PDA

View Full Version : Slightly Concerned

ShotgunDawg
09-17-2015, 09:47 AM
Throughout the week I've listened to Paul Jones on the Bo Bounds Show, Bob Carskadon on the B&B Show, & the coaches & players speak at press conferences, & I've come away believing that there is some major delusion going on about Shumpert & Holloway's role in the running game.

I keep hearing, "Well... there is so much more that goes into it." & then you see an article where Greg Knox is stated as saying that Shumpert is the best back we have & it isn't close. There seems to be a major reluctance to call a spade a spade & admit that neither of these two players are the answer.

I love this coaching staff, but they have dropped the ball on this position unit. They misevaluated Shumpert & have been unable to get Williams &/or Lee ready to play in 15 months. 15 MONTHS.... these aren't guys that just showed up on campus.

For a staff that is known for being great at evaluating talent & great at developing talent, they have dropped the ball on both fronts at the running back position this year & they have too much pride to admit they were wrong.

I am concerned that we are about to beat our head against the wall for 10 more games trying to fit a square peg into a round hole when it comes to Shumpert & Holloway being our feature backs.

The name of the position is "RUNNING BACK" not "blocking back", not "pass protection back", & not "catch ball out of the backfield back". It is a "RUNNING BACK" insinuating that the most important skill needed for that position is "RUNNING".

Get ready to see Shumpert running for 10 more games & us wasting the senior season of the best QB in the history of the program.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-17-2015, 09:54 AM
That article was a month ago. Who saw Josh Robinson leaving early? Also Aeris & Dontavian will get more reps as the year goes on. It's been 2 games not 8 not 10 not 12. After 2 games you've drawn this conclusion?

Bubb Rubb
09-17-2015, 09:55 AM
Throughout the week I've listened to Paul Jones on the Bo Bounds Show, Bob Carskadon on the B&B Show, & the coaches & players speak at press conferences, & I've come away believing that there is some major delusion going on about Shumpert & Holloway's role in the running game.

I keep hearing, "Well... there is so much more that goes into it." & then you see an article where Greg Knox is stated as saying that Shumpert is the best back we have & it isn't close. There seems to be a major reluctance to call a spade a spade & admit that neither of these two players are the answer.

I love this coaching staff, but they have dropped the ball on this position unit. They misevaluated Shumpert & have been unable to get Williams &/or Lee ready to play in 15 months. 15 MONTHS.... these aren't guys that just showed up on campus.

For a staff that is known for being great at evaluating talent & great at developing talent, they have dropped the ball on both fronts at the running back position this year & they have too much pride to admit they were wrong.

I am concerned that we are about to beat our head against the wall for 10 more games trying to fit a square peg into a round hole when it comes to Shumpert & Holloway being our feature backs.

The name of the position is "RUNNING BACK" not "blocking back", not "pass protection back", & not "catch ball out of the backfield back". It is a "RUNNING BACK" insinuating that the most important skill needed for that position is "RUNNING".

Get ready to see Shumpert running for 10 more games & us wasting the senior season of the best QB in the history of the program.

You should not be surprised at any of this. Mullen is known for playing the wrong guy. Bell over Swedenburg, Perkins over Robinson, etc. I don't always understand it, but I try to give him the benefit of the doubt because he is the one at practice seeing them every day.

ShotgunDawg
09-17-2015, 10:01 AM
That article was a month ago. Who saw Josh Robinson leaving early? Also Aeris & Dontavian will get more reps as the year goes on. It's been 2 games not 8 not 10 not 12. After 2 games you've drawn this conclusion?

Yes, but we just lost a game because neither Aeris or Dontavian was ready & that is unacceptable when they've been here for 15 months & other teams have thrown true freshmen running backs out there that have been successful.

Yes, I've drawn this conclusion & I hope I'm wrong. As a coaching staff you simply have to have better evaluation ability than to go into this season believing that Shumpert & Holloway were the answer.

I am so sick of hearing, "it's only been 2 games". We aren't idiots & we know what good running backs look like. You have to hit the ground running in the first game because every game counts in college football & this staff didn't have the team prepared for that.

Shumpert is too slow & lacks the agility to play running back in the SEC & Holloway is too small to be an every down back. Do I need to see 8-10 more games to make that statement?

Ifyouonlyknew
09-17-2015, 10:06 AM
Yes, but we just lost a game because neither Aeris or Dontavian was ready & that is unacceptable when they've been here for 15 months & other teams have thrown true freshmen running backs out there that have been successful.

Yes, I've drawn this conclusion & I hope I'm wrong. As a coaching staff you simply have to have better evaluation ability than to go into this season believing that Shumpert & Holloway were the answer.

I am so sick of hearing, "it's only been 2 games". We aren't idiots & we know what good running backs look like. You have to hit the ground running in the first game because every game counts in college football & this staff didn't have the team prepared for that.

Shumpert is too slow & lacks the agility to play running back in the SEC & Holloway is too small to be an every down back. Do I need to see 8-10 more games to make that statement?

I think you need to see more than 2 games before you make the assumption we will see only Shump this year & waste Dak's Sr year but that's just me.

Johnson85
09-17-2015, 10:07 AM

If Aeris and Dontavian are capable of providing a boost this year and weren't ready to play against LSU, our options are (1) We don't have anybody that can be a good everydown back on the team unless it's a true freshman or (2) our coaches royally 17ed up by not having them ready to contribute against LSU. If they will be good enough to contribute in a major way in game 8, there is no reason for them to not get a lot of carries at USM. We needed a running threat at RB besides Holloway (who I'm very pleased with, but can't carry the primary load).

We better be hitting the JUCOs hard for a RB that can come in ready to contribute next year. If it turns out that Williams and/or Lee actually are better runners than Shump, I will be extremely pissed that our coaches took a loss against LSU at home in Dak's senior season rather than using USM to get them prepared.

Coach34
09-17-2015, 10:09 AM
Who saw Josh Robinson leaving early?

I did. Said it all last year even before the season started.

If Nick James keeps up his play- he's going to leave early too

msstate7
09-17-2015, 10:11 AM
If Aeris and Dontavian are capable of providing a boost this year and weren't ready to play against LSU, our options are (1) We don't have anybody that can be a good everydown back on the team unless it's a true freshman or (2) our coaches royally 17ed up by not having them ready to contribute against LSU. If they will be good enough to contribute in a major way in game 8, there is no reason for them to not get a lot of carries at USM. We needed a running threat at RB besides Holloway (who I'm very pleased with, but can't carry the primary load).

We better be hitting the JUCOs hard for a RB that can come in ready to contribute next year. If it turns out that Williams and/or Lee actually are better runners than Shump, I will be extremely pissed that our coaches took a loss against LSU at home in Dak's senior season rather than using USM to get them prepared.

IMO based only on a hunch, I think Gibson is the man next year. If he's showing promise in practice, I'd play him now. I'd like to see dear get carries. Could he be our version of demps? Similar size anyway

Johnson85
09-17-2015, 10:12 AM
I think you need to see more than 2 games before you make the assumption we will see only Shump this year & waste Dak's Sr year but that's just me.

If we put Lee or Williams in next week and he is good and we go 10-2, I will count that as more or less wasting Dak's Sr. year. You can't throw away a winnable SECW game at home and you sure as hell don't do it if you have a chance to make noise. If Lee and Wiliams aren't any good, they aren't any good and that's we'll just have to do the best we can this year without a everydown running threat at RB. But if they have any talent at running the ball, they should be far enough along to be ready to go as sophomores. Lots of true freshmen RBs contribute; if they have the talent, you have to play them the first game and get them ready to contribute something by the second game of their RS freshmen year when you have a huge hole for them to fill.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-17-2015, 10:14 AM

The plan was to get them carries against USM but when only get 4 plays in the 1st qtr & a half & you're stuck in a dog fight through the 3rd qtr it makes it difficult. So do you really want to gamble on getting a guy his 1st meaningful carries against LSU? I wish Dontavian & Aeris would've got more touches against USM but it didn't happen. I expect them to get more this Saturday & for their workload to increase as the season goes on. I'm sorry I don't think what they've done in 2 games is a set in stone look of what will happen the rest of the season.

Really Clark?
09-17-2015, 10:14 AM
You should not be surprised at any of this. Mullen is known for playing the wrong guy. Bell over Swedenburg, Perkins over Robinson, etc. I don't always understand it, but I try to give him the benefit of the doubt because he is the one at practice seeing them every day.

Wait, didn't Swedenberg injury his hamstring and by mid season was having some low short kicks? Like around the Kentucky game or something? I may be misremembering

mic
09-17-2015, 10:15 AM

If Nick is projected anything higher than a 4th round , I expect him to be gone.. It's amazing the kid is still in school after all that went on... Props to him.... And props to those who helped him and steered him in the right direction..

Bubb Rubb
09-17-2015, 10:18 AM
Wait, didn't Swedenberg injury his hamstring and by mid season was having some low short kicks? Like around the Kentucky game or something? I may be misremembering

Swedenberg did miss a game due to injury, but he returned. I distinctly recall he and Bell alternating and he significantly outperformed Bell. As the season went on, Bell got more of the reps and Swedenberg got less. I figured there was something behind the scenes that got him in the doghouse because he was clearly the better punter. He was on the Ray Guy watch list.

Jarius
09-17-2015, 10:18 AM
Barry Sanders would probably have struggled with running the ball against LSU Saturday night with that game plan. Our running game works based on the quarterback being a running threat. Until we decide that Dak needs to be Dak instead of Tyler, we are going to get the same results as the first two weeks.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-17-2015, 10:22 AM
Swedenberg did miss a game due to injury, but he returned. I distinctly recall he and Bell alternating and he significantly outperformed Bell. As the season went on, Bell got more of the reps and Swedenberg got less. I figured there was something behind the scenes that got him in the doghouse because he was clearly the better punter. He was on the Ray Guy watch list.

2013 Stats

Swedenburg 25 punts - 42.5yd avg - 6 punts Inside 20 - 7 punts 50yds+

Bell 24 punts - 41.2yd avg - 14 punts Inside 20 - 4 punts 50yds+

They were pretty even

ShotgunDawg
09-17-2015, 10:27 AM
The plan was to get them carries against USM but when only get 4 plays in the 1st qtr & a half & you're stuck in a dog fight through the 3rd qtr it makes it difficult. So do you really want to gamble on getting a guy his 1st meaningful carries against LSU? I wish Dontavian & Aeris would've got more touches against USM but it didn't happen. I expect them to get more this Saturday & for their workload to increase as the season goes on. I'm sorry I don't think what they've done in 2 games is a set in stone look of what will happen the rest of the season.

This is what upsets me. Is our coaching staff scared of players making mistakes?

It's going to be hard for MSU to ever win a championship when you aren't using all of our resources to insure that the most talented players are on the field.

So, are you saying that if Williams & Lee would've gotten 5 carries a piece against USM instead of 1, they would have been used more against LSU?

That's ridiculous IMO. Put you best players on the field & attack the other team, instead of this conservative, apprehensive crap that got us beat against Bama last year & LSU this year.

The coaching staff has completely dropped the ball here & I'm beginning to get frustrated with the media because they refuse to see it & instead offer excuses.

That being said though, I do wish the SEC wouldn't play any conference games till the 3rd week of the season. There is too much at stake to put team out there that don't have film on the other team & are working in young players.

Bubb Rubb
09-17-2015, 10:29 AM
Hang time? Fair catches? Return yardage?

The numbers don't tell the whole story.

HoopsDawg
09-17-2015, 10:30 AM
Guys, it's not like we have Nick Chubb or Leonard Fournette sitting on the bench. Shumpert is our best overall RB. I would say Aeris may bring something different to the table and he will get some carries on Saturday. I don't think he would have made a difference against LSU though.

We lost LSU b/c of our first half gameplan and Dan's f'ing up the final 30 seconds.

Really Clark?
09-17-2015, 10:32 AM

Well looking the box scores I'm not sure about that. Bell never punted until the 6th game against Bowling Green. He avg 41, 41.7, and 47.6 in those next three games. Swedenberg tried the next game against Kentucky but avg 36 yards and couldn't play against So Car and A & M. Bell had that awful game at Kyle field. Swedenberg came back for Bama and was 5-41.4 and Bell had one in that game for 47. Swedenberg was bad against Ark 2-35 and Bell 1-39. Bell then finished the Egg Bowl with 8-41.8. I think he just couldn't get healed and we didn't have a choice. And it wasn't like every game Bell was bad in fact in the 6 of 7 reg season games he was avg 43 yards per. A & M just taints our image so much. Rightfully so. He was horrible that game. But Swedenberg wasn't even able to go for that game or So Car.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-17-2015, 10:33 AM

Sorry Swedenburg had 7 Fair Catches & Bell had 9. Return yardage for the season we only allowed 78yds on 13 returns so neither gave up many return yards. Looks pretty even to me.

ShotgunDawg
09-17-2015, 10:35 AM
Guys, it's not like we have Nick Chubb or Leonard Fournette sitting on the bench. Shumpert is our best overall RB. I would say Aeris may bring something different to the table and he will get some carries on Saturday. I don't think he would have made a difference against LSU though.

We lost LSU b/c of our first half gameplan and Dan's f'ing up the final 30 seconds.

This is the problem. How is Shumpert your best overall running back?

We misevaluated this position. Plain & simple. I can't even think of a junior college running back that we've missed on in recruiting. The staff must have really bought into Shumpert for some reason

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-17-2015, 10:38 AM

Damn that's scary with the lack of depth on the D line and lack of recruits in the current class. Next year could be a disaster and has it has me concerned that Mullen will see it to. I really hope I'm wrong.

Really Clark?
09-17-2015, 10:40 AM

Well there is no question in the second half of that season Bell had much better hang time but if you have the time to go and chart each punt go ahead. But it was evident that Swedenberg lost hang time. Fair catches 7 for Swedenberg in 25 punts and 9 for Bell in 24 punts. Inside the 20, 14 for Bell 6 for Swedenberg. But circumstances can change that number.

Not mention Swedenberg was injuried. So Dan wasn't just playing favorites like you say but if he was Swedenberg was a Senior so he would have stayed with him regardless because that is the narrative right? He only plays upperclassman.

Matty Dispatch
09-17-2015, 10:45 AM
If you are right and none of these running backs are going to cut it, and an evaluation error was made, then it is what it is. That's just how it goes. And Mullen has made many more excellent evaluations of guys who turned out to be diamonds in the rough than high potential guys who flamed out.

Someone from this group will emerge. The coaching staff doesn't want to put anyone out there until they are absolutely ready - which has always been their thought process for better or worse. Once the OL gets things together we'll see much better production.

ShotgunDawg
09-17-2015, 10:57 AM
If you are right and none of these running backs are going to cut it, and an evaluation error was made, then it is what it is. That's just how it goes. And Mullen has made many more excellent evaluations of guys who turned out to be diamonds in the rough than high potential guys who flamed out.

Someone from this group will emerge. The coaching staff doesn't want to put anyone out there until they are absolutely ready - which has always been their thought process for better or worse. Once the OL gets things together we'll see much better production.

You don't have much room for recruiting whiffs when you aren't a top 10 recruiter

Why aren't Williams & Lee ready after being on campus for 15 months?

HoopsDawg
09-17-2015, 11:03 AM
You don't have much room for recruiting whiffs when you aren't a top 10 recruiter

Why aren't Williams & Lee ready after being on campus for 15 months?

Dude, they are ready. They are going to play Saturday. I'm just saying don't expect them to look much better than Shumpert.

Johnson85
09-17-2015, 11:22 AM
The plan was to get them carries against USM but when only get 4 plays in the 1st qtr & a half & you're stuck in a dog fight through the 3rd qtr it makes it difficult. So do you really want to gamble on getting a guy his 1st meaningful carries against LSU?

No, I want them to get meaningful carries against USM. You're acting like it was an accident that they didn't get carries against USM. All we had to do to get them carries was give them carries. It's not rocket science. Shumpert is clearly not a good answer. If either Williams or Lee has the potential to be a good answer this year, then our staff 17ed up royally by not playing them against USM. I'm not saying they did, I'm just saying either they did, or Lee and Williams are not the answer this year, and honestly if they're not the answer this year when the bar is so low, it will probably never be a good thing for us if they are the best answer we have. RB is the one position we should not have a problem filling and we need to figure out something for next year and the future.

I wish Dontavian & Aeris would've got more touches against USM but it didn't happen. I expect them to get more this Saturday & for their workload to increase as the season goes on. I'm sorry I don't think what they've done in 2 games is a set in stone look of what will happen the rest of the season.

Two games in may not be a set in stone look of what will happen the rest of the season, but we have such a need at the position they play, it's not reasonable to expect them to give us any meaningful improvement this season unless you think Mullen 17ed up by not playing them against USM or LSU. If they have the ability to help us this year, you have to get them carries against USM so that we have a shot of a running threat against LSU.

BhamDawg
09-17-2015, 11:26 AM
This is what upsets me. Is our coaching staff scared of players making mistakes?

Of course CDM is, and it's his biggest flaw. And its not just with 2 RS Freshman RBs, it's with a 5th year Senior QB. All you have to do is look at our first 2 drives last Saturday. Two third and longs and you call a QB keeper both times.

I can deal with players making mistakes, I can't deal with him handcuffing the offense.

smootness
09-17-2015, 11:39 AM
It's going to be hard for MSU to ever win a championship when you aren't using all of our resources to insure that the most talented players are on the field.

Ensure.

Sorry, that's just a pet peeve of mine.

mic
09-17-2015, 11:53 AM
Holloway had and did just what he should do against LSU..
5 carries for like 37 yards.. If he can give us that and a little more every SEC game we would have all taken that before the season started ..,

The biggest concern is Dak not running the ball.. If Dak gave us his normal 15-20 carries for 100 yards+ that would open up more running options for The other backs and open up passing game even more..

It is concerning that Shump can't get going or that Lee and Aries haven't had more production or chances..

We have to get Dak back to what got him here which is Tebow 2.0 .. If that happens we will are going to be Fine..

Remember Aub lost to LSU ( it was in Baton Rouge) couple years ago early in the season and it worked out pretty good for them..
Let's all pump the brakes a little .. now if after TAMU we are sitting 0-3 in conference , We will be in major trouble..

msstate7
09-17-2015, 11:57 AM
Holloway had and did just what he should do against LSU..
5 carries for like 37 yards.. If he can give us that and a little more every SEC game we would have all taken that before the season started ..,

The biggest concern is Dak not running the ball.. If Dak gave us his normal 15-20 carries for 100 yards+ that would open up more running options for The other backs and open up passing game even more..

It is concerning that Shump can't get going or that Lee and Aries haven't had more production or chances..

We have to get Dak back to what got him here which is Tebow 2.0 .. If that happens we will are going to be Fine..

Remember Aub lost to LSU ( it was in Baton Rouge) couple years ago early in the season and it worked out pretty good for them..
Let's all pump the brakes a little .. now if after TAMU we are sitting 0-3 in conference , We will be in major trouble..

I think 0-2 in the sec will spell big trouble.

missouridawg
09-17-2015, 11:58 AM
Barry Sanders would probably have struggled with running the ball against LSU Saturday night with that game plan. Our running game works based on the quarterback being a running threat. Until we decide that Dak needs to be Dak instead of Tyler, we are going to get the same results as the first two weeks.

This. Shump will become a much better RB when the best running threat on the team is actually a threat to run.

BhamDawg
09-17-2015, 12:02 PM

He doesn't even need to give us that much. 2-3 scrambles, 4-5 keepers on the zone read, and a sneak or two on third and short; we will go a long way this season.

This no scrambling, no zone read keeping version of Dak, is a recipe for the Birmingham Bowl.

HSVDawg
09-17-2015, 12:03 PM
Who saw Josh Robinson leaving early?

Robinson leaving early was far from shocking or unpredictable. Pretty much no running back with any potential NFL career aspirations is ever going to stay in college for 5 years, and in most cases they don't even stay for 4. The window to make money is simply too small for that position. You pretty much have a clock that starts running when you take your first college snap and goes for about 10 years on average (a little longer if your lucky, a little shorter if you aren't) before your body starts to break down. Knowing what Robinson came from, its a small miracle he even came back for a 4th year.

Sacrifice
09-17-2015, 12:04 PM
If Lee gets 8-10 carries Saturday, they'll be no doubt who the best back is.

maroonmania
09-17-2015, 12:15 PM

And if you had asked Knox or the other coaches about the running backs in 2013 they would have said the exact same thing about LaDarius Perkins even though Josh Robinson was sitting right there on the bench. Just because somebody does everything right off the field (practice habits, workouts, etc.) doesn't necessarily make them the best on the field. I mean we had a talented back like Robinson on the team for 4 freakin' years and only got one year's production out of him because apparently he couldn't stay in the good graces of the coaching staff.

bulldawg28
09-17-2015, 12:21 PM

We misevaluated this position. Plain & simple. I can't even think of a junior college running back that we've missed on in recruiting. The staff must have really bought into Shumpert for some reason

Shump was a hell of a safety in highschool that would knock your dick in the dirt and make plays on the football. No lie he's got NFL potential there.

dawgs
09-17-2015, 12:35 PM
Dude, they are ready. They are going to play Saturday. I'm just saying don't expect them to look much better than Shumpert.

Sorry but when you have a known quantity out there struggling, sometimes you need to see what the unknown qualities bring to the table. Maybe Lee and/or Williams are gameday players and non practice all-stars. But what I do know is shumpert isn't a gameday all-star at RB.

dawgs
09-17-2015, 12:52 PM
Of course CDM is, and it's his biggest flaw. And its not just with 2 RS Freshman RBs, it's with a 5th year Senior QB. All you have to do is look at our first 2 drives last Saturday. Two third and longs and you call a QB keeper both times.

I can deal with players making mistakes, I can't deal with him handcuffing the offense.

Mullen is just so damn conservative so often. Wanting to let the offense catch a breather when they have the D on their heels? Playing the end of halves extremely conservative. Extremely conservative 3rd down play calls. Not willing to put younger, more talented guys out there ahead of upper classmen who clearly aren't sec players (primarily looking at safety and RB right here). So what if peters gets burned deep a couple times, if he has the quickness and instincts to cut off 80% of the passes that eat us up between the safeties and LBs over the middle, it's probably a net positive gain.

Dawg61
09-17-2015, 12:54 PM
I think a big reason we aren't seeing successful runs from Shump is because the wrong types of running plays are being called for his skillset. I see a lot of Shump going North/South during the start of the play instead of him just shooting straight forward. There's not much shake to his game so I'd prefer to see Shump sprinting straight forward and blowing up the first LB he sees and Holloway attacking the edges. If Shump isn't asked to run as hard as he can straight forward it's going to be a failed run everytime. He has one ability as a RB. It's straight. No dancing. No moves. No missing tackles. Straight line from A to B. That's it. He's good at that straight line though and he'll have the other teams secondary blowing snot bubbles and tapping out.

drummerdawg
09-17-2015, 01:09 PM

That's what I don't understand. Wasn't there talk last year about Shump playing defense? I specifically remember reading where he was asked about playing defense and he said he would be fine with it and actually liked defense so he could hit people (or something along those lines). If that's all true then that just tells me that coaches weren't that high on him as a RB or either they had plans for another back being the main guy.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-17-2015, 01:13 PM
That's what I don't understand. Wasn't there talk last year about Shump playing defense? I specifically remember reading where he was asked about playing defense and he said he would be fine with it and actually liked defense so he could hit people (or something along those lines). If that's all true then that just tells me that coaches weren't that high on him as a RB or either they had plans for another back being the main guy.

Fans said that the coaches never had any intention on moving him to defense. He was asked about that during an interview because he was doing well on kick coverage & it kind of grew legs & spread through message boards.

BankerDog
09-17-2015, 01:15 PM
At this point in time, I'm really pissed we ran Derrick Milton off. We would've needed him last year and this year.

sleepy dawg
09-17-2015, 01:17 PM

This cannot be accurate. After Jameon's 5000th mistake, he kept going back to him. I think they have some predetermined plan for guys that they rarely deviate from.

I agree with Shotgun, I think we are very likely to see Shump as #1 and Holloway as #2 all year. The others will get a few looks here and there, but won't factor into any major SEC game this season. I'm not basing this on 2 games, I'm basing this on 6 years.

AROB44
09-17-2015, 01:18 PM
What about Alec Murphy? " Arguably, the top running back prospect in the state of Missouri"

Really Clark?
09-17-2015, 01:34 PM
At this point in time, I'm really pissed we ran Derrick Milton off. We would've needed him last year and this year.

I loved Milton and loved the way he handled his transfer as well. But he did not get 400 at McNeese St and was about 40-50 yards less from being their #6 Rusher last year. He was #3. That doesn't look like an SEC back against that type of competition. And really the fumbles in his big SEC moments, just can't happen.

BrunswickDawg
09-17-2015, 01:49 PM
You mean the Derrick Milton who couldn't crack the 2 deep at McNeese or some other Derrick Milton?

BullDog
09-17-2015, 02:01 PM
Your understanding is underdeveloped

SallyStansbury
09-17-2015, 02:39 PM
our coaching staff scared of players making mistakes?

This is the driver behind everything our team does. Dan Mullen hates to be wrong. He hates for someone to make a mistake, ever. I hate mistakes too, but being wrong or making a mistake is part of taking risks and in order to win, we have to be able to expose ourselves to risks periodically.....for sure enough to keep our opponents guessing.

Our coaches, [Mullen] would rather give up 15 consecutive passes underneath with the CB's playing 10 yrds off the ball than get beat on a deep route one time. Both outcomes result in negatives for us, but we have the control to stunt/twist/send LB's etc....and force the hand of the opposition, as opposed to being passive and hoping *they* make a mistake. Guess what, they have seen how we back off and our predictability makes it easy to take advantage of our passive strategy. This is the defensive version of our blah offense. Run Shump with power straight ahead runs for a gain of 0-2 yrds repeatedly because Lee might miss a pass block? Right, gotcha.

I just hope Mullen can self reflect on this and his competitive nature wins out over his controlling fear of being wrong or making an error. He gets paid the big bucks so I hope he figures it out. If we win this game Saturday 27-24 with lots of Shump up the middle, that isn't a good sign. UAB, USM, lots of these teams that we should demolish are staying closer to us than they should....why is that??

Dawg61
09-17-2015, 02:41 PM

No we need Josh Robinson. Mullen shoulda dropped off a gift basket or something.

Really Clark?
09-17-2015, 03:02 PM
This is the driver behind everything our team does. Dan Mullen hates to be wrong. He hates for someone to make a mistake, ever. I hate mistakes too, but being wrong or making a mistake is part of taking risks and in order to win, we have to be able to expose ourselves to risks periodically.....for sure enough to keep our opponents guessing.

Our coaches, [Mullen] would rather give up 15 consecutive passes underneath with the CB's playing 10 yrds off the ball than get beat on a deep route one time. Both outcomes result in negatives for us, but we have the control to stunt/twist/send LB's etc....and force the hand of the opposition, as opposed to being passive and hoping *they* make a mistake. Guess what, they have seen how we back off and our predictability makes it easy to take advantage of our passive strategy. This is the defensive version of our blah offense. Run Shump with power straight ahead runs for a gain of 0-2 yrds repeatedly because Lee might miss a pass block? Right, gotcha.

I just hope Mullen can self reflect on this and his competitive nature wins out over his controlling fear of being wrong or making an error. He gets paid the big bucks so I hope he figures it out. If we win this game Saturday 27-24 with lots of Shump up the middle, that isn't a good sign. UAB, USM, lots of these teams that we should demolish are staying closer to us than they should....why is that??

Umm...to shoot a pretty big whole in one of your big points. You mentioned UAB staying close, that was on deep bombs not underneath stuff.

SallyStansbury
09-17-2015, 03:30 PM
Yeah, that is right. That receiver was a total ass kicker. He did beat us on multiple long bombs, and I bet Mullen was chewing Collins ass up and down. Maybe deserved.

I would say we should have found more creative ways to get at the QB or bring pressure....assuming Collins was allowed to do this?

I honestly don't recall much else about that game other than it, like USM, was closer than it should have been given the competition level which was the larger point.

It is 3 of our last 4 losses where teams have abused us with completions underneath and over the middle. Tech just ran the same play up the middle 100 times which was more annoying, but Collins F him had checked out and we were unprepared.

Really Clark?
09-17-2015, 03:33 PM
Yeah he was good.

BB30
09-17-2015, 03:45 PM
I think the running game will improve over the next couple of weeks. LSU's defense was legit, I doubt many teams run very successfully on them this year. Against southern Dak had 8 carries for 79 yards not far from a normal game for him. We just need to find a serviceable back doesn't have to be a fournette.

Todd4State
09-17-2015, 06:25 PM
Dan absolutely should have given Lee and Williams more carries against USM. Holloway got seven carries. At least 3-4 of those should have gone to Lee and Williams. Is there not a GA who is assigned the offensive quality control job? We had a 27-13 lead going into the fourth quarter and by that time it was obvious that we had taken complete control. Let our starters play one more series to start the fourth and then bring in the back-ups. Not to mention that we would have had even more snaps had it not been for another hallmark under Dan- special teams blunders including one by Ross and then screwing up the onside kick. Anyone else think that Lee might have wanted to show out in his hometown of Hattiesburg?

If Dan would actually get creative we could solve the running game issue. Move Shumpert to H-Back. And then make Lee and Williams into a two RB tandem. Having Shumpert as another blocker is only going to help our offense line and the running back. It should be common sense that if you are having trouble running the ball to bring in another blocker whether that is a TE or a FB or both. We don't need Fournette, Chubb, or Walter Payton to have a functional running game. It's not like I'm suggesting something earth shattering.

I'm tired of all of the BS from not knowing the playbook/you're not at practice/they don't watch enough film like the coaches would like/they need to work on blocking for pretty much EVERY SINGLE NEW PLAYER that comes in- all the while Lee dominated during the spring game despite not watching enough film. It's ridiculous.

Todd4State
09-17-2015, 06:28 PM

Yes he does. But the problem is Dan never thinks he is wrong. And therefore things never change until he is absolutely forced to change via players graduating. And then he screws it up even further by being cute.

Todd4State
09-17-2015, 06:30 PM
I loved Milton and loved the way he handled his transfer as well. But he did not get 400 at McNeese St and was about 40-50 yards less from being their #6 Rusher last year. He was #3. That doesn't look like an SEC back against that type of competition. And really the fumbles in his big SEC moments, just can't happen.

No kidding. I would go with Holloway over Milton.

TaleofTwoDogs
09-17-2015, 11:04 PM

Hate to say this coach, but I think you also said that we wouldn't have a running back issue this year and you based this on our history of having great backs. I believe we all felt that Shump and Holloway were not the answer but we put our faith in the unknown potential (hype?) of our younger backs. Apparently, the young pups don't have the skill set to play as featured backs or CDM is to stubborn to do otherwise. Not sure we will ever known the full truth.

msstate7
09-17-2015, 11:13 PM

Then obviously we need a transfer from McNeese state bc Milton looked much better than any rb we've put on the field so far this year IMO

Todd4State
09-18-2015, 12:26 AM
Hate to say this coach, but I think you also said that we wouldn't have a running back issue this year and you based this on our history of having great backs. I believe we all felt that Shump and Holloway were not the answer but we put our faith in the unknown potential (hype?) of our younger backs. Apparently, the young pups don't have the skill set to play as featured backs or CDM is to stubborn to do otherwise. Not sure we will ever known the full truth.

The statistics are/were in Coach's favor. If Shumpert, Lee, and Williams each only rushed for 40 yards a game we would have covered Josh's totals from last year +200 yards.

Todd4State
09-18-2015, 12:34 AM
Then obviously we need a transfer from McNeese state bc Milton looked much better than any rb we've put on the field so far this year IMO

Milton has gotten a LOT of mileage out of his game against Jackson State. When he got his shot against SEC teams, he fumbled- and it killed us against LSU and almost killed us against Arkansas. Give me Shumpert and Holloway over Milton any and every day.