week/

All our answers and discussion are in the link but I wanted to present the 6 key questions we discussed for the board and see what the everyone is thinking.

1. MSU was facing a new defensive staff they had never seen and it took 1.75 quarters to get their feet under them. MSU?s defense was facing an offense where they knew exactly what was coming and manhandled early. Which unit gets more slack for the sluggish early start and why?

2. MSU?s leading rusher is Brandon Holloway with 88 yards and 7.33 ypc while starter Ashton Shumpert only has 68 yards and 3.78 ypc. Most agree Holloway is a specialty RB. What should MSU do with the every down RB position?

3. In 2014 MSU had the 23rd ranked rushing offense in the nation. Through 2 games in 2015 it is 102nd. Most agree that MSU winning ?big? is 8 wins or more. What is MSU?s winning ceiling without a viable rushing attack?

1. After a sluggish offensive start to the 2015 MSU campaign, many feel that this Northwestern State game is coming at a perfect time for the Bulldogs. What, in your opinion, needs to be addressed the most with the offense during this weekend?s game, and how will Mullen address it?

2. I see where many of MSU?s fans feel like it takes too long to get our young players on the field and contributing. There is a disconnect between knowing we are a developmental program, while also knowing that the most talented players can have an earlier impact. What do you say to those fans that feel like Mullen has a tendency to lean towards upperclassmen, and that think we should be seeing some of our most talented freshmen NOW, as opposed to mop up duty or later in the year?

3. Defensively we have seen a good bit of zone in the secondary through 2 games. There is no debate that MSU has two of the best corners in the SEC in Will Redmond and Taveze Calhoun. In fact, MSU has had several lock down corners in recent memory yet played a great deal of zone and soft coverage. Why do you think MSU defensive coordinators tend to lean more toward zone or soft coverage, despite having such talent at CB, and do you think Mullen has an influence on the type of coverage?s called?

CadaverDawg
09-17-2015, 04:06 PM
Greatly appreciate BeastMan for letting me be a part of this. Interested in hearing what EliteDawgs think of our answers, and what they agree/disagree with.

Thanks again BeastMan

MSUDawg99
09-17-2015, 04:34 PM
Great Q&A session guys!

LC Dawg
09-17-2015, 04:38 PM
I like the format with both of you asking and answering questions. The timing was probably not great on posting this because there seems to be something going on at another in state school.
I like BeastMan's answer to #2. This is what I've been saying. The kids from Mississippi schools, especially the smaller schools, may not be able to contribute immediately. Most of them have played out of position because they were the best athlete on the field and they dominate just because they are so gifted athletically. They may have talent but you just can't throw someone on the field just because they are talented if they don't know what they are doing. I think everyone needs to relax a little on some of the freshman. I think our talented freshman will play a lot this year and will have great careers for us.

BrunswickDawg
09-17-2015, 04:42 PM
Would read regularly if it becomes a feature.

CadaverDawg
09-17-2015, 04:44 PM
I like the format with both of you asking and answering questions. The timing was probably not great on posting this because there seems to be something going on at another in state school.
I like BeastMan's answer to #2. This is what I've been saying. The kids from Mississippi schools, especially the smaller schools, may not be able to contribute immediately. Most of them have played out of position because they were the best athlete on the field and they dominate just because they are so gifted athletically. They may have talent but you just can't throw someone on the field just because they are talented if they don't know what they are doing. I think everyone needs to relax a little on some of the freshman. I think our talented freshman will play a lot this year and will have great careers for us.

Great point. I thought he was spot on as well

MSUDawg99
09-17-2015, 05:09 PM
Would read regularly if it becomes a feature.

Ditto

BeastMan
09-17-2015, 05:37 PM
Ditto

It might be...

Bass Chaser
09-17-2015, 06:07 PM
I like this too. I guess my main question is the RS Freshman not the True Freshman. Your points on True Frosh is spot on. I don't understand the lack of contribution from the RS.

DancingRabbit
09-17-2015, 07:04 PM
I'll add my thumb-up too. Good read.

CadaverDawg
09-17-2015, 07:35 PM
By the way, there was one other question I had in mind, so I'll ask you guys....

4. If we had the ball on the Ole Miss 3 yard line, with 3 seconds left in the game, trailing by 4 points....what play would you call to win the game, and why?

(Assuming everything we know at this point in the season)

BrunswickDawg
09-17-2015, 07:47 PM
By the way, there was one other question I had in mind, so I'll ask you guys....

4. If we had the ball on the Ole Miss 3 yard line, with 3 seconds left in the game, trailing by 4 points....what play would you call to win the game, and why?

Bear on the back shoulder to the sideline, because he is hard to stop and Dak can't throw a fade

Bass Chaser
09-17-2015, 07:54 PM
Naked bootleg to the left with pass to tackle eligible Rufus**

BeastMan
09-17-2015, 08:38 PM
I like this too. I guess my main question is the RS Freshman not the True Freshman. Your points on True Frosh is spot on. I don't understand the lack of contribution from the RS.

That's a good point. I do have a higher level of expectations for the redshirts since they've spent a year in the program). Bear was a rare type of player that caught on quick and his years of basketball taught him how to use his body to shield off defenders. Bear uses body positioning to get open better than anyone I've ever seen at MSU.

BeastMan
09-17-2015, 08:38 PM

Well after the delay of game penalty Id run...

CadaverDawg
09-17-2015, 09:41 PM
Well after the delay of game penalty Id run...

+1

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v361/Extorris/Gifs/Toast_zpsloagyp4q.gif

tcdog70
09-17-2015, 09:49 PM
Run the 2 point conversion play.

FISHDAWG
09-18-2015, 08:03 AM
good read guys ... maybe do this on a game by game basis and post around mid-week

BulldogBear
09-18-2015, 09:10 AM
Slant. Maybe jump pass if we've saved it all year.

ShotgunDawg
09-18-2015, 09:12 AM

I'd call the same play we did for the two point conversion and just hope that Dak makes a better throw. It was wide open.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-18-2015, 09:14 AM

The pass we threw to Justin Johnson for the TD against USM. That was a great play design.

CadaverDawg
09-18-2015, 01:06 PM
Dan would probably call Dak up the middle. And it may work, but everyone would expect it.